PS Vita systems 3G/WiFi version $149.99 Clearance @ Best Buy YMMV

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#31 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:29 AM

an absolute steal if you find one.  incredible device, love it.

#32 MPoWeRM3

MPoWeRM3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:34 AM

They are probably getting rid of these because, from what I hear, Sony is getting ready to launch a PS Vita Slim this holiday. I heard it from someone at Best Buy who heard it from a Sony retail manager type person. Someone who works between Sony and Best Buy. I don't know if they would know, but they said it'd have an HDMI out and longer battery life, maybe a higher def screen. I googled and it says there's some patents for one like that.

This is a great device and for a great price, esp. if you are getting a PS4. But with rumors of a slim popping up, I wouldn't buy this one right now since I'm the kind of person that wants the newest version of whatever. Too bad I already bought one.

They are clearing them because of a wifi/4g model will be introduced. That's what i've heard few months ago. Vita is not getting a redesign, yet.

#33 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:57 AM

Some of you will have.better luck getting the store # & phone of the OP store. Have your local store call to verify the price & get a price match that way. Be prepared to get a warranty as a "favor" to the manager for the YMMV match since that could seal the deal.

#34 razorracer83

razorracer83

I got the need for speed.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:15 AM

Around launch, the thing that made the 3G version attractive over the wifi-only version was that it actually came with a memory card, and an 8 GB at that.  The 3G and GPS functions were just a nice bonus.  At $150, you're looking at an incredible deal.

Wii U!?! I don't think you could possibly give a game console a worse name!!!

http://www.youtube.c...&hl=en_US&rel=0

I stand corrected.

#35 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:25 AM

They are clearing them because of a wifi/4g model will be introduced. That's what i've heard few months ago. Vita is not getting a redesign, yet.

They're clearing them out because no one wants them (They're priced the same as wifi only models in Japan since March...), so the odds of a 4g model coming into play is about null. Remember, the 3G is only useful if you pay for a monthly plan and the 3G is unable to play Vita games online, nor can it download anything above 20 mb. For a 4G model to even logically make sense, they would need to drop AT&T, make the 4G actually have some sort of use and make cheaper plans (the minimal is $15 a month). 

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#36 EvilMakiPR

EvilMakiPR

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:11 AM

-Nevermind-

Great Deal

#37 aerozero

aerozero

The man from nowhere

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

There's probably no way in hell I can price match with just the picture at Target, Fry's, or Kmart huh?

Posted Image

#38 EldritchOnRye

EldritchOnRye

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

Also, do we think that this clearance price is optional on a store by store basis, and is that why my best buy said they were 299.99 on the phone?

All BestBuy clearance is on a per store basis.

They're clearing them out because no one wants them.

Pretty much.  That's why they've also been clearancing out a huge chunk of the accessories and the Vita section is on the verge of disappearing.

3ds120.gif Picross 3D hot!68.gif  :pc: WoW  :wiiu: Mario Kart 8 :hot:   :vita: Front Mission 3   :xb1: TBD

Finished Games - Recently Completed: :xb1: Ryse :mrgreen:
EldritchOnRye.pngCinnabarSin.png

Trade List

#39 IronChariot

IronChariot

In My Country There Is Problem

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

They are probably getting rid of these because, from what I hear, Sony is getting ready to launch a PS Vita Slim this holiday. I heard it from someone at Best Buy who heard it from a Sony retail manager type person. Someone who works between Sony and Best Buy. I don't know if they would know, but they said it'd have an HDMI out and longer battery life, maybe a higher def screen. I googled and it says there's some patents for one like that.

This is a great device and for a great price, esp. if you are getting a PS4. But with rumors of a slim popping up, I wouldn't buy this one right now since I'm the kind of person that wants the newest version of whatever. Too bad I already bought one.

They still need games and cheaper memory to make it worth buying.

#40 Lemstar

Lemstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

Vita games are pretty cheap. Memory cards are expensive, but I've found 8GB to be enough, even with PS+ games.

#41 Dr0p119

Dr0p119

Chief Red Thunder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

Def ymmv, friend stocking had no idea.

Kinda glad, I was having psp flashbacks (this is gonna be cool, i'll use it everyday.. Month later, ugh why Did I buy this?!!)

#42 ritchardf

ritchardf

add ritchardf on psn and xbox live

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

They're clearing them out because no one wants them (They're priced the same as wifi only models in Japan since March...), so the odds of a 4g model coming into play is about null. Remember, the 3G is only useful if you pay for a monthly plan and the 3G is unable to play Vita games online, nor can it download anything above 20 mb. For a 4G model to even logically make sense, they would need to drop AT&T, make the 4G actually have some sort of use and make cheaper plans (the minimal is $15 a month). 

i thought the whole firesale of 3G vitas at the att store was a sign they were not going to be dealing exclusively with them anymore.

