Amazon to raise minimum order to $35 for free shipping

Ya thats like the nail in the coffin for me. I would sign up for prime but no 2 day shipping to Hawaii and the last time I had the trial they shipped my PRIME items via FSSS method (parcel post).

It was bad enough getting to $25 now I have to get to $35...ya no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? Stupid. They can't offer free site-to-store shipping already, so why be even less competitive? I have a feeling this is a move in the wrong direction, and they will fix their mistake by Christmas to prevent any further losses.

Without Prime, it will be near impossible for regular folks to shop with Amazon during Black Friday week this year since almost every deal they offer has been locked under the gold box "buy in 15 minutes or lose it" for the past few years now.

Also: Best Buy is now "Free shipping with $25" so shopping online is really starting to lose its insta-buy appeal.  Wal-Mart may actually win this year.

It's going to be hard for those that don't have prime to get in on the black friday lightning deals from Amazon. Finding a filler for a $10 - $15 deal to reach $35 to get free shipping will be fustrating while ensuring the item doesn't sell out.

Edit: Pretty much what Kerig said. :) 

Best Buy and Target also don't price match during the week of Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday.

Well that sucks, but then again we are reaching the holiday shopping season and Amazon wants to cover their asses sooner. It just means I have to save up an extra $10 within the next few weeks.

I jumped on the Prime deal when Amazon had a monthly charge of $7.99 and still on it. A little bit expensive I know but I can't shell out the whole $79.
So, you're OK with spending $95.88 over a year's time, though not $79 in one sitting? I guess a "convenience fee" of $16.88 over a year works in this case.

They've done a lot of shady stuff this year, like those products that are less than $10 that I can't get shipped even with Prime unless I add something else.

Since I have to pay tax there now I don't shop at Amazon as much any more.

Amazon also does shady stuff with Prime. If you buy Prime and you are not in the continental U.S, you get a surcharge for shipping that negates the "free shipping" bullshit. And since they are technically now Prime customers, they don't get the free super savings shipping option, so they have to pay for shipping no matter what. This is meant to scam customers not in the 48 states that may have heard about Prime's benefits. But when they themselves get Prime, they get screwed.

In other words, U.S. citizens paying for Prime in Alaska, Hawaii, etc. get a WORSE deal than not paying for Prime.

Shipping kills it.

I'm being serious.  Finding enough filler to make $35 an order -- lol.  Makes Prime all that much more worthwhile (except for the increasing # of states being charged tax by Amazon...)

Holy shit in for 10!  Thanks OP.

There are plenty of forums on CAG for discussion, can we please leave the video game deals thread for video game deals please?  

In b4 all the clever "wannabe mod" responses.  What I really wish is for CAG to have a thread-hiding feature.

Use to primarily shop at Amazon, now I can't even remember the last time I placed an order there. They have been going downhill for a while now.

This doesn't bode well for AWD shoppers and myself but I'm gonna take advantage of them starting Nov 1st with a 1 month prime trial so I could get my PS4 and black Friday items via 2 day shipping.

I feel like this free shipping over 35 bucks is going to make the black friday lightning deals difficult unless I want 2 or more games at the time.

Thanks for the info, really sucks. Luckily I barely ever use FSS, was gonna sign up for prime anyway since I buy so much stuff online now

And some people should quit being turds when someone posts good info. Ignore it and move on

Well now we know where most bottom feeders lurk.

I mean do any of you guys shop at Amazon?

First most lightning and black friday deals are Free Shipping regardless of price or prime subscription.

Second if you live outside of the CONUS then you really can't complain about shipping prices. USPS is the only mail carrier that doesn't really discriminate based on where you live but that is only for flat rate pricing services like First Class and Medium/Large or standard flat rate mailers. The rest of their services are zoned just like FedEx and UPS.

UPS is obviously charging Amazon more to ship to your location and I don't think that the majority of prime users should have to pay more for their subscription just so those outside the CONUS can get free prime shipping. I mean seriously... there are resident in Canada and Mexico that live closer to a AZ distribution center then those that live in Alaska, Hawaii, PR, etc.

I shop at Amazon, but have Prime. Next year, my state starts getting nailed w/ sales tax on Amazon, so my amount of purchases will be dropping sharply.

