Social Groups are Going Away - Grab your Info

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:33 AM

This 3rd party add-on is causing a lot of problems with new functionality we want to bring online.

I think most some of the functionality can be replaced by the new Messenger system, which allows you to maintain a private message and invite people to it, which is basically a simplified version of a private forum thread. 

The person who creates the message can add and remove people as they see fit.

Your thoughts?

UPDATE:

There aren't very many active groups, so I've decided these are going away.

Please go ahead and get any information you need out of these ASAP.

Edited by CheapyD, 06 August 2013 - 10:24 AM.
update

#2 QDizzle

QDizzle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:17 AM

wouldnt that affect such groups as the game library in a negative way as each person creates a thread for their particular game being lent?

NEW Gameshare Feedback Tracker August 2014

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

QDizzle81.png

#3 CookieParty

CookieParty

Artist formerly known as Burritoman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:18 AM

Kill it.

What feature are we killing? lol

Check out our blog: http://abloggymess.com/ Plenty of fun for everyone!

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4618-0670 Always looking for new Pokemon!

Get free stuff with my Swagbucks Referral Link: http://swagbucks.com/refer/cookieparty

#4 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

Cubs Fan Too :(

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:11 AM

The new conversation system definitely would not suffice for the Gamesharing Library that currently exists. However, I am sure an alternative can be found, it just might need to be hosted off of CAG.

MattNY.png

#5 Pravado

Pravado

Paul Heyman Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:18 AM

The new conversation system definitely would not suffice for the Gamesharing Library that currently exists. However, I am sure an alternative can be found, it just might need to be hosted off of CAG.

Would seemingly need to be off site and password protected. Making the site itself shouldn't be hard at all, hosting it is the problem. Maybe we can set something up through AIM? Have private friends lists or something with our game lists in our profiles, people would be able to see it if we're offline and i think there's a way to leave messages for when they get online or something

#6 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:30 AM

Why not?

Never mind, I took a look at your groups and see why messaging would not be sufficient. I do not think a lot of members are actively using the groups feature, but I will double check with John to see if that is true.

#7 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:54 AM

Why not?

Never mind, I took a look at your groups and see why messaging would not be sufficient. I do not think a lot of members are actively using the groups feature, but I will double check with John to see if that is true.

I think we all understand that progress can't be held up at the expense of the site because of our library. Our community itself would still exist on CAG, the thread we maintain is the lifeblood of what we do. The library is just an offshoot of it for proven members to share games with one another.

MattNY.png

#8 MiaFLSurf

MiaFLSurf

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:57 AM

I'm a part of that library and another group involved in sharing games : http://www.cheapassg...le=view&gid=431

A convo would not work for this at all. We have more than 20 members and need the threads to organize games etc.

MiaFLSurf.png

#9 KingZ

KingZ

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:57 AM

Well if you guys gonna kill that social group then I'll be damn. First of all its still active, secondly its about people handing out their games to group's other members, so they don't have to pay for them which is great as the idea of CAG.

#10 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:06 AM

Well if you guys gonna kill that social group then I'll be damn. First of all its still active, secondly its about people handing out their games to group's other members, so they don't have to pay for them which is great as the idea of CAG.

I understand the (potential) disappointment. Lets keep in mind though its not like anyone administering the site is making these changes with the intent of stopping our community. A major site upgrade (only the 2nd since the site first launched 10 years ago) is taking the website to new places, making it easier to better and grow the overall community on CAG. That benefits everyone. It is not always easy to move into the future if you have to build it trying to hold onto the past.

MattNY.png

#11 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:58 AM

I would definitely like their to be some a custom group feature on CAG, but this current solution is just not working out at all.

I'm sure there will be some way we can do this (or something closer to it than Messenger) in the future, but I'm pretty sure John is going to come on here and say why we need to remove this social groups add-on.

If there is a way we can make a temporary solution within our existing forum and permissions system, I'm definitely open to that.

#12 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:27 AM

Cool, we appreciate any accommodations that could be made until something more permanent could be developed.

MattNY.png

#13 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:01 AM

I've looked into it and there aren't only 30 groups that received a post this year, so I've decided these are going away as soon as we can reasonably do so.

Please go ahead and get any information you need out of these ASAP.

#14 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:31 AM

Is there any alternatives that can be done on CAG?

MattNY.png

#15 Pravado

Pravado

Paul Heyman Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:29 AM

Is there any alternatives that can be done on CAG?

Not from what I can see.

I guess someone should back up the user list / queue's for games, and we'll have clone send a mass PM saying we're working something out

In the meantime I'll see what I can find. We need to find a forum that will let us create a private board or something

#16 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:36 AM

Not from what I can see.

I guess someone should back up the user list / queue's for games, and we'll have clone send a mass PM saying we're working something out

In the meantime I'll see what I can find. We need to find a forum that will let us create a private board or something

I put a suggestion in the thread.

