Aliens Colonial Marines Collector's Edition 360/PS3 $34.99 at Amazon

I still don't get all of the hate for this game.  I played it from beginning to end without any problems.  The graphics were fine.  I don't remember the E3 demo so that wasn't an issue for me.  There are plenty of other games that are worse.

The game is okay at best, but I think people saying it was one of the worst games from this generation are exaggerating. They obviously have not seen the hundreds of Wii shovelware games when they make that comment. Now is it one of the most disappointing games of this generation considering the license, the trailer hype and Gearbox being involved? Absolutely! Now this is an okay deal but it was a steal when Amazon did one of their previous Gold Box days and these CE were sold out at $24.99.

Good price, I would love to have the figure. Too bad I bought the game for $10 from Gamefly already. It's pretty bad, even Duke Nukem was better than this.

My girlfriend preordered this Collector's Edition thinking that the gameplay would be like the demo footage. Boy was she wrong. The statue is pretty cool but not worth $35.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say this is one of the worst games of this generation but it IS JAM PACKED with bugs, even after I updated it.

For example, my character died at one point but it moved me to the next area for some odd reason. I couldn't walk or shoot, all I could do was turn around in circles. Since it was an area without enemies I had to restart the system and it took me back to the previous checkpoint (???). Also the alien corpses would sometimes move/dance after they were killed which was just plain creepy, and sometimes they would fall through the floor/wall. Probably the worst glitch was the final boss which became invincible after the game mechanics failed to work properly.

I played through the Xbox version and only encountered a couple bucks. The AvP game that came out a few years ago is better, but this isn't a terrible game by any means, just another average game that too many people got too hyped up about.

I would prefer to acquire the PC version. I understand it looks the best, and has the most patches to correct some of the more glaring issues with the game. However, the collectors edition is only for the console versions of the game.

My understanding was that the 360 version of the game was better, and slightly more stable than the PS3 version. Is this true? I normally spring for the PS3 version of multi-platform titles, but if the 360 version is less buggy, than that's the one I want.

Actually, it seems like Lens of Truth said that the PS3 version gets the slight nod in performance, but the Analysis was basically damning with faint praise. They were like pick your poison here as both versions have issues and it depends on what you prefer to deal with?

Here is their quote:

If your on the fence about which one to get we recommend the PlayStation 3 version. Performance side of things the Xbox holds a higher frame rate while the PlayStation 3 version is locked at 30FPS with much less screen tearing, so pick your poison. Graphically speaking though, the PlayStation 3 version has the clear advantage in this Heads Up. Its a shame, because we were all really stoked to play this game when it was first shown, but after reading some of the initial reviews its looking like a huge let down.

This game sucks, I played through the campaign once and played multiplayer the few times it actually found players.  Compared to Duke Nukem(beat single player) this game is horrible.  I suggest passing unless you really want that figure.

I grabbed it during the Gold box sale for $25. It's honestly not as bad as people made it out to be. The statue that comes with the CE is pretty weak though. It's looks kinda cool from a few feet away, but the paint job is pretty abysmal up close. You might want to wait until it's $25 or less again if you're interested in that alone.

I grabbed it during the Gold box sale for $25. It's honestly not as bad as people made it out to be. The statue that comes with the CE is pretty weak though. It's looks kinda cool from a few feet away, but the paint job is pretty abysmal up close. You might want to wait until it's $25 or less again if you're interested in that alone.
That sucks, I still haven't opened mine, I might keep it that way then.

if ( (don't have a friend to play co-op) or (not a hardcore franchise fan) )

{

don't buy;

}
I am aware of just how awful everyone says the game is. I had originally pre-ordered the collector's edition from GameStop. When the reviews started coming in on release day, I went to GameStop and canceled my pre-order, transferring the funds over to a pre-order for Heart of the Swarm. This was definitely the right decision, I thoroughly enjoyed Heart of the Swarm.

At the same time, I am a hardcore fan of the Aliens franchise. So eventually acquiring the collector's edition of this game appeals to me on that level. $100 was too much for a lackluster title. But $35 is considerably more reasonable.

I think $25 is the sweet spot for this CE and even though I bought it at that price from Amazon during their Gold Box deal, I still have not opened this and to be honest, I may just keep it that way as I have no urge to play this game. The packaging and the statue do look good sealed inside the box, but after hearing how the statue is up close once you open this, I prefer to keep it unopened and displayed inside the box over having the statue on the shelf. Now I am a huge diehard fan of the Alien franchise and liked all of the movies in some capacity including the AVP series and Prometheus, but I have to admit that you need to be a fan to buy this CE at $35. I have the Aliens vs. Predator CE and that is a great collectible and I even dealt with the broken face hugger and got a replacement and I think that was a better purchase when I got that for $35, but if you are a huge fan of the franchise, maybe you pull the trigger at this price just for the collectability.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back