CAGcast #336: Fine Feathered Friends

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
NHL 14, Puppeteer, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Diablo III, Vita TV, and oh so much more! 
Download (1 hour 25 minutes) - iTunes -
https://soundcloud.com/cheapyd/cagcast-336-fine-feathered

GoDaddy Web Hosting & Domain Registration Coupon Codes!
Get a $2.49 GoDaddy domain registration with code CAG249
32% off for all customers with code 32off1
$4 .com registration with 1 year privacy with code FREE9

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro: Release - Chris Lake - Outro

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

CheapyD talks Robocop on Twitch.tv:
http://www.twitch.tv/cheapassgamer/c/2884080

Last edited by a moderator:
Great show as always cheapy. Also would be interested in a Volgarr the Viking code. Happy Belated birthday as well.

The testicle bit had me busting out laughing.

I actually like the idea of the PSVita TV, especially with the remote play options. Now I don't need two PS4s I can just have one in the living room and then when I want to play some PS4 in my room on my TV there you go. Right now I have two PS3s for that very reason. It's simple math really $400 > $100.

Granted that is assuming the remote play works properly. Again I like the idea, as for the implementation I'll have to wait and see.

Episodes with feather covered tesicles are the best. I hope Shipwreck sticks with Amnesia and Cheapy streams it, should be great to hear/watch on the next show!

I'd love a Volgarr The Viking code if any are left.

If only they would just release an hdmi-out cable for the Vita...

With the future addition (or at least, promise) of 100% remote play with the PS4, you could take your Vita, hdmi cord, and maybe a dualshock with you on a trip and have your PS4 in your room, wherever you go. Why they won't just do this I can't understand. Is it because they can't? -I doubt it. Also, why do they keep making so many bad (or unnecessary) decisions like Vita TV? Sony just keeps the disappointment coming.

I'm surprised the 3 of you haven't realized what the Vita TV actually is. It's Sony's version of the Game Boy Player (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Player). The only difference is that instead of plugging into your console, it's separate and includes more functionality than just playing handheld games.

Also remote play could come in handy for kids. For example, your PS4 is plugged into your TV in your living room and you're entertaining guests. Your kid wants to play a game, but can't while you're occupied. So they go into another room with another TV and plays using the Vita TV. Granted, it does depend on how well remote play is implemented.

Just to let Cheapy know, you don't have to constantly click in Diablo 3. All you need to do to attack is just hold down the mouse over the enemies and your guy automatically attacks. I found this out recently since I started playing it. Though I do have to say I downloaded the 360 demo just to see how the control scheme was and I did like it better. I remember playing Diablo for PSX back in the day and even that felt more "fun" with its control scheme even though it wasn't perfect. I do hope they add controller support for the PC version though.

But anyways just fyi because I was so used to Diablo 2 and 1 that I had been clicking like crazy in Diablo 3 until someone told me I don't need to be doing that and just hold the cursor over the enemies, etc. Saved my fingers.

You're right, there's really not much to Gone Home except for the story which was why I had to point out the spoiler warning to others. It was for your sake, Cheapy! No need to receive unnecessary complaints, amirite.

Thank you for going out of your way to tweet out a spoiler warning to your followers as well. I saw it. :)

If only they would just release an hdmi-out cable for the Vita...

With the future addition (or at least, promise) of 100% remote play with the PS4, you could take your Vita, hdmi cord, and maybe a dualshock with you on a trip and have your PS4 in your room, wherever you go. Why they won't just do this I can't understand. Is it because they can't? -I doubt it. Also, why do they keep making so many bad (or unnecessary) decisions like Vita TV? Sony just keeps the disappointment coming.
If you really want to play Vita games on your TV, then a $100 VitaTV is a pretty cheap solution, and much better than having to have your Vita tethered to a TV by an HDMI cord.

What are these other bad decisions that Sony has made recently?

That everyone's knocking each other over these days to be the first to naysay something about a game still in its embryonic state is starting to really burn me out on gaming sites as a whole.

