Are the first gen games of PS4/XB1 truly next gen?

qcjoe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
The title says it all. Many  games are coming out that have been developed for current consoles as well as the new ones.  Besides graphics what will the differences be in these games?  What got me thinking about this is I have to trade in my PS3 to be able to afford a PS4.  There are so many good games coming out that you cant play on the PS4.  Im trying to talk my self into waiting, but there are games like Destiny and Watch Dogs coming out that I want to play.  Both are going to be available for both systems.  What are your guys opinions on this?

I'm not in the market for a PS4 yet.  I like to wait awhile to see how other people react to it, if the games are worth it, any issues with the console, etc.  And maybe a price drop.  I also want Watch Dogs but I'll wait for that to hit $20 as well and the reviews.  If the PS4 version is superior to the PS3, then I will hold off on buying it until I get a PS4.  If it's not, then I will get it for the PS3.  

The launch games don't look like a big step up graphic wise, and it always takes a year at least to fully utilize the architecture inside the boxes.  Once we start seeing games like Titanfall & Destiny hit, the next gen will be on!

I think Watch Dogs is one of the few games that was developed with next gen in mind, and then scaled back for it's current gen releases. Titles like BF4 and CoD were likely designed to be released for as many systems as possible and probably won't be as impressive... 

But it doesn't seem like there's going to be any system shortages this time around so it probably won't hurt to take a wait and see approach. 

The title says it all. Many games are coming out that have been developed for current consoles as well as the new ones. Besides graphics what will the differences be in these games? What got me thinking about this is I have to trade in my PS3 to be able to afford a PS4. There are so many good games coming out that you cant play on the PS4. Im trying to talk my self into waiting, but there are games like Destiny and Watch Dogs coming out that I want to play. Both are going to be available for both systems. What are your guys opinions on this?
IMO, it will be a long time before the current-gen systems are obsolete. The cross-gen games we've seen like Ghosts and Assassin's Creed IV look exactly the same, only with slightly better lighting and textures in the next-gen versions. Even Dragon Age Inquisition, which doesn't come out until late 2014, is confirmed to have the same content on current- and next-gen, the only difference will be the graphical fidelity. I think this will be the case for many, many games over the next year or two. Now, something like Infamous 3 is a different story. But if the titles you're interested in are the cross-gen ones, I feel like there's definitely no rush to get a new console.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, it will be a long time before the current-gen systems are obsolete. The cross-gen games we've seen like Ghosts and Assassin's Creed IV look exactly the same, only with slightly better lighting and textures in the next-gen versions. Even Dragon Age Inquisition, which doesn't come out until late 2014, is confirmed to have the same content on current- and next-gen, the only difference will be the graphical fidelity. I think this will be the case for many, many games over the next year or two. Now, something like Infamous 3 is a different story. But if the titles you're interested in are the cross-gen ones, I feel like there's definitely no rush to get a new console.
Yeah Infamous 3 looks sick. Thats one of the few that seems to be truly next gen.

I thought killzone looked really good. Next-gen good. These are launch games...and will will be the worst looking games on the system when we look back. What I hope,is that these next gen games are in true HD and not a 640p game and then upscaled by the system. Also I hope all cut scenes are in true HD as well.

Exclusive stuff like Killzone is since it was built from the ground up soley for the PS4 by a team that head early access to dev kits etc. Multiplatform stuff like CoD isn't so much since they probably focused mostly on the 360/PS3 as that's where they'll sell the most copies this fall for sure.

And even with the exclusives they by no means push the system to the max.  I mean look at how much better a game like The Last of Us looks compared to PS3/360 launch titles.

bread's done
Back