Amazon to raise minimum order to $35 for free shipping

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#31 loudlyrandomplay

loudlyrandomplay

I just win.

• CAG in Training

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

I live in NJ and stopped using Amazon. I started getting charged tax, and then my Prime expired. I tried to buy something and when I saw the price skyrocket almost $10 because of shipping/tax I realized it wasn't the great place it used to be.

It actually is still great. After 1+ years on a stroller and almost 2 years on a video monitor, amazon replaced both free of charge after issues arose. Their customer service brings me back all the time even after charging Texas tax.

#32 mrspicytacoman

mrspicytacoman

Apply Ubik only as directed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

dose gas prices yo....

we need to bomb another oil country

vpnz.png2h50m13.gif2eb67tj.jpgn5qy6u.gif

#33 bruceg

bruceg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

I feel like this free shipping over 35 bucks is going to make the black friday lightning deals difficult unless I want 2 or more games at the time.

For lightning deals, the free shipping threshold is based on the pre-lightning deal price.  So if that is over $35, you should still get free shipping.

#34 asianmentality

asianmentality

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

For lightning deals, the free shipping threshold is based on the pre-lightning deal price. So if that is over $35, you should still get free shipping.

Oh thanks for the heads up. I'm less worried now.

#35 Chesskid1

Chesskid1

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

do you guys think they are trying to increase amazon prime memberships

#36 lzanagi

lzanagi

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

Amazon has gone mad. This is one company that truly deserves to go out of business, so long as someone takes its place. I've got a ton of Amazon credit and I need to find a way to turn it into Best Buy and Gamestop credit, since it's more or less Monopoly money now.

#37 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

Found out about this last night as I was trying to add things to my shopping cart.  Not really a deal breaker as most of my orders lately have been in the $35 threshold.

I hope this isn't permanent, more as a holiday thing. There have been times where I have found myself just wanting one or two items that cost a few coins on or over $25.  In those cases and being broke more than half of the time, I'll be less inclined to shop with Amazon.

#38 dc_fortythree

dc_fortythree

This was a triumph

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

thanks for the info! now that i live in WA and have to pay tax on Amazon orders, i've just been price matching at Best Buy. it also makes it easier to return games if i get caught up in real life issues.

#39 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

Man, some whiny bitches on here.

jayremedy.png

sig.gif

#40 kburns10

kburns10

You Gots to Chill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

As long as the price of Prime does by increase as well, I'm unaffected by this.
Posted Image

$60 for FIVE kick ass games? With a BUNCH of extras?

And some of you are COMPLAINING about the price?

Youre not a CAG, just a CMF!! lol

#41 TheRainCoat

TheRainCoat

Rain rain windy rain.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

I figure that only school children can't afford an annual $35 for prime, so this doesn't really affect anyone with a decent job.....

If you don't have Prime they you really shouldn't be buying stuff on the internet anyway

#42 Asgardian

Asgardian

Crazy Ass Game Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:31 PM

Boo to the rise of FSSS, but of course I will still buy from amazon when there are good deals...

For those being hit with tax buying at amazon. It is not amazon that charges you tax, it's your state. It sux to no longer have an almost 10% off buying from amazon (for CA) but you do get used to it and it is the right thing to do. 

Have a good read of the awesome FAQ by AtlanteanMan.
Posted Image
Then post in the DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD Suggestion Thread and Information Page:
http://community.us..../thread/3416427
Show your support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!

#43 TheRainCoat

TheRainCoat

Rain rain windy rain.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

Amazon has gond mad. This is one company that truly deserves to go out of business, so long as someone takes its place. I've got a ton of Amazon credit and I need to find a way to turn it into Best Buy and Gamestop credit, since it's more or less Monopoly money now.

Are you kidding me?

Amazon is no where near that level of incompetence yet. Bar none they still offer some of the best services on the internet, for buyers and sellers.

This post is ridiculous

#44 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

34503681.jpg

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#45 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Owns Every Hamster Game* on PSN

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

You suck.

tylerh1701.png BZljDsc.jpg

Check out my CAG Blog!  NEW POST: My XBLA Backlog

#46 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

Well now we know where most bottom feeders lurk.

I mean do any of you guys shop at Amazon?

First most lightning and black friday deals are Free Shipping regardless of price or prime subscription.

Spoiler

Not even true.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a lighting deal where the $25 (now $35) minimum doesn't apply. Not saying it doesn't happen. I rarely pay attention to lighting deals during the year anymore, but during Black Friday the $25 minimum has always been in effect as far back as I can remember. 

Now there are generally enough deals during black Friday that adding an extra item to hit $25 is not hard at all, but $35 is a pretty big jump. So I could see it being an issue. 

#47 retrad

retrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

another nail in amazons coffin imo.  Ive already been buying games elsewhere for the most part.  This pretty much makes it a forgone conclusion that I wont be shopping there anymore for games.

Posted Image

#48 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

I figure that only school children can't afford an annual $35 for prime, so this doesn't really affect anyone with a decent job.....

If you don't have Prime they you really shouldn't be buying stuff on the internet anyway

Only "school children" pay $35 for prime. Working adults pay $79.  ;)

I used to be a member of Prime, Barnes and Noble, Costco, etc. Then I added it up and decided it was incredibly stupid to "pay to shop". Especially when I get better deals elsewhere anyway. I also already pay for Netflix and Hulu+, so there's really no use for Prime other than the shipping. 

