FFXIV ARR (PS3/Standard Edition) + $10 Amazon credit

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#31 xRemnant

xRemnant

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

MMOs require a certain amount of subscriptions to be on the green light. The cost monthly fee goes into paying the bills of server, customer support, a team dedicated on making sure the game is running well, a team that is dedicated to producing new content, payment to investors (although FFXIV and WoW investors are the parent company), advertisement, and so on.

All MMOs require a way to make income in a monthly basis. Even Guild Wars 2, a game who's main attraction was the no monthly fee has a cash shop. F2P survive by bringing in new people that are lured into it by the fact you don't have to pay monthly and then using psychology to nickle and dime them. Some people are adamant about refusing to buy anything, and that is fine, but for every few people that is not buying anything, there has to be another person buying x2-10 times more than a P2P game would normally charge you.

I can give you an example because I have done that. I have an account on Perfect World Internation. I started playing that game because is free to play. My inventory was small, I bough a super inventory stone. My bank was small, I bough a bank extension item. Over 2 years I nickle and dime things that I felt I needed. By then I had a nice group of friends in the game and I felt weak so I bough Rank 9 armor. Keep in mind, NO ONE MADE ME BUY IT. By the end of it I was playing a game with little updates, outdated graphics, and crappy story and had spent $2,000. I had fun, but when I think about it. I could of played FFXI, a much superior game for 10 years and still not spent that much. Is my fault for spending it and that is fine, I can live with it. I'm just telling you that no one goes into a F2P thinking they going to spend a dime. It just happens, and btw; my Rank 9 gear is not even the best anymore, Stage 3 is out and refines to +12 makes my armor look like nothing. There are people who spent way more than I did, you can tell the cash shop buyers by their ability to 1 hit kill you.

I'm not saying F2P model is bad, but is definitely not in the best interest of consumer. They give you limitations to TRY to manipulate you into buying things without ever saying so. Because money is sporadic (they make huge profit a month then little profit the next one), content is always lacking. They may have an update every so often but most update you will see will be cash shop items being introduced. There is a heavier emphasis on making money creating items than actual game content.

In a P2P model, you know you pay such and such every month. The developers focus on providing the best experience profit because that's how they make their money. They don't have to think up of new way to nickle and dime, they can focus on the stuff that actually matter. Everyone paying a similar fee, everyone starts the same. You can't just buy your way to being the best, everyone is in the same playing field. My personal favorite is that most people who are playing a P2P are there to stay. Of course people quit, but having played F2P (PWI, Tera), I can tell you people quit a lot faster or are constantly talking about a different F2P they look forward too. I kept hearing about Blade & Soul, Scarlet Blood, Rift, and ESO on Tera all the time in area chats. 

I really do understand that people don't want to pay to play. For those people, I recommend they play Tera, Rift. or Guild Wars 2 as they to me the current best B/F2P games. Some people like to eat at fast food, but I prefer a buffet.

#32 lkx

lkx

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

F2P MMORPGS are utter garbage. Pay to win makes everything irrelevant. if you don't want to pay a monthly fee, then don't play. I will support the game like I supported FFXI for the past 9 years.

#33 EdgeCrusher36

EdgeCrusher36

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:56 PM

I'd much rather play a FF MMO and pay for it than play half the shit that comes out as F2P.  Just like Ikx just said.

#34 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:05 AM

^Wow, I feel bad you or anyone to have spent so much on F2P models. I like the Pay Once to Play model best (Guild Wars). Monthly fee model makes me feel obligated to login daily with my free time, to get the most out of the subscription, and I don't like that. I played Perfect World International for 6 months w/o ever spending a dime. I bought Guild Wars and expansions, but never used the cash shop. Played that one off/on for years.

I doubt you can pay on PSN credit because it uses Crystal Currency. FFXIV used to sell "Crystals" similar to how other mmo sells their games subscription via prepaid cards. I believe this service will return once the game gets going.

WTF is this? Crystal Currency? They don't accept Credit Cards?

#35 Fairy

Fairy

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:14 AM

I bit although I also like the pay once to play model, like the D3 and SC2. 

