How Do I Hook Up TV -and- Monitor to Computer at the Same Time?

dchrisd

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I have a splitter cable for the monitor port (regular monitor port, not hdmi) and a monitor connection on my tv and a monitor connection on my PC.  

I can hook each up by itself to the computer with no problem and the display is great, but when I have them both connected to the splitter cable, either the TV says its an incompatible connection (if I plug in the cable to my monitor first) or my monitor's resolution is really low (if I plug in the cable to my TV first).

Because of that, I'm guessing the computer recognizes whatever device is plugged into the monitor port first (tv or monitor) and then outputs whatever resolution it recognizes to both devices.  Problem is that it will either look like crap, or not at all.  

If that's the case, how do I get the computer to use the proper resolution for whatever device I want to use at the time (I dont want to use both displays at the same time, just want to have both depending on what I'm doing on the comptuer at the time).  If I have only one connection, the computer will auto adjust and make it look good.  I've messed with the resolution in display properties and it doesn't help.

If that's not the case, and its caused by something else, any other suggestions to make this work?

bread's done
Back