Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Attack of the Friday Monsters: a tokyo tale - anyone playing/played it?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wasabi5858

wasabi5858

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:10 AM

Anyone played/playing Attack of the Friday Monsters?  I just started Friday and I am enjoying it very much.  Really like the art style and the backdrop.  I like the simplicity/pace of the game and that it is full of charm  (sort of like the feeling of playing ninokuni after all the other flashy games). 

Anyway. not much to discuss about the game since it looks to be fairly short, but just surprised that I haven't seen it talked about nor does it show up in forum search.

#2 zelda27520

zelda27520

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:01 AM

I love that game i just suck at trying to finish it. i can't get pass beating some in the card game.

#3 wasabi5858

wasabi5858

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

I just finished it.  Nanafushi is hard! I end up just using 4 of the same (would've use 5 if I have that many) and took my chances.   Great experience, this is well worth the $8 bucks.

#4 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

Yeah, I totally love this game.  It's like a visual novel, with a little more gameplay, presented as a JRPG.  It also reminds me a bit of PC adventure games, though it doesn't have the whole puzzle-solving mentality.

I hope it's selling well.  It's a miracle of fate that we even got it in the US.  There was probably some commitment made to translate all the "Guild" games into English, which is the only reason we got it and Crimson Shroud I'd imagine.  They're odd little gems, and I hope they pave the way for more odd little gems to get translated into English and released on the eshop.

#5 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

I guess I'm in the minority since I hated it.

Too much running back and forth, the card game is horrible, and there are no monsters until the very end. I just found it boring and not worth the money. The trailer tricked me.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#6 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

Probably a lot of people feel tricked.  Even I didn't know quite what to expect.  Fortunately, I like boring games.  :)

It reminded me of a Japan-only game whose name I can't think of, but something along the lines of My Summer Vacation.

#7 wasabi5858

wasabi5858

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:41 PM

It reminded me of a Japan-only game whose name I can't think of, but something along the lines of My Summer Vacation.

That's cuz it is from the same people 

http://en.wikipedia....o_Natsuyasumi_4

#8 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

That's the one! :)

I was studying Japanese for... quite a while (as an actual student for a bit, even), and I always wanted to play that damn game.  But I am forever at the mercy of American publishers.

I was hoping Friday Monsters would somehow be amazingly popular.

#9 Tonks

Tonks

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

That's the one! :)

I was studying Japanese for... quite a while (as an actual student for a bit, even), and I always wanted to play that damn game.  But I am forever at the mercy of American publishers.

I was hoping Friday Monsters would somehow be amazingly popular.

You've made at least one more sale for them just by describing it in this thread :)  (Though I must admit I'll probably wait for a sale price... backlog...)

#10 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

:)  I made sure to buy it as soon as it came out and review it right way.

It's funny how I can be so cheap on some things and so guilt-riddenly supportive/spendy on others.

#11 MrGranger

MrGranger

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:30 PM

Any sign of a sequel or "like" game? This is one of the most unique/fun games on any system.  I'd love to see more like Attack of the Friday Monsters: a tokyo tale.

#12 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

There are a lot of games like it in Japan, but we were lucky to even get this one in English, I'm afraid.

#13 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:05 AM

I got this when they had the last Level 5 sale.  Was a really cute little game.  Recommended if you're at all interested in it.

RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#14 MrGranger

MrGranger

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:58 AM

One of the best 3ds games. Would love more like it.

#15 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

About 10 years ago, I thought of learning Japanese just to play all the awesome stuff they get. Probably not the best life goal, and it was abandoned within a month or two. But still. Man. Japanese be lucky to get all the awesome.