I wonder do you need the disc of FF XIV to play on PC after the initial install? For other PC games that I've played, you can install the client online and only use the activation code that comes with the disc. The disc is pretty much useless. Is it also true for FF XIV?

How about the PS3 version? Do you need the disc to play or does it also download the game to your HD to play? 

#36 Aliens

Aliens

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:52 AM

I bit although I also like the pay once to play model, like the D3 and SC2.

I wonder do you need the disc of FF XIV to play on PC after the initial install? For other PC games that I've played, you can install the client online and only use the activation code that comes with the disc. The disc is pretty much useless. Is it also true for FF XIV?

How about the PS3 version? Do you need the disc to play or does it also download the game to your HD to play?

I can confirm that the Windows version does not require a disc beyond install (or never at all, just activating your key online).

Not sure about PS3, though I would bet that's a no unless you buy digitally, or if it ever goes free to play.

#37 xRemnant

xRemnant

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:07 AM

Crystal currency is just a way to keep track of how much you paid/can pay per month easier (because there is multiple payment methods). You buy the currency with credit card (or cash prepaid cards) then apply it to your account or you can just have it so that it automatically withdraw the monthly fee. The system is more for people who can't pay with credit card but ya is not any different than any other P2P MMO. Just pay a monthly fee auto deducted from CC and you good to go.

There is multiple stages of fee you can choose depending on the amount of character you want.

Entry is $12.99 (and is the one i recommend everyone) which is 1 character per server and 8 total.

Standard is $14.99 which is I believe 8 character per server and 40 total.

Now standard can cost can be lowered if you pay months ahead.

6 month ahead makes it the same as entry, $12.99, but for 8 chars and 40 total.

I'd stick with entry for now since there's really not much reason to make more than 1 character.

It is as you say, don't need the disk regardless of platform. It is only to install the game, but if you pre-order the game, you going to get the full client ahead of time. So you won't even need to install it off the disk. Disk will just be there in case someday you uninstall it and/or want to install it on a different system. The only thing that will matter from your retail purchase is the registration key.

Beta Phase 4 will be open beta so if anyone wants to try it, that's the best time to go about it. 

Latest world tour trailer (PC/PS3): http://www.youtube.c...5dyfENwA#at=120

Product info: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/product/

For beta registration: https://secure.squar...996642e21068e45

#38 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RAPADOOOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:56 AM

So if you don't need the disc past the initial install, why pay $40 for it?

uc.png

#39 Not Eric

Not Eric

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:31 AM

Wasn't around to mess with the beta last weekend, so I'll be looking forward to trying it out tomorrow. Really only put a few weeks into FFXI so we'll see how this goes and if it gets me to buy. Decent deal, though. Hopefully it gets a good user base in the door (and that they stick around past the first month).

NotRic.png

#40 StryderOmega

StryderOmega

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:11 AM

I can confirm that the Windows version does not require a disc beyond install (or never at all, just activating your key online).
Not sure about PS3, though I would bet that's a no unless you buy digitally, or if it ever goes free to play.

If it follows the model of FFXI of the PS2 days, it will hopefully not need the disc after install.

xivpads.png

#41 orcishlad

orcishlad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:32 AM

I've been playing the beta the last couple weekends and I'm hooked. I'm staying up late tonight so I can play a little bit more when the next trial starts, ha.

I've got a question, though: If I order the PS3 version and activate the key on my Square Enix account, I'll be able to download the PC installer and play on my PC too, correct? So I don't have to double dip on both PS3 and PC versions?

#42 xRemnant

xRemnant

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

You have to double dip. They both have their own registration code. The only way you won't have to double dip is if you are a 1.0 account holder (In which case you bought the old FFXI). You won't have to double dip in expansion packs in the future. Just for the initial game. At lease that's the current understanding of it.

I know there's quite a large number of people buying PC copy of the game just for the pre-order bonus and won't need the registration code. Can probably find it cheap.

#43 orcishlad

orcishlad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:42 AM

You have to double dip. They both have their own registration code. The only way you won't have to double dip is if you are a 1.0 account holder (In which case you bought the old FFXI). You won't have to double dip in expansion packs in the future. Just for the initial game. At lease that's the current understanding of it.

