Photo
* * * * - 37 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 12/24: Holiday Sale Wk 4 (Proteus, DuckTales, Hotline Miami, Castle of Illusion)! Walking Dead S2 Season Pass $15!

PS3 Vita PSP PlayStation Store PSN PlayStation Plus Deals PS1 PS2 PS+

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10878 replies to this topic

#271 Investor9872

Investor9872

CAG Supremo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

Tell us more.  I love that game.

I have a love/hate relationship with Zombie Tycoon II.

<p>Gamefly PS3 chipped discs. Click on more pictures below to enlarge them.
Investor9872.png

#272 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

I played the KZ:M beta once and then deleted it several days later, but I'm not a big FPS guy, so that doesn't say much. The one thing that did bug me about it was that there was no kill cam. Yeah, maps are small, yeah, but still I think it's a fun addition to a FPS and it helps out a newb like me. Gives me something to look at, at least, when I die over and over. LOL. I could see picking the game up when it goes cheap. < $20. Definitely not something I'd buy full price.

#273 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

and this is why the vita can't have a 'system seller' game. because even though KZ:M looks beautiful, even the bad reviews acknowledge this is the best FPS ever to see a handheld... but it loses points for being on the Vita, which makes no sense since it's not like 3ds games lose points for being on a 3ds. ridiculous.

Pretty much. Vita games get compared to PS3/360 games while 3DS games get compared to 3DS games.

I guess it's Sony's fault for marketing it as a handheld as powerful as a console but I don't think that's what they intended.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#274 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

Tell us more. I love that game.

I like playing it while I'm playing it, but it's hard for me to play it when I'm not playing it. Also, when things go wrong, I get pissed. I played one MP game and got my ass handed to me but I should probably read the codex to learn more about the zombie types.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#275 n64ra

n64ra

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

Am I the only one who noticed that the Garfield LPB DLC was already released on January? Why the August re-release?

#276 breakfuss

breakfuss

Pam Oliver Sex Tape

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:58 PM

Perhaps the consistently tepid reviews have less to do with Polygon being a "shill for Microsoft" and more to do with the nature of the games. If you consider the exclusives in question, they share many of the same qualities, most notably high production value and refined mechanics. Where they seem to falter (at least in Polygon's view) are around questionable design choices and trite narratives. You might not agree with that rubric, but there's nothing conspiratorial about it. The 3DS's biggest release this year, Luigi's Mansion, was subjected to the same ridicule. The KZ review is not only consistent with complaints I've read in this very thread, but other professional reviews, lol. I'm still going to eventually buy it, but yeahhhh.

Currently Playing:

:ps4: Transistor

:wiiu: SOON...

Add Me:

Lastfm: breakfuss; 3DS: 1134-7633-5998

#277 Joker13z

Joker13z

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

I personally like Conan O'Brien's review scoring system better than anyone elses.

#278 The Dead Texan

The Dead Texan

Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

Dark Souls II beta testing registration is up for EU apparently. No word on NA yet

https://store.sonyen...E00010000000000

I really need to get in on this. I signed up using my EU PSN account. Crossing my fingers I get in at some point. 

#279 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

I know I'm gonna be made fun of for this, but because I am bored at work, I did some wannabe investigative journalism.

I went through Polygon's last 37 reviews and compared their scores to the Metacritic score for each game (the game had to have at least 20 reviews on Metacritic for me to count it).  There were 8 games where the Polygon score was 10 points or more below the average Metacritic score, 26 games where they were within a 10 point threshold one way or the other, and 3 games where they were 10 points or more above the Metacritic average.  Here are the 8 lower games:

MHnEwob.png

Just thought I'd share the info because I found it interesting.  4 of the top 6 are Sony exclusives, and one more was a timed Sony exclusive.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#280 vince_carter

vince_carter

what's a panini

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

I know I'm gonna be made fun of for this, but because I am bored at work, I did some wannabe investigative journalism.

I went through Polygon's last 37 reviews and compared their scores to the Metacritic score for each game (the game had to have at least 20 reviews on Metacritic for me to count it).  There were 8 games where the Polygon score was 10 points or more below the average Metacritic score, 26 games where they were within a 10 point threshold one way or the other, and 3 games where they were 10 points or more above the Metacritic average.  Here are the 8 lower games:

MHnEwob.png

Just thought I'd share the info because I found it interesting.  4 of the top 6 are Sony exclusives, and one more was a timed Sony exclusive.

people read hipstergon reviews?

Hand__Of__God.png

#281 The Dead Texan

The Dead Texan

Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

Polygon's review of Killer is Dead made me want to buy 10 copies of the game. 

