Photo
* * * * - 27 votes

The RetroN 5 in-stock tracking thread/deals thread. Currently sold out everywhere.

• Please log in to reply
2464 replies to this topic

#31 jrr6415sun

jrr6415sun

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

Double post. Any PC you bought since 2006 will emulate these games better than this box and offer better visual options, basically.

and you can use your original carts on the PC?

#32 McCHitman

McCHitman

Reigning Champ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

I don't like the look but I'm interested in it.

As for the naysayers, why complain and fight it? If you don't like it, don't get it. You shouldn't even post, it's not like you're going to convince the ones that do want it, not to get it. It's just you spreading negativity.

It's a great solution for people that don't pirate games via a thousand roms. Maybe we have old carts that we wanna play, without dragging out every system every time. With this, I can keep my legacy stuff on display, and still play all my games.

dCPOFIZ.jpg

[twitter]McCHitman[/twitter]

#33 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

There are devices at stoneagegamer.com (at least) that lets you play your actual carts on pc.  At $100, it is an emulation machine for those who want to use their original games but at the Ouya pricepoint. I don't know where people are saying they can buy all five consoles for less than $100, unless they get some pretty nasty ratty ones out of the garbage bin.  If the Vita TV comes out here at the same time, I don't know which to choose.

Batsugunner.png

#34 Sludgepond

Sludgepond

The Trigger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

In for one. I have a feeling these are going to be hard to get a hold of right aways. I have black and grey. Need to decide which color I want now. I'm thinking the grey ..

#35 LoveAndBeer

LoveAndBeer

AKA: jstew9

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

I insta-ordered a black console as soon as I saw they were available... but now I'm second guessing and pondering picking up the grey.  

Very cool looking device though, hopefully it really does come out a month before the new consoles steal all my free time.

The battle's done, and we kind of won, so we sound our victory cheer

#36 Stryffe2004

Stryffe2004

Overlord of the Obvious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

I don't like the look but I'm interested in it.

As for the naysayers, why complain and fight it? If you don't like it, don't get it. You shouldn't even post, it's not like you're going to convince the ones that do want it, not to get it. It's just you spreading negativity.

It's a great solution for people that don't pirate games via a thousand roms. Maybe we have old carts that we wanna play, without dragging out every system every time. With this, I can keep my legacy stuff on display, and still play all my games.

Exactly.  Plus, I don't have a PC hooked up to my TV.  With something like this, I can throw my Genesis carts in and play on my TV.

Posted Image

#37 mathyou

mathyou

Fart berries

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

Perfect timing - I've just started looking for original SNES and NES consoles, and wondering g where to put them. This is the perfect option for me, with a million added perks (handheld games? Yes!). Thanks, OP

#38 Gameboy415

Gameboy415

16-bits of awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

FINALLY!!!

I went ahead and pre-ordered one of each color - can't wait! :D

Posted Image

#39 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

This is really awesome. Finally plugging those carts into a all-in-one system with HDMI out. Can't get any better.

#40 BigBizzee

BigBizzee

I feel asleep....

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

I'm pretty torn on this...it's seriously an awesome machine, but I don't have that many old carts lying around anymore and I have some Emu's on my Ouya that do all of this and more.

BUT - and this might be the biggest reason for me to get one - the Ouya controller lag almost kills some games. It's just a tiny split second lag, but it changes the way some games are played. I'm pretty certain the Retron 5 won't have this problem, but for $100 more? I already spent that money on various systems that play Emu's (combine with my small library of cartridges, the $100 for a Retron 5 doesn't seem smart for me)...

BUT IT LOOKS SO AWESOME. GRRRR

#41 Green Card200

Green Card200

The Time Mage

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

I'm going to keep my eye on this. I dropped a $100 for NeoGeoX  so I'm no stranger to spending $100 on things I'll never use. I'd probably just go for it if I didn't have the Vita TV preordered but I think its best to wait as I've never heard of this before.

Currently Playing - :3ds:  Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan

Recently Completed -   :pc: F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn 7/12   :pc: Divinity II: Ego Draconis 7/23  :pc: Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut 8/12

#42 Jackovasaurus

Jackovasaurus

And ya say Chi-City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

Where can you even find carts anymore on the cheap? Chrono Trigger is damn near $100 on ebay!

Posted Image

#43 yokofox33

yokofox33

House Stark

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

I'd jump all over this if I had a bunch of NES and SNES games lying around, but I don't. This would be at least a 200-300 dollar investment to get the system and the games I want from Ebay.

3DS Friend Code: 1461-6213-9792

Animal Crossing Trade List (will update frequently)

#44 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

Preordered! Thanks Cheapy!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#45 whodoneit

whodoneit

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

wow this actually looks cool. ill stick to the emulators on my wii though.