#49 aaronrodgers

aaronrodgers

Yo...Siggy, Phido!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

Reading this makes me glad I have Prime :D It's even more worth it now.

95438.png

LT1B2oV.png

#50 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

Not even true.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a lighting deal where the $25 (now $35) minimum doesn't apply. Not saying it doesn't happen. I rarely pay attention to lighting deals during the year anymore, but during Black Friday the $25 minimum has always been in effect as far back as I can remember. 

Now there are generally enough deals during black Friday that adding an extra item to hit $25 is not hard at all, but $35 is a pretty big jump. So I could see it being an issue. 

It is true in a lot of instances. Don't base your conclusion on the one or two items you buy a year.

#51 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

Wubadubadub, is that true?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

Um, how are you getting Prime for 50% off?  Showing as $79/year for me.

Totally sucks for me since bundling things together for FSSS is the only way I shop.  I hope they honor FSSS on sub-$35 preorders since the Dragon's Dogma Design Works that I ordered is $31.

uc.png

#52 lzanagi

lzanagi

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:56 PM

Really? I didn't know your mom was in this thread? Hello, jay_remedy's mom!

#53 mask-air-raid

mask-air-raid

Mr. Encyclopedia of Soda

• CAG Veteran

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

Um, how are you getting Prime for 50% off? Showing as $79/year for me.

Totally sucks for me since bundling things together for FSSS is the only way I shop. I hope they honor FSSS on sub-$35 preorders since the Dragon's Dogma Design Works that I ordered is $31.

Amazon Student gets you prime at half price.

Swag Bucks referral: http://swagbucks.com/refer/newmask

GiftHulk  invite code:RD172480

ShopKick: http://get.shopkick.com/barium13444

Gets you GC and PayPal cash. Over 0 CAGs referred!

Please send me a PM if you used my referrals. I want to do raffles for you.

#54 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

another nail in amazons coffin imo.  Ive already been buying games elsewhere for the most part.  This pretty much makes it a forgone conclusion that I wont be shopping there anymore for games.

I have nothing against Amazon, but except for Black Friday I don't think I've bought a game from them in 2 years. I've bought a few blu-rays, but not nearly as many as I used to. I went through a phase where I bought a ton of stuff with Barnes and Noble (Criterion 50% off sales) - and lately almost everything has been either Bestbuy.com or Frys.com. Basically I go where the deals are.   

Plus while I've never had any issues with receiving games or blu-rays, Amazon has screwed up "non-media" orders for me several times (broken items, poor packaging, obvious repacked item sold as new, DOA electronics, etc). It's amazing to me that they are still stealing market share and their stock keeps going up when their service seems to be slipping. 

#55 TheRainCoat

TheRainCoat

Rain rain windy rain.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

Only "school children" pay $35 for prime. Working adults pay $79.  ;)

I used to be a member of Prime, Barnes and Noble, Costco, etc. Then I added it up and decided it was incredibly stupid to "pay to shop". Especially when I get better deals elsewhere anyway. I also already pay for Netflix and Hulu+, so there's really no use for Prime other than the shipping. 

You're not paying to shop, you're paying for shipping beforehand. It is dumb if you aren't a frequent shopper, but for students who constantly order supplies and need a Netflix substitute for weekends, Prime is a godsend.

And yeah, that was my bad. Got the prices mixed up

#56 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

Wubadubadub, is that true?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

Amazon Student gets you prime at half price.

Ahaha, "school children" indeed.

If I wasn't already paying for Hulu and Netflix it might be worth it.

uc.png

#57 TheRainCoat

TheRainCoat

Rain rain windy rain.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

Really? I didn't know your mom was in this thread? Hello, jay_remedy's mom!

Grow up

#58 mask-air-raid

mask-air-raid

Mr. Encyclopedia of Soda

• CAG Veteran

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

Ahaha, "school children" indeed.

If I wasn't already paying for Hulu and Netflix it might be worth it.

Them dudes be jelly.

Maybe cancel Hulu?

Swag Bucks referral: http://swagbucks.com/refer/newmask

GiftHulk  invite code:RD172480

ShopKick: http://get.shopkick.com/barium13444

Gets you GC and PayPal cash. Over 0 CAGs referred!

Please send me a PM if you used my referrals. I want to do raffles for you.

#59 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

It is true in a lot of instances. Don't base your conclusion on the one or two items you buy a year.

I've probably had years where i've done 100+ transactions with them, especially back when I was in college buying books, DVD's, and CD's like crazy. (long before Kindle, e-books, or IPADS). 

Even today I'm sure I do more than "1 or 2". Probably more like 10-15. Mostly just blu-rays at this point. Unless it's something random during black Friday. 

Please show me an item right now that is "free shipping" from amazon with no minimum. I'm not sure I've EVER seen that, or at least it's been so long I can't even remember it. Certainly not among the core categories of games, movies, books I don't recall seeing that. 

#60 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

Them dudes be jelly.

Maybe cancel Hulu?

Nope. I subscribe to Hulu literally for just the Criterion channel. That alone is worth more than Amazon prime.