Elgato Game Capture Card HD $135.99 on Amazon and Newegg!

R3DNate

CAGiversary!
These things are going to TANK and become extinct after next gen comes out.
Do you know something the rest of us don't? Cause right now neither Sony nor Microsoft has fully detailed their capture and streaming features. Sony has detailed that the Share feature will allow you to upload small pieces of gameplay footage, not entire playthroughs. Also both Sony's Ustream partnership and Microsoft's Twitch partnership only covers games that publishers will allow to use these features.

So how are capture cards going to be extinct? They'll still be the only way to fully record a game and the only way to stream every game. Unless of course Sony and Microsoft changes their minds on what their internal capture/streaming abilities are.

Love my Elgato. $135 is about $25 off of what I paid. The bundled software is a lot better than Hauppauge's as well.

Most PS3 and X360 games aren't even true 1080p.  So if you're thinking of this generation only, it doesn't really matter.   That said it'll be a good future proof for PS4/XB1, which will surely run at native 1080p.  Surely...  

Do you know something the rest of us don't? Cause right now neither Sony nor Microsoft has fully detailed their capture and streaming features. Sony has detailed that the Share feature will allow you to upload small pieces of gameplay footage, not entire playthroughs. Also both Sony's Ustream partnership and Microsoft's Twitch partnership only covers games that publishers will allow to use these features.

So how are capture cards going to be extinct? They'll still be the only way to fully record a game and the only way to stream every game. Unless of course Sony and Microsoft changes their minds on what their internal capture/streaming abilities are.
This is perfect timing, I've been wanting one of these for months to do high quality capture and streaming.

I was also thinking if I can just hold out until PS4 comes out I won't need this but I think you're right. While you might be able to do some limited streaming and simple capturing via there in-system processes, if you want to do anything semi-serious this will probably be your best bet. I'd be very surprised if the PS4 or XBone can do 1080p recording to youtube.

There is still a lot we don't know about the new systems like whether you can stream PS4 games to Twitch so I wouldn't blame anyone for waiting for more info before biting. But this should give you full control over your video and provide greater ability to edit the final product.

These things are going to TANK and become extinct after next gen comes out.

Possible, but unlikely. So far we know that developers / publishers can block out certain parts if they want to (these will most likely be things like endings and copyrighted stuff), which means a capture card is the only way to, in theory, capture anything. We also know that the Wii U does not support this, which means a capture card is still required for Wii U gameplay (don't reply that there is nothing good for the system, because that point is irrelevant). Furthermore, whatever the PS4 / XB1 can do will most likely be inefficient when compared to people with a capture card. Like even if you can extract a video and put it on your computer for editing, you'll probably need to be out of game, have a external HDD, move it back to your computer and then finally edit it. There are also things like having more control over quality, ability to use whatever service you want and much more that makes these things quite handy if you have a use for them. What will happen is that these items will be rebranded as "professional" tier products and sold to the niche group that is into that sort of thing.

This isn't a deal. I been paying attention to capture cards for over a year on amazon and it's always been within $10 dollars of the current price.

I think it was like $140 or $145 a few months back when I last checked.

This isn't a deal. I been paying attention to capture cards for over a year on amazon and it's always been within $10 dollars of the current price.

So... about 10 bucks more than it is now. Still seems like a deal to me, especially since I was thinking about one anyway.

So... about 10 bucks more than it is now. Still seems like a deal to me, especially since I was thinking about one anyway.

Every time something drops 5% off of MSRP I don't consider that a deal else the deal section would be flooded with spam deals.

Every time something drops 5% off of MSRP I don't consider that a deal else the deal section would be flooded with spam deals.

Yet it happens quite often. lol...

I got 5 bucks that says that the thing PS3 does that causes HDMI to not work with capture cards will be in the Xbox One and PS4
HDCP? Possible, but unlikely. Since they are already allowing people to stream / upload gameplay, it would seem silly to block the people with capture cards, since they're the people with install bases. Anyway, even if that does happen, it's quite likely the PS4 and XB1 will support older generations of TV's (I really doubt we will see them both launch as HDMI only devices), which can't be blocked.

Can anyone comment on this product versus the Avermedia Live Gamer Portable (LGP)?  I was considering the HD PVR, Elgato, and LGP, but after reading reviews and watching videos, I've since narrowed it down to the latter two.  Aside from the obvious price difference, right now I'm leaning towards the LGP (easier to use and more features).  Thoughts?

(I will probably wait for the LGP to drop in price, ~$150ish.)

needler420 said:

The cheapest it's been the last couple of months was $159.99 and I almost jumped on that price. They don't tend to get lowered too often. The HD PVR 2 for $99.99 that one day was a really good price for that, but I've been hearing such great things about this one.

@admiralvic it's already been announced that ps4 and xbox1 don't support sdtvs I wouldn't be surprised if it is indeed hdmi only

It will record in 1080p but ps3 and 360 isn't 1080p at all so it wouldn't matter. but if you getting it for next gen then yes...

I kinda want to buy it since I've been wanting to record my gameplay for awhile now. It's a shame my desktop computer isn't in the living room, otherwise this would have been epic.

I do have a laptop I could hook it up to, but probably more trouble than it's worth.

these will see massive price drops when the x1/ps4 hit since these wont really be needed anymore

I have a feeling the dvr functions on both systems will be limited. This device will capture all of the footage as well as classic systems...
I kinda want to buy it since I've been wanting to record my gameplay for awhile now. It's a shame my desktop computer isn't in the living room, otherwise this would have been epic.

I do have a laptop I could hook it up to, but probably more trouble than it's worth.