#43 EldritchOnRye

EldritchOnRye

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

i thought the whole firesale of 3G vitas at the att store was a sign they were not going to be dealing exclusively with them anymore.

What vic means when he says AT&T is that the 3G runs off of, and is locked to, their network so if you want to use it you sign up for a month to month thing and get a SIM card from AT&T.  He's saying that if they did make a 4G model they would be best suited by dropping AT&T, though you're not going to add in CDMA bands just for Verizon/Sprint and T-Mobile is a non-factor in the States.  That, and Sony and AT&T have a long standing history of partnering together and Sony products almost exclusively coming out on their network here.

3ds120.gif Picross 3D hot!68.gif  :pc: WoW  :wiiu: Mario Kart 8 :hot:   :vita: Front Mission 3   :xb1: TBD

Finished Games - Recently Completed: :xb1: Ryse :mrgreen:
EldritchOnRye.pngCinnabarSin.png

Trade List

#44 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Or... it's a sign that no one wants them. It's really hard to sell people on a feature that costs $50 up front, will continue to run you $15 (and this is only 250 mb or you can buy 500 mb over the span of 6 months for $25 / 1 gb for $50 or solve all your problems with a 5 gb plan for $50) every month for as long as you own the product. Once you factor in my aforementioned AT&T limits (like the 20 mb download cap / 3G can't support online play, though a Vita can be added to an AT&T account for $10 and save some money, but still it's a continual fee that isn't amazing) and how quickly you can hit that celling before having to pay for additional time... it's easy to fathom why people didn't want it. 

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#45 Shimrra

Shimrra

Hello Ladies !!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

I have one already but if my local one has one I'll pick up for the wifey.

A beautiful 35-year-old ain’t as as good lookin’ as an ugly 19-year-old. Women expect us to like them but they don’t even like each other” Patrice O’neal

Shimrra74.png2rfy52g.jpg

#46 lilseung

lilseung

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

So was TC the only one that was able to find this deal?

Come check out my Trade thread!

#47 Lord Chabelo

Lord Chabelo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

If anyone finds these somewhere by them I'll pay shipping plus the price you get it for if you can get another one :D

Same goes for me

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#48 skettel88

skettel88

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

No luck here in Aventura, Florida.

#49 BigPoeticCanine

BigPoeticCanine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

I was at BB yesterday before I read this post and I was just perusing the Vita section. While I can't be sure my store had it or not (Murray, UT), I didn't see anything that stood out quite like that. I own a wifi Vita already, but I have a friend looking into getting one, so this is great for her... if she can find one. :/

Currently Playing:
:pc: Titanfall
:psp: nothing

:wiiu: Mario Kart 8

:3ds: Fire Emblem: Awakening

:ps4: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

#50 chrislaustin

chrislaustin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

I checked online to see if any of my local stares even have stock, and they are all GONE. I would guess that this is just clearing out the last of this inventory due to lack of sales, or discontinuation. 

I do think they need a "Slim" model, and a 199 price or less. Along with some included memory. Neither built in, or a card with purchase. This holiday would be the best time for a price drop and a newer model, just so they can promote and sale along side the PS4 wave of hype.

If they don't make an announcement at Gamesom, don't expect it this year. I'm cool either way, but anyone who thinks the Vita can't be shrunk and lighter is crazy. The PSP 1000 was good, but the 2000 was just way better. Slightly thinner, lighter, and better battery just made it shine.

#51 FreddyD

FreddyD

CAG Newbie

• CAG in Training

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

Kicking myself for not calling earlier. Called this same store that OP used and they told me as of opening time they still had 2 left but they both sold within the hour. I asked the reason for the clearance and she told me this store is not getting anything Vita related anymore. Probably won't be the only store either, so everyone should defintely keep an eye on their local Best Buys in the next few days for slashed prices on Vita stuff.

Oh and this is my very first CAG post ever : )  Love this website and I hope to contribute as much as I can.

#52 Asmith906

Asmith906

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

The patents are for the dev model that already exists. 

Also going off what we've seen with the PSP... I wouldn't expect a super awesome new version. 

PSP 1,000 - Base Model.

PSP 2,000 - "Slim", mechanical UMD tray removed (because they broke down / had UMD shooting out complaints), removed "Pandora" battery on most models, smaller battery.

PSP 3,000 - Slightly improved screen (had many issues), built in mic, PS button, supposed worse battery life (due to the screen). 

PSP Go - Need I say anything? 

Anyway, I don't see the Vita getting revised and released around the same time as the PS4, since it will get killed in sales regardless. Sony might revise the system down the road, but most of the PSP updates weren't really revisions as much as fixing issues like the pandora's battery. 

