• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

Cubs Fan Too :(

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

Horseshit. =\

Instead of making them go away altogether can't you just have somebody moderate the groups, and oversee things, and delete groups that have been inactive for so-so amount of time?

And can't there be a process where instead of letting people just up and make new groups and have it go through, make it go through some sort of an approval process before the group gets created?

It seems sort of crappy to get rid of groups for those who actually have active groups.

What? The groups aren't going away because of people's behaviors in them. Read the posts from Cheapy for an explanation as to why. It is purely technical issues with the site upgrade.

GS Feedback Sheet/Thread

https://docs.google....NWc&usp=sharing

MattNY.png

#32 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

What? The groups aren't going away because of people's behaviors in them. Read the posts from Cheapy for an explanation as to why. It is purely technical issues with the site upgrade.

"There aren't very many active groups, so I've decided these are going away."

My main gripe is that when there are usually issues with these kinds of functionality issues you try to fix them, or at least try to find another solution.

This solution is lazy, and not even a solution.

"We can't figure it out so we're just going to give up."

Posted Image

#33 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

That was added to his OP, and the topic was changed, after the fact. If you read through the thread, you can see discussion that would indicate that.

Since it is causing so many issues, at some point a business decision has to be made. Is it worth the man hours, the money and possibly holding the site back for a handful of active groups? I think a reasonable person would say no, especially if it was your business.

I believe if there was an easy solution, the admins would provide it. No business wants to remove features and potentially alienate users. It is bad for business. That leads me to believe they have investigated it and determined it is not feasible to provide a solution right now. When you are managing a huge project such as a site upgrade, you have to manage your hours and investment into each area. At some point, you put in so much and if it is not working, you cannot mortgage the overall completion for the sake of a subsection.

Hopefully, when this project has been completed and other fires have been put out, it can be put back on the table. Of course, you can just insult people though without trying to put anything in perspective though..

GS Feedback Sheet/Thread

MattNY.png

#34 qualityman13

qualityman13

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:10 PM

Cant we have private forums?

Want 20% off games at Best Buy? Click here. http://www.cheapassg...t-buy-discount/
Free Amazon Prime For 3 Months (Enjoy Free Two day Shipping)
http://www.amazon.co...ef_type=generic

#35 WhiskeyCrazy

WhiskeyCrazy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

It's a depressing turn of events - groups like gameshare library were one of the key things that kept me coming here on a regular basis.  Even if I lent out more than I borrowed, it was the participation that made me feel like I was a part of something that meant something.  Now that they're going away, it's truly a sad day.  I know our one group has decided to go off site - a move that no one really wanted,

This will probably be the thing that causes me (and others) to go from a "log in every day" status to a "log in once in a blue moon - if at all" status. 

Damned shame to see things work out like this

#36 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:52 AM

It's a depressing turn of events - groups like gameshare library were one of the key things that kept me coming here on a regular basis.  Even if I lent out more than I borrowed, it was the participation that made me feel like I was a part of something that meant something.  Now that they're going away, it's truly a sad day.  I know our one group has decided to go off site - a move that no one really wanted,

This will probably be the thing that causes me (and others) to go from a "log in every day" status to a "log in once in a blue moon - if at all" status. 

Well said Whiskey, though I hope you still stick around the thread and join us in the new library. We are testing out a forum option as we speak.

GS Feedback Sheet/Thread

MattNY.png

#37 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:23 PM

Completely understand.  Unfortunately, in IPB, the Social Groups system is a 3rd party add-on and is inherently broken and causing other issues on the site.  There are so few active users of the Social Groups system (only 10 of you posted in this thread), it just doesn't make any sense to have it causing problems when 99.9% of CAGs don't use it.

If an official Groups add-on comes, or one that isn't broken.  We can add it back.

#38 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:47 AM

So does anyone need more time getting information from their groups?  Would like to cast off from this Social Groups mod ASAP.  Again, I apologize for the inconvenience. 

#39 Pravado

Pravado

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:53 AM

Game Share group has everything backed up

GS Library: www.cagshare.lefora.com

A vouch from a thread vet/regular is required for entry, along with a quality donation of your own. Have your vouch PM me, and PM me what you would be donating before attempting to register.

#40 QDizzle

QDizzle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:23 AM

messed up cheapy. and even though 10 of us posted here there are alot more guys who take part that are too busy with work or other issues to check here heck i found out about this by accident and made a post about it on the GS THREAD thats how the other GS guys found out. but i guess you know whats best for the site. You brought us this far. I hope you keep your word on returning it if their is a proper add on later.

#41 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:12 AM

I promise you there is no alterior motive to removing them other than they are broken.

I'll make sure the warning message appears on every page in the social groups.

