Photo
* * * * - 13 votes

$20 Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (best buy)

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#121 Ferrari Racer

Ferrari Racer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:21 AM

Tempted on Amazon. Would I enjoy this if I've never played a JRPG?

ITS%20DAT%20DAM%20KID.png

#122 superleaf444

superleaf444

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:26 AM

Contemplating if I should cancel my order from best buy....bah

#123 narec

narec

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

finally caved at this price.  thanks op.

#124 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

Tempted on Amazon. Would I enjoy this if I've never played a JRPG?

I'd recommend playing a good JRPG first to see how you feel about them before trying Ni No Kuni.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#125 ZiggyGod

ZiggyGod

Aspiring Hero

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

Ugh!!!!!!! I noticed when it was too late. Shipping is currently 1-3 weeks with Prime. :(

Visualize my mind... :whee:
:3ds: Friend Code: 4811-6958-3162 Ziggy
618684.png

#126 mr_burnzz

mr_burnzz

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

My best buy was OOS but I easily PMed at Target. Very easy and they had a butt load of ni no kunis.

The game seems a bit childish but it's got that old school RPG feel which is awesome. Nice voice acting, too. Only in about an hour or so, I'm sure it'll get better.

#127 rcerboss

rcerboss

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'd recommend playing a good JRPG first to see how you feel about them before trying Ni No Kuni.

Why should he go buy yet another RPG to see if he likes them?  Why not just try Ni No Kuni?

I still can't believe Amazon PM'ed this... considering it was sold out everywhere at Best Buy, there was no reason to.

http://backloggery.c...p?user=rcerboss
Interested in trading Steam Games. I have extra keys for Ship, Machinarium, Sword and Sworcery, Cave Story +, and more Desura games tha I can list ;)

PM me to add me to PSN, Steam, WiiU, or 3DS. Always up for a Brawl matchup too!

#128 TheKbob

TheKbob

Rock On, Duder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

I found a copy at a Best Buy that was sold out. Was hidden in a pile. I submitted the price matches yesterday, I'd like to dream I helped :P

Got my copy, I am pleased.
Posted Image

#129 superleaf444

superleaf444

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

Best Buy just shipped my copy. Back order, psh. wheeeee =)

#130 midlifecrisisMkII

midlifecrisisMkII

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

PM'ed at Target.  The clerk in electronics was asking for the iPad to double check, but they had left it at CS.  He didn't seem to want to believe me and maybe they would have denied me the PM if they saw that all the BBs were out.  In the end, I got the PM and that's all that matters.

FWIW, the Target I was at had NNK for $30 as a temporary price drop.  Now to decide if I should get PxZ for $30 at BB or see if it drops to $20.

#131 asianxcore

asianxcore

...to the moon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:45 AM

My local Target had 1 copy left on the shelves and I was able to price match BB's price through my iPhone.

None of my local Best Buy stores had it and as many others have mentioned, it's also out of stock online.

I've been waiting for this price point for a while now. Looking forward to finally playing the game! :)

#132 XClaude

XClaude

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

My best buy was OOS but I easily PMed at Target. Very easy and they had a butt load of ni no kunis.

The game seems a bit childish but it's got that old school RPG feel which is awesome. Nice voice acting, too. Only in about an hour or so, I'm sure it'll get better.

Regarding your comment about the game being childish...

I feel that this is the direction that Studio Ghibli usually take with their productions.  They present mature topics mixed with great imaginations all through a very innocent/child-like/simplified presentation.  This style of presentation is clearly seen in their famous works like "My Neighbor Totoro", "Spirited Away" or "Princess Mononoke".

#133 romeogbs19

romeogbs19

Henshin A Go-Go Baby!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

Why should he go buy yet another RPG to see if he likes them?  Why not just try Ni No Kuni?

I still can't believe Amazon PM'ed this... considering it was sold out everywhere at Best Buy, there was no reason to.

Eh, it's not that surprising.  Fact is NNK didn't sell well, but Sony clearly thought it would and over-printed.  The game is no doubt headed to $19.99 MSRP anyways, and given the new consoles are just months away (and aren't backwards compatible), these games (and others) are all headed for quick drops.

That said, I also am doubtful many publishers will be reprinting current-gen titles.  This one is likely to go the road of Rogue Galaxy which never got a GH reprint. 

#134 CAGMoose

CAGMoose

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

Okay, so I keep reading people saying how this is a lot like old school RPGs, and I just let the comments go, but since this thread is dying down anyway, I feel compelled to ask.

- How, exactly, is this game similar to old school RPGs?

- Which old school RPGs is NNK similar to?

