I want to trade my PS3 for a Wii U - best options?

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I have a NIB PS3 Slim that has been sitting in my basement for a while.  I also found a couple hundred dollars so now I'm thinking about picking up a Wii U on the cheap by trading in that PS3.  What are my options?

I think you'd have better luck first selling that NIB PS3 Slim for no more than $200(?) here or on Craigslist and then using the proceeds to buy a Wii U.

I'm not going to go into why you should have x over y, considering at this point you probably have other means of watching netflix, streaming videos, especially since it's all about the games.

Don't bother with eBay or Amazon, considering they'll take like 30% of what you get, which isn't very good.

I think you'd have better luck first selling that NIB PS3 Slim for no more than $200(?) here or on Craigslist and then using the proceeds to buy a Wii U.

I'm not going to go into why you should have x over y, considering at this point you probably have other means of watching netflix, streaming videos, especially since it's all about the games.

Don't bother with eBay or Amazon, considering they'll take like 30% of what you get, which isn't very good.
I was thinking about that but I'm pretty sure I don't want the hassle of listing, mailing, etc. I have 2 other PS3s in the house so I'm not really giving up anything. My dad gave me his and bought a blu-ray player because every time he wanted to watch a movie it was a 30 minute wait to update it. I won the other one in a drawing and the 3rd one is the one I originally bought. I'm just looking to get around $175 for it to offset the $300 Wii U cost. I'm hoping GameStop or another store has a deal or something.

Well, you could just save this one for a Christmas gift for a friend, relative for co-worker I guess. Or donate it to Child's Play, if you're not hurting too much for money.

Don't bother with Gamestop, considering they are going to sell the big two for $150 used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you could just save this one for a Christmas gift for a friend, relative for co-worker I guess. Or donate it to Child's Play, if you're not hurting too much for money.

Don't bother with Gamestop, considering they are going to sell the big two for $150 used.
yeah... they make it so hard to trade in. I just called Gamestop and they will only give me $70 for it!

EDIT: I wonder if I just take it to Target and tell them I got it as a gift (which is true) whether they will let me exchange it for store credit.

yeah... they make it so hard to trade in. I just called Gamestop and they will only give me $70 for it!

EDIT: I wonder if I just take it to Target and tell them I got it as a gift (which is true) whether they will let me exchange it for store credit.
I believe target has a limit of like $70 for no receipt returns.

I believe target has a limit of like $70 for no receipt returns.
Yes, it's either 70 or 75 for the whole calendar year per drivers license. You might want to try Walmart. They allow up to 3 receipt-less return transactions every 45 days. I do not know if they have a maximum item value though for a single return though. I've returned games bought for me as gifts for full refunds in cash! Might want to give one of your local Walmarts a call and see if they have a value limit and let us know here because that is something I'd like to know as well.

Yes, it's either 70 or 75 for the whole calendar year per drivers license. You might want to try Walmart. They allow up to 3 receipt-less return transactions every 45 days. I do not know if they have a maximum item value though for a single return though. I've returned games bought for me as gifts for full refunds in cash! Might want to give one of your local Walmarts a call and see if they have a value limit and let us know here because that is something I'd like to know as well.
Walmart appears to be your best bet. There in no value limit mentioned on their return policy. Walmart merely tracks and limits your returns, as stated above.

[SNIP] My dad gave me his and bought a blu-ray player because every time he wanted to watch a movie it was a 30 minute wait to update it. [SNIP]
No advice but got a chuckle out of that. I really like my PS3, but I hate the long updates. I can totally see someone trying to play a movie, only to be met by long tedious updates and saying fuck it, i'm getting something else.

As for your topic, dont know about the ps3, but if you want a cheap wii u and youre ok with used, check Amazon wherehouse deals. Last week they were selling a bunch of like new models for about $215. The inventory fluctuates so its not guaranteed to be that price again, but I browse wherehouse deals and they seem to have wii u's all the time.

Walmart appears to be your best bet. There in no value limit mentioned on their return policy. Walmart merely tracks and limits your returns, as stated above.
So I went to Walmart to return a couple games purchased for me that I already own/purchased for the wrong system! (My family tried so hard) I had 3 full priced games to return sans receipt and got stonewalled at customer service. They told me that they have the right to refuse returns of over $50 without receipt. I was told to get the receipt from the family members that gifted me the games, which I'm not going to do...it would crush them. I'm going to go back tomorrow or Wednesday and hopefully find a more helpful manager or make them show me this policy in writing because that's not what the Walmart.com return policy says. I've never had this issue with them before.

bread's done
Back