MattNY.png

#17 Pravado

Pravado

Paul Heyman Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:44 AM

I'll make a spreadsheet of all the games / queue's / memberlist tonight. I think if I do that we should still have all the information necessary to keep this running properly somewhere else

#18 CookieParty

CookieParty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:49 AM

One thing we did on HCrealms was to create a special section of the forum for certain people to be able to access.

Example:

I was a member, then wanted to start writing articles, so I got access to the "Writers" forum, the I got added to "Contributors" in addition to the normal forum. I am just guessing the mod forum here is divided out the same way. It's mostly just a subforum that requires granted access to get in.

Get free stuff with my Swagbucks Referral Link: http://swagbucks.com/refer/cookieparty

#19 Pravado

Pravado

Paul Heyman Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:51 AM

If they're willing to do that that would be an easier alternative

#20 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:57 AM

It would be cool and Cheapy said they would look at alternatives, so perhaps that was what he was considering. The only problem would be adding new members access to it. Even if they were willing to give us a sub-forum, someone would have to have rights to add and remove members. I doubt they want a solution that would require them to update our list periodically and I doubt they want to give us the power to do so. But perhaps they will have more flexibility with CAG 3.0. We shall see.

MattNY.png

#21 CookieParty

CookieParty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:01 AM

It has been about 5 or 6 years since I was in the community, and the main guy is gone these days, but if I remember correctly any mod was able to give out the rights.

It could be an idea worth exploring though. I think the biggest issue would be would each group get a sub, or would each group get a thread in the sub.

#22 Pravado

Pravado

Paul Heyman Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:43 AM

Worst case scenario we find someone in the library who wants to maintain the data, create a google spreadsheet that we can all see (but not edit) and then have ppl PM them to update it as new users rent games / new games get added

Library doesn't seem to move too fast so it shouldn't be too much work. (No, I'm not volunteering lol)

#23 Pravado

Pravado

Paul Heyman Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:53 AM

Just a heads up, I actually won't be able to copy data tonight, missed my ride home and now I gotta sleep at a friends house. If someone else could do it that would be great, if not I'll get to it tomorrow when I get home.

#24 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:27 AM

Worst case scenario we find someone in the library who wants to maintain the data, create a google spreadsheet that we can all see (but not edit) and then have ppl PM them to update it as new users rent games / new games get added

Library doesn't seem to move too fast so it shouldn't be too much work. (No, I'm not volunteering lol)

We should all be able to edit. We won't have any acct info itself in the spreadsheet, so everyone can just maintain their tab(s) with their game and its queue on their own. Plus, the only people that will be able to access the sheet will be invited users, so you have to be in the library to even see the sheet. No random people will be able to go in and mess it up.

I won't be able to grab the info tonight either myself..going to bed soon. Taking the family to Universal Studios tomorrow morning, so I should try to get a few hours sleep here.

MattNY.png

#25 Mystique

Mystique

Formerly ₮ℹℊ€®

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

Thanks for the head's up, I moved my PSN Gamer's Club offsite.  Shame you can't keep the social groups, but so be it.

Most titles available as Resell/Phantom/Timeshare with ALL DLC included
•Assassin's Creed 3/4/Brotherhood •Batman Arkham Origins •Battlefield 4 •Borderlands 2/TPS
•Call of Duty Black Ops 2 •Darksiders II •Destiny •Grand Theft Auto V •Heavy Fire Afghanistan
•LA Noire •LittleBigPlanet Karting •Max Payne 3 •Midnight Club LA •Ni No Kuni
•Red Dead Redemption •Saints Row 3 •Sound Shapes •South Park •Smurfs 2
•Tomb Raider (2013) •Watch Dogs
[ Click here to see the full detailed list ]

#26 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

Hopefully in the future we have a solution that doesn't break a bunch of stuff on the site.  Really sorry about this!

#27 KingZ

KingZ

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

Well that sux but cant be helped then, Im thinking of an idea adding the realtime chat-box feature so we can save a lot of time instead of sending PM. Btw CheapyD can you please activate the server on Tapatalk so we can start the convos at ease?

#28 Pravado

Pravado

Paul Heyman Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

Made a post in the library, everyone that's in it should go check it out.

#29 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

Expect the random OT chatter in threads all over the site to increase with the death of the social groups.

Guess we can't say "go take it to a social group and not do it in here" any longer.

#30 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

Horseshit. =\

Instead of making them go away altogether can't you just have somebody moderate the groups, and oversee things, and delete groups that have been inactive for so-so amount of time?

And can't there be a process where instead of letting people just up and make new groups and have it go through, make it go through some sort of an approval process before the group gets created?

It seems sort of crappy to get rid of groups for those who actually have active groups.

mew.gif?t=1406933044mew2.gif?t=1406933043