GameStop - GameCube Game Boy Player - $2.97 - YMMV

I had one of these shipped to me a while back, apparently New York has quite a few in the area.  Make sure you have the disk with it, it's useless without it.

Really good deal, disc or no disc.

These things are going for $40+ on ebay without the disc. You need the disc to operate it but if you have the player,  at least you have half of what is needed.

The discs are apparently hard to find for some reason. Did 50% of the people that owned these just go "herp derp let's throw out this shiny little disc" or something? If you try to look for these things you see 100 people trying to sell the player without the disc, but you almost never see someone who just has the disc.

Luckily I got my GBP from a Gamestop a few years ago for $10. One of my best finds.

Luckily I got my GBP from a Gamestop a few years ago for $10. One of my best finds.
I did the same thing a couple years ago when they popped up for $10. Drove a little out of my way during rush hour to go and get it after work but it was totally worth it for ten bucks!

The discs are apparently hard to find for some reason. Did 50% of the people that owned these just go "herp derp let's throw out this shiny little disc" or something? If you try to look for these things you see 100 people trying to sell the player without the disc, but you almost never see someone who just has the disc.

They Game Boy Player disk case is really weird. It's not a standard size, it's clear purple, it has no cover or end label. I can understand how someone can lose it since it's so freakn' weird. (Maybe the American version is different... I imported the purple Game Boy Player to match my Purple GameCube.)

They Game Boy Player disk case is really weird. It's not a standard size, it's clear purple, it has no cover or end label. I can understand how someone can lose it since it's so freakn' weird. (Maybe the American version is different... I imported the purple Game Boy Player to match my Purple GameCube.)
The interesting. The one I got was black and the disc is labeled as the game boy player disc.

Went ahead and had one put on hold near my house. Thanks OP, here's hoping it comes with the disk.

edit-No go, store did in fact NOT have the GB player.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought mine many years ago for $30 which may seem expensive for today's standards but was the norm back then. I noticed one of the 6 Gamestops in my city shows up as low stock.
The same one where I bought my PSP Go when the used price dropped down to $50.
I would feel bad flipping it so instead maybe give it to a friend who will appreciate as much as me.

Really good deal, disc or no disc.

These things are going for $40+ on ebay without the disc. You need the disc to operate it but if you have the player, at least you have half of what is needed.
They're cheap without the disc. It's that disc that gets ya!: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=gamecube+gameboy+player&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=15

The discs are apparently hard to find for some reason.
Huh. No wonder the GS employee was shocked to see the disc when I got mine over a year ago. He said he rarely saw them with a disc and was shocked they, even, had that player let alone the disc.

Glad I didn't call in to get it. A number of the employees eyes got big when they saw it.

The disc cases in America came in a clear white case with just the instruction manual and a white disc inside that said "Gameboy Player" on it.

Man I wish I had the disc :/

Damn thing disappeared on me years ago and I never got another one. I loved this thing.

Note: playing Kirby's Tilt and Tumble is hilarious on this thing

I payed $10 last year at GS for one and its worth every penny. This was only $30 when it originally came out right? I'm shocked that it didn't sell better or the Cube either. Can you imagine you could have got an official console that played all GB, GBC, GBA and GCN games in 2003 for $99 +$30, thus $130? Nintendo must have really been "uncool" with the gaming masses for the Cube to fail so badly as it even had some good games.

none in socal.  looks like new york stores still have them.  i would love to get one of these.  of course i no longer have a gamecube but meh, those things should be cheap by now.

Like Namurashi said the disc case is clear, reminds me of a PSP case. 

Not to be a turd, but is it possible to DL the boot file and burn it to disc or even make a copy from an original or is that a no-no like burning games?

