CAGcast #341: What Went Wrong?

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Cheapy & Wombat talk The Wolf Among Us, LEGO Marvel, Watch Dogs delays, and explain why the Xbox brand is doing just fine.
Download (59 minutes) - iTunes -

Listen on Soundcloud.com

GoDaddy Web Hosting & Domain Registration Coupon Codes!
Get a $2.49 GoDaddy domain registration with code CAG249
32% off for all customers with code 32off1
$4 .com registration with 1 year privacy with code FREE9

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Outro

CAG #341

0:30 Shipwreck's New Release
5:15 Show Feedback
5:15 - NeoGaf
14:00 - Cheapy's comic
17:15 Watch This
17:15 - Arrow
20:15 - The Dark Knight Returns
21:30 - Hello Ladies
22:00 - PBS superhero documentary
23:00 New Releases
23:45 - Skylanders Swapforce
25:30 - Star Wars pinball
25:45 - The Wolf Among Us
28:45 Lego Marvel demo
31:00 Watch Dogs delay
33:45 Some PSN games getting upgraded for PS4 (Flow, Flower, etc)
36:30 XBL dedicated servers
39:00 XB1 Machinima app
41:15 Cagbag
41:15 - Next gen gear for Rockband & dlc content transfer
42:15 - iGoogle/home screens
43:15 - Scary games vs movies
45:00 - Drive Club delay?
51:30 Plants vs Zombie 2 and free-to-play
RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Bonus Video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to Shippy!

Thanks guys for replying to my comments in detail on the show. Very much appreciated. :)

Many hospitals in the US have a pregnancy "Holding Pen." The proper term is "Triage."

My wife had to lay in one when we had our first kid at the NYU Medical Center.

Congrats Shipwreck!   I think one reason I love this podcast so much is because (now) you are all married parents. As a fellow married parent, I can relate to a lot of the stories you tell involving your kids.  Now that Shipwreck is a part of the club, I look forward to even more stories.

Wombat, go out and get that new TV.  You can come up with any number of justifications, but if you want it, you want it.  Throw the 46" in your bedroom and your good to go.  Just wait for Best Buy or whoever to have a 24 months same as cash for home theater stuff and you can grab that TV for a few bucks a month.  I'm a big fan of "X" months same as cash.    

Good show.  It was a nice mellow informative show.

I wanted a new TV recently.  I was in the same boat at Wombat.  I wanted the new Vizio M501d-A2R

I have an old 46 inch Panny Plasma.  My wife said if you sell that one you can get a new one.  I sold the Panny Plasma for $275 on craigslist.

Good luck.

Congratulations to the Shipwreck family! 

Wombat: This close to Black Friday (and in the spirit of CAG) I advise you to wait on a sweet deal for your next HDTV. 

In other news; Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pv2RBetzhw0

This will be too small for Wombat, but I just got a really nice 32 inch Samsung for our den on Saturday for $239 at Best Buy (they price matched Amazon).  So now I have the 360 hooked up in the den, and a spot available in the living room entertainment center for the PS4.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN32EH4003-32-inch-720p-Black/dp/B0078LSTWU

This review made buying it an easy decision.  I strongly suggest making sure you get a TV with a low amount of input lag if it's main use will be gaming.

http://www.displaylag.com/a-recap-of-2012-best-gaming-hdtvs/

Congrats Shipwreck!

I own a 360 and a PS3.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with the XBOX brand because most average Joe's could care less.

As a gamer though, for me right now, it boils down to all the rights Sony has been making and not so much the wrongs of Microsoft. Good interesting exclusives late in this gen (The Last Of Us, Puppeteer, Beyond Two Souls, Rain), indie support, Cross Buy, PS4 upgrades (Flower, Flow, etc.), really good PSN weekly sales, and of course PS Plus across the PS3, PS Vita, and PS4 for one price (Free Games).

If Microsoft offered something similar I'd be more excited for the XBOX One than I am currently.

I agree too though these things happen in waves. Nintendo was riding high with the Wii, not so much with the Wii U. Overall though competition is good. Keeps everyone on their toes.

This will be too small for Wombat, but I just got a really nice 32 inch Samsung for our den on Saturday for $239 at Best Buy (they price matched Amazon). So now I have the 360 hooked up in the den, and a spot available in the living room entertainment center for the PS4.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN32EH4003-32-inch-720p-Black/dp/B0078LSTWU

This review made buying it an easy decision. I strongly suggest making sure you get a TV with a low amount of input lag if it's main use will be gaming.

http://www.displaylag.com/a-recap-of-2012-best-gaming-hdtvs/

Thanks this is useful. This is the TV I am looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBQNB0C/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=06NCT7AWBRZV0R9CE24M&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630083502&pf_rd_i=507846

It has a good rating.