#282 renique46

renique46

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

I seem to remember you and the words "click bait" awhile back where you refused to believe polygon, kotaku etc. would post anything true and required further proof when all it was was a video confirming a title was coming out that had the actual developer in it...or was that someone else?

And people can't click a link to see something and laugh about how retarded it is? I don't think I ever met someone more worried about clinking on a link for reasons other than it may be a virus in my life. This is of course if you're that same individual full of cheer and happiness. ;)

wrong person buddy

Pretty much. Vita games get compared to PS3/360 games while 3DS games get compared to 3DS games.

I guess it's Sony's fault for marketing it as a handheld as powerful as a console but I don't think that's what they intended.

Nailed it.

#283 ProfessorStotch

ProfessorStotch

The Undisputed CAG Champion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

MHnEwob.png

A 30 for Time and Eternity?! They have lost all credibility in my book. I'm playing it now and this game is a solid 9/10.

But seriously, this game isn't as bad as everyone made it seem. If you can just ignore the fact that the story (not that story matters in JRPGs!) is completely, incredibly stupid on so many levels, it's a pretty fun game. Talking baby dragons, FTW!

ProfessorStotch.png
Check out Captain's Crap Filled Store

Check out the shares I have for sale

My real name is Catfish!

#284 breakfuss

breakfuss

Pam Oliver Sex Tape

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

MHnEwob.png

Weak. What are we supposed to extrapolate from that? You used a sample of 8, all of which (coincidentally, of course  :wave: ) support your original theory. What about games like Remember Me with scores greater than the metacritic composite? How many of their scores don't deviate from the average? Again, this means very little.

A 30 for Time and Eternity?! They have lost all credibility in my book. 

The average is 42.

Currently Playing:

Add Me:

#285 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

Weak. What are we supposed to extrapolate from that? You used a sample of 8, all of which (coincidentally, of course  :wave: ) support your original theory. What about games like Remember Me with scores greater than the metacritic composite? How many of their scores don't deviate from the average? Again, this means very little.

Like I said, I reviewed their 37 most recent reviews.

Full data set here.  Certainly just a small sample size of their 250 or so reviews, but a much better sample size than just the 8 I posted.

Remember Me wasn't part of their most recent 37 reviews (though I'm sure I was getting close to it).  I stopped at 37 because 37 was The Last of Us.  That part was a total bias on my part, but it doesn't mean I can't keep going and do more.  Ni No Kuni is still further down the line and I know that's another one that follows this trend.

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#286 WNYX585AM

WNYX585AM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

Full data set here.  Certainly just a small sample size of their 250 or so reviews, but a much better sample size than just the 8 I posted.

Remember Me wasn't part of their most recent 37 reviews (though I'm sure I was getting close to it).  I stopped at 37 because 37 was The Last of Us.  That part was a total bias on my part, but it doesn't mean I can't keep going and do more.  Ni No Kuni is still further down the line and I know that's another one that follows this trend.

It's an interesting data set for the 37 you used.  The trend of lower scores for Playstation is not the only thing that stands out.  A seemingly unusual amount of AAA games that got universally low scores did above the metacritic average.  I am looking at The Bureau, Lost Planet 3, and Remember Me (not listed).  It seems odd that they would be more forgiving on those games but then have so many Playstation titles that they are less forgiving on.  None of this data is conclusive enough, but it is interesting.  I'm sure that if you look at most review sites, the numbers will show some sort of anomaly, but Polygon seems to have a good amount of smoke for there not to be some sort of fire.

#287 Joker13z

Joker13z

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

wrong person buddy

Damnit I just scoured through my posts and it was another guy. And I was looking forward to hearing him spew hatred for kotaku and polygon again. Would have been entertaining. :(

#288 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

It's an interesting data set for the 37 you used.  The trend of lower scores for Playstation is not the only thing that stands out.  A seemingly unusual amount of AAA games that got universally low scores did above the metacritic average.  I am looking at The Bureau, Lost Planet 3, and Remember Me (not listed).  It seems odd that they would be more forgiving on those games but then have so many Playstation titles that they are less forgiving on.  None of this data is conclusive enough, but it is interesting.  I'm sure that if you look at most review sites, the numbers will show some sort of anomaly, but Polygon seems to have a good amount of smoke for there not to be some sort of fire.

Yeah, I only posted it because it's interesting.  Certainly not definitive, and I don't want anyone to think that I'm saying it is.  But many people on varying websites noticed a trend of lower scoring Sony games after the Dragon's Crown review came out, and now the Killzone score continues the trend.  When a trend like that is easily visible to the naked eye, I think it's worth a deeper look. 