#46 Jackovasaurus

Jackovasaurus

And ya say Chi-City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

wow this actually looks cool. ill stick to the emulators on my wii though.

piracy talk is a no no round here,  partner.

Posted Image

#47 whodoneit

whodoneit

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

piracy talk is a no no round here,  partner.

oh ok

#48 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

What kind of a production run are they doing for this thing? I definitely want to buy one, but would just rather wait until I'm finished moving after Thanksgiving.

#49 Kaneco

Kaneco

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

Pre-ordered the Grey!

Can't wait for the N64 patent/license to expire in two or three years! It's one of the systems that could really use the upscale and perfect compatibility with all games! :D

#50 Camwi

Camwi

Can I be a sasquatch too?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

Where can you even find carts anymore on the cheap? Chrono Trigger is damn near $100 on ebay!

Yard sales are your only hope.

#51 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

Interesting.

I own all the systems this thing emulates...so I have 100's of carts, too. 

Actually pretty tempted in this, since I have a "free slot" in my entertainment center.  Something about playing this over an emulator on the computer appeals to me.  The only real reason I wouldn't drag out the old consoles individually is that it just requires too much space (while I live in an apartment).

Definitely gonna wait on reviews before getting one.  But, that gray one looks awesome!

#52 mantis23

mantis23

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

I need to wait and see the reviews on this thing. The only way I'd bite is if they had a decent wireless controller that doesnt require a perfect line of sight. My TV is too far away from the receiver for me to use wired controllers and the wireless controllers on the retron 3 were all but useless, They used IR for wireless so you had to stay pretty close and hold them perfectly straight for anything to register.

#53 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

This interests me quite a bit as I have lots of old NES, Genesis, super nes, and gameboy cartridges, will have to think on this, as that anytime save state is very appealing.

This controller uses blutooth so the range should be pretty extensive.

Edited by guardian_owl, 12 September 2013 - 03:13 PM.

Guardian_owl.png

#54 McCHitman

McCHitman

Reigning Champ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

I think I'm gonna wait for reviews. I want to know what the sound and video is like before plunking down money.

Also, will running this on a HDMI HDTV cause input lag? I hooked my NES up once to my HDTV and it was unplayable, went right back to the CRT.

dCPOFIZ.jpg

[twitter]McCHitman[/twitter]

#55 Kaneco

Kaneco

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

I need to wait and see the reviews on this thing. The only way I'd bite is if they had a decent wireless controller that doesnt require a perfect line of sight. My TV is too far away from the receiver for me to use wired controllers and the wireless controllers on the retron 3 were all but useless, They used IR for wireless so you had to stay pretty close and hold them perfectly straight for anything to register.

They are said to be sporting Bluetooth technology, so expect it to work like a Wiimote or a Dualshock 3. :P

#56 Kaneco

Kaneco

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

I think I'm gonna wait for reviews. I want to know what the sound and video is like before plunking down money.

Also, will running this on a HDMI HDTV cause input lag? I hooked my NES up once to my HDTV and it was unplayable, went right back to the CRT.

There shouldn't be any video/input lag, since there's no convertion being done through HDMI, all signals would be Digital....can't say the same if you try do downscale/Downconvert the HDMI signal to Analog and play it on a CRT TV, though. :P

#57 shivan128

shivan128

CAG at heart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

The biggest I have with this is how the visual quality will stand out on LCD/LED/Plasma TV's.  I have only one CRT left in the house to play retro consoles.  If this thing can do a good job upscaling, I will bite.  Will take the "wait and see" approach as others have said and see what the consensus is on them.  I dont think they're going to be limited numbers of these things down the road and I'll just keep using my older tv to play nes games for now.  I would gladly pay $100 to consolidate the 8/16 bit consoles into one unit.

edaa9c273976.png

My tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=301364

Currently Playing:  :vita: Dragon Fantasy book 2, :3ds: Link's Awakening, :360: DDP SDOJ, :ps3: Rocksmith 2014, :ps4: Dynasty Warriors 8

#58 Number83

Number83

¡oɹq 'ʎɹoʇs ןooɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

There's just one thing holding me back from getting this...No Sega Master System cart slot.  Unless I am missing something. 

550797.png

signature-bar-white.gif

Grammar: The difference between knowing your sh*t and knowing you're sh*t.

#59 mikespit1

mikespit1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

So what do they mean by "Hardware emulation"? Is this just an android device loaded up with SNES 9X or whatever or did Hyperkin actually find a way to reproduce an approximation of the legacy hardware? For good enough emulation I have my PC or the virtual console on Wii, but if this thing is super accurate like BSNES and the like I will grab one. 

#60 therealdeal19

therealdeal19

GIANT ENEMY CRABS!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

I have been waiting for this since they announced it. Pre-ordered the grey one and can't wait!!!

516078.png
TheHolyPickle.jpg