I'm actually the one-in-a-million person who's kinda interested in the Vita TV, though.  I'm effectively anchored to the town where my job is, so I'm not in the market for a portable system at all, let alone one where most of the games that appeal to me have a PS3 counterpart.  At a hundred bucks, I'm all for taking a spin on that narrow compatibility list.  Looking at it from a business perspective, though, it really is a stupid goddamn idea.  Sony couldn't be bothered to at least have the thing use non-proprietary storage?

All gaming industry frustrations aside, the testicles bit cracked me up.

From a business perspective, it's going to be very cheap to make, has already sold out on Amazon Japan, and will only increase Vita market share there.  It may not sell very well in the West assuming it gets released here eventually, but that doesn't mean it was a stupid idea.

Wow seems like somebody pissed a little in Cheapy's cereal and a lot in Wombat's cereal before this episode was recorded.

Going back 2 episodes when they were talking about Castle of Illusion not being on PC, funny thing is that it is on PC.

About NHL 14, there aren't many major back of the box features aside from the '94 anniversary mode. But that usually is a good thing, you want them to be working on tweaking what they already made to make it better instead of making features that will end up being ripped out in a year or two. The biggest improvements outside of the on ice refinements (which seem like small things but make a big difference to the game overall IMO) are GM Connected Mode (Online Seasons) being way more usable, and the Be a Pro mode is much more fleshed out. Also, the new fighting engine plays a huge role in the Be a Pro mode. When my team is playing like shit, I'm compelled to fight to try to spark my team. And the game notices that and comments on it in the coach feedback. I also don't associate those types of fights with the players who get severe brain injuries-- those players can't play hockey and all they do is fight. 

edit: also I'm wondering what Hospitality level did you set the game to Cheapy? I'm hearing a ton about hits that are way too big and too many fights, but I don't see that while playing on All-Star mode with Hardcore Realism settings.

And no, there aren't 4 people working on the game. I think they have a team of about 70 people? Which is probably a lot less than Madden or FIFA. Maybe *some* are working on the next-gen version but I doubt it was more than a few people. Really, you'd rather have them do a conservative game like this than try to add in dumb modes like they have in the past like the heartbeat breakaway cam, or trading cards that unlock cheats.

Also Cheapy, check out the press row podcast, 2 of the last 3 or 4 episodes have interviews with the NHL 14 team and they talk about what they changed and stuff:
http://operationsportspressrow.libsyn.com/operation-sports-press-row-podcast-episode-38-nhl-14-dev-team-deep-dive-part-1
http://operationsportspressrow.libsyn.com/operation-sports-press-row-podcast-episode-42-nhl-14-dev-team-deep-dive-part-2

Also a super interesting episode from them is one where they had a guy who worked on Madden for a decade and was also the producer on Madden for 3 years. He talks about how hard it is to make sports games, and talks about the dilemma between back of the box features or real improvements to gameplay:
http://operationsportspressrow.libsyn.com/operation-sports-press-row-podcast-episode-41-madden-nfl-25-from-the-outside-with-gus-ramsey-and-ian-cummings

About the Vita Screen, I feel like theres just this massive Plasma/OLED defense force on the internet who praise these screen technologies, but in the meantime they haven't realized LCD technology has just gotten better and better. And while Plasma & OLED have burn in problems (yes there are people with Vitas who have fucking burn in), LCD has none of that. So, no, its not a shitty Vita.

Vita TV-- I had to stop before this conversation even finished because I felt it was so off. Wombat was complaining "why don't developers make these games for PS3" but the whole point of the Vita TV is that its only $100. Now mind you, it's not perfect because you really want that $100 to include a controller as well. But this is totally a pre-emptive strike against Apple TV adding games to their system. And this also is trying to attract people who wouldn't spend $200+ on a games console, but might be willing to drop $99 on one. Plus, the games here are going to be budget priced and closer to the iPad price model for games, which casual gamers are used to.

From a business perspective, it's going to be very cheap to make, has already sold out on Amazon Japan, and will only increase Vita market share there. It may not sell very well in the West assuming it gets released here eventually, but that doesn't mean it was a stupid idea.
You're getting released here eventually. I didn't know Japan was already eating it up, fair enough.

