PS3 died on me - need advice on situation, details inside -

Navex

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Ok, so my PS3 died on me unexpectedly (Fat 60GB BC model bought in 07) and now I'm not sure what I should do regarding replacing it. Here's the deal, I'm a huge FF/KH fan and already have my preorders in for the remastered version coming out in the next few months as I've been dying to play them (more FF than KH but yeah). The PS4 is due out close to when those games premiere but as far as I know it's not BC so it will not be able to play PS3 games.

I really don't want to blow money on another PS3 just for two games and since the PS4 is right around the corner but I really see no alternative here since the PS4 can't play them. I had my old PS3 since 2007 and just used it for Blu-Rays and PSN games, never playing a PS3 title on it since I play my 360 for that. I never intended to get a PS4 but being it's close to release it doesn't seem practical to buy a 3 in the coming months with the 4 being out soon enough.

What would you guys do in my case? I guess the only thing I really can do if I want to play those games is buy a 3 sometime and sell it if I want down the road. I'm sure I'll want the ability to go back and play FF whenever I want though so I really can't do that though huh. No BC is killing me with these new consoles. :/

If you have no intention on buying a PS4, why do you feel like you have to get one? Is there even anything remotely interesting on the PS4 for you? If not, then just get another PS3 since that would be more useful to you. No point in getting a console you're not interested in just cause it's new.

If the problem is just the yellow light of death it's really easy to fix. Go to ifixit.com they give you step by step directions and even sell a kit.

I see 4 options for you.

1. If you really don't want to wait, and get a working PS3 ASAP, then I would go used, and buy it from here: http://www.cowboom.com/product/1128330

CAG thread (has coupon for $5/$10 off): http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/292294-cowboom-console-deals/

To my knowledge there are no PS3 used sales or deals in store currently but that can change and I may be wrong (Other than the YMMV 125$ clearance ps3 at target).

This company sells used certified consoles which cags have vouched for in the past. Their pricing is very competitive with the used rates on ebay and amazon and they have been tested  (but may be not craigslist if you feel like looking locally) The one I linked to seemed like best value to me there are others if you explore the website, for 16$ you can get a 320 gb.

Realize that even though this company is owned by Best Buy you can't return your PS3 or send it for repairs through Best Buy, you have to ship it back to them. But according to other CAG members there normally are no issues.

I would in this case sell of your ps3, which for most people are getting 70-85$ broken for parts on ebay, you can check gamestop I don't know what they offer for broken units. but if you sell on ebay you can think of it as a total cost of 80$+ for a newer model that is used but is working.

2. Try and find a local shop that does PS3 repair. There are also companies that you can ship you console to in the USA who will repair your ps3, feel free to search for those as I have never used them, but I have heard good things from fellow gamers.

3. WAIT. The PS4 launched this November. People are going to trade in and sell their PS3's like crazy!!! The value of a used PS3 is going to tank, and on top of that there will likely be a price drop on new retail PS3.

4. If you KNOW you want a PS4 and you are willing to wait, and if you are OK with buying digital only games, PS4 is set to support PS3 games via a service called GAIKAI. But it isn't coming until 2014 and there is no guarantee your favorite titles will be on there are there is no way of playing your disc based ps3 games (unless they somehow allow people to redeem games that we already own but this is highly doubtful.)

I hope this helps!

You can trade it to GS w/the current 50% & rent one from RAC for cheap when u get the games & time to grind them.

Okay, thanks all. I haven't decided yet but will keep all this in mind. I had intended to fix it myself (YLOD) but everything I've read on the internet as well as watched on Youtube has suggested it's not a permanent fix and I'll have to keep doing it every few months. Others might be able to do that but to me it's just too much of a hassle to do, especially when you have no way of telling in advance if it might do it.

And to the poster that inquired about the PS4...Yes, I never intended to get one but I would hate to sink money into a PS3 (avg. price new being 300) in the Fall with the PS4 coming out being only $100 more. For just two games it still doesn't seem worth the cost when the new, upgraded console that's coming out will be just a bit more. Again, yeah, never intended to but it would annoy me still.

bread's done
Back