Looking to finally get a 3DS

taylynne

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Seeing as Pokemon is coming to the 3DS, I think it's about time I've picked one up.  Animal Crossing has been talked about a lot and has also made me want to buy one. 

So, I'm wondering if there are any good deals out there, or if I should wait for a while (I don't have all of the money for it currently anyway), or even buy a used one on eBay?  

Last edited by a moderator:
I might have to! Though I like animal crossing's 3DS more, but I would think I'll see the pokemon XL on sale around the release.  The funky pikachu 3ds was on sale at TRU before it was released I believe.

i'm also getting excited to get a 3ds finally... i literally played through hundreds of amazing quality DS games... and been waiting for enough good games to come out on the 3ds...

Why not get a 2DS? If you don't mind that it doesn't  fold, it's a good option. The 3D effect adds nothing to the experience.

Check out cowboom.com and if you see anything with a rating of 6 or higher that DOESN'T have any screen scratches, and it'd cost less than $165 shipped, go for it. I got mine for $140 with tax back in January thanks to the Best Buy Mastercard thing, and honestly even in auctions it's difficult to get it for anything below $170.

i'm also getting excited to get a 3ds finally... i literally played through hundreds of amazing quality DS games... and been waiting for enough good games to come out on the 3ds...
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. Not that there aren't any good quality games for the 3ds, it's just there hasn't been any one game I wanted enough to buy one (or enough games that I'd like to get to make it worthwhile).

Why not get a 2DS? If you don't mind that it doesn't fold, it's a good option. The 3D effect adds nothing to the experience.
Aesthetically, I really dislike it. I doubt I'll ever use much of the 3D, but the 2DS price difference as well as design (thick on top? think bottom would be better: easier to hold?) just keeps me away. I would like the folding anyway, makes it easier to stuff in a bag without taking too much space!

Check out cowboom.com and if you see anything with a rating of 6 or higher that DOESN'T have any screen scratches, and it'd cost less than $165 shipped, go for it. I got mine for $140 with tax back in January thanks to the Best Buy Mastercard thing, and honestly even in auctions it's difficult to get it for anything below $170.
I'm checking this out right now! Never heard of the site so definitely thank you for the heads up and tips. I think if the auctions run close enough to the price of a new one I'll opt for a new 3ds... sometimes the difference (~5$ or so) isn't worth dealing with a used one!

cowboom is awesome... the auctions are not the best deal though...

the best thing to do... make nintendo page on it your home page... (2nd tab maybe)

and just stalk the hell out of that page... just randomly check the page, you can get a really good deal...

click the item, it takes you to the item page... then click "more images"..... and you can see pictures of that item (if there are any, sometimes there are, sometimes not.)

be sure to read the description... cowboom has said "some scratches" on items that turned out to not have any scratches... (guess it depends on who is working and listing the item, some people just might say there are scratches just incase... because they don't want to fully inspect the item)

also.. here is the CAG cowboom thead.

and a nice quote you might like..

I was able to order a blue/black 3DS XL during the flash sale on the 9th for $89.99. Condition was 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Target had the 3ds at 129.99 at around November last year.  The lowest I've seen for an XL would be $179.99.  I would wait until closer to Thanksgiving/BF/Christmas, that's usually when sales/bundles are hot.

I'm too looking for a deal as I want that Pokemon 3dsxl. Looks like there are no deals at all to be had. Shoot, atleast give me a $5 coupon.

I'm now in the market for one as well. I really like the Animal Crossing XL, but I'm not shelling out for that.

Will probably wait for a good gift card deal or promo closer to the holidays.

I should have traded my DSI while it was worth something. Though I still see them on Craigslist for a fair price more than trade value.

I'm now in the market for one as well. I really like the Animal Crossing XL, but I'm not shelling out for that.
Same, I've seen people playing with that one and it looks really nice but when I looked it up, the price is much too ridiculous for me!

If I can get a 3ds 130 (or less..) that'd be great! I'm hoping the gov. will be back up and running by black friday because the military exchange may have some nice deals and I have a 5$ coupon off of any purchase, with any discount, no questions asked (plus no tax), so it may end up being the best deal for me...

I really don't care if it is XL or not; I don't think I'll be away from an outlet for so long that the shoddier battery life on the normal 3DS will really affect me.

Refurbished 3DS models are now cheaper at Nintendo's website. They're like $110 for the regular models (Red, Blue, and Purple). They come with a 1 year warranty.

Refurbished 3DS models are now cheaper at Nintendo's website. They're like $110 for the regular models (Red, Blue, and Purple). They come with a 1 year warranty.
I didn't even know they sold refurb... that's really good to know thank you! I may be able to get one sooner...

I'm hoping the gov. will be back up and running by black friday because the military exchange may have some nice deals and I have a 5$ coupon off of any purchase, with any discount, no questions asked (plus no tax), so it may end up being the best deal for me...
BX is sick for system purchases, I always try to buy high tax items there because of that. Sadly, though, I am no longer a dependent due to age (my dad's Coast Guard) so I need one of my parents to come with me to buy something.

So, [sorry to highjack your thread, by the way, but] I'm actually looking into getting a 3DS as well, but my situation is a little different: I have tons of money, but no goddamn time. I'm backlogged up the wazoo with Steam games, Wii games, a couple of PS3 games, and a few more Vita games. I really don't have a need to buy a 3DS, but I would like to have one just because. I've been looking at some deals, and seemingly, the best price for new right now is $150 for the regular, $180 for the XL (assuming BB will match Frys, which I'm sure it will). Also, it seems like I'm going to have to start taking public transportation to work on Tuesday, for at least a few months. Don't know if, because of that, I'd like a cheaper, regular 3DS or an XL. I live in Salt Lake City, it's not really a dangerous place or anything, but you never know. I've messed around with the XL and I love it, it has a great feel to it. I haven't tried the 3DS regular, but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on it? Or even for the 2DS, which doesn't really appeal to me, but I'll consider it if anyone has a compelling argument.

TL;DR: which 3DS should I get and are there any better deals around right now?

If you're backlogged and don't think you'll play it much, perhaps wait until black friday for good deals?

As for which is better, I think that depends on you.  The XL has better battery power, it is larger (of course), the color scheme is different (color+black), and they have a matte feel to them.  The 3DS would be more portable for bus trips, but if you're carrying a briefcase/bag of sorts you'll be able to fit either in there I'm sure.  

Also, like mask-air-raid said, nintendo sells refurb for pretty cheap!  Plus the 1 year warranty...  3DS is 110, and 3DS XL is 169 (or 179 for one with 16 sd card).  Their shipping starts at 5$ and, at least in Texas, they add tax.  https://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=70706

bread's done
Back