Need advice on a case for air cooling

zodiac308

CAGiversary!
I'm looking to upgrade from a mid to full tower case. I'm going with air cooling and want something with a lot of room for good cable management and future upgrades. What are good full towers with lots of room and great airflow? At first I was leaning towards the Antec Twelve Hundred V3, then I started to look around and saw there are a lot more cases that are good out there. Price is not an issue. I've read in a lot forums of people saying the Corsair 900D is great for air cooling, but most say it's meant for water cooling. Would this case be good for air cooling? The Thor is another case many say is great. Others mentioned are the HAF X, and Cosmos 2. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks for reading :D

I own a Cosmos 2 and I love it. It is a great case and I have been nothing but happy with my purchase. It was well worth the price tag to me. Be aware that it does weigh a ton and is really big however in a way that is the really awesome part about it. You should have plenty of room for upgrades with it. The cable management is absolutely excellent. As for the cooling mine is setup with water cooling for the CPU (I had always had plans of water cooling everything and plan on water cooling the rest of my components very soon.) and everything else is air cooled. I did have it on air cooling with the maximum number of fans in the case and an aftermarket CPU cooler for a little while and I have never had anything come close to overheating and let’s just say I abused some of my components with what I ask of them. So I would say that the airflow is great. The filters on the case are excellent as well. If you have the room for the Cosmos 2 (over estimate its size just a little I underestimated the measurements just a little and had to make an adjustment where I was putting it) I am sure it would be a great case for you. If you have a microcenter or other computer store near you go have a look in person at it. I have had it for over a year now and I have only had three small complaints about it. Number one I wish it had optional wheel attachments to it. It can be a pain to move when I do end up having to move it every once in a while. Number two I wish that the hot swap bays in the front had been installed in a standard bay format so you could use the as additional bays if needed. Number three I wish the sliding door in the front was easier to remove. I had to remove mine from my case because I did not want it blocking airflow and I had control panel on the front with a knob preventing me from sliding it up. Those 3 minor complaints are the only things I have about the case in over a year. I hope that helps and if I can answer anything about the cosmos 2 for you let me know. If you do decide on the cosmos 2 check out directron.com. I got mine from there for an even 280 I believe at the time and free shipping. They always seem to have a great deal on this case compared to everyone else and I had looked for a long time while I was in the process of my build.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet! I'm gonna look more into this. Especially the website. Thanks a bunch! I'll be back if I have more questions. :D

That's a nice looking case. The two fans on the side are sweet too. You gonna add fans on the bottom? That thing looks like it's a beast with airflow already. Stock fans or replacing them?

That's a nice looking case. The two fans on the side are sweet too. You gonna add fans on the bottom? That thing looks like it's a beast with airflow already. Stock fans or replacing them?
Stock fans everywhere and they are so quiet! I'm not overclocking so everything should be fine but the quietness really surprised me with even those large fans on the side panel. Extremely happy with this case.

In the Cosmos 2, is the hard drive cage removable? If I go with this, I would totally use the bottom bay and remove the cage. Is that possible? But you totally got me madly interested in this case. I'm not going to water cool, just air cool. But the size of it is great and I like space. So the price is right for me. Especially with fan controls.

Removing the bottom hard drive bay is possible. They have in the manual instructions on how to install I believe 2 240mm radiators in that space so depending on what you wanted to use the space for dont see why you couldn't find ways to use it for other things. I did forget to mention before that I do love the fan controls on the case.

I'll add a vote for Thor v2. Awesome case, so much room to work with and tremendous airflow. I had originally used a self contained liquid cool CPU from corsair but I get better performance from my d14.

seriously, check out that case. Its so easy to work with and has nice stock fans.

bread's done
Back