PS4 Xbone

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#31 Righteous Nixon

Righteous Nixon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Are you early adopters ready for limited variety?

I'm buying the PS4 day one, but I don't know how good to feel about that.  Hopefully Killzone and the free version of Drive Club will be awesome, but maybe they won't be and I'll just want to play GTAV essentially wasting spending MSRP dollars day one.  Consoles are strictly about games and having variety on the shelf.

IF a critical launch title flops, or simply turns out to be average and not "must own" consoles in the early years suddenly have a tough sell.  Of course, reviews ultimately play a huge part in this process and reading the article on IGN about the graphics on of the PS4 version of Battlefield 4 being inferior lead me to think about how important early titles are to the success of a console.  

At the same time I really want to know what type of difference are we talking about graphically for multiplatform games from PS3/360 to PS4/One?  Are the new games coming this fall, like NBA2k, Madden, COD, AC Black Flag, and Watch Dogs still going to look and play great and on par with next gen on the 360 and PS3?  Or is EA, Ubisoft, and Activision going to nail the next gen freshman year and have these titles looking and playing flawlessly on next gen consoles?

I could see the PS4 version of Battlefield not being that great, but if the console is so easy to develop on why shouldn't it be?  What other games could you see being suspect at launch?  I'm guessing Watch Dogs will run better on One for some reason but Killzone will blow everything away, but not critically.

I couldn't possibly disagree more. First off, I have been through console launches time and time again over the last 25+ years so I understand going in that it takes time before you see a steady stream of quality titles hitting the market. As long as you understand that its simply a part of jumping to a new generation of consoles, its simply becomes a non issue. Second, I consider the XBox One launch line-up to be the strongest launch line-up in the history of game consoles. It literally destroys the launch line-ups from previous generations. I have 9 games pre-ordered for launch (Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4, COD, Crimson Dragon, Need for Speed, Assassins Creed IV) and I think the most I had ever pre-ordered with previous generations was 3. Not to mention there are great games coming a few months down the road like Titanfall (which if its as good as it looks will be a game I play for a very long time), Project Spark, Wolfenstein, etc. Plus I will still have my PS3 and XBox360, and the huge backlog of games I have for both of those systems. Not to mention the new game releases that we will continue to see for those systems as well. There will be no shortage of games to play in my household. That much is a given. 

Consoles are strictly about games and having variety on the shelf.

Once again, couldn't possibly disagree more. The last thing I wanted from this generation of consoles was a console that went back to doing nothing but gaming. For me, consoles have become just as much about the entertainment options as the gaming options. And again there will be plenty of variety once the wheels start fully turning. To expect this at launch is simply unrealistic. Once XBox Live arcade starts churning out titles on a regular basis (or the Playstation store if your going with a PS4 at launch) and we start seeing retail games hitting the shelves on a regular basis, there will be all the variety one can hope for in gaming. This is just a perfect example of a gamer going into a new generation of consoles with completely unrealistic expectations and expectations ultimately play a large role in how much enjoyment a person gets out of something. I am going into this generation with realistic expectations, even with the amazing line-up of launch titles, and as such, I have no doubt whatsoever that I will be 100% content with my decision to buy an XBox One at launch. My PS4 will come later down the line and I have no doubt that I will feel the same way about that purchase as well. 

Of course, if you wind up buying a console on day 1 and your disappointed or unhappy with your purchase, sell it on eBay. Problem solved. There will be hundreds of people, probably a lot more, that will be more than happy to take it off your hands and you will likely get 75%-80% of your money back, maybe more if your lucky. Or you could just bring your expectations down to a realistic level. Maybe then you might actually enjoy your new console. I know I will be enjoying mine. 

AphroditeIXBanner1_zps6fea4a73.jpg

fs_overall.png

"My experiences, tho I would never wish them upon anyone else, have helped make me who I am and what I still hope to be"

#32 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

I'm actually impressed with the launch lineup or launch window lineup for both systems

PS4 - Killzone, Drive Club and Son of Infamous all look like AAA or near AAA titles for a newly released system. There's also a rather large amount of timed indie exclusive titles. The PS3 launch was disgusting.

X1 - It's more of a coin toss and personal preference as most people are shitting on Ryse. But even without Ryse your getting DR3 which looked amazing from the last videos, Forza 4 which is pretty much guaranteed quality looking at the metacritic of Forza games, and KI which actually looks and plays like KI.  If you have any interest in Panzer Dragoon you need to keep your eyes on Crimson Dragon.

