NCAA Online Dynasty

ccjmli

CAGiversary!
I'm considering starting an online dynasty if there's some interest among the CAG community for it. A few years ago I did a madden league with some friends and we had a blast. Unfortunately, none of them play NCAA. I'm flexible on the rules, we can vote if we get a group and use email to stay in contact with weekly updates and the occasional trash talk. When we did the madden league the rules were pretty simple, and I'm thinking of something similar here:

Heisman difficulty

Advance every few days (basically, everyone tries to play at least every few days, understanding that life can get in the way and we will extend time for reasonable excuses, but also knowing that if you are the last user to play your game for the week we are going to all peer pressure you into playing your game as soon as reasonably possible, and perhaps sim your game with your permission if you cause undue delay or don't respond to the email chain)

No restarts. I want players that don't think that winning is so important to you that they can't handle losing to the computer occasionally. If everyone is 11-0, then where's the fun in that? I know that last year Madden showed everyone in the league if you restarted your game. If that's in this game, hopefully I can override your 42-0 win when I see you restarted the game. If not, we'll have to come up with some other penalty. If your star QB gets hurt, don't restart, just cry on the email chain and adapt.

I think it's fun to all be in the same conference so there is plenty of head to head matchups, but it might be just as fun to be in different conferences all battling for the top few spots. I dont care if everyone wants a 5 star team as long as they dont restart the one or two games a year they may lose. This could be voted on.

Anyone interested? I'd much prefer five players like I described to twenty players that won't pay attention, so if you think you fit the bill and are interested and won't quit if you find your team 1-3 in year 1, then post something below. We can work out details, emails, PSN names by direct message. If the league goes well, we could even carry it over to madden with imported rosters.

I am down for this, though with my random play times, I would be more interested if we didn't all choose the same divisions as I can squeeze in a game against the CPU easily every few days, but trying to match my times with a human opponent every couple of days will be too much for me to commit to. I know we should have some head to head matchups, so I am not opposed to never playing someone else. It will just be easier when its not an ongoing expectation.

I'm surprised. I've seen plenty of activity on similar XBOX 360 threads. No one on PS3 here plays sports games? Something about the suggested format that people don't like?

360 definitely dominates here for sports games..they have some great sports leagues. I was hoping a few would try it out though. Hopefully some people will hop in still.

Yanks, you want to start this thing tomorrow night for the weekend or wait a few more days to see if anyone else is interested?

Lets wait a few more days..would rather try to get one or two more people in than rush to start.

Cmon PS3ers, lets do this.

Yanksfan, got a direct message from another who is interested, so hopefully that's 3 now. One or two more would be perfect. We won't do everyone in the same conference.

Yeah I talked to CC and this sounds like what I've wanted to start but could never get any interest in it.  I haven't had much luck with most of the leagues I've joined in CAG but hopefully this will be different.  It makes much more sense (to me atleast) that a league would be filled with a smaller more dedicated base that doesn't require everyone to be in the same conference.  Games will get done quicker without the inconvenience of having to setup times with other users, recruiting will be much easier, also there is a much higher possibility two users will play each other in the title game.  I'm not sure why more people don't look for smaller leagues like this, or maybe I'm just being nostalgic from back in my college days when we'd run dynasties with the roomies. I love your idea CC and hopefully we can get this going. 

If either of you are interested in doing some scrimage games in the meantime please add me.  Probably swing by TRU and pick up the game today if you are confident this thing will get going.  Haven't really played this game since the 12 version, bought it last year but all my friends flaked out on getting it so I sold it quickly when I couldn't find a dynasty.

My PSN is Shoe_It. You both can add me as well. From my discussions with yanksfan he sounds like a definite, as am I, even if we have only 3.

Yup, I am definitely in and am in the same boat as you two. Though I have had good experiences on CAG (the madden leagues on 360 side are awesome). They just require more commitment than I can offer right now. I can play the CPU consistently and the occasional human matchup, but having to set up human opponents every few days with my schedule right now just doesn't work..though it is way more fun that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking let's give this until Sunday or Monday before we start. We can try to recruit one more in the meantime plus that will leave enough time for the rosters to come out. Anyone have thoughts as to which team they want? Personally, I'm a graduate of the law school at University of Miami, so I'm always interested in playing as the Canes and will probably use them in our league.