Ah. Oh well. I guess I'm getting the PC version, then.

Thank you.

#44 mack1120

mack1120

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

hmm i am playing in the beta on the ps3 and am wondering if i can just buy the pc version for the code because it is cheaper, and still play on the ps3 since i allready have the game downloaded.

#45 Fairy

Fairy

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:09 AM

hmm i am playing in the beta on the ps3 and am wondering if i can just buy the pc version for the code because it is cheaper, and still play on the ps3 since i allready have the game downloaded.

Beta is different from the final game. I don't think you can login from PS3 with the PC code, but you can try. However, why is PC cheaper? Amazon give $10 credit to PS3 purchases only, which makes them at the same price, minus tax. 

#46 mack1120

mack1120

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:12 AM

Beta is different from the final game. I don't think you can login from PS3 with the PC code, but you can try. However, why is PC cheaper? Amazon give $10 credit to PS3 purchases only, which makes them at the same price, minus tax. 

green man gaming has a 25% off voucher on the pc version dropping it down to 22.50 http://prntscr.com/1e5lk3

#47 Fairy

Fairy

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:52 AM

green man gaming has a 25% off voucher on the pc version dropping it down to 22.50 http://prntscr.com/1e5lk3

does it also come with all preorder bonuses? - It does. I guess green man has no tax too so that makes the deal even sweeter. Decision decision. The CE at $37.5 looks really nice. 

#48 Jommy

Jommy

Cool Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:47 AM

Strange that they still haven't offered the $10 credit with the CE.

#49 xRemnant

xRemnant

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:04 AM

I don't think they will offer the $10 off with collector. Amazon usually don't offer deals to collectors.

The GMG deal is nice but its digital only. Still is the cheapest way to get it if you want digital PC. I purchased standard off them (just registration key/preorder bonus for my gf) and wanted to change it to CE but could not. Their sales are final even if its just a pre-order, just a warning in that regard.

As for buying PC and playing on PS3. Can't; PS3 and PC versions are different registration keys. You have to buy both version if you want to play on both consoles. If you had the old FFXIV 1.0 then you don't need to buy a PC version, you get it for "free"(already own it). I'd still pre-order it for the bonus but that's just me.

#50 xRemnant

xRemnant

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:43 AM

Well so long for the possibility of collector edition having the $10 off. They sold out!

http://www.amazon.co...3/dp/B00CYNTLDS

Standard still a nice deal with $10 bonus. PC and PS3 Physical CE are sold out with over a month till launch. Wohoo sales look healthy!

#51 SgtWiggles

SgtWiggles

Artist formally known as dgwillia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

Glad I put an early order in for the CE. Had one at GS too, ill just cancel one near launch
Posted ImagePosted Image

#52 EdgeCrusher36

EdgeCrusher36

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

Aww crap.  I preordered the PC CE from SE site, but I forgot to get my copy of the ps3 one from amazon.  Oh well.  At least me and the wife can play on pc still.  Nothing sucks more though than to think you preordered and didn't though.  Guess I'll have to suffer the gamestop treatment.

#53 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

I don't think they will offer the $10 off with collector. Amazon usually don't offer deals to collectors.

The GMG deal is nice but its digital only. Still is the cheapest way to get it if you want digital PC. I purchased standard off them (just registration key/preorder bonus for my gf) and wanted to change it to CE but could not. Their sales are final even if its just a pre-order, just a warning in that regard.

As for buying PC and playing on PS3. Can't; PS3 and PC versions are different registration keys. You have to buy both version if you want to play on both consoles. If you had the old FFXIV 1.0 then you don't need to buy a PC version, you get it for "free"(already own it). I'd still pre-order it for the bonus but that's just me.

If its like efficient you don't need to have different codes to play on both. You can buy the ps3 version and then torrent the pc client and play on both with one account. Or buy the pc one and some how install it on ps3

Selling GTA V and Ghosts Steel book for $10 and the GTA hat for $15

Deader2818.png

#54 Fairy

Fairy

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

Aww crap.  I preordered the PC CE from SE site, but I forgot to get my copy of the ps3 one from amazon.  Oh well.  At least me and the wife can play on pc still.  Nothing sucks more though than to think you preordered and didn't though.  Guess I'll have to suffer the gamestop treatment.