Ship is right on with the Vita TV. Why would someone spend $150 ($100 version doesn't have a controller or enough memory to matter) to play handheld games when they can spend $200 for a PS3 and play games that are meant for a TV? 

Remote play from a PS4 is the only worthwhile feature that I can see. And why can a Vita handle a remote PS4 stream but the PS3 can't? Seem's like an arbitrary decision by Sony to try and sell a couple Vitas.

Vita TV-- I had to stop before this conversation even finished because I felt it was so off. Wombat was complaining "why don't developers make these games for PS3" but the whole point of the Vita TV is that its only $100. Now mind you, it's not perfect because you really want that $100 to include a controller as well. But this is totally a pre-emptive strike against Apple TV adding games to their system. And this also is trying to attract people who wouldn't spend $200+ on a games console, but might be willing to drop $99 on one. Plus, the games here are going to be budget priced and closer to the iPad price model for games, which casual gamers are used to.
You can't play any games for 100 dollars. You need a controller plus storage. You are telling me that someone who doesn't already own a PS3 would consider buying the Vita TV instead to save 50 bucks?

CAG #336

8:30 Show feedback
8:30 - Gone Home
9:45 - PC stuff, Nvidia Shield
11:30 - Grape is superior. Skittleology
14:00 Watch This: Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie
16:15 - Moonrise Kingdom
16:30 Cheapy hits 40
18:45 New Releases
18:45 - Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunters HD
19:00 - NHL 14
24:30 - Puppeteer
29:30 - Dragoon Fantasy Book II
30:45 - Duck Tales Remastered
31:15 Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
34:00 Volgarr the Viking
36:00 Diablo III
36:15 Bittrip Collection
44:00 Splinter Cell: Blacklist
46:45 Vita Redesign & Vita tv
1:03:30 Microsoft announces XB1 games to be shown at TGS
1:05:30 New iphones
1:08:30 Cagbag
1:09:15 - State of the digital transition
1:11:30 - Buying a Vita tv
1:16:15 GTA V releases next week
1:17:00 Metal Gear character - Quiet
1:21:30 PS4 Japanese release delayed

About the Vita Screen, I feel like theres just this massive Plasma/OLED defense force on the internet who praise these screen technologies, but in the meantime they haven't realized LCD technology has just gotten better and better. And while Plasma & OLED have burn in problems (yes there are people with Vitas who have fucking burn in), LCD has none of that. So, no, its not a shitty Vita.
Well from screenshots and people who have compared them in person, the LCD screen is much less saturated and washed out. So unless devs start compensation for the color balance of the LCD, I'd say its definitely inferior.

I love Tim and Eric, but I gotta agree, the movie just didn't do as much as I thought it would :( 

Would love a Volgarr the Viking code :D

Well from screenshots and people who have compared them in person, the LCD screen is much less saturated and washed out. So unless devs start compensation for the color balance of the LCD, I'd say its definitely inferior.
You can't compare screens like that. There are so many factors which make screens look weird in those type of comparisons. The best way is to see it in person.

Also, just because a screen is much less saturated (even if thats true) doesn't mean its bad. Most TVs at Best Buy have their saturation cranked all the way up to look good to the untrained eye in side to side comparisons of videos of flowers, but cranking up the saturation like that makes most things look like shit. What you really want is color accuracy, and comparing the OLED next to an LCD in a photo is not the way to figure that out.

You can't play any games for 100 dollars. You need a controller plus storage. You are telling me that someone who doesn't already own a PS3 would consider buying the Vita TV instead to save 50 bucks?
There are people out there who will get a shitty phone for "free" despite the fact its still tied to a 2-year contract worth $1200-$1500. People like cheap up front costs no matter how nonsensical it can be.

Ultimately they need to figure out a way for this to include a controller and maybe support other methods of storage (such as a USB drive) and still be at the price of $99 for it to be a real killer product, but I do think they are on the right track with this.

Oh one good point people have brought up is the PS4 remote play on Vita TV. Not only that, but more than likely it will support Gaikai streaming of games from the cloud. Which means it would be able to support you playing PS4 games from the cloud.

This is the reason for a PS Vita TV is I can plug this into my TV in my bedroom, and remote play my PS4 into my bedroom.  This gives me a 2nd PS4 for $100.

