Why i dont really like halo

drunken_master

CAGiversary!
I really wasn't impressed by Halo all that much. It's a mediocre FPS but nothing more. The story line was hardly original, and way over rated. The combat was really bland and straightforward. Sure it looked pretty good but the frame rate issues and MONSTER system specs needed to run it decently was a put off.

Another thing that really turned me off of Halo was Microsoft’s handling of the game. When the independent Bungie was developing it was going to be a PC game with considerably more thought put into it. It was going to have 2 different campaigns. The human campaign was going to fallow several different "space marines" and not this big hulk. The alien campaign was going to be similar in nature to the human one, just with aliens. I can understand changing it a little bit just because but Bungie was forced, when Microsoft bought them out, to fundamentally change the game play. Even with that behind us, the PC halo was supposed to be more like the original idea. Surprise, surprise, the PC version was just another shitty port to PC with little added to keep anyone interested. I remember back when Bungie made good games like ONI, Myth, and the positively ground breaking MARITHON. That is my Bungie. It is a dark day indeed.

only time I ever have the framerate drop for any period of time is when the game is in level loading.

I find the port to the PC to be great. Load times do not exist (like they used to before levels) and playing with a kb/m is really nice. I know its not the best FPS, but its decent and the first half of the game is still really fun

Halo's single player does suck, it's long, boring, and unimaginative.

Halo's multiplayer is excellent, however. I have not played the PC version, but I have played 16 player LAN Halo extensively on the Xbox. For a console shooter, the speed, responsiveness, and overall accuracy of the control is impressive. I couldn't play TimeSplitters2 after Halo and not be frustrated (lag while turning).

The only drawback to the multiplayer is a lack of game modes and stat tracking (spoiled by PD on N64), and the horrible plasma weapons. Ordinarily those shortcomings would kill the experience for me, but the control and pace of frantic team deathmatching with 15 of your friends was just too good to pass up.

WildWop says:
-Single Player Halo: C-
-Multiplayer Halo: A-

I am glad M$ changed the way the game was going to be. Well I take that back, I could care less about the storyline of the Single player mode, because the multiplayer is all that I care about. They should have like made a pimped out single player halo and a second disc strictly for multiplayer. Yes, Halo- a 2 disc set. Good stuff. Halo 2 should incorporate a lot more multi- options and maps and everything. As far as the single player mode. It looks ok, but I don't think that will be the focus.

It was considered so good because its mainly a console FPS. Compared to some PC FPS "Is rather mediocre. Nothing more.". The console markets best FPS since Halo is Golden Eye (Perfect Dark was alright too for its time).

Thats why I couldnt care less about Halo 2. Once Im really playing a game I dont even see the graphics. After the first half hour its all about gameplay. And in the gameplay department Halo is nothing more than average at the very best (compared to PC FPS').

As a console FPS its on top as is very obvious by its sales. Good thing for me I dont play console FPS'. :)

Compared to what was available on consoles at the time, it was a great FPS. Compared to what was on the PC at the time it was dreadfully average.

If you're a devout FPS player on the PC, I have no doubt that Halo would be a great disappointment when it finally got to the PC... It's a servicable port of a game that was out on the Xbox months before.

Even on the Xbox, it wasn't an earthshattering, inovative game... it just took a number of things that were done in previous games and refined them.

So the single player wasn't revolutionary I'll admit, yet I still don't think that makes the game bad. Just because a game doesn't break the mold every time does not mean it's a let down. For it's time Halo was one of the most impressive thing on consoles. Also, the single player campaign is not why the game is so popular it is clearly the multiplayer.

It was a great game when it first came out. Now it is abit dated compared to the current crop of FPS. Still a good game but not mindblowing or anything.

The only thing I really hold against Halo is the level and scenario design. I played through it twice and I don't think I will ever again because the levels and missions are so crappy, but I fault Microsoft for that, not Bungie. I firmly believe that they'll have fixed the problem in Halo 2.

If nothing else, the inclusion of seperate triggers for guns and grenades is something I never want to be without ever again and I thank Halo for that.

I think singleplayer is very boring, especially later in the game. I just can't get into it no matter how hard I try. Multiplayer is where the fun is though. However, there are better multiplayer games on the market.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'] I hate you people.[/quote]

This is any different that before you read this thread how?

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'] I hate you people.[/quote]

This is any different that before you read this thread how?[/quote]

True...

Yeah, single player feels like "oh shi, we gotta ship this now, let's just cut and paste the last levels." I could not believe how many times I was either going in circles, or just felt like I was.

It's all about the multiplayer, but I agree that more weapons would help. They are kinda unbalanced.

Perfect Dark was cool because of the profile stats. Like headshot counts, time played, kills....ect.

I wish they would implement that in again. I don't know of any FPS console games that have a better multiplayer mode than halo unless you mean conkers bad fur day. That was pretty fun.

i'm used to fps on the pc so when i first played halo, i honestly couldn't understand what all the hype was about. i played for 3 hours straight and i was really bored for about 2 hrs and 30 minutes. it seemed so slow and the weapons were so repetitive. however, i've never played the multiplayer and i heard that's where the game shines. :lol:

Of all the bad reviews for halo on this site no one ever mentions halos multiplayer. Honestly if youve never played multiplayer with 2 or more sytems linked andwith several people, you shouldn't rate halo as a whole. If you're only rating the single player campaign, say that, but don't bash the entire game

I played through some of Halo's single player stuff on PC, and lost interest very quickly. Part of it was due to the horrible graphic slow down, so I might go back to it once this miracle patch comes out. And the multiplayer on x-box was cool, but I only had one other person to play with, which gets boring after you've played through all the smaller maps. My biggest complaint, though, is lack of weapon variety. And also, for the single player, I don't mind having the two weapon limit-But for MP, I want to carry unrealistically huge load outs with which to blow my enemy to tiny bits. :)

edit: And I really liked Oni....I've actually been searching my house for the game disc, I feel like playing it again. But yeah, I thought it was a sweet game...Of course, I haven't played it in over a year, so it may just be my mind playing tricks on me.