#33 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

If you have the money available I would always suggest buying at launch unless it is radically new hardware (that might fail) or from a new/unproven company.

I feel pretty safe with MS and Sony. Even if the price drops $100 in six months that means I'd still be out on top as long as I got roughly ~$16 of enjoyment out of either system per month.

It's just common sense that the longer you wait the cheaper you could get something like this for but for me I'd rather be enjoying it from day one then find excuses to hold off and end up waiting 6 months to a year to get a better version for the same price or save a $100.

As far as the library goes I'm fine with that too. They are at least trying---you can't realistically expect any console to launch with a "library". The PS3/360/WiiU/3DS/Vita all failed in that regard. It takes time to develop games so you either hold back on releasing the technology so more can be developed or you compromise and put it out there and try to get 3 or 4 quality titles as well.

#34 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

It's just too each their own I guess.

There's not a single must play in the launch lineups of either console for me. Honestly, I'd be perfectly fine never playing any of these launch games.  As is, Killzone will probably be the only PS4 launch title I pick up down the road when I get the console.  I just played 2 and 3, and they were good enough--but definitely not $60 day one purchase worthy type games for me (I got them for around $10 a piece).

Since I don't game online much at all, I just have less incentive to buy consoles or games day one.  Better to game a little behind the curve and save money and single player games are just as fun down the road after price drops as they are at launch. Unlike online games where you want to be their day one when the community is most active and everyone are noobs to the game so you're not playing games against people who've been playing daily for months or years when you start up.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#35 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

The only game that interest me at this point is Dead Rising 3.  That means I am paying $560 before tax for 40-50 hours of game play.  Instead I am going to use that money for a Wii U and still have enough money to get every Wii U game that interest me.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#36 ihadFG

ihadFG

Adamustache

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

Most of the launch games (Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield) will be available on PC or current gen hardware, and I'm really not interested in those games anyway.  And then the next-gen exclusive stuff like Killzone, Forza, Infamous, Ryse don't interest me either since they seem like more of the same stuff I've already lost interest in.  The only launch games I'm even a little interested in are Knack (which will probably be decent, but not all that great), Dead Rising 3 (which might be good, but that initial reveal still leaves a bad taste in my mouth), and Crimson Dragon (which could be cool if it even remotely lives up to the Panzer Dragoon series, but it's definitely not worth the cost of a new system to me).  I'm planning to wait until there are some more games I'm interested in (or at least one or two that are must-haves for me) since I don't want to drop hundreds of dollars on a system that might drop in price before any games I actually want come out.

#37 Dnipro Cojiro

Dnipro Cojiro

I change my pic more than I punch goldfish. And I punch A LOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:03 AM

GTA 5 would have definitely helped out PS4 sales

#38 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:25 AM

Its like this every time new consoles are released. Even the original PS had a weird or seemingly lackluster launch lineup. Except when you played Battle Arena Toshinden and Ridge Racer and realized what gems they were. I wish they would make a next-gen Battle Arena Toshinden game. I loved that series.

The Dreamcast had a mind blowing US launch. I still think that Soul Calibur is probably the single most impressive launch-day game ever.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#39 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

The Dreamcast had a mind blowing US launch. I still think that Soul Calibur is probably the single most impressive launch-day game ever.

DC launch was great, but Mario 64 and Super Mario World are still my favorite launch games.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#40 Stimes

Stimes

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

If Dark Souls 2 was not going to be released on the current generation consoles I would have a reason to pick up a XB1 or PS4. I still have Skyrim Legendary and about 50 other games on my backlog to hold me over for a year or two before thinking about going next gen.
Now playing: Dark Souls II

#41 tbassett

tbassett

MW2 Still King

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

Man it's so tough to judge but I would probably agree with this.  Soul Calibur was such an amazing game.  The Dreamcast is my favorite console of all time.  It was just so sick.  Powerstone was really a great launch game as well.

I'm thinking the X1 probably has the best launch line-up ever.  It's tough to judge before hand but the potential of all the games is something I don't think we've had prior to a launch

#42 Abear21

Abear21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:30 PM

The Dreamcast definitely impressed on launch day...I waited in line for one and had friends over that night, we all were blown away by NFL2k and Sonic.  The first time I saw the original Sonic the Hedgehog on Genesis I was blown away as well and had to have it.  Besides that I haven't been amazed by a game at launch in quite some time. 