#42 woodcan

woodcan

TX Regional CAG VP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

So, I just want to say my peace before the Social Groups are gone. I've been a long-time CAG member and CAGcast listener. I often came to CAG for deals well before I ever registered.

Way back in 2008, a few months after COD4 came out a few of us became "buddies" playing the Multiplayer on Xbox 360.  We basically hijacked the COD4 360 thread as our social corner on CAG.  We became a close group of friends with some of us meeting up at PAX and even traveling to meet up in real life.  We have continued to play other 360, PC and PS3 games together and we have used the social group area to stay in touch and talk about various games, deals, and personal life that we would not share in public forums.  It became our own little sanctuary where most of us would go to directly and completely avoid the main page of CAG.  We still supported the site by posting links to deal threads and purchasing/pre-ordering our games through CAG links.  Yeah, we can use Facebook and most of us are friends on Facebook that means we are going to a different site rather than yours.

We would greatly appreciate it if and when you could bring back the social groups in some form or fashion and hopefully in a better format than they exist today because since the CAG redesign they are very unfriendly leaving us inactive here and more on the less than desirable Facebook.

-flesh

Spoiler

#43 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for your heartfelt post.  I promise that these groups are only going away because they don't work properly, and for no ulterior motive.  I will continue to search out alternatives.

One thing you may wish to check out is the new Blogs system here.  You can create a "private club" or "friends only" blog with a few different options on who can view the blog, post entries, comment, etc.  That it's called "private club" leads me to believe it may meet some of your needs.  If you have the time, please take a look and let me know your thoughts.

Your Blog Settings
From the "Your Blog Settings" area of your settings panel, you can click on your blog name to manage its settings, including:

• Your Blog - This is general settings for your blog such as the name, description and whether it is local or external. You may also be able to change the view permissions. "Public" means all members that can see the blogs can see your blog, "Private Club" means that only members you allow can see your blog, and "Private" means only you can see your blog. Some of these options may not be available.
  • Your local blog settings - If you have a local blog, you can configure here various settings such as guest access, comments and trackbacks.
  • RSS Settings - You may be able to disable RSS, or enable an alternate RSS service here.
  • Customize the look of your Blog - You may be able to change the way your blog is displayed here such as the style it uses, and the number of entries shown per page.
  • Private Club - If your blog is in "Private Club" mode, you can enter who has access to your blog here.
  • Editors - You may be able to assign additional people permission to add entries to your blog. Enter the names of members who should have this permission here.
  • Your external blog settings - If you have an external blog, you can enter the URL to it here.

http://www.cheapassg...lp&do=01&HID=10

#44 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:44 AM

All hail the Ragtag CAG's! Tell Wombat that's the group Thorbahn 3 and I belong to! Remember the episode when he thought Thor had no friends?

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#45 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:00 PM

I second woodcan and MSUHitman's posts.  Really miss the ragtag social group.  

I really like the look of CAG 3.0, but other than the notification system I don't like the functionality as well.  No social groups, no easy ignore user option with in posts (have to copy name and go into ignore settings and manually paste it in and  enter it), etc.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#46 Masker13

Masker13

League Legend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

What the Fuck cheapy. You ending your thug life group :twoguns:

#47 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

What the Fuck cheapy. You ending your thug life group :twoguns:

That is the ultimate in thug life...ending your own thug life group. 

#48 person123

person123

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

Are groups gone for good now? The group I was in last night says I need a password to enter it.

#49 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:51 AM

Are groups gone for good now? The group I was in last night says I need a password to enter it.

Who knows?  There was never really any solutions that was even remotely looked at, and it seems like groups are pretty much tertiary at this point, and maybe even further down the list of things CAG care list.

Hopefully if and when they do find a new system they'll do a better job promoting it as a feasible feature than they had done in the past because the majority of CAG didn't even know it was a feature you could utilize.

Sad to see groups gone; hope to see something replace it; eager to believe there is a solution; doubtful anything will actually happen.

Posted Image

#50 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:13 AM

Rest in peace Ragtag CAG forum.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#51 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:50 AM

If there is a usable Social Groups replacement, we will use it. If there isn't, we won't. It's that simple.

We have backups.

#52 cheeky

cheeky

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

Can someone direct me to the new home for flippers flip club?  

#53 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

I know I'm late on this, but I know I tried starting a group or two when the feature went live and it's been so broken that I just gave up on it. In fact, it was impossible to even post a new message no matter how much I tried and even after John looked into it two or three times. I say that because the fact only 30 people have a message posted to a group might not actually reflect the demand of groups on the site. A lot of us might have just given up on it since it was broken initially. I do think if a functional group feature were to return it would get a lot of use on the site, but I'm sure if it is plausible/possible then it will be implemented.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get Assassin's Creed III, Bioshock Infinite, NBA 2K14 or other games for $1 (Steam):  http://www.cheapassg...r-1/?p=11692782