Star Trek PS3 $9.99 @ Amazon

Mikocouch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
Star Trek PS3 $9.99 @ Amazon

Usually ships within 1 - 3 weeks.

271166b.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0081B1O5A/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1381172436&sr=1-1

Last edited by a moderator:
This game got a lot of flak, but my friend and I played about half of it in co-op last week and had good fun.  This is what I paid for it, and it's a decent price if you're a Trek fan.

This game got a lot of flak, but my friend and I played about half of it in co-op last week and had good fun. This is what I paid for it, and it's a decent price if you're a Trek fan.

I assume you mean "Trek" fan. A true Trek fan would avoid the new franchise completely. Truly awful. I think they made this so people would realize that Enterprise was actually not that bad.

Sorry to rant but I hated the reboot. Just so damn awful. At least there was plenty of lens flair!

I assume you mean "Trek" fan. A true Trek fan would avoid the new franchise completely. Truly awful. I think they made this so people would realize that Enterprise was actually not that bad.

Sorry to rant but I hated the reboot. Just so damn awful. At least there was plenty of lens flair!
I love both... the reboot brought about new popularity and maintains the legitimacy of both timelines. Win win.

I've been a fan of the Star Trek series since the Captain Kirk era, and I love the two reboot movies. Don't let anyone else tells you whether you're a fan of the series or not.

I love both... the reboot brought about new popularity and maintains the legitimacy of both timelines. Win win.

I'm just waiting for them to explain how an Indian Sikh wound up being whiter than Data in that last movie.

I'm just waiting for them to explain how an Indian Sikh wound up being whiter than Data in that last movie.
Thank you. I'm a big trek fan and gave the new movies a chance but why not just make Spock black and make Kirk an asian woman and make Scotty a frenchman (ooh la la) and make Sulu white? They totally destroyed the immersion factor with their choice to play Khan. By the way, Nero's time jump can't "explain it away" either since the time he jumped back to was still long after the birth of Khan.

But see they don't maintain the legitimacy of both. The story of the new series was convoluted and highly illogical and completely breaks itself. Can there be fans of either or both? Sure but I don't understand how. If they wanted to make a "fresh" start they should have completely avoided any and all reference to the original series. All that did was completely destroy and legitimacy the new franchise could have had.

But see they don't maintain the legitimacy of both. The story of the new series was convoluted and highly illogical and completely breaks itself. Can there be fans of either or both? Sure but I don't understand how. If they wanted to make a "fresh" start they should have completely avoided any and all reference to the original series. All that did was completely destroy and legitimacy the new franchise could have had.
That sounds more like you lack understanding of what happened. It's obvious you don't care for the movies... not much need to come complain about them here. You aren't going to make those of us that do like them say "Oh, you're totally right! I unlike it now!"

That sounds more like you lack understanding of what happened. It's obvious you don't care for the movies... not much need to come complain about them here. You aren't going to make those of us that do like them say "Oh, you're totally right! I unlike it now!"

Certainly to each his own. On the surface the story makes sense if you aren't paying enough attention like a lot of poorly written fiction. I can totally understand if you enjoyed the ride, but if you think there wasn't plot holes large enough to fly a Borg cube through then you were the one not paying attention.

As I said before everyone has their own tastes, that's fine. There's nothing wrong with having a dissenting opinion about something either. I am by no means trying to sway opinions. It's quite a bit late to be trying to do that.

Also, for what it's worth I enjoyed the Aliens game. But then I played it entirely coop with my brother on his terrible TV with a lot of distractions (his noisy noisy kids) so we were probably a lot like you with the Star Trek films actually now that I think of it. We glazed over all the issues and enjoyed it for what it was. It was by no means a great game, but decent mediocre entertainment for the couple hours we goofed around with it.

I actually enjoyed Aliens CM.  But again I played it coop with a buddy and didnt really focus on any of the negatives, rather just had fun with it for what it was.  I also somehow enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever, but I had nostalgia for the original Duke nukem games and knew it wasnt going to be a good game going into it.  I however did not enjoy this Star Trek game when I rented it from redbox, and did not play all the way through it.  I guess I need to try that Ride to Hell game, as I seem to have a soft spot for shitty games  

Isn't this the game that Shipwreck compared to eating at Golden Corral?  How they have all your favorite things, but you don't want to eat them there.  That shit was hilarious to me.  Best review comment ever. 

But it doesn't bug you that the original Khan was played by a Mexican actor? And he looks pretty damn white in Wrath.
True, but given the time frame the show was filmed in, he was most likely about as dark as the studio would let Roddenberry get away with.

khan_singh.jpg

I like Cumberbatch, but they don't really get much whiter than him.

Certainly to each his own. On the surface the story makes sense if you aren't paying enough attention like a lot of poorly written fiction. I can totally understand if you enjoyed the ride, but if you think there wasn't plot holes large enough to fly a Borg cube through then you were the one not paying attention.

As I said before everyone has their own tastes, that's fine. There's nothing wrong with having a dissenting opinion about something either. I am by no means trying to sway opinions. It's quite a bit late to be trying to do that.

Also, for what it's worth I enjoyed the Aliens game. But then I played it entirely coop with my brother on his terrible TV with a lot of distractions (his noisy noisy kids) so we were probably a lot like you with the Star Trek films actually now that I think of it. We glazed over all the issues and enjoyed it for what it was. It was by no means a great game, but decent mediocre entertainment for the couple hours we goofed around with it.
(Stretches arms, cracks nerd knuckles, clears geek throat)...