I didn't think this next gen was really going to bring it either, but after I watched some multiplayer Killzone Shadow Fall gameplay on Youtube I'm beginning to think otherwise.  The lighting and atmosphere looks way more impressive than anything I've seen from Ghosts or Battlefield.  Titanfall looks great too and it makes sense...these devs are working with one set of hardware and have been developing these titles for years. 

Take COD, Battlefield 4, Madden, NBA2k, Assassins Creed 4 and Watch Dogs as opposite examples--they may have been in development for just as long, but will be releasing simultaneously across 4 different sets of hardware...there are sure to be some big differences spanning across them--there will be winners and losers and the fact we know little to nothing about those differences so close to launch has me skeptical and wanting to wait to hear about hands on before buying blindly day one. 

#43 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

Vita also had a strong launch.  You got new game such as Uncharted, Hot Shot Golf, Lumines, and Wipeout as well as ports like Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Rayman. 

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#44 WRXKayaker

WRXKayaker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:00 AM

Every console I've bought since SNES, I have waited for that one game I had to have. For SNES it was Street Fighter II, PS1 was Resident Evil, PS2 = Final Fantasy X, Xbox 360 = Resident Evil 5, and PS3 = The Last of Us. Until I see something on the the next gen systems that I just have to own (probably going to be FF15), I'll slowly work my way through my PS3/PC backlog.

Currently Playing:   :pc: Batman: Arkham Origins     :ps3: Far Cry 3

Recently Completed:    :pc: Bioshock Infinite   :ps3: GTA V

Steam Profile

#45 matrix9280

matrix9280

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:33 AM

Vita also had a strong launch.  You got new game such as Uncharted, Hot Shot Golf, Lumines, and Wipeout as well as ports like Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Rayman. 

:bs:

Never stop making them pay.

#46 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

The electrifying confusion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

Soul Calibur is one of the greatest games ever, launch title or no, but I think I'd probably give the crown to Super Mario World. But SC is a close, close second. :)

Nothing in the launch lineup for either console is impressive to me at all. And the games I'm most looking forward to for this winter and next year (GTA, the Fable remake, Final Fantasy X HD, Lightning Returns, Destiny, Dragon Age Inquisition) are all cross-gen or are current-gen only. So I'm definitely waiting. Right now the best reason I can see to get a PS4 is the free upgrade from the PS3 version of A Realm Reborn. :lol:

Ryuukishi634.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#47 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

has there been any next-gen exclusive game announced that was not originally planned for current-gen nor a sequel/annual game?

PM for BB GCU and Elite+ services!

#48 Effort

Effort

E for Effort

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

I'm never an early adopter. Basically when a new console/handheld comes out the only games released are games that have already been with the company for quite a while. For example Mario with Nintendo. Those are pretty much the only good games at launch. If I were to wait a couple months and get it; I will probably find those launch games really cheap and miss absolutely nothing but instead have many games to choose from.

#49 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

The Dreamcast did have a stellar launch for the U.S. And as good as Soul Calibur still is, it wasn't even the only extremely solid title available on 9/9/1999.

Of course, the reason why the U.S. launch for the Dreamcast was so good was because the system launched in Japan almost a full year earlier. Japan served as an enormous beta test before the Dreamcast came stateside. The Japan launch of the Dreamcast was terrible, with almost no worthwhile games.

This is a consequence of regional releases that we don't see quite as often in the global economy of today. While some Japanese gamers might be upset about the PS4 launching in the U.S. several months earlier, they may end up having the last laugh. A lot of issues with the PS4 will probably get ironed out before the Japanese launch, thanks to the experience Sony gets with the U.S. launch. Japan will also be getting some of the delayed games that the U.S. misses out on at launch.

At the end of the day, early adoption of launch hardware is always a sucker's game. You are always rolling the dice on whether or not the console will end up being worthwhile. With the PS4, it's less of a risk, but its still a risk.

#50 Cito1109

Cito1109

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:57 AM

Xbox One, day One!

#51 frogkopf

frogkopf

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

I've got a PS4 on order with Best Buy, but I'm having second thoughts myself. 

Last time around I waited a couple of years before getting a PS3 and 360, until there were a decent number of good games in the $20 range. 

Right now, I have about a 3 year backlog on current generation games, and I'm afraid that if I jump in with the new platform, that I'll be wowed by the graphics and never go back and play the great games I have on the current console. At least that's what happened with xBox and PS2 to a certain degree.

#52 frogkopf

frogkopf

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

There's also the case of my natural aversion to being a paying beta tester - let others find the problems and then give the company time to fix them before plunking down money, sez I!