I thought you just couldn't remember another one Wombat but you're right, Ryse seems to be the only one.

I quite like the Smoke character from Arrow; capable, feisty, self-deprecating, and charming. Theia was pretty much the only annoying, stick-in-the-mud character from season 1, but so far that role appears to have shifted to the Laurel character.

Lone survivor (crossboy for PS3 and vita) was recently released on the PSN from the PC, and despite its retroish style graphics it is sufficiently anxiety inducing.

That seems like a good deal on a big TV, and its Input Lag is 38ms according to DisplayLag which gets their "Great" rating.

Back when I last bought a TV in 2009 it was much harder to measure input lag and getting reliable information was very difficult. Then a guy named Leo Bondar invented an easy way to test for it.

lagetest_03.jpg

Congrats Shipwreck!

Wombat, I wouldn't get a smart or 3D TV unless similar tvs without the features aren't too much cheaper. I bought a 42" LED 120hz LG TV a few months back for less than $500. Also for a grand you could build a great gaming PC.

whoo hoo! congrats Ships.

Fatherhood is a blast, but I have definitely noticed a change in perspective in regards to playing games. When my daughter was super little (not mobile) playing games was doable, but now that she is almost 2 I find it harder and harder to find time to play. I'm sure free time will go back up when she becomes more independent, but I'm not really counting on it as she will start getting into time consuming activities. I'm not complaining by any means, but I feel like my desire to play is shrinking the older she gets, and the more I realize my free time is precious and should be done doing other things.

Not really meaning to be insightful, just an aging father musing about my existence to fellow cags.

whoo hoo! congrats Ships.

Fatherhood is a blast, but I have definitely noticed a change in perspective in regards to playing games. When my daughter was super little (not mobile) playing games was doable, but now that she is almost 2 I find it harder and harder to find time to play. I'm sure free time will go back up when she becomes more independent, but I'm not really counting on it as she will start getting into time consuming activities. I'm not complaining by any means, but I feel like my desire to play is shrinking the older she gets, and the more I realize my free time is precious and should be done doing other things.

Not really meaning to be insightful, just an aging father musing about my existence to fellow cags.
I started to get more time for video games when my daughter turned four (She is now 6). Once kids get more active you will find more time for gaming. However, I now have a second kid who is 2 and i am back to where i started (Squeezing video games in at 11pm on Friday nights).

CAG #341

0:30 Shipwreck's New Release
5:15 Show Feedback
5:15 - NeoGaf
14:00 - Cheapy's comic
17:15 Watch This
17:15 - Arrow
20:15 - The Dark Knight Returns
21:30 - Hello Ladies
22:00 - PBS superhero documentary
23:00 New Releases
23:45 - Skylanders Swapforce
25:30 - Star Wars pinball
25:45 - The Wolf Among Us
28:45 Lego Marvel demo
31:00 Watch Dogs delay
33:45 Some PSN games getting upgraded for PS4 (Flow, Flower, etc)
36:30 XBL dedicated servers
39:00 XB1 Machinima app
41:15 Cagbag
41:15 - Next gen gear for Rockband & dlc content transfer
42:15 - iGoogle/home screens
43:15 - Scary games vs movies
45:00 - Drive Club delay?
51:30 Plants vs Zombie 2 and free-to-play

Wombat, I feel you.  I have a 52" 1080p 60Hz LCD TV, but I want to upgrade to a smart 3D/240Hz/LED TV.  I can't believe I paid $2400 for it back in 2008.  That seems like an obscene amount of money now.

Yeah, seriously Cheapy, my wife's first labor she had her own room for all 27+ hours of it. Never heard of a "holding pen" - sounds horrible.

And we envy you Wombat - 1/2 hour is unreal. We had 5 kids and all took 12-27 hours. But then my wife made some big babies so that probably had a lot to do with it (8lbs 11oz, 8lbs 8oz, 10lbs 10oz, 9lbs 9oz, and to round it off nicely, another 8lbs 11oz). And note that for the first 3, including big boy there, she chose not to have an epidural. Strangely enough, even though that middle one is 10 now, he's still big (he's taller than his brother who is 13).

But as you said, Cheapy, enough baby talk ;).

I'm looking to replace my parents' TV as well, since they've been using a really shitty 32" for the past couple of years. I plan on going with a Samsung set, mainly cause I've thoroughly enjoyed my Samsung that I bought last year.

I wouldn't suggest getting a Vizio, mostly because of their high failure rate. I've had a Vizio die on me, and after researching it, it's a widespread problem that the company is aware of, but they haven't fixed anything.

