noobcake's Giveaway (11.07.2013) - Xbox 360 Destiny beta code theDevilman Giveaway (9/23/2103) - Multiple Prize Bundles! Shutterfly Free Mug Codes Contest - 6 Codes! theDevilman Giveaway (8/25/2103) - Xbox & Steam Codes!
- All my older giveaways were all in many various giveaway topics.
- I stopped tracking my giveaways here. Too much to keep track of. Just keep an eye out for my topics.
- 1. Offering Free Codes: If you have a digital code or codes, note what they are for. Also, post their region if it matters (US, UK, etc.) and their type if applicable. (For example if it is for a digital movie, specify if it is for UV, iTunes, etc.)
- 2. Time Limit: Set a time limit for how long you will allow entries to win the codes you are offering. (15 mins, 1 hr, 24 hrs, etc.) (This will help combat stalking.)
- 3. Contest Methods: Offer a contest that is NOT based on the "First Come First Serve" method. (This will also help combat stalking.) There are two primary ways of doing this. The "Random" method and the "Best in Show" method.
- "Random" Method Examples:
- "If you want said code, PM me the reason you want it. All qualifying entrants that enter within the allowed time frame will be assigned a number and i will use random.org to pick the winner."
- "If you want said code, quote my post and add your favorite 'insert-thing-here' to your response. All qualifying entrants that enter within the allowed time frame will be assigned a number and i will use random.org to pick the winner."
- "Best in Show" Method Examples:
- "If you want said code, PM me the reason you want it. All qualifying entrants that enter within the allowed time frame will have their responses reviewed and i will pick my favorite." (Remember essay contests in school? It's like that. This forces people to actually take some time and put some thought in.)
- "If you want said code, quote my post and add a funny picture of 'insert-thing-here' to your response. All qualifying entrants that enter within the allowed time frame will have their responses reviewed and i will pick my favorite."
- Anti-Hoarding Additions to Consider: (These can be used in case stalking is getting bad, to keep hoarders at bay or just because you want to)
- "Anyone that has won a code in this topic (or from me) in the past reasonable x amount of time does not qualify. (i.e. 1 day, 2 days, 1 week, etc.) I will go back and verify each participant."
- "Only people that have given codes away themselves in the past reasonable x amount of time qualify. (i.e. 1 month, 1 year, ever, etc.) You must provide a link to at least one of your own giveaways."
- "Only one code per person" (In cases where you are giving away multiple codes.)
- The examples of these methods that i've show are just that... examples. Get creative. Even something as simple as, "The 5th person to quote me wins", gives more people a chance and is fast and simple. This is not ideal against stalkers but certainly gives at least a few more people a chance since there is at least a little more time to alert people.
- "First Come First Serve" Methods to AVOID:
- Posting codes in public open forums for anyone to lurk.
- "First to quote or PM me gets it."
- "First to quote or PM me 'parameters-here', gets it."
- "Random" Method Examples:
- 4. Awarding Codes: Private Message the winners with their codes to keep lurkers from poaching them.
I had originally thought about starting a new thread for giveaways using only Anti-Lurker, Anti-Stalker and Anti-Hoarder methods. But there are already so many specific types of giveaway topics that i thought this would hopefully just serve to offer more giveaway methods rather than to confuse things further.
Of course you can give your stuff away however you want. I just thought i would share some of my methodology for all the reasons i've stated. What do you think? How do you combat lurkers and stalkers? I know some people don't even care about that. This topic is for those who do.
Thank you to everyone for sharing with the community and giving back regardless of how you do it!
My Contests Blacklist:
List of members blacklisted from my contests for various reasons. It could be because of any of the following reasons: Cheating, Trolling, Thankless Hoarding, Just Being an Ass, etc.
Edited by theDevilman, 31 July 2014 - 01:31 AM.