#53 tbassett

tbassett

MW2 Still King

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

I currently have both X1 and PS4 pre-ordered and paid off.  I'm thinking of canceling my PS4 pre-order.  They have such a weak launch lineup compared to the X1.  I really can see it sitting for a long time till Infamous: SS comes out.  And then after that it will sit again for a long time.  I'm thinking of picking it up next XMas when they'll have 2-3 games worth playing.

Once X1 comes out and I got Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, maybe Ryse, and Killer Instinct there's no way the PS4 is getting touched.  Wonder how hard it will be to come by.  Could just sale it.

#54 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

About 6 months ago I said I would wait until spring of 2015 to make the switch to next gen. Yet today I have both consoles pre-ordered and paid for. Killzone and Forza 5 are the only two games I want.

Xecutioner
CML

#55 io

io

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

Once X1 comes out and I got Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, maybe Ryse, and Killer Instinct there's no way the PS4 is getting touched.  Wonder how hard it will be to come by.  Could just sale it.

Kind of the opposite for me.  I don't get this general internet meme that the X1 launch is so great.  None of those games interest me in the slightest (except possibly for Rhyse when it gets sub-$20 since I'm a Roman history buff - though I expect any faithfulness to ancient Rome to be butchered :lol:).  My son does want DR3, though, so we'll be getting that.  If it weren't for him, I'd probably pass on the X1 at launch.  For PS4 I'm excited to see what I get from PS+.  Other than Knack, I don't plan on buying anything for it yet I expect to have plenty to play.

#56 tbassett

tbassett

MW2 Still King

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:01 AM

Kind of the opposite for me.  I don't get this general internet meme that the X1 launch is so great.  None of those games interest me in the slightest (except possibly for Rhyse when it gets sub-$20 since I'm a Roman history buff - though I expect any faithfulness to ancient Rome to be butchered :lol:).  My son does want DR3, though, so we'll be getting that.  If it weren't for him, I'd probably pass on the X1 at launch.  For PS4 I'm excited to see what I get from PS+.  Other than Knack, I don't plan on buying anything for it yet I expect to have plenty to play.

I'm curious what Sony will be offering with PS+ now that you need that to play online.  I haven't seen a solid answer and it doesn't seem like anyone has asked the question.  I would think the quality of title is going to drop since the value now includes access to online.  You excited for the indie type games they are pushing?

#57 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:16 AM

I'm curious what Sony will be offering with PS+ now that you need that to play online. I haven't seen a solid answer and it doesn't seem like anyone has asked the question. I would think the quality of title is going to drop since the value now includes access to online. You excited for the indie type games they are pushing?

My guess, for what it's worth, is that early on Sony will give us some of the AAA titles EU has been getting lately for the PS3 and they will throw in a few PSN games for PS4. They'll adjust accordingly over the lifetime of the console. Either way it's a nice bonus.
Xecutioner
CML

#58 steverl22

steverl22

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

This happens every time a system comes out...I'll tell you what the 1st year of these next gen system looks good to me.

548012.png

#59 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

As much as I want to jump in on day one for both systems, which I pre-ordered as soon as I could, for me there isn't yet a 'gotta have it NOW' game compelling enough to have me fork over a grand - or even half that.

Have been an early adopter since Sega Genesis and can't believe that, for once, I'm leaning towards waiting...

Seeing as I'm only 50 hours into Dragon's Dogma and still have Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Fallout: New Vegas, The Witcher 2 and a bunch of other A-AA-AAA titles waiting for my attention, how can I move forward onto the next thing?

Until Titanfall then, I suppose...still holding out, though. Maybe...

#60 Abear21

Abear21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

For me, I know once I see Killzone in full effect I'll need to run out and get a PS4, so I already preordered.  The good news is that even when these killer titles are available and the great reviews start pouring in and the next gen is officially here and amazing and all--from the sounds of it those who are willing to wait will have no trouble getting a hold of a system come this holiday and beyond. 

The nature of people is that they want what they can't have--and you can bet Sony and MS know this.  If a system sells out it is suddenly more desirable, so is it a good strategy to have a ton of stock on the shelves at launch? 

Even if the PS4 and X1 do sell out right away I'll be wondering if they really do have systems available to sell and are just making people sweat a little, then suddenly come Christmas they are readily available.  That's a great advantage to this long wait for the next gen--the hardcore have preordered in great numbers and if those casual gamers can't get an X1 or PS4, Sony and MS can always sell them a PS3 or 360 instead and probably make a greater profit while doing so.