We are starting a new NCAA 14 Gameshare group. Please contact rams81 and fmz65 about joining the gaming format. I could probably join as well depending on how often we need to play a game. Sometimes my playing is spotty at best.

For teams I have no idea, I'd like to get the game and look at the rosters.  I was think Ole Miss but I'd have to look first to be sure.  It's pry better to at least wait until the rosters come out anyways.

Rosters are out, I have a set if anyone needs to grab them from me. I am going to be the Iowa Hawkeyes from the Big 10.

Definitely down to have rams, fmz and boosted join with us. All good guys.

Rosters are out, I have a set if anyone needs to grab them from me. I am going to be the Iowa Hawkeyes from the Big 10.

Definitely down to have rams, fmz and boosted join with us. All good guys.
Awww... Thanks Yanks, I try to be a good CAG Member. I am down to play in this league that you are doing. Like I said send a message to Rams81 and fmz65. I have already sent them the download information for the account.

Awesome! Welcome fmz! The first few of us in here discussed it and feel that we don't want to get bogged down by everyone being in the same conf and having to juggle multiple weekly user v user games. If we each a couple user games a season, that seems like a good amount, and it sets up the potential for two of us to square off in the national championship (not to mention the potential for us all scrambling for BCS positioning late in the season). I think I am probably using Miami, but feel free to choose any team, ranked or unranked. Has anyone alerted Rams81? This thing is coming together nicely.

Standard 5 minute quarters. I didn't even know that you could have everyone playing different quarter lengths. Much like the restarting thing, we are all on the honor system. It shouldn't be about piling up stats by playing longer quarters than everyone else, or about being the guy that has to win. I'm looking forward to a competitive league. If I lose my Miami's star HB Duke Johnson for the year in game 1, then so be it. And yeah, I never would've guessed A&M for you :). Tell rams to post his PSN here and let's kick off the league this weekend. Fmz, what's your ID? Yanks, you?

Just unlocked Aaron Hernandez in NCAA 14. Also in my first pack of cards I got one of the Pouncey Twins. Is the game really trying to be that up to date with current news.

This looks like it could be the last NCAA Football. EA and the NCAA have ended their contract with each other.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/7/17/4532348/ncaa-ea-sports-ncaa-football
If I understood a few things correctly, they could still release a college football game though with all the schools, conferences and bowl system since they have to get contracts with them separately anyways. I don't know how accurate that is though, just something I heard.

I am out of town today and Friday so I'll get it set up by Saturday night when I return. I think I have most of the PSN IDs now so I will send out invites as soon as it's ready.

We are starting a new NCAA 14 Gameshare group. Please contact rams81 and fmz65 about joining the gaming format. I could probably join as well depending on how often we need to play a game. Sometimes my playing is spotty at best.
Honestly, comments like this don't quite get me motivated to commit to this dynasty being I haven't even purchased the game.

Then don't.
No need for hostility sir! I probably will pass though, especially if that's the level of commit people are going to give. Unfortunately if it is, this will end up just like all the other leagues. I hope I'm wrong and your league succeeds though, too many of them fall to the waste side quickly.

Honestly, comments like this don't quite get me motivated to commit to this dynasty being I haven't even purchased the game.
Sorry that my comment was unmotivating to you. And like Yanksfan said "then don't join." There has not been a specification on how many games need to be played per week. If it is one to three games per week. I am good. If it was 5 per week or more then that would be a different story. I tend to play my PS3 quite a bit but certain times are better than others.

Some weeks I might play 20-30 hours total while other weeks I would be lucky to get in 5 hours. It all depends.

Sorry that my comment was unmotivating to you. And like Yanksfan said "then don't join." There has not been a specification on how many games need to be played per week. If it is one to three games per week. I am good. If it was 5 per week or more then that would be a different story. I tend to play my PS3 quite a bit but certain times are better than others.

Some weeks I might play 20-30 hours total while other weeks I would be lucky to get in 5 hours. It all depends.
Boosted, no worries. I think a few games a week is good. I also didnt know what to expect when you said your playing time was spotty, but I think we are all adults here, with jobs and other obligations, and its all relative (what you refer to as spotty may be often for someone else). If we can progress the NCAA week every few days I think that's good. Ill set it up Saturday night, let's all get in quickly and get it going, and we will keep this thread running. After you play, let the thread know you played, give them the score and updates if you want, and when it gets to the point that only one of us hasn't played their game, we will get on top of that person to get their game in ASAP so that we can advance. If someone always is lagging behind, we will either sim their game or ask them to leave (which they may want to do anyhow if the pace isn't good for them). Ultimately we wil end up with a few good players who like the pace and love the league. That's the goal.