I payed $10 last year at GS for one and its worth every penny. This was only $30 when it originally came out right? I'm shocked that it didn't sell better or the Cube either. Can you imagine you could have got an official console that played all GB, GBC, GBA and GCN games in 2003 for $99 +$30, thus $130? Nintendo must have really been "uncool" with the gaming masses for the Cube to fail so badly as it even had some good games.
Nintendo was cool back then for their first party game. When you buy a Nintendo game system, your basically going for their first party. But at least they had some cool third party games like Resident Evil 4 which gotten me to play the first three, a really fun series. Nothing beats the original these days. ^_^

And are the disc really hard to find? Because I still the disc and it looks brand new since the I got it. Such a shame that people don't take better care of their stuff back then. =(

If someone picks up an extra player with a disc id be very interested in buying it off that person...

Still have mine, too bad it looks like crap on my hdtv. Not entirely convinced component cables would make much of a difference either.

Like Namurashi said the disc case is clear, reminds me of a PSP case.

Not to be a turd, but is it possible to DL the boot file and burn it to disc or even make a copy from an original or is that a no-no like burning games?
I never got this to work.

Sadly every store that says they have the gamecube accessories in the Tampa area either shipped them out,l or just cant find them.

I just got one of these a week ago at a local retro store. Good luck finding these at gamestop. I haven't seen one even show up in stock checker around here in at least two years.

Man I wish I had the disc :/

Damn thing disappeared on me years ago and I never got another one. I loved this thing.

Note: playing Kirby's Tilt and Tumble is hilarious on this thing
That's awesome. I think I tried it with Warioware: Twisted. I would not suggest it, but fun just to see.

THANK YOU OP!!!   :D

My stock checker said a store about 10 miles out of town had one, so this morning I submitted a store hold for it.  I fully expected to get a reply stating they didn't have it, but to my surprise I got a "ready for pickup" email around 10:30.  So I headed up after lunch hoping that it had the disk.  When I get there I see it sitting behind the counter, with disk.  I'm very happy.  The guy asks me what I need, and I tell him that I'm there for that GBA player.  He rings it up, and it rang up for a whopping $0.76!!!   :shock:   

I'm super stoked, I have been looking for one of these things for a while (after stupidly giving mine away years ago) but didn't want to pay the silly ebay prices.  Never in a million years would have thought to check GS if it wasn't for this thread - you rock OP!   :bow:

So I might have hit the motherload - stopped by a Gamestop, and it looks like they were clearing them out.

Picked up EIGHT of them, complete with discs. What a find, and for 6.20sh total.

like a few other people i found one earlier in the year at a gamestop arond here. None anywhere near me now. It looks kinda crappy on an HDTV though. Even on my old CRT it doesn't look that great.

And honesty i cant bring myself to pay the absurd price the gamecube component cables go for online these days to get a decent picture =(

I bought this thing at launch and I played a lot of Pokemon Ruby and Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival on it. I still have it but the only GBA games I've played in years are Pokemon Ruby and Saphire and that's only because I needed to transfer some pokemon over. At this price this thing is a steal.

I love the GBP. I think it is one of the greatest, if not THE greatest accessory Nintendo ever made. I remember when it first came out and I would save every penny I would find around the house in the hopes of buying it, and my dad went and surprised me with it anyway. That was a good day. 

Hahaha - awesome, man! You can *easily* sell them for $40 a pop on eBay. Enjoy yourself a nice payday, or you could spread the love. Either way, nice find.

I sold my GBP with my Gamecube when the Wii came out. Funny enough, though, I found one in good condition with disc at a local shop here about two weeks ago for $25. I'll take it.

like a few other people i found one earlier in the year at a gamestop arond here. None anywhere near me now. It looks kinda crappy on an HDTV though. Even on my old CRT it doesn't look that great.

And honesty i cant bring myself to pay the absurd price the gamecube component cables go for online these days to get a decent picture =(
I hooked the one I grabbed up on my CRT back in my retro game room and I think it looks every bit as good as a SNES, maybe better. I was testing it with FF Tactics Advance, one of two GBA games I currently own. ;) Several I wanna track down now, especially the Metroids and Minish Cap.

I typed zip code 10001 and found some stores with this. Time to go on a Tour-de-USA for Game Boy Players! :whee:

bread's done
Back