I can't believe what I just heard you guys say. First you say that you buy everything out there just so you guys can talk about on the podcast, such as the Nvidia Shield and Shipwreck even stating he would buy the PS Vita TV day one just to talk about it on the podcast. But when asked if any of you will buy GTA V, it's all no's across the board. What the hell?! The biggest gaming release of this year, this generation even, and none of you is buying the game. Literally everybody will be discussing that game and will want to know your opinions on it, but you guys aren't even going to bother with it.

Is it just me, or does it sound absolutely bat shit insane for a video game podcast not to discuss the biggest video game of the year?

EDIT: The game is fucking awesome and blows away anything I've played this year. 98 on metacritic, still not good enough for you Cheapy to get it on the console?

I can't believe what I just heard you guys say. First you say that you buy everything out there just so you guys can talk about on the podcast, such as the Nvidia Shield and Shipwreck even stating he would buy the PS Vita TV day one just to talk about it on the podcast. But when asked if any of you will buy GTA V, it's all no's across the board. What the hell?! The biggest gaming release of this year, this generation even, and none of you is buying the game. Literally everybody will be discussing that game and will want to know your opinions on it, but you guys aren't even going to bother with it.

Is it just me, or does it sound absolutely bat shit insane for a video game podcast not to discuss the biggest video game of the year?
Pretty much the same sentiment was held by the guys on Giant Bombcast. I know people are excited for GTA, but meh...been there 4 other times. Plus Cheapy is going to play it on the PC.

About the Metal Gear thing:

Just because Kojima has been a perv for 20 years, doesn't excuse the situation. If people want this to be the final straw for them, personally, they have every right for it to be their tipping point. I imagine that a lot of people didn't even notice these things until recently, because the topics haven't been broached in video game circles until recently.

I just re-played the MGS games all in a row, this past month. It's incredible how all of his female characters inexplicably have zipped-down shirts, and how often the camera focuses on their chest or ass (while they're talking, even!). When I played these games as a 20-something, none of this even struck me as odd.

Saying that "Japan does stuff like this all the time" is a huge cop-out. Yes, Japan makes stuff like that all the time, and it's a huge problem. I wonder why gender inequality is so rampant and open in Japan... Certainly its normalization through pop culture can't have anything at all to do with its perpetuation, right?

I haven't played Gone Home yet, though I really want to. I didn't take last week's comments to reveal any spoilers. After people complained I started to question that though. I'm sure it's still not a big deal, but sometimes alerting people to a spoiler after the damage is done can be worse.

I would like a Volgarr code.

BatShip insane, you mean?

The PS Vita that Wombat described--a portable video game system that can plug into your TV and be used essentially as a Roku--sounds like something I might be interested in. As it stands, the PS Vita TV's lack of a screen keeps me from even considering it. I don't see any reason to purchase a portable console only to have it limited to play on a TV at home. 

I think you guys kind of touched on why the Vita is struggling with success when you talked about having to buy not only the system but a memory card and a game as well. Most consumers have no need for two portable systems, so to put the Vita up against the 3DS, the 3DS is a much easier purchase to make. Cheapy has said before that there should be a Vita/PS4 bundle and I think that's absolutely how to salvage the Vita at this point. Sending a message that anyone that buys a PS4 can use the Vita to stream games in their bedroom/bathroom would really entice people that are usually on their phones gaming during this time. 

Great show guys!  Not sure why your PC love gets so much flak? Games such as Saints 4, Far Cry3, etc play better as well as look better on the PC, and the cost of entry is low these days for a decent gaming rig. Most of the friends my kids have play games on PC rather than a console, and my oldest is 11.  My 8yr old daughter and 6 yr old son love playing Rouge Legacy and Rayman Legends downstairs at the computer, while the wife and I make dinner or watch TV.  Win win if you ask me. PCs are in alot of homes, and a $150 mid range video card is sometimes easier to swallow than having to share a TV for a console.  So keep it up you elitist PC whores!

