$39 500GB WD Portable Hard Drive @ Target

This forum is for videogame deals. Theres a place on the board for Other material

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I may have to see if Best Buy will PM this. Although I'll probably just crack it open anyway and use the HDD in my PS3.

You can avoid shipping by getting it in-store & even with 10% tax it`s only $42.90 plus redcard hss a discount to make it cheaper too.

It can be price matched at BB since it`s in the weekly ad not online only I`d rather pm there & reduce the toal cost with RZ certs & earn pts rather than paying 2x as much at amazon + shipping.

If the black one goes OOS try one of the other colors

Aha, something on which I can use my Target GC from last week's game trade-ins...and my local store apparently has it in stock. :)

Thanks, OP. This'll come in handy when I eventually get a Wii U.

Based on my knowledge of the WiiU this will not work with it. From what I've read all the external HDD that the WiiU can use cannot draw power from the USB, they need to be plugged into the wall. Perhaps it is not a requirement, but more of a suggestion. I don't own a WiiU so this just based on what I've read.

Based on my knowledge of the WiiU this will not work with it. From what I've read all the external HDD that the WiiU can use cannot draw power from the USB, they need to be plugged into the wall. Perhaps it is not a requirement, but more of a suggestion. I don't own a WiiU so this just based on what I've read.
Oh...Could a WiiU owner confirm this? I don't really have much use for a portable HDD otherwise. :whistle2:|

This is taken from the official Nintendo site:

What external USB storage devices can be used with Wii U?

To ensure maximum performance between your Wii U and an external storage device, we recommend using a hard-disc drive (HDD) with a dedicated power source (i.e., using an A/C adapter).

Sweet...just checked and they're in stock at a store near me. Now the only question is to pull the trigger tomorrow or roll the dice and see if i can find it Friday on the tax holiday? :whistle2:k

I can confirm without an external power source the hard drive will eventually fail. It took only 2 days of using it to happen. Definitely get a hard drive with an external power source.

I can confirm without an external power source the hard drive will eventually fail. It took only 2 days of using it to happen. Definitely get a hard drive with an external power source.
You had this exact drive? Sounds like you got a lemon.

This is relevant, especially for those of us looking for an external Wii U HD.
You need this http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-dual-Micro-B-Cable-Black/dp/B005M0ICG2

The WD passport does not have external power or a standard USB connector, so your bog standard Y cable will not work. There is not even a jack for a power supply.

I have a WII U and a 750GB My Passport. I have one full retail game and several VC games on it. It works flawlessly with the Y cable set up, but you need that dual A to SS USB cable. I've not seen its ilk before, so make sure you get the one that looks like this:

41nxiRlm9TL._SY300_.jpg

If you connect the drive with the included, normal one-way cable, the drive will blink and the Wii U will not recognize it.

Oh...Could a WiiU owner confirm this? I don't really have much use for a portable HDD otherwise. :whistle2:|
If you use a Y cable (in this case, the correct Y cable) you will not have a problem. You will eat up two USB ports on your Wii U, but there will be two left. YMMV, of course, but the only way to mess this up (that I know of) is to leave out the Y cable.

Also, note to anyone using a flash drive or something who wants to transfer - transferring data between external drives is possible. Wii U will not let you play games (from the drives) while two drives are attached; you'll only be allowed to move files.

Keep in mind that you cannot use your Wii U HDD for anything else. Your PC will not be able to read it, and you cannot partition the drive. However, this is the cheapest I've seen any external HDD, and you're probably never going to need more than 500GB, unless Nintendo starts selling movies.

The drive is very compact, BTW. The only connector is that SS USB connector, there's no room for a power jack. A drive with a power supply would have a much larger footprint and need yet another outlet.

wii-u-hdd.jpg

For those of you who need 1 that plugs into the wall, you can try Office Depot.

YMMV.

I got a WD My Book Essential 1TB External Hard Drive USB 3.0(2.0 compatible), thanks to SD, for $24.93 + tax..

SKU# 857634

You can have them check surrounding stores. Don't mention the price as it'll probably be unstickered. Just go in and buy it. They may have to grab it from the stockroom.

It was not a lemon. It was not the same drive but the type with no external powee supply. I bought a 2TB hard drive with external and it has worked flawlessly.

Has anyone tried one of the external SSDs like Transcend ESD200?  They allegedly need only one USB port (no external power required).  My WiiU regularly travels with me, so I'd prefer not to need another AC adapter.

I'm starting to run out of space on my PC's 1TB HDD due to all the Steam games I've acquired so I might pick this up to give me some extra space fairly cheap. Thanks for the post, OP.

Really tempted seeing as how I filled up my bulky 500GB and only have 10GB left on my laptop but I think I'm just gonna wait until Black Friday. Hoping for the same price but for a 1TB.

I need a portable HD.. my local store has some listed as limited stock.  Might jump on this after work, haven't decided yet.

Thanks OP.... Im going to be heading to Gamestop tonight after work to pick up Dragons Crown for the Vita and there is a target next door. 

This forum is for videogame deals. Theres a place on the board for Other material
This item is a gaming accessory & definitely belongs in Video Game Deals.

Thanks TC for pointing out this deal. I'm picking one up at my local store thanks to you =D

I was thinking about grabbing this to take out the hard drive to upgrade my PS3.  However it seems that a lot of these external drives have the usb soldered to the hard drive instead of sata.  Does anybody know if that would be the case with this one or if there is a way to tell?

EDIT: Never mind its looking like nope.  WD uses some kind of proprietary usb connection for their external hard drives.  However still good price for Wii U storage.

For those of you who need 1 that plugs into the wall, you can try Office Depot.

YMMV.

I got a WD My Book Essential 1TB External Hard Drive USB 3.0(2.0 compatible), thanks to SD, for $24.93 + tax..
SKU# 857634

You can have them check surrounding stores. Don't mention the price as it'll probably be unstickered. Just go in and buy it. They may have to grab it from the stockroom.

Thank you for the tip. May try this today. I checked online and the SKU only shows a 2tb and 3tb model so I assume ymmv and in store only for the 1tb then.

I was thinking about grabbing this to take out the hard drive to upgrade my PS3. However it seems that a lot of these external drives have the usb soldered to the hard drive instead of sata. Does anybody know if that would be the case with this one or if there is a way to tell?

EDIT: Never mind its looking like nope. WD uses some kind of proprietary usb connection for their external hard drives. However still good price for Wii U storage.
So would this not work for PS3 storage? I'm just a little confused cause this would be ideal for me.

This item is a gaming accessory & definitely belongs in Video Game Deals.
I'd have mentioned that Amazon had the same deal - if it was a gaming accessory. But it isn't, any more than cable modems, entertainment centers or surge protectors. If you want to dilute CAG into a catch-all for any general purpose item that could possibly be used with gaming, go to town. At that point the rest of us will just use a site that already does that, and slicker. But I hope that doesn't happen.

If you want the thread to die, don't reply to it.

So would this not work for PS3 storage? I'm just a little confused cause this would be ideal for me.
It would, if you connect it via USB. He wanted to remove the disk from the enclosure and install it inside the PS3, if I read that right

bread's done
Back