PSP Go with CFW is my favorite psp because I can actually take it places. I now just use my psp 1000 to rip my UMD's

#53 chrislaustin

chrislaustin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

Kicking myself for not calling earlier. Called this same store that OP used and they told me as of opening time they still had 2 left but they both sold within the hour. I asked the reason for the clearance and she told me this store is not getting anything Vita related anymore. Probably won't be the only store either, so everyone should defintely keep an eye on their local Best Buys in the next few days for slashed prices on Vita stuff.

Oh and this is my very first CAG post ever : )  Love this website and I hope to contribute as much as I can.

Congrats on your first post. All are welcome.

WOW, I wonder if they are not going to carry any Vita models or products nation wide, or if it's just that store? There are still a few games I would like to get, but I'm waiting on the 10 or less sales. 

#54 FreddyD

FreddyD

CAG Newbie

• CAG in Training

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

Thanks def appreciate it.

I would think its more on a store-per-store basis than nationwide, probably based on sales numbers. Although the store I called is relatively big and busy, in a fairly fancy part of Chicago and not far from downtown where a TON of people go to spend money. Take that for what it's worth.

#55 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

As a vita owner I'm surprised it hasn't taken off. I guess the price says a lot. If it was $199 and memory was cheaper I think it would do better. The system hardware is near perfect. It might be cool to get a revamp with hdmi out or something like that but overall it's not needed. A GO style vita might be cool. Overall though I love the Vita and $150 is a steal. The game library just keeps growing and getting better and better. PS Plus is great too.

jkam2.png

Quitter (My Band)    -    Trade List    -    Join Bing Rewards

#56 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

Thanks def appreciate it.

I would think its more on a store-per-store basis than nationwide, probably based on sales numbers. Although the store I called is relatively big and busy, in a fairly fancy part of Chicago and not far from downtown where a TON of people go to spend money. Take that for what it's worth.

Not saying your information is wrong but I highly doubt Best Buy is going to stop selling all Vita related items. If they want to carry the PS4 and other sony items I would think that they are obligated to carry it in some shape or form.

I'm guessing you're relatively new but not too long ago we had some fool swear up and down that he had an inside source at Best Buy that told him they were going to merge their gaming department with Gamestop...as in Gamestop employees were going to be subcontracted by best buy to run the gaming department

#57 chrislaustin

chrislaustin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

Not saying your information is wrong but I highly doubt Best Buy is going to stop selling all Vita related items. If they want to carry the PS4 and other sony items I would think that they are obligated to carry it in some shape or form.

I'm guessing you're relatively new but not too long ago we had some fool swear up and down that he had an inside source at Best Buy that told him they were going to merge their gaming department with Gamestop...as in Gamestop employees were going to be subcontracted by best buy to run the gaming department

Anything a sales person says has to be taken with a grain of salt, but I have seen certain items sold only at specific stores in the past. It was never for such a main stream item as the Vita, but based on current sales, I wouldn't really call it main stream, so limited sales at specific stores could be possible.

B&M stores like BB are loosing tons of business to online only stores like Amazon and Newegg. If there are pressed for space, I could see them selling Vita stuff online only and at specific local stores. Why stock your shelves with items that aren't moving. Honestly I never shop locally anymore unless there is a deal to be had, otherwise I can get stuff tax free, better pricing and merchandise delivered to my door.

BB should be closing entire stores in IMO, not just limiting sales of certain merchandise.

#58 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

great deal for those who find it (which isnt gonna be many). now back to playing muramasa rebirth aka one of the top 5 best vita games !!!!!!!
Currently playing
:ps4: infamous first light, fez, strider, blacklight retribution, mlb 14, the transistor, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: new super mario bros u, zelda ww hd

games recently beaten: :ps4: lego marvel, contrast, watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, murdered soul suspect

690739.png

#59 NismoZ32

NismoZ32

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

This is purely nothing more than a manager's special to move Vita's. I can tell you Best Buy isn't going to stop selling Vita's. My store seriously hasn't sold a Vita since last holiday season nor have we gotten any in shipment since January since they aren't selling. So I can understand why the manager of this store must of had similar results and decided to slash the price to free up shelf space but this wont be a regional thing.

Amazing deal for those who got in but for everyone else, don't even waste your time or gas driving to 7 Best Buy's near you looking for something that isn't going to happen anywhere else.

#60 guitar1god

guitar1god

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

I got there 30 minutes after the store in the OP opened and they were all gone. I met a nice female worker inside and she helped me get a wii u pro controller for the 24.99 price it was as the deal of the day a few days ago even though it rang up full price. We talked about the games for about 20 minutes and I recommended animal crossing because she had just bought a 3ds along with Zelda 3d and Luigi's mansion. I had a good time so it wasn't a complete waste.

"You Gotta Shaaaaaare! You Gotta Caaaare!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie duxyM