FWIW, the only real answer that that would satisfy me is that it's kind of like Earthbound. But it's not like Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, any of the Final Fantasies, etc. And if you said it was like Earthbound, I would laugh at how short NNK fell from that standard. 

#135 josekortez

josekortez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

Got mine in the mail yesterday. Hoping it doesn't have an overly long intro at the beginning because I might fall asleep on it. Working two jobs is killing me.

#136 StryderOmega

StryderOmega

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

Okay, so I keep reading people saying how this is a lot like old school RPGs, and I just let the comments go, but since this thread is dying down anyway, I feel compelled to ask.
- How, exactly, is this game similar to old school RPGs?
- Which old school RPGs is NNK similar to?

FWIW, the only real answer that that would satisfy me is that it's kind of like Earthbound. But it's not like Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, any of the Final Fantasies, etc. And if you said it was like Earthbound, I would laugh at how short NNK fell from that standard.

The battle system, without playing it and reading what people have said, sounds like Jade Coccoon from PS1.

xivpads.png

#137 mr_burnzz

mr_burnzz

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

I guess what I mean by the old school feel is that it has that top down view from the world map. Walking around getting into battles and stuff. I haven't played RPGs in a long time (no new gen titles) and the game reminded me of breath of fire, final fantasy 4 and etc..

#138 vickers500

vickers500

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

Sweet, just got mine today, earlier than expected (just checked UPS tracking yesterday and it said monday, but it's here now instead, which is awesome).

#139 ProfessorMicro

ProfessorMicro

Dark Lord of the Sith

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:31 AM

Back in stock at BB and ships in 1-3 weeks at amazon for $19.99.

"You cannot hide from what you once were, Revan! Recognize that you were once the Dark Lord—and know that I have taken your place!"

#140 needler420

needler420

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:34 AM

Got mine in the mail yesterday. Hoping it doesn't have an overly long intro at the beginning because I might fall asleep on it. Working two jobs is killing me.

It's a JRPG so you need to commit time if you want to progress. Not the type of game to go to for quick gameplay.

needler420.png

#141 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:39 AM

Back in stock at BB and ships in 1-3 weeks at amazon for $19.99.

Thank you. I cancelled my Amazon order. And love using certs at BBY, tax is applied after the deducted price.

Mathematically Correct.
Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#142 marjincharge

marjincharge

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:45 AM

Yay. Finally was able to order for shipping. Hopefully it goes through!

Currently playing:

:3ds: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

:ps3: Ni No Kuni

#143 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:50 AM

its funny how copys of this game are much harder to find after the price drop. heck even gamestops around me have limited copys. love the game so far :D
Currently playing
:ps3: Shadows of the damned, assassins creed 3
:360: final fantasy 13, gta 4: complete, dishonored
:3ds: nothing
:psp: ps all stars battle royale

Games recently beaten
:psp: assassins creed: liberation (best portible open world game ever dispite problems) :applause:
:360: Kane and lynch 2: dog days (meh game for 5$) :cold:
Games remaining in backlog: 8

#144 FreeStuffFan85

FreeStuffFan85

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

All my local stores showed "unavailable" for in-store pickup this entire week, but I decided to swing by one of the Best Buys last night on a whim. They had one lone copy of NNK, so I picked it up. I'm looking forward to playing this after hearing so much positive feedback about the game.  :D

#145 josekortez

josekortez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

It's a JRPG so you need to commit time if you want to progress. Not the type of game to go to for quick gameplay.

Yeah, I didn't bother starting it until this morning since I wanted to be fresh for it. I've played for a good six hours at this point and only made it to the second town. I got killed during a battle I wasn't expecting (don't worry, no spoilers), but it was still six hours well-spent.

One last thought - games that look as good as Ni No Kuni are why we don't need PS4 and Xbox One yet, in my opinion. And I'm talking about the in-game graphics. The Studio Ghibli animations are the icing on the cake.

#146 romeogbs19

romeogbs19

Henshin A Go-Go Baby!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

Thank you. I cancelled my Amazon order. And love using certs at BBY, tax is applied after the deducted price.

Yeah, since BBY and Target started price-matching, I find myself buying less and less from Amazon.  Don't mind paying the little extra for instant gratification.  Plus, if you have the Target card, the extra 5% practically makes the difference a few nickels and pennies.

#147 superleaf444

superleaf444

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

I got mine in the mail today. Backorder, psh! Sad thing is, I won't have time to play it in awhile, but hey, 20$ for a game that I know will only go up in price now is worth it. This is probably the last game in quite awhile that I will treat myself to.