BTW, wrong forum. ;)

I live in NJ and stopped using Amazon. I started getting charged tax, and then my Prime expired. I tried to buy something and when I saw the price skyrocket almost $10 because of shipping/tax I realized it wasn't the great place it used to be.

I live in NJ and stopped using Amazon. I started getting charged tax, and then my Prime expired. I tried to buy something and when I saw the price skyrocket almost $10 because of shipping/tax I realized it wasn't the great place it used to be.
It actually is still great. After 1+ years on a stroller and almost 2 years on a video monitor, amazon replaced both free of charge after issues arose. Their customer service brings me back all the time even after charging Texas tax.

I feel like this free shipping over 35 bucks is going to make the black friday lightning deals difficult unless I want 2 or more games at the time.
For lightning deals, the free shipping threshold is based on the pre-lightning deal price. So if that is over $35, you should still get free shipping.

Amazon has gone mad. This is one company that truly deserves to go out of business, so long as someone takes its place. I've got a ton of Amazon credit and I need to find a way to turn it into Best Buy and Gamestop credit, since it's more or less Monopoly money now.

Found out about this last night as I was trying to add things to my shopping cart.  Not really a deal breaker as most of my orders lately have been in the $35 threshold.

I hope this isn't permanent, more as a holiday thing. There have been times where I have found myself just wanting one or two items that cost a few coins on or over $25.  In those cases and being broke more than half of the time, I'll be less inclined to shop with Amazon.

thanks for the info! now that i live in WA and have to pay tax on Amazon orders, i've just been price matching at Best Buy. it also makes it easier to return games if i get caught up in real life issues.

I figure that only school children can't afford an annual $35 for prime, so this doesn't really affect anyone with a decent job.....

If you don't have Prime they you really shouldn't be buying stuff on the internet anyway

Boo to the rise of FSSS, but of course I will still buy from amazon when there are good deals...

For those being hit with tax buying at amazon. It is not amazon that charges you tax, it's your state. It sux to no longer have an almost 10% off buying from amazon (for CA) but you do get used to it and it is the right thing to do. 

Amazon has gond mad. This is one company that truly deserves to go out of business, so long as someone takes its place. I've got a ton of Amazon credit and I need to find a way to turn it into Best Buy and Gamestop credit, since it's more or less Monopoly money now.

Are you kidding me?

Amazon is no where near that level of incompetence yet. Bar none they still offer some of the best services on the internet, for buyers and sellers.

This post is ridiculous

34503681.jpg

Well now we know where most bottom feeders lurk.

I mean do any of you guys shop at Amazon?

First most lightning and black friday deals are Free Shipping regardless of price or prime subscription.

Second if you live outside of the CONUS then you really can't complain about shipping prices. USPS is the only mail carrier that doesn't really discriminate based on where you live but that is only for flat rate pricing services like First Class and Medium/Large or standard flat rate mailers. The rest of their services are zoned just like FedEx and UPS.

UPS is obviously charging Amazon more to ship to your location and I don't think that the majority of prime users should have to pay more for their subscription just so those outside the CONUS can get free prime shipping. I mean seriously... there are resident in Canada and Mexico that live closer to a AZ distribution center then those that live in Alaska, Hawaii, PR, etc.
Not even true.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a lighting deal where the $25 (now $35) minimum doesn't apply. Not saying it doesn't happen. I rarely pay attention to lighting deals during the year anymore, but during Black Friday the $25 minimum has always been in effect as far back as I can remember.

Now there are generally enough deals during black Friday that adding an extra item to hit $25 is not hard at all, but $35 is a pretty big jump. So I could see it being an issue.

another nail in amazons coffin imo.  Ive already been buying games elsewhere for the most part.  This pretty much makes it a forgone conclusion that I wont be shopping there anymore for games.

I figure that only school children can't afford an annual $35 for prime, so this doesn't really affect anyone with a decent job.....

If you don't have Prime they you really shouldn't be buying stuff on the internet anyway
Only "school children" pay $35 for prime. Working adults pay $79. ;)

I used to be a member of Prime, Barnes and Noble, Costco, etc. Then I added it up and decided it was incredibly stupid to "pay to shop". Especially when I get better deals elsewhere anyway. I also already pay for Netflix and Hulu+, so there's really no use for Prime other than the shipping.

bread's done
Back