Fantasy Football "Who Should I Start" Thread, 2013

• Please log in to reply
1127 replies to this topic

#1 Danimal

Danimal

CheapAssing it Since 2003

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:32 PM

Hey Guys!  It's getting to be that time again, that wonderful time of year when we start to plan for our upcoming fantasy football drafts, and we know that the NFL season is just around the corner.  It's time to discuss strategy with our fellow fantasy fans, to pick their brains for who you should select in the first round if you're picking 5th, who you should start at WR2 during your regular guy's bye week, all those agonizing decisions that make fantasy football such an all-consuming obsession.

If you're new to this thread, welcome!  Don't be shy about asking for help, and don't be afraid to give your own opinions and advice, but please, always be civil.  I ran similar threads to this from 2009-2011, and they've always been a great place to get help with the tough decisions week to week.  I wasn't involved with the thread last year (it got along just fine without me), but I wanted to come back and get the ball rolling this year, since most of us will be having our drafts sometime in the next 30 days.

Let's talk some fantasy football!

Posted Image

#2 burritoman

burritoman

Bounty Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

This could be a breakout year for Tebow on your fantasy rosters!

No...I'm being serious.

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4618-0670 Always looking for new Pokemon!

Get free stuff with my Swagbucks Referral Link: http://swagbucks.com/refer/cookieparty

#3 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:52 AM

No...I'm being serious.

It won't be.

Destro1.gif            DestroVega.jpg

#4 burritoman

burritoman

Bounty Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:17 AM

It won't be.

Damn, you have crushed me before my draft.

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4618-0670 Always looking for new Pokemon!

Get free stuff with my Swagbucks Referral Link: http://swagbucks.com/refer/cookieparty

#5 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:18 AM

Alright! Now to plan for my draft

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#6 Danimal

Danimal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

No...I'm being serious.

burritoman, I should have mentioned that while using hallucinogenic drugs when posting in this thread is not expressly forbidden, per se, it is strongly discouraged. :lol:

Then again, I guess Brady has to throw to somebody this year.  I can tell you this though- if he does have a breakout year, he'll be having it on someone else's team.  I can't see myself drafting him under any circumstances.

Posted Image

#7 Danimal

Danimal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

Do you guys have a spot you prefer to draft from?  I mean, I know picking first is always nice, but if you use the serpent style, it's a long, loooong wait between picks.  If you're in the middle of the pack, you have a shorter wait, but miss out on back-to-back picks you get from going first or last.  Also, how do you determine draft order in your leagues?  In mine, we've used virtual dice sites for the past several years.  Everyone rolls a 1000-sided virtual die, lowest roll picks first, highest roll picks 12th.

Last year I picked 12th, and won my league Super Bowl.  The year before, I picked 2nd and missed the playoffs.  Go figure.

Posted Image

#8 Rumors

Rumors

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:04 AM

Do you guys have a spot you prefer to draft from? I mean, I know picking first is always nice, but if you use the serpent style, it's a long, loooong wait between picks. If you're in the middle of the pack, you have a shorter wait, but miss out on back-to-back picks you get from going first or last. Also, how do you determine draft order in your leagues? In mine, we've used virtual dice sites for the past several years. Everyone rolls a 1000-sided virtual die, lowest roll picks first, highest roll picks 12th.

Last year I picked 12th, and won my league Super Bowl. The year before, I picked 2nd and missed the playoffs. Go figure.

I was listening to ESPN sports radio and one of the sportscasters, don't remember which, said his league picks a 1-12 to determine picks. But instead of what number you pick equaling your spot on the board if you get number one you pick where you want to be on the board.

#9 Danimal

Danimal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

I was listening to ESPN sports radio and one of the sportscasters, don't remember which, said his league picks a 1-12 to determine picks. But instead of what number you pick equaling your spot on the board if you get number one you pick where you want to be on the board.

I wonder how often the guy who draws #1 picks a spot other than first.  I could see if everyone chose their spots in turns by the number they drew, and if you had the 5th turn to choose your spot deciding you'd take the wrap-around spot at 12 over being somewhere in the middle, but I can't picture the guy who gets to choose his spot first saying "I think I'll draft from the #9 slot."  Never know, though.

We've started rolling the virtual dice to figure out our order, but of course there are always a few stragglers who never read their e-mails, or maybe they want to wait until everyone else has rolled, or whatever, but we're still waiting on four guys to do their rolls.  I rolled a 379, which has me 4th at the moment.  So I'll be picking somewhere between 4-8, depending on what those last four guys roll.  I guess no AP or Foster for me this year.

Posted Image

#10 JStryke

JStryke

Angel With A Shotgun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

I don't think I know where to pick except for the end of the draft. Picked 9th out of 10th last year and won my league.

