Photo
- - - - -

Contemplating my PS3 / PS4 future...best options?

PS3 Console Refurb Used PS4 repair thermal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 texasnightowl

texasnightowl

Endangered Species List Member: Humans possessing common sense.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

Once I typed all this out I realized how long winded I got...sorry.  O:)  I need to work on brevity.

So, my 80gb launch era BC PS3 (CECHE01) is still running. And I have not done any preventive thermal upgrades to it...yet. (Though I did replace the hard drive a couple years back.) But I am also not as heavy a gamer as many of you here. I may finish one game and then the PS3 may sit for a couple weeks without being touched. Other times, it's primary use was either Netflix streaming or blu-ray play (ie...gorging on LOST). But still...cycles of a couple hours a day followed by days if not weeks of not being turned on at all.  All that said, I only recall it locking up on me 2, maybe 3 times and a power down / reboot brought it back.

My thoughts about the PS4 are:
-I'm disappointed in lack of backward compatibility even though I mostly understand why
-I have plenty of PS3 games I still haven't played
-At the moment I feel I probably won't buy a PS4 until at least Christmas 2014 if not early 2015
-I want to see how it shakes out...problems, etc.
-I want to see what Gaikai really is but even though I hope they will find a way for owners of physical disks to be accomodated I actually expect for physical disk owners to be screwed

Which leads me to this:
I want to keep PS3 access for at least 2 more years; maybe more.

So I'm trying to decide what path gives me the best chance of a working PS3 for the next 2-4 yrs with the least amount of pain to my wallet. Hey, this *is* CAG.

Option 1: Buy a 2nd PS3
-I have another room I could use the original in as a BR player and then if needed, have it for games if the 2nd dies
Pro: Hey, it's a spare PS3
Con: Cost, particularly new...might drop some but probably not much.

Best way to buy without dropping a ton?
-Gamestop (current system deal...any preowned PS3 for $150 plus a free $20 used game; 7 day money back; 30 day exchange)
-Cowboom (decent not spectacular prices; grade 6 slim 320's avail)
-Craigslist (no "warranty" but some decent deals pop up around me ... example, a slim 250 with 3 games, including the Last of Us, for $150)
-Which model to target? Is the 320gb Slim the one to go after? Or should I go for the GameStop Black Friday 250gb Super Slim w/Last of Us and Batman Origins?

Option 2: Keep only the 80gb "phat"
-pre-emptive thermal maintenance? Gone this long without. Do I need to do this? How easy to do? I have built my own PC's and dis-assembled laptops before.
-repair if it fails. I even have a local shop with good reviews that does PS3 repairs.

Option 3: Trade 80gb "phat" towards a newer model
-What is the trade-in value on the 80gb? Do I have to try to find the original 80gb hard drive and swap it back in before I do this?
Pro: A newer PS3 will have 3-5 less years of wear on it
Con: A newer one can break just as easily as an older one

Any input on which way to go here? Part of me says...oh, buy a backup!  The other part of me says *if* the phat breaks then worry about it.

Currently Playing:

:3ds: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

:ds: Harvest Moon: A Tale of Two Towns

:ps3: Assassin's Creed III

(Recently finished:  :ps3: Mirror's Edge, Assassin's Creed: I, II, Brotherhood, Revelations)

#2 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

Get the black friday bundle at gamestop, sell the games and after ebay fees you get a system for under $150.  Or you could just wait till it die and then get a replacement.  Don't bother trading it in under you get an amazing deal.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#3 texasnightowl

texasnightowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

Or you could just wait till it die and then get a replacement.  Don't bother trading it in under you get an amazing deal.

Has Sony indicated how long they plan to continue selling the PS3 once the PS4 is out? I mean, I know there will be many used PS3's out there for several years, but how long will there be "new" ones out there for?

I don't love the look of the Super Slim but if it came down to it, I could live with it.

I figured the deals on PS3 trade-ins were probably drying up.

Currently Playing:

(Recently finished:  :ps3: Mirror's Edge, Assassin's Creed: I, II, Brotherhood, Revelations)

#4 ludus

ludus

CAG Ultra Noob

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:20 PM

I don't think the PS3 will be supported any longer than 2 years from now. I could of swore I read an article that they said they only have plans to support it for another 2 years. 

If you really must get a new PS3, I say wait until black Friday as well. That's the best time to get one, and since I doubt many people will bother to buy out all of the PS3's, there should be a ton left in a lot of stores. 

LeaptradeForumSignature.jpg

#5 waldo21212

waldo21212

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:08 PM

I don't think the PS3 will be supported any longer than 2 years from now. I could of swore I read an article that they said they only have plans to support it for another 2 years. 

If you really must get a new PS3, I say wait until black Friday as well. That's the best time to get one, and since I doubt many people will bother to buy out all of the PS3's, there should be a ton left in a lot of stores. 

I think you are thinking of the 360, since MS has come out and said "2 years" of support.  I don't think Sony has said.

To the OP: 

i'd wait till BF as long as your current one is working before picking up a 2nd PS3.  In the meantime, I'd make sure you use the cloud (assuming you have PS+) to back-up any save games you want in case the phat does die.

I bought my 2nd PS3, a superslim, from Cowboom for $130 a few month ago and so far so good, although I mostly have been using it for blu rays.  I didn't care for the superslim when I saw it, but it's not too bad IMO.  The blu ray drive seems a little louder than my Slim, but it doesn't have the eject issues my slim has either.

#6 texasnightowl

texasnightowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

i'd wait till BF as long as your current one is working before picking up a 2nd PS3.  In the meantime, I'd make sure you use the cloud (assuming you have PS+) to back-up any save games you want in case the phat does die.

I bought my 2nd PS3, a superslim, from Cowboom for $130 a few month ago and so far so good, although I mostly have been using it for blu rays.  I didn't care for the superslim when I saw it, but it's not too bad IMO.  The blu ray drive seems a little louder than my Slim, but it doesn't have the eject issues my slim has either.

Thanks for the replies. I will wait for BF or at least wait for more BF ads to be released.

I actually don't have PS+ ... yet ... but I'll definitely be trying to hit up GameStop for the $29.99 annual subscription on BF. I normally avoid BF shopping in B&M but may make an exception. (Though I will be avoiding the store that is right next to Wal Mart!)

I know I've read that some people pro-actively replace the thermal paste and pads...just to clarify...that doesn't eliminate the YLOD chances...just reduces them by reducing heat? Is that right? 

Currently Playing:

#7 texasnightowl

texasnightowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:52 PM

Probably no one cares too much, but since there were over 250 views I thought I'd update with my decision.

I'm keeping my 80gb phat.

I was really tempted by this week's Best Buy offer that would have given me a minimum $100 gift card for trade in. But then I'd still have to turn around and buy another PS3. And I still don't like the looks of the Super Slim.  And my phat PS3 has always seemed to run cooler than many...only maybe 3 times in 5+ years have I heard the fan ramped all the way up. Anyway, I'm just going to keep what I've got and have it repaired if/when it does fail/YLOD.  There are at least 3 shops near me with decent reviews (google/yelp) for PS3 repair. 

I'll still keep an eye on cowboom and craigslist for slims at a great grade but it would have to be a really smokin' deal.

Currently Playing:

#8 dragoon99

dragoon99

Objection!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:46 AM

You could join the PS4 conga line that just started tonight on CAG and get one free. That's what I'm doing because I can't really afford to buy a PS4 right now. I also need a PS3 but that'll only get cheaper from here on out as more people move to the next gen.