Newegg still have it for $5 shipping, 3 business day delivery. For some people it's still cheaper than on Amazon due to tax. But the Newegg one didn't mention any pre-order bonus. How does the pre-order bonuses work? If it comes with the key, then it shouldn't be problem. 

#55 Fairy

Fairy

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

If its like efficient you don't need to have different codes to play on both. You can buy the ps3 version and then torrent the pc client and play on both with one account. Or buy the pc one and some how install it on ps3

I think you need to unlock your account to use the PC client first. Here is a Q&A from the square enix forum:

Which of these are possible scenarios when registering copies of the game:
Square Enix Account
- FFXIV Service Account 1 (Windows) < the pre-existing account
- FFXIV Service Account 2 (PS3)

Square Enix Account
- FFXIV Service Account (Windows & PS3)

If they are, does that mean in the first case service account 1 is PC only and service account 2 is PS3 only? Also, in the latter case, would I be able to play on the PC and PS3 at the same time?

Both scenarios are possible:

"in the first case service account 1 is PC only and service account 2 is PS3 only?"
This is correct.

"in the latter case, would I be able to play on the PC and PS3 at the same time?"
Unfortunately, you won't be able to log in with both at the same time.

I currently possess a legacy account for the PC. Can you tell me if these hypothetical scenarios are correct?

a. I purchase the PS3 collector's edition, and register the product code and bonus item code to my current service account.
→ I receive all of the bonus in game items on my legacy account, and can play on the PC or PS3. I cannot play with two accounts, and only one FF14 service account shows up on my Square Enix account.

b. I purchase the PS3 collector's edition, but register both the product code and bonus item code to a separate service account.
→There is no change to the legacy account, and I can only log in from my PC. I can play on two separate accounts at the same time, one of them being PS3 only with my all my bonus items. My Square Enix account also shows two FFXIV service accounts.

c. I purchase the PS3 collector's edition, I register the product code to a separate account, but the bonus item code to my legacy account.
→My legacy account has the preorder bonus items, and I can only log in to it from my PC. I can also play on my PS3 account separately at the same time. My Square Enix account also shows two FFXIV service accounts.

All three scenarios are correct with this exception:
The collector's edition bonus items are included in the product code, so any registration of the product code to a specific service account would include all the bonus items solely to that service account. Pre-order bonus item codes however are separate and can be registered to any service account.

#56 xRemnant

xRemnant

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

New egg does not have the Pre-order bonus. I'd recommend Gamestop for CE + pre order item if wan't the physical items. If not craving the physical items just get standard and do digital upgrade after launch for $20 more. Is cheaper than physical version. Green Man Gaming 25% off deal is even better if you don't care about having any sort of physical item.

A reminder to everyone who is currently in the beta that Wednesday 7/10/2013 @2AM PDT is Beta until Monday 2AM PDT. This will be the last Phase 3 beta. The following one after this will be open beta for everyone.

#57 McFryyyyyy

McFryyyyyy

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:40 PM

ahh so the code you get from preordering is useless :( just Preordered because I can't get the PS3 client.

Kamagii.png

#58 xRemnant

xRemnant

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

Phase 4 is Open beta and carries over to the main game. After Phase 4 Beta there's a few days of nothing then Early Access which is like 3-5 days before launch in which everyone who pre-order gets to play the launch game early. It is then that your pre-order (and everyone elses) will work to download the client and play.

Sadly I don't have a PS3 Beta code to give away or I'd help you bjstucker.

#59 McFryyyyyy

McFryyyyyy

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:45 AM

its totally no problem thanks for the info going to check the lodestone hopefully they know when open beta starts.

Kamagii.png

#60 jimmyy201

jimmyy201

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

Already pre ordered. Don't have any friends that play, but im playing the beta and I'm really enjoying this game. Never played any MMOs in the past.

If anyone is getting this my PSN is DaBears201. Not sure how to add people in game though.