Gamestop cracking down on gift receipt returns

Smithers123

CAGiversary!
 I was in store shopping and overhead the employee working. Basically they have certain promotions, people would get gift receipts and hide the original value.

Without the original receipt there is no way to know what the original value was. In the end, the customer was directed to return the item to the original store.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in store shopping and overhead the employee working. Basically they have certain promotions, people would get gift receipts and hide the original value.

Without the original receipt there is no way to know what the original value was. In the end, the customer was directed to return the item to the original store.
Cant say for certain as I have not worked with them for the better part of 5 months now. (freedom!) But, it could have possibly been also a customer that is a "known" thief. I know back when I worked there, there was very select people that had been known to keep their gift receipt for a purchase, then steal more copies of the game, and keep returning those games for the money back. In instances such as this, we were usually asked to tell the person they have to return it back to the store they purchased it at.

Though, considering this is Gamestop, it is possible as well that they are just getting anal about their return policies and trying to make it harder to return things. So whose to say :/

Wait, the gift receipt doesn't have the transaction data loaded onto it? At Home Depot, gift receipt returns return whatever the original buyer paid.

Wait, the gift receipt doesn't have the transaction data loaded onto it? At Home Depot, gift receipt returns return whatever the original buyer paid.
IIRC, Macy's gift receipts are similar to that. There's a barcode on them that's used to pull up price info, etc. about whatever was bought.

The barcodes have all the original information on it as well as the exact price that was paid for the products. Outside of the "possible nature" of the person trying to do the return, or just Gamestop getting more anal, or a associate who is not familiar with anything (a possibility for sure), I dont see why they would have not returned the game. :/

Didn't even know Gamestop did gift receipts.  I can see someone returning at Gamestop, a game they bought cheaper from another retailer.

bread's done
Back