It's a great console FPS. The problem is PC and Console gamers have different wants and needs- loading times, controls, heck even the level design has to be shaped based on who is playing it. The graphics are good but it's just not a great PC FPS. Not that it's too bad, it just isn't the best.

I liked halo, good game. It was worth the money and thats all I care about. It wasn't perfect but back in 2001 or whenever it came out it was a great game and when I compared it to perfect dark, because I was playing that before I got my xbox, it was 10 times better.

The reason I liked it so much is that I am not a FPS fan. I loved the story line and the game play. I really enjoyed playing it in co-op mode. I thoght the story line was great. It was a great overall game. It wanst too complicated either. 2 weapons and 2 types of gernades.

I liked the Marathon trilogy better, it had co-op and a crazy good story for an fps. You could say the multiplayer is worse but thats just opinion. Halo does have it beat in graphics though, that should be easy to tell. I'm not saying halo is a bad game I just loved Marathon alot more, check it out if you can.(Marathon is oldschool bungie and mostly a mac game but halo has alot of hand me down style from marathon.)

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']DM, you are exactly right. i was NEVER impressed with halo, i always thought it sucked. it was boring and cliched.[/quote]

Not to say you are not entitled to your opinion, but I remember you wanting to get a group together to play the Halo demo several times.

for me Halo was the reason I bought an Xbox. I had pretty much stopped playing games and after having to wait several months at a time for some more good GCN games I plucked down the money and got it when it dropped to 199. I stayed up all night before the SAT's and played it.

Not saying its the greatest game ever and that the fanboys are not dumb for thinking its the greatest game ever, but its no where near as bad as people state.

[quote name='jeffreyjrose']Long live HALO and all of its glory!!![/quote] I remember me talking about Halo 2 so I already knew you loved Halo. And Casey did you lock up that thread about the PS2?

yea its locked. Was playing X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Samurai Showdown 3 while eating pizza all night and did not get on until the last 30 minutes.

as for Halo 2 I think it looks really bad. I will not pre-order and probably will not buy until its less than 30. It will get high marks and end up in the most over rated games of all time catagory

[quote name='sj41'][quote name='jeffreyjrose']Long live HALO and all of its glory!!![/quote] I remember me talking about Halo 2 so I already knew you loved Halo.[/quote]

You wouldn't believe how much we play here at college. Each floor is set up like a LAN connection, so we just have to connect our boxes to our internet jacks to play against each other. There are four boxes on my floor, so we play quite a bit of 16 player. A room two floors above us wanted to get in on the action, so they ran a ethernet cable out their window, across two floors outside the building, and into our room so that they can connect to one of our jacks!!! Blood Gulch is by far the favorite map, with Capture the Flag being the favorite game type. After almost nine months of playing the game HARD CORE, I am starting to lose my craving for it. We still play it quite a bit, but not at the same level. I would say, that for its cost, it has paid for itself time and time again.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']yea its locked. Was playing X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Samurai Showdown 3 while eating pizza all night and did not get on until the last 30 minutes.

as for Halo 2 I think it looks really bad. I will not pre-order and probably will not buy until its less than 30. It will get high marks and end up in the most over rated games of all time catagory[/quote] We never stopped bothering him so it was fun. And what do you mean it looks horrible?

Are you talking about the trailer? Because I saw the 8 minute demonstration and it looked awesome. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that it seemed very similar to the beginning of Halo. And that Cortana said "Nice" after Chief jumped on to the Ghost. It seemed weird. I hope that it will have a great storyline like the first one and that the online isn't a big letdown. And it better not be. :evil:

something about leading all the troops around just irked me. The fact that I am going to have to play baby sitter is what really effects my opinion of the new game

[quote name='CaseyRyback']something about leading all the troops around just irked me. The fact that I am going to have to play baby sitter is what really effects my opinion of the new game[/quote] Well if this is what being a babysitter is like, it looks like I've found a new job.

I think I'm probably going to buy Halo 2 on release day, even though it's going to go against my cheapass principles. Oh well. =/

[quote name='magilacudy']I think I'm probably going to buy Halo 2 on release day, even though it's going to go against my cheapass principles. Oh well. =/[/quote] I'm making an exception on Halo 2 as well.

I can understand that, but the parts of Halo I really hated were all the parts with the dumb troops.

no matter how smart they make them, they are still going to be idiots

I'm going to lay down and go to sleep now. Tomorrow is church time with my mother.

The single player is full of repetitive and unimaginative inside areas. The outdoor areas seem great for the most part, though and I've played through almost all of them in co-op. I thought multiplayer was awesome and my friends and I were only playing 3 players so I could only imagine how much fun 16 player would be. Overall, I find the game as a whole to be overrated. To garner the 9.6+'s is received when Xbox was launched, I think they should have accounted for the single player game as well. While that may have been the case for some reviewers, I just think the overall score was skewed in favor of the multiplayer.

bread's done
Back