A league I've been in for about five years now has an interesting way of drafting. We all make our picks via a hat, but once our numbers are picked, they're placed in a bit of a matrix style. Not sure how to explain it, but I do have the email from the baseball league which lays out the order.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

8 6 7 9 10 1 3 2 5 4

4 5 2 3 1 10 9 7 6 8

5 3 4 1 2 9 8 6 10 7

7 10 6 8 9 2 1 4 3 5

6 8 9 10 7 3 5 1 4 2

2 4 1 5 3 7 10 9 8 6

3 1 5 2 4 8 6 7 10 9

9 10 7 6 8 4 2 5 1 3

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

4 5 2 3 1 10 9 7 6 8

8 6 7 9 10 1 3 2 5 4

7 10 6 8 9 2 1 4 3 5

5 3 4 1 2 9 8 6 10 7

2 4 1 5 3 7 10 9 8 6

6 8 9 10 7 3 5 1 4 2

9 10 7 6 8 4 2 5 1 3

3 1 5 2 4 8 6 7 10 9

6 8 9 10 7 3 5 1 4 2

card.png

#11 Danimal

Danimal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

I don't think I know where to pick except for the end of the draft. Picked 9th out of 10th last year and won my league.

A league I've been in for about five years now has an interesting way of drafting. We all make our picks via a hat, but once our numbers are picked, they're placed in a bit of a matrix style. Not sure how to explain it, but I do have the email from the baseball league which lays out the order.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

8 6 7 9 10 1 3 2 5 4

4 5 2 3 1 10 9 7 6 8

5 3 4 1 2 9 8 6 10 7

7 10 6 8 9 2 1 4 3 5

6 8 9 10 7 3 5 1 4 2

2 4 1 5 3 7 10 9 8 6

3 1 5 2 4 8 6 7 10 9

9 10 7 6 8 4 2 5 1 3

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

4 5 2 3 1 10 9 7 6 8

8 6 7 9 10 1 3 2 5 4

7 10 6 8 9 2 1 4 3 5

5 3 4 1 2 9 8 6 10 7

2 4 1 5 3 7 10 9 8 6

6 8 9 10 7 3 5 1 4 2

9 10 7 6 8 4 2 5 1 3

3 1 5 2 4 8 6 7 10 9

6 8 9 10 7 3 5 1 4 2

Huh, that is interesting.  So it's still the serpent method, but after the first 2 rounds, it looks like 1-5 gets shuffled, and 6-10 get shuffled, then the new order for those two sets is still set in the serpent pattern.  One year my league decided to draw numbers out of a hat and use the serpent, but every 2 rounds, redraw the numbers.  So you might get the first overall pick, then pick 12th in the second round, then you might have, say the 9th pick in the 3rd round, which would give you the 4th pick coming back, and so on.  A lot like what you guys do, except we didn't bracket the front half and back half of the drafting order.  It was a fun experiment, but the next year everyone wanted to go back to straight up serpent.

Posted Image

#12 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

Who NOT to start: Aaron Hernandez

#13 Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:39 AM

Who NOT to start: Aaron Hernandez

#2 Riley Cooper

#14 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

Nice to see one of my favorite annual threads on CAG is back. I started it last year because Danimal was slacking ;). Good to see you're on the ball this year.

pitfall_harry219.png

#15 Danimal

Danimal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:46 PM

But slacking is what I do best. 8-)

Last year was.... well, it's a long and boring story, so I'll just say I'm glad it's a different year now, and I'm itching to get back to football.

Posted Image

#16 frostybroc

frostybroc

ROFLTrooper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

Whats everyone's thoughts on Arian Foster this year? I play in an auction style keeper league, and decided to pay big bucks for this year.

Team at the moment is:

QB

Stafford - 12

Bradford - 7

Carson Palmer - 5

J Flacco - 8

Schaub - 13

RB

Forte - 12

Sproles 18

Foster - 59

WR

Colston - 30

S.Smith (CAR) - 5

Welker - 21

C. Patterson (MIN) - 8

K

Josh Brown - 1

DST

Pittsburgh - 1

I know Im sitting on 5 QBs, but hoping that they turn out for trade bait.

fs_overall.png

#17 t.neikirk

t.neikirk

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

Do you guys have a spot you prefer to draft from?  I mean, I know picking first is always nice, but if you use the serpent style, it's a long, loooong wait between picks.  If you're in the middle of the pack, you have a shorter wait, but miss out on back-to-back picks you get from going first or last.  Also, how do you determine draft order in your leagues?  In mine, we've used virtual dice sites for the past several years.  Everyone rolls a 1000-sided virtual die, lowest roll picks first, highest roll picks 12th.

Last year I picked 12th, and won my league Super Bowl.  The year before, I picked 2nd and missed the playoffs.  Go figure.

Its all about playing waivers. Last year was the first year I forgot th edraft so it auto drafted for me. But I made key pickups throught the waiver and won my league.

#18 t.neikirk

t.neikirk

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

RB

Forte - 12

Sproles 18

Foster - 59

I dont think foster is going to have that great of a year this year. That divison is stacked on the D line. Trya nd go after another receiver. Whos your TE?