You can't compare screens like that. There are so many factors which make screens look weird in those type of comparisons. The best way is to see it in person.
Yes, I know. That's why I said that people who have seen it in person are saying that the OLED screen looks nicer.

Pretty much the same sentiment was held by the guys on Giant Bombcast. I know people are excited for GTA, but meh...been there 4 other times. Plus Cheapy is going to play it on the PC.
Did you listen to the latest Bombcast? They're all getting GTA. Also, its not coming to PC. Couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic about that.

Everything makes more sense, now that I know Wombat is a 'chocolate' man.

I enjoyed the Beetlejuice reference Cheapy!

Great show as usual.

Just noticed its my 5 year CAGiversary today  :bouncy:

Please help me find Volgarr the Viking in my future.
Great show this week. Wombats feathery balls were the laugh of the show.
I would love a code if there is one left.

RE: VitaTV

Who's it for? Guys like me I guess. I don't want to carry a Vita with me on the train and I'm not really interested in playing its games outside of my home anyway. I don't want to sit in my living room and play games on a tiny screen. 

I've been a PS+ member since before they added the Vita to the program. I have a library of games that I cannot play. For $100 I can play most of these games that I have access to in a more comfortable way. It also gives me the ability to add Netflix to another TV and, if I get a PS4, a way to leave it hooked up to my living room TV and still play it when my girlfriend is watching something. My PS3 is currently connected to my PC monitor because there was something she didn't want to wait to watch on TV and I was playing a game that I didn't want to wait on either.

My only real issue is the ridiculous storage prices. Even after the recent drop they're priced way too high. Let me use that USB port for storage and I'm sold.

I guess i'm a 10 y/o kid but am I the only one who was laughing when Cheapy kept saying he could really cream guys now? :rofl:
I was surprised Wombat didn't pounce on that comment. He was probably still laughing at his feathered leather pouch. ;)

Also, I'd like a Volgarr code, if there are any left.

Thanks!

Maybe the Vita has been so unsuccessful that Sony felt they could reuse the brand name on a video streaming product and no one notice.

PCPCPCPCPCPC. I don't think there is too much PC talk, Cheapy and Shipwreck need to buy Wombat a good gaming PC so they can all talk about PC gaming even more!

I think the reason some people, myself included, aren't too excited for GTAV is because of Saints Row. Saints Row 4 just came out and that series is what you want out of an open world game.

I love the fact that cheapy is talking so much PC gaming now and I have been a listener of the CAGcast for some years now   :D  I would like to throw my hat in the ring for Volgarr the Viking code 

PCPCPCPCPCPC. I don't think there is too much PC talk, Cheapy and Shipwreck need to buy Wombat a good gaming PC so they can all talk about PC gaming even more!

I think the reason some people, myself included, aren't too excited for GTAV is because of Saints Row. Saints Row 4 just came out and that series is what you want out of an open world game.
If some CAGs threw in 5 bucks each, I'll bet we could have a PC for Wombat (made this century, even!) within a couple of hours.

By my math, that gives you another way to play the PS4 you have, not a second PS4.
That's splitting hairs, I would imagine most people who own more than one PS3 have them in the same household, in different rooms, not in two-different households (say a home and a dorm). It gives you the ability to play the PS4 in one room, and if that room is occupied, move into a different room and play PS4 games.

If the PS4 is being used as a PS4 and it can't stream to the Vita TV at the moment (or can the PS4 pull double duty and stream and function at the same time?), then that's what the Vita cart slots are for as well as the crackle and netflix streaming. I find it funny that people are criticizing Sony for putting a physical card slot in the Vita TV when they got SOOO much shit for the PSP GO being download only. The physical card slot also ensures it can be used as a system independent from the rest of the playstation infrastructure, even if you get the best value from combining it with the PS4.

Also, for those who subscribe to PS+ and don't have a vita, that could be incentive enough to pick-up a Vita TV as a method to play that backlog of free games (half of the price of a vita with other secondary features, you likely have an extra DS3 already to pair with it), that is one of the reasons I finally picked up a PSP.

Does the Vita TV come with a remote? If so I would imagine it would get placed with the roku boxes and blu-ray players as well.

I am interested in the Volgarr code.

bread's done
Back