No need for hostility sir! I probably will pass though, especially if that's the level of commit people are going to give. Unfortunately if it is, this will end up just like all the other leagues. I hope I'm wrong and your league succeeds though, too many of them fall to the waste side quickly.
It is just a little bit hypocritical to call out someone's commitment when you have made none and do not even own the game. Like we have to all prove to you that we are worthy enough for you to join us. We just all want to play the game a certain way and have some fun doing it. Either do it or not. And then you call out the league unnecessarily predicting it will not succeed. Is there any need to do that? No. It just seems like there is a lot of negativity coming from you. Hence my comment and its justification for doing so.

Looking forward to the dynasty CC. I should be around tomorrow night and can hop on to get my team set up. I am fine with an advancement every three days or so. If someone doesn't have time to get to every game, no big deal, we can always sim the game and keep the league moving forward.

FYI, I talked to Rams and he won't be able to participate in NCAA (game is on his cousins PS3), but he is down for Madden if we do something for that (I know I want to).

If this league works out a Madden one would be great too. We could even graduate the players from NCAA into that game. I think we are all on the same page here, so let's just start playing and see what happens. One step at a time. 5 teams in. Advance every few days without strict guidelines (we can give someone an extra day to play if they ask for it), and no restarts. Kickoff tomorrow night.

Don't people need to call teams, are we running it through the online dynasty part or how do we get together in this thing?

I am calling Ohio State.

I think you're the last person to call a team Boosted. :p

If I recall correctly, here is what it looks like then:

Me - Iowa Hawkeyes

you - Ohio St Buckeyes

CC - Miami Hurricanes

FMZ - Texas A&M Aggies

CC will create the dynasty and send us invites to join, where we will pick our teams then.

If this league works out a Madden one would be great too. We could even graduate the players from NCAA into that game. I think we are all on the same page here, so let's just start playing and see what happens. One step at a time. 5 teams in. Advance every few days without strict guidelines (we can give someone an extra day to play if they ask for it), and no restarts. Kickoff tomorrow night.
Agreed on all fronts. Communication is the key guys, just let people know what's going on if you're having trouble finding time to get a game in.

I am a little scared rolling with Iowa, I will probably lose a couple of CPU games even since we will be on Heisman. Their defense is terrible.

Do you have the official OS rosters CC? If not, I uploaded to my locker.

Agreed on all fronts. Communication is the key guys, just let people know what's going on if you're having trouble finding time to get a game in.

I am a little scared rolling with Iowa, I will probably lose a couple of CPU games even since we will be on Heisman. Their defense is terrible.

Great! Ill use y

Great! Ill use your roster. I only have the top 50 or so teams correct. I'm definitely going to lose games with the Canes too. Beastly offense, but defense isn't so hot aside from two or three guys. Ill download from you before I set it up.

Yeah, since I've been out of town a couple days I am itching to play. If everyone can get on tonight at least to sign up I would love to proceed through preseason and get my first game in.

I am setting it up. There's a new feature that we didn't discuss: coach levels and skill tree. At first I was going to go with default. When I chose the Canes, their head coach Al Golden was very highly leveled and I realized this may not be fair to guys like Yanks who are using Iowa, whose coach I can't even name (no offense). So instead I am going to make it so that we all start at level 1 regardless of which coach/team we choose. Any objections? Seems like the fairest way. Golden was maxed out on recruiting for example just seemed like a difficult burden for any coach here with less than that. You will all still retain your program prestige and the pluses that come with that, but at least we will have equal coaches to start with and mold to our individual likings.

And I just learned that although coaches are reset, coordinators are not. My guys are low level, but I guess if anyone has an awesome OC or DC that's good for them. I'm also now second guessing myself and thinking I should've left the default levels for head coach. I'm setting it up with all head coaches at level 1 and leaving it up to you three to vote. If two of you want default levels I will redo the league and set it up that way.

bread's done
Back