Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright - Out Now!

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNnQ2dETRAo

Confirmed in this morning's Nintendo Direct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that's half good news... the other half is if it gets a retail release.

Well, that's half good news... the other half is if it gets a retail release.
Its chances of a retail release are a bit better for two reasons:

1) Level-5 and Nintendo are involved. Nothing's been confirmed yet, but since they're still publishing the Azran Legacy, it wouldn't be surprising if NoA & NoE are publishing this as well.

2) It likely won't get the dreaded M rating, since it deals with witch trials in a medieval-style city instead of murder trials.

At the very least, a retail release in Europe is almost certain, as Layton is a huge seller over there. And speaking of Europe, their release date is marked as "Early" 2014 in their trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtWgvmaPBAA

(That Shibata and his antics)

When this was first announced. I never thought I would own a 3DS let alone a 3DS XL. I guess I probably should play the first 3 games of the Professor Layton series, they are in my backlog before this is released.  I already played all the Ace Attorney games. 

Still wish Ace Attorney Investigations 2 would be released.  I so would jump on a digital copy, even if it was just an English translated port of the DS game, was available on the eShop.

Its chances of a retail release are a bit better for two reasons:
1) Level-5 and Nintendo are involved. Nothing's been confirmed yet, but since they're still publishing the Azran Legacy, it wouldn't be surprising if NoA & NoE are publishing this as well.
2) It likely won't get the dreaded M rating, since it deals with witch trials in a medieval-style city instead of murder trials.
That's reassuring. I hate finding out a game that I'd never thought would be heading west will be localized, only to find out it'll be digital only (Dual Destinies, and the recently announced Senran Kagura Burst).

I get the whole "you should be happy it's being localized and support the game" sentiment but I'm strongly against digital distribution (and that's all I'll say, don't wanna detail the thread too much).

It would be really annoying if Europe got a retail release and North America didn't.  Given that the 3DS is region locked for most games. 

Region lockout is pointless. I have yet to see region lockout's true purpose, except to annoy the consumer.

Finally a US Release date: August 29th, 2014. A retail release looks likely too, since Nintendo's publishing it.

E3 Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiJ7JwwlG6o

EDIT: Amazon preorder's up!

I plan to find out at my local GS this afternoon. :D/

EDIT: The $31.99 price is being honored in stores, at least until something changes.

:D retail release then? How long do I have to cancel that pre-order if I get it? I don't want it if it won't be retail. I'll just wait until I can afford a Japanese 3DS.

We are getting a retail release. Preorders are open at Amazon and GameStop as we speak.

It's got honest-to-goodness cover art and everything. Nintendo is publishing PLvPW, so it's in good hands (for a change).

Oh, dear Lord...it's out in the states in a week. Can't...wait!

And yeah, I'm glad PL V. PW is getting a boxed release; download times on the 3DS can be a b****.

I'm hosting a launch-ish party for PL v. PW on 8/30 using my almighty StreetPass Evansville admin powers. Having Mario Kart 8 there as well so my husband can't say I'm doing something stupid like hosting a StreetPass event for a single-player game. :speaktothehand:

I've been waiting 3 years for this game... what's another week?

Does anyone here know if you need to play the Professor Layton games to understand half of this story?  I have already played all of the Ace Attorney games, except AA:Investigations 2.

Does anyone here know if you need to play the Professor Layton games to understand half of this story? I have already played all of the Ace Attorney games, except AA:Investigations 2.
I cheated and saw some gameplay on Youtube six months ago. Short answer: nope! Long answer: What SailorNeorune said.

I'm hosting a launch-ish party for PL v. PW on 8/30 using my almighty StreetPass Evansville admin powers. Having Mario Kart 8 there as well so my husband can't say I'm doing something stupid like hosting a StreetPass event for a single-player game. :speaktothehand:

I've been waiting 3 years for this game... what's another week?
Pity that Layton games won't get the attention like a midnight party at GS or BB for Madden 15, lol. Even Amazing Spider-Man 2 had a launch event...for a very lackluster game I might add.

Are you guys getting a physical copy of downloading off of the eShop?

I've been loving digital recently (switching to AC:NL digital was one of the greatest things I've ever done), but I also really like having a game case to display. I'm on the fence so far with PLvsAA, Super Smash Bros and Theatrhythm. The latter two I KNOW I'd be playing all the time!

I became a Layton fan a week ago by playing the Diabolical box. Still have the last specter and miracle mask waiting for me, but I'm really tempted to buy this on day one...

Picked the game up and just started Phoenix's first chapter. I can understand not redubbing Phoenix, but his "Objection!" shout is so lifeless.

Also, couldn't they have changed the script to US spellings?

Usually the voices that are picked out by Level 5 are pretty good. I was a little surprised that the voices were a bit underwhelming this game around. 

Keep it going though, if you're a fan of either series I promise you this: you will NOT be disappointed with the game. 

I got into the suspense of the story and beat it in about 28 hours...probably 32 if you count the times I reset the game and redid some of the game over since I missed on some picarats and messed up on some of the trials. 

I love it...the story, the characters, the gameplay, even the rehashed puzzles were given a facelift to fit into Labrynthia's context over just being recycled from Say Miracle Mask (I'm looking at you Azran Legacy). Best of all, the soundtrack completes the game's feel and emotion especially when the voices often fail to do so.

I wish I could get that OST here from Japan. That deserves to be on iTunes at least.

Also, don't forget to download those extra episodes....not giving too much away but you'll get shades of Deadpool....gentleman's style of course.

bread's done
Back