Not really just get an external had and put the footage on that...

these will see massive price drops when the x1/ps4 hit since these wont really be needed anymore
All the kiddos will be using the "stream/capture" function of the new consoles but the smart people know that it is always better to capture from a separate machine. Also twitch and ustream will be full of "walmart" internet connection people that think they have the internet capability to play online and stream at a decent quality.

@admiralvic it's already been announced that ps4 and xbox1 don't support sdtvs I wouldn't be surprised if it is indeed hdmi only
Not shocking, but definately further supports my "it will not be HDCP" point. As I said there and will say again, it would be hypocritical and illogical to block all record outside of what the device in question can actually do.

Not shocking, but definately further supports my "it will not be HDCP" point. As I said there and will say again, it would be hypocritical and illogical to block all record outside of what the device in question can actually do.
The biggest reason Sony blocks recording with outside devices is because of Blu Rays iirc, allowing recording through HDMI just makes it super easy to rip Blu Ray quality videos, so they had to implement something (even though there's obviously other methods).

So I would be surprised if the PS4/Xbone didn't have this same feature considering they're both Blu Ray players.

The biggest reason Sony blocks recording with outside devices is because of Blu Rays iirc, allowing recording through HDMI just makes it super easy to rip Blu Ray quality videos, so they had to implement something (even though there's obviously other methods).

So I would be surprised if the PS4/Xbone didn't have this same feature considering they're both Blu Ray players.
HDCP is something Intel came up with (common on most bluray players) and was added to the PS3 over movies. However, just because they don't want you to copy movies, doesn't mean you're instantly right. It's possible Sony will implement something that only blocks movies or perhaps the way it's set up to capture video now does the same thing. Remember, Sony implemented something so publishers could choose to block stuff via that, so it's quite possible there is more to it. In either case, I rather not get into a debate about it.

The long / short here is that a lot of companies make money off videos uploaded with HDPVR's (like taking revenue or free advertising), which makes it less likely to ignore these people. Also considering both consoles have implemented a lot of things to give more people this power, it would only piss off the people who are currently doing it (Who wants to spend hundreds on something that is instantly worthless?) and ultimately prove counter productive.

HDCP is something Intel came up with (common on most bluray players) and was added to the PS3 over movies. However, just because they don't want you to copy movies, doesn't mean you're instantly right. It's possible Sony will implement something that only blocks movies or perhaps the way it's set up to capture video now does the same thing. Remember, Sony implemented something so publishers could choose to block stuff via that, so it's quite possible there is more to it. In either case, I rather not get into a debate about it.

The long / short here is that a lot of companies make money off videos uploaded with HDPVR's (like taking revenue or free advertising), which makes it less likely to ignore these people. Also considering both consoles have implemented a lot of things to give more people this power, it would only piss off the people who are currently doing it (Who wants to spend hundreds on something that is instantly worthless?) and ultimately prove counter productive.

Since the PS3 already has HDCP enabled I have no reason to assume that the Ps4 won't be either. Since both the PS4 and XBone will be fully functioning Bluray players there's further reason to believe they'l have HDCP capability. It's possible they could enable HDCP only on video playback but that leaves the door open for the HDCP to be defeated by software modificaion by tricking the system into thinking it's playing back gameplay or something.

Additionally, since they already have partnerships with streaming services it's to their advantage to encourage/force people into using what they've already provided. They want people to use their partnered service. All things considered, it's safer to assume that these new systems will have HDCP, until proven otherwise. If you intend to stream from them it'll be in your best interest to get some sort of HDCP stripper.

That said, I'd totally be interested in this if I had the extra money. People are only focusing on PS3,360, PS4, and XBone, but there's a ton of other consoles out there. When I looked around, one of the best strengths of the El Gato, and why it's the capture card I'd gun for, is that it can take pretty much any resolution in.

http://www.oldschooljunkie.com/2013/03/elgato-game-capture-hd-the-retro-review/

That means you can capture from all your retro consoles! That's why I'd get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since majority here doesn't actually seem to own these types of capture cards and aren't up-to-date with the manufacturers news, here is a post on Facebook from Hauppauge Computer Works when they were at E3 this year:

"Did you know?

The most popular question we received at E3 2013 was "If I buy a new PS4, will I be able to record my gameplay?". So, we asked a number of Sony employees who stopped by our booth to check out the HD PVR 2 demos we were running. And it looks like that, unofficially, gameplay can be recorded with the HD PVR 2. But it also looks like Netflix and Blu-ray movies will not be recordable. Of course it is pretty early to know for sure, but it looks like the PS4 will finally follow the Xbox 360 and not encrypt the HDMI output on gameplay but encrypt 'premium' content using HDCP.

For those of you who have an original HD PVR and want to use it with a PS4, Hauppauge is looking into HDMI to component video converters which will allow your PS4 games to be recorded with the HD PVR using Component video.
"

Source: https://www.facebook.com/hauppaugecomputerworks

Now for those thinking will these things drop in price when the PS4 and XBox One comes out? No they won't. Why?

Cause your PS4 and Xbox One can't record PS3 and Xbox 360 games. (Since they don't actually play them) They can't record Nintendo Wii U games. As well as the entire Playstation 1 and 2 game libraries. Game Cube, regular Wii, Nintendo 64 and all the way down to SNES that displays out via Composite. Any smart phones, tablets, and  Android console device that has a video out capability. You can even record your every actions on PC/Mac with these devices.

All ontop of the fact that the devices I listed above (and more) can be streamed online and/or add live voice commentary to whatever you are recording. (If you are into those kinds of things too.)

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back