Infamous vs Prototype

Dallas12Cowboys

CAGiversary!
Feedback
30 (100%)
Hi all! I hope this is the correct forum to post this in. Anyways, I'm new to ps3 and I just began infamous today, and I cannot believe how similar Infamous(ps3) seems to be to Prototype(360).. Is there a reason behind this? Same developers? I haven't really looked into it, but they're just so alike that I cannot help but wonder..

They aren't made by the same developers, infamous is made by suckerpunch and prototype is by radical. I'm not sure if one publisher caught wind of what the other was doing so they decided to take the same idea or it's just because superhero movies were popular at the time.

I played prototype and infamous and enjoyed infamous is a lot more, it's one of my favorite games of this gen. I couldn't finish prototype.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember we had an argument about this on CAG back when the games came out.

If you were reading a checklist of features, the games seem identical... the free-running, the super-powers, open world, etc. The thing is that the games really do play differently. There are some similar elements, sure(both games have a glide and bomb-drop ability that I abuse the hell out of) but the core gameplay, and the scale between the games are very different.

As for any sort of copycat scheme... I doubt it. Prototype is an extension of Radical's 2005 Hulk: Ultimate Destruction game, and Sucker Punch probably just decided to make a superhero game. You can even see some elements from the Sly games in Infamous.

Even though Prototype was on both PS3/360, those two games were a big point of argument between 360 and PS3 fans when they came out since they practically released at the same time.  On paper, they are both open world superhero type games, but in practice they are totally different.  I remember Red Faction Guerrilla also released at the same time which is another open world game (although that one wasn't about superpowers, but it still had super powered suits/devices).

InFamous was made by Sucker Punch, who were previously known for the Sly Cooper games, and Prototype was made by Radical, who made Hulk Ultimate Destruction (which was awesome by the way...I prefer it over Prototype).  

Thank you for all the responses! I find it very odd how close their release dates are to each other. Unfortunately, I had only just begun infamous, so I haven't reached or found any of the parts that sets it apart yet; it just comes off very similar to prototype. I hope all you're right about it being better, because Prototype was just above average for me, and I'm looking for some great titles!

bread's done
Back