I thought Janeway destroyed the Borg?

You have got to be kidding. How are you going to tell others they didn't understand what happened when Chrono was absolutely right? Sure, the effects are shiny and fun, but the story itself DOES play out like a terrible fanfiction. The 1st movie itself had it's share of plotholes, but it was fucking Shakespeare compared to the 2nd film. And yes, they totally ruined the movie for me, but I've never been able to enjoy gibberish/nonsense before. Some people care more about the story than special effects.

If you are a fan of shiny objects, you'll find a lot to love about Star Trek Into Darkness. Otherwise, it's best to skip the movie altogether. That really does sum it up perfectly.

(Stretches arms, cracks nerd knuckles, clears geek throat)...

I thought Janeway destroyed the Borg?
Not at all.

1. We all know Voyager sucks, almost as bad as the new movies. It was easily the worst Star Trek series to date.

2. Star Trek Online (yes, it is officially canon) continues about 30 years after the last TNG movie, and the borg are a bigger threat than ever.

3. The idea that Janeway was promoted to Admiral, instead of immediately being dishonorably discharged and carted away in chains to the nearest prison is a far bigger plothole than anything Voyager did to the borg.

You have got to be kidding. How are you going to tell others they didn't understand what happened when Chrono was absolutely right? Sure, the effects are shiny and fun, but the story itself DOES play out like a terrible fanfiction. The 1st movie itself had it's share of plotholes, but it was fucking Shakespeare compared to the 2nd film. And yes, they totally ruined the movie for me, but I've never been able to enjoy gibberish/nonsense before. Some people care more about the story than special effects.

If you are a fan of shiny objects, you'll find a lot to love about Star Trek Into Darkness. Otherwise, it's best to skip the movie altogether. That really does sum it up perfectly.
People sure want to complain about Star Trek an awful lot on a site for cheap video game deals. We weren't even talking about Into Darkness, man.

[SIZE=10pt]Actually, what Abrams did was incredibly smart and clever because by offering up an alternate timeline it allows the reboot to flourish without ever stepping on the continuity of the original. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]It was actually a rather blatant and humble show of respect. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Also, people really need to tone down all this talk and bravado about the new Trek being illogical because the older films were hardly a bastion of intractable hard science and logic. Voyage Home, still counted as a favorite among Trek fans, has the Enterprise doing a slingshot around the sun to travel back in time for Christ’s sake. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The older Treks, all of them, contain plenty of illogicalities. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Actually, what Abrams did was incredibly smart and clever because by offering up an alternate timeline it allows the reboot to flourish without ever stepping on the continuity of the original. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]It was actually a rather blatant and humble show of respect. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Also, people really need to tone down all this talk and bravado about the new Trek being illogical because the older films were hardly a bastion of intractable hard science and logic. Voyage Home, still counted as a favorite among Trek fans, has the Enterprise doing a slingshot around the sun to travel back in time for Christ’s sake. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The older Treks, all of them, contain plenty of illogicalities. [/SIZE]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_time_dilation

The slingshot around the sun to time travel is very much plausible in theory (especially back in the 70's and 80's when the film was made), particularly to go forward in time. Or at the very least, it was back then. IIRC it's pretty much accepted scientific fact that gravitational forces do impact the flow of time. The only major plothole there is the fact that nobody else in Starfleet used it to return to their proper time, as there were several time travel episodes throughout TNG era where that would've solved a lot of problems quickly. Either way, that's why it's called science FICTION.

Star Trek Into Darkness is far worse. Lazy plot devices like Kahn's magic blood (which itself violates the prime universe's canon; how is it Dr. Bashir NEVER stumbled upon this miracle cure!), obnoxiously obvious foreshadowing (Hey Bones, why are you playing with that dead tribble during an emergency?), and ridiculous plotholes (Federation is at the verge of war with the Klingons, anything may set them off, but then they completely ignore an attack by the Federation flagship where 30 odd soldiers are killed? Kahn must be kept alive so his magic blood can heal Kirk, but none of the other 72 identically enhanced augments, not even the one they had to have removed from stasis to give Kirk a tube could help him? Kahn used that equation stolen from Starfleet to beam directly to Kronos, yet everybody else must use a starship to follow?)

Of course there's far more I could add on, especially in terms of plotholes, but suffice it to say that Abram's Star Trek is pure shit, and I've seen far better writing from grade schoolers. I can't fathom that anyone involved in this film was too dense to catch at least some of this crap, so I can only assume that nobody gives a damn, and that these films are little more than special effect showpieces. Just because they reference Wrath of Kahn here and there doesn't make it a good film by any means.

Like I said before; it's pretty. The effects are decent, and anyone looking for a special effects showcase will be pleased. But I expect a movie to have at least a half decent story, and in that regard the new films are colossal failures.

Ironically, my time with the game made me feel about the same way, except it didn't even have the graphical crutch to lean on. It felt like it belonged on Wii, maybe a low budget WiiU game. Maybe that's too harsh, but the point is it's not a good game. I would say that $10 feels like a fair price, but considering the recent sales on Assassin's Creed III/Dead Space 3/Crisis 3/Killzone Trilogy/ect (lol all games with 3s) I find myself hard pressed to even recommend it at that price. If you REALLY want to play a Star Trek game, the MMO is slightly less buggy, can be run on just about any half-modern computer (graphics still look better than the PS360 game lol), and is F2P, so just go jump into that.

Last edited:
bread's done
Back