Cons
- Spam
- Flame wars
- Emergence of con artists
- Many complaint threads/posts
- Auction threads spilling into other boards and discussions
- Mods won't/can't police it properly

this describes the site as it is now...

if everyone is against auction posts then why do auctions on ebay get posted in the hot deals thread? If you go to atariage.com and check out their auction forums its excellent topics and discussions...I was extremely impressed by it

The site wont go to shit overnight just because a couple new forums are started...if there are problems or it turns out bad then it can be killed...but how you would feel if CheapyD deleted the trading forums because of CloudSpekk? Or the off-topic forums over MWL? Users are the problem as individuals...moderation is the key and I believe cheapy is working on some rules before starting the new forums

#32 kaw

kaw

Want some rye?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2004 - 05:19 AM

I really like the idea of the separate DVD deal forum. I would also like to make a suggestion about forum views. I read all the forums, and would find one master view really useful (I know, I started a separate topic on this, but no replies). For example:

View unanswered posts You last visited on Mon May 03, 2004 10:31 pm
View posts since last visit (240)
View your posts
View all posts

While I can see all posts since my last visit, if I leave the site and come back, I lose that history.

#33 defender

defender

Supreme Arsehole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2004 - 06:41 AM

umm...you do realize that VIEW ALL POSTS would include 150,000 posts...

the view since last visit just checks the timestamp from your last visit and will display all posts current..

how would you propose "view all posts" would work?

#34 Scrubking

Scrubking

Feels the Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2004 - 07:46 AM

Cons
- Spam
- Flame wars
- Emergence of con artists
- Many complaint threads/posts
- Auction threads spilling into other boards and discussions
- Mods won't/can't police it properly

this describes the site as it is now...

Exactly. I can't judge something that doesn't exist and may never exist. To say an idea will be great based on things that haven't been implemented let alone tested is premature and unwise. And just cause something works great for one site doesn't mean it will work great everywhere.

This isn't a big deal, but don't expect things to work perfectly because new rules are in the works which a handful of people know about.

Gameplay is what makes a game worth playing - not story or graphics

MY SITE

#35 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 04 May 2004 - 07:45 PM

The nice thing is if new forums don't work, we can just get rid of them.