#19 frostybroc

frostybroc

ROFLTrooper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

I don't have one. Its not mandatory to have one. I thought of trading Foster and Schaub for Aaron Rodgers, Michael Bush  and CJ Spiller.

fs_overall.png

#20 Danimal

Danimal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:50 PM

That might not be a bad trade if you can make it.  Foster is a horse, but counting the playoffs last year he had over 400 carries.  That almost always means a little slippage in production the next year.  I think Spiller is in for a monster year, so that might not be a downgrade at all at RB, and it's definitely an upgrade at QB.

Posted Image

#21 t.neikirk

t.neikirk

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:41 AM

I don't have one. Its not mandatory to have one. I thought of trading Foster and Schaub for Aaron Rodgers, Michael Bush  and CJ Spiller.

Your crazy if you don't make that trade.

#22 fatmanforlife99

fatmanforlife99

I need a weapon.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:15 AM

Your crazy if you don't make that trade.

This times 12

There are those who said this day would never come. What are they to say now?

#23 Duo_Maxwell

Duo_Maxwell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:39 AM

That's the sweetest trade you could ask for at this point. Foster is already injured and Schaub is likely to be injured at some point in the season. Rogers bests Schaub in every category as well, Bush is a Matt Forte injury away from seeing 20+ touches a game in their new offesne, and CJ Spiller if healthy can compete for the rushing title this year (finshed 8th last year on just over 200 carries, and besides AP was the only RB to average 6 yds/carry)

#24 frostybroc

frostybroc

ROFLTrooper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:09 PM

I proposed and I'm waiting to hear back. Another I was countered with was Brees and Chris Johnson for Foster and Stafford. Any ideas? Chris Johnson is a risk, but I feel better getting a better QB than the slew I have.

fs_overall.png

#25 Danimal

Danimal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:00 PM

I don't like that trade as much.  You're giving up more (one nice thing about the first trade was you still had Stafford as a backup if Rodgers went down), and getting less.  I like Spiller better than CJ this year, and having Bush to back up Forte could be important for you, too.  I don't think I'd pull the trigger on this one.

Posted Image

#26 frostybroc

frostybroc

ROFLTrooper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:19 PM

Thanks.

fs_overall.png

#27 Duo_Maxwell

Duo_Maxwell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:23 AM

I don't like that trade as much.  You're giving up more (one nice thing about the first trade was you still had Stafford as a backup if Rodgers went down), and getting less.  I like Spiller better than CJ this year, and having Bush to back up Forte could be important for you, too.  I don't think I'd pull the trigger on this one.

I'll play Devil's advocate sort of. I like the trade but I don't like it as much with his current team. I'd sit on this offer for abit or maybe counter to get another RB or WR included even if they are just a WR3 or RB3 because Frosty your team is horribly thin at those postions. But this is not a bad deal overall, you essentially are downgrading probably by about 5-8 avg pts/ game by giving up Foster for CJ, but Brees will easily nab you probably an extra 10+ avg more than Stafford or Schaub would so I still think you'd come out slightly ahead. The bigger issue becomes what do you do if one of your RB goes down. For example I would not like the lineup of starting Sproles and CJ every game. Unless you are maybe in a generous PPR league that's clearly not a good idea. Then again you're already in that situation now basically and Brees would be much better than any of the 5 QBs you have.

Have you thought about trying to trade one of your lesser QBs (not Stafford probably) for just a less valued RB or WR? In order for the trade to work it'd probably be someone you'd need to gamble abit on, but come to someone with the right offer & they may give up a "diamond in the rough" type player

#28 enemyofusall

enemyofusall

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:53 AM

On a sidenote, if anyone has an empty spot in their league, pm me! The couple leagues I was in last year hiked up the buy-in fees so I declined :(

gallery_474050_8161_61772.jpg

#29 frostybroc

frostybroc

ROFLTrooper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

I'll play Devil's advocate sort of. I like the trade but I don't like it as much with his current team. I'd sit on this offer for abit or maybe counter to get another RB or WR included even if they are just a WR3 or RB3 because Frosty your team is horribly thin at those postions. But this is not a bad deal overall, you essentially are downgrading probably by about 5-8 avg pts/ game by giving up Foster for CJ, but Brees will easily nab you probably an extra 10+ avg more than Stafford or Schaub would so I still think you'd come out slightly ahead. The bigger issue becomes what do you do if one of your RB goes down. For example I would not like the lineup of starting Sproles and CJ every game. Unless you are maybe in a generous PPR league that's clearly not a good idea. Then again you're already in that situation now basically and Brees would be much better than any of the 5 QBs you have.

Have you thought about trying to trade one of your lesser QBs (not Stafford probably) for just a less valued RB or WR? In order for the trade to work it'd probably be someone you'd need to gamble abit on, but come to someone with the right offer & they may give up a "diamond in the rough" type player

Thanks, I'll certainly try to trade one of the QBs for a RB3/WR3.

fs_overall.png

#30 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:01 AM

I'm not touching Foster this year.

Destro1.gif            DestroVega.jpg