Plus stats/numbers/trends/analysis are kind of my thing, so I actually have fun making spreadsheets like these.  There's another one in my signature about sales on XBLA games that took a couple hours to put together but has been rather useful.

• SJD likes this

#289 snakeybro

snakeybro

#Team 60 FPS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

I beat Killer Is Dead and it pretty much sucks, worst Suda 51 game so far. Lost Planet 3 is ok, its a solid sci-fi shooter with a decent storyline and its pretty long too.  I kinda liked The Bureau, not a bad game, just pretty average.

Currently Playing:   :ps4: EA UFC, Crimsonland, Rogue Legacy, Last of Us Remastered, The Swapper, Zen Pinball 2,

Pure Pool   :wiiu: Mario Kart 8, Shovel Knight, Splinter Cell: Blacklist   :xb1: EA UFC,Titanfall, Crimson Dragon,

:ps3: Abyss Odyssey 

solidSNAKE231989.png

20140611-40611011-4gamer-003-1-thumb.jpg

#290 breakfuss

breakfuss

Pam Oliver Sex Tape

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

My bad. 37, then. Still way too small of a sample to draw any conclusions. I'm not seeing the Sony bias. With all the reviews compiled, maybe we can draw some sort of conclusion about how they treat Japanese games, or AAA games or franchise games. Who knows -- maybe something is there. As of now, nothing supports that claim, and certainly nothing supports the notion that it's deliberate.

I am looking at The Bureau, Lost Planet 3, and Remember Me (not listed).  It seems odd that they would be more forgiving on those games but then have so many Playstation titles that they are less forgiving on.  

The Bureau and Lost Planet 3 pretty much fall within the average, though.

Currently Playing:

Add Me:

#291 WNYX585AM

WNYX585AM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

The Bureau and Lost Planet 3 pretty much fall within the average, though.

The point was that if Polygon is going to be harsh on Sony games why not be just as harsh on other non-Sony games - especially games that are bigger titles that are generally reviewed poorly and get more attention. 

Again, these numbers are far from conclusive, but they are interesting.  Also, to be fair, Polygon may have a good reason for being above average on those particular games.

#292 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:34 PM

Maybe Polygon is like the gamers here who think the great games suck and the crappy games are worth playing.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#293 EldritchOnRye

EldritchOnRye

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:57 PM

Maybe Polygon is like the gamers here who think the great games suck and the crappy games are worth playing.

But the crappy ones have more trophies!

3ds120.gif Picross 3D hot!68.gif   :pc: Shadowrun Returns :-?   :wiiu: Mario Kart 8 :hot: Wind Waker HD

Finished Games - Recently Completed: :ps4: MLB 14 The Show 33w7311.png
EldritchOnRye.pngCinnabarSin.png

Trade List - H: MK8 Promo Game Choice

#294 SgtWiggles

SgtWiggles

Artist formally known as dgwillia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:37 AM

Just got an email saying you can receive a 5$ SEN/PSN Credit for signing up to the free trial of music unlimited?

Just curious, can you just instantly cancel it like you would PS+'s auto renewal or something? Or is it more complicated

Posted ImagePosted Image

#295 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:00 AM

Just got an email saying you can receive a 5$ SEN/PSN Credit for signing up to the free trial of music unlimited?

Just curious, can you just instantly cancel it like you would PS+'s auto renewal or something? Or is it more complicated

I did it a while back and IIRC it's handled in exactly the same way as PS+, so yeah that should be how it is unless they changed it recently.

Let me tell you two useful pieces of information...

#296 Rahxephon

Rahxephon

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:48 AM

Random question:  has anyone seen Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky go on sale on PSN ?  Just wondering if picking it up for $20 would be a resonable move.

#297 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:52 AM

Random question:  has anyone seen Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky go on sale on PSN ?  Just wondering if picking it up for $20 would be a resonable move.

http://www.cheapassg...dpost&p=9156464

That's it.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#298 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

Cubs Fan Too :(

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:00 AM

I think it has been cheaper, but it is WELL worth $20.

GS Feedback Sheet/Thread

https://docs.google....NWc&usp=sharing

MattNY.png

#299 FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Late Adopter (2016, baby!)

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:53 AM

Okami HD is definitely on my want list. Hopefully we see a sale on it eventually or get it on PS+.

I think it's almost a year since it released, so hopefully it'll be on sale around that time. If not then, yeah, PS+ would be sweet. :bouncy:

402833.png FinderKeeperOSX.png

#300 Tacosss

Tacosss

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:08 AM

any idea when a mass effect 3 dlc sale might come? There's $50 of dlc I want.