Gamesharing on the PS4: 1 Resell/1 Phantom

John Wayne

CAG Veteran
Hey guys, as you all probably know Sony has changed the way people can login with their account on the PS4. For every PSN account you now have 1 Primary console(like the PS3, everyone can play games with it), and 1 roaming console(play on every PS4 but only you can login and play your games).

This begs the question, is gamesharing finally dead?

I don't think it is although gamesharing is heavily limited on next gen. 2 resell/