Xbox One will also have Crimson Dragon and Loco Cycle at launch. They're digital exclusives, but pretty sizeable ones.

Shipwreck report to the poop deck.  Congtrats to the Shipwrecks!  I don't know about you guys, but I've learned from previous system launches and this time I'm not buying a bunch of mediocre launch games. I'm just buying one good one. Battlefield 4 looks next gen to me so that's what I'll be getting with my PS4. 

First time I have listened in several years. Wombat's reference to the Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince 900 line means I may come back again next week. I still have that commercial memorized.

"Just dial the number on your TV screen."

For someone that spends so much time involved with the Internet masses, Cheapy, I'm constantly amazed at how positive you are. It's silly to think that Microsoft is somehow doomed because of their mistakes regarding the Xbox One when the system will likely sell-out just fine at launch, and for several months after. The same people that think Microsoft is done for made the same statements when they announced the Kinect and millions of people bought that. 

That being said, I'm planning on buying a PS4 and have no immediate plans to buy a Xbox One. What Microsoft has shown of their new console doesn't appeal to me--someone that doesn't have cable and has no desire to game online--but I can understand that it might appeal to a lot of other consumers. I do think they are not going to win the console war this time around, but asking, "what went wrong?" with Microsoft is a bit nonsensical. 

if your money is coming from affiliate programs it is of no advantage (to you) to talk people out of how they spend their money.

Arrow is definitely a better show, but I think Agents of Shield is starting to find it's groove. Admittedly the first season of many great shows is pretty rough-Buffy & Angel being prime Whedon examples. I'm willing to give it at least one season. Unless someone carries around a turtle for several episodes on a vision quest. Then I'm done.

Can't really blame you guys for your take on NeoGAF.

I love posting there, have over 14,000 posts there actually, but it's really gone downhill in the past year or two. Everyone is so angry and extreme with their feelings and every one of their opinions that eventually it's all just senseless noise. Not sure why it only seems like a recent problem. Maybe an influx of new members overwhelming the mod team or something (who do a pretty good job for the most part). Not always easy to have a level-headed and rational discussion I'm afraid. And people are assholes to eachother. Like in a major way. I've seen many a thread stoop to GameFAQs levels of anger and immaturity.

Basically, I think the average post quality has gone way down lately. Maybe just a bit of next gen craziness that'll hopefully pass.

Congrats to the Ships.  Also as someone who doesn't have kids I always appreciate Cheapy's ringing endorsement of having kids to help validate my choices :>

I think SHIELD at the moment may have to worry more about the shared movie universe more so than an Arrow.  So when you get close to a movie it can lead into some cool ties, but it also might limit where they can take show initially.  For example the traditional enemy of SHIELD is Hydra, but they were already used in Captain America.  It is possible they could be leading up to a big Hydra reveal later in the show that ties in with the new Cap movie. And when all else fails on Arrow they just throw in fight which are a lot more entertaining than on SHIELD.

I agree with Cheapy the Xbox brand is still fine.  There are 80 million Xbox's out in the wild, and most of those owners have no idea what happened this summer.

Wombat was right the first time Neogaf is a cesspool. 

For someone that spends so much time involved with the Internet masses, Cheapy, I'm constantly amazed at how positive you are. It's silly to think that Microsoft is somehow doomed because of their mistakes regarding the Xbox One when the system will likely sell-out just fine at launch, and for several months after. The same people that think Microsoft is done for made the same statements when they announced the Kinect and millions of people bought that.
Gotta stay positive. It seems a lot healthier.

if your money is coming from affiliate programs it is of no advantage (to you) to talk people out of how they spend their money.
That might be a short-sighted way of looking at it. You've been a member here a long time, so surely you know that's not how I operate.

So are you guys going to set up a pool on who gets to bite it this season on Arrow? I think the odds lean heavily toward Quentin Lance, considering how angry his daughter's become.  Though I somehow suspect Thea for Oliver/Roy manbond time.  This is indeed a show where everybody's pretty much fair game, especially when Merlyn did kill plenty of prominent comic book characters last season.

Nice show, Wombat looking for a tv is he willing to wait till black friday or cyber monday? Congrats to the shipwrecks their daughters birthday is before mine, A big life change awaits me myself I am spreading my wings and getting my first studio apartment, I'm excited and nervous at the same time how was it for you cheapy, wombat, and shipwreck to live on your own away from home for the first time?

listened to this almost 2 weeks ago.  congrats to shipwreck.

also what happened to the cheapy awards... the 2012 cheapy awards. the 10th annual cheapy awards.

Congrats to Shipwreck. I did however want to say that I really miss the 2- man dynamic with only CHeapy and Wombat....I loved this episode. 

bread's done
Back