Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch $19.99 or Pre-owned $17.99 @ Best Buy ; $20 at Amazon

JRPGs are pretty primitive.
I assume you are using "primitive" as an adjective that means "of or relating to the earliest age or period", which implies that it is regressed in terms of story, gameplay and/or graphics.

And I totally disagree.

This is a good price if you haven't bought it last time at $19.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this game any good? JRPGs are pretty primitive, which is why I haven't really bought many since PS1/GBA.
i know what you mean, i consider most big budget western snore fests like Call of Duty and Gears of War uber primitive as well. Same old game over and over, it gets so old so fast.

This game is okay if you like JRPG's. it's probably worth this price. To be fair parts of the story has some cliche elements to it, it borrows heavily from Pokemon and other games rather than being unique, and the acting is absolutely horrible at times.

For a JRPG it's just "okay". I feel like the JRPG fans here have lost perspective, maybe because of the Ghibili link or maybe because the generation has been so bad for JRPG's.

This just reminds how seriously jacked up my backlog is. I bought this game new for $20 new a little while ago and it's still in the shrinkwrap. :(

But from what I've seen, it does seem something that is right down my alley, so I had to jump on it for when I do get around to it. I too love Studio Ghibli, as another poster mentioned.

The demo should be on PSN to try it out IIRC.

This just reminds how seriously jacked up my backlog is. I bought this game new for $20 new a little while ago and it's still in the shrinkwrap. :(

But from what I've seen, it does seem something that is right down my alley, so I had to jump on it for when I do get around to it. I too love Studio Ghibli, as another poster mentioned.

The demo should be on PSN to try it out IIRC.
nice username/avatar

I'm glad to see prices stating to fall on this one to affordable ranges.  Great find, HTZ!

One of those few games where it feels like it's worth the full price entirely, if your not that big into JRPG's then this is a great start. If you remember and remotely like any Studio Ghibi film this is worth your time. Bought this last time Best Buy had it on sale for $20 and it was a great purchase.

So is the game more like Pokemon? Am I catching a bunch of monsters to use in battle? Or is it like Dragon Warrior VIII, whereas it's a standard fare RPG?

Thanks OP -- price matched at Target and used 30% off coupon to get it for 13.99 (along with Lego Lord of the Rings : ' )

FYI - Amazons website comes up at $34.99 b/c its a 3rd party. Amazon does have it for $19.99 as an option b/c its a 1 to 3 week wait. 

I snagged it from BB and I am liking it a lot so far. My kids love Ghibli movies and have enjoyed watching me play. Well worth $20.

This title is excellent and I highly recommend it for anyone who is a Ghiblii fan, a Pokemon fan, or who just likes beautiful animation in a fantasy world.  Although it is predictable story wise the combat and monster raising aspects kept battles enjoyable enough for me that I wanted to go on. Just exploring the scenery in the world that was created for this is worth the $20.  Also, if you have small children, it is completely appropriate for them to watch and/or play with you.  This is something that is hard to find in this day and age when I have to limit my gaming in front of my 3 yo because of the many overly violent games.

On another note, I wouldn't be expecting a typical "JRPG" experience from this, just as I wouldn't classify Pokemon as a JRPG.  Definitely don't go into it expecting something FF, DQ, or Tales-like.

So is the game more like Pokemon? Am I catching a bunch of monsters to use in battle? Or is it like Dragon Warrior VIII, whereas it's a standard fare RPG?
It is kinda a combination of both. I've heard a lot from people who have played DW VIII that it feels a lot like a tribute to that game, but you are also collecting familiars which will do battle for you and you can switch between yourself and your familiars during a battle.

Personally, despite some flaws, I thought it was a really good game. Plot is pretty cliche, but the world has a lot of charm and it was a really enjoyable experience. I also think it is a good starting point for someone not familiar with JRPGs. I recommend it.

It's sounds like you don't like JRPGs, so you probably won't like this.
Going through lists of stuff to do turn based battle is primitive in my opinion. Even if they made turn based exciting/fun they can't figure a better way to do it then going through listing after listing of items and spells to find the exact item with modern control schemes?

They should take a page from Batman Arkham games. I can access his whole arsenal/utility belt on the fly when I'm kicking ass in a group of 7-12 thugs. You can't tell me a wizard can't access their whole spell book without boring lists and lists of stuff. JRPG devs can't get more creative?

I think the biggest contribution to video games this gen has been western developers contribution to a better GUI for the gamer. I think that alone has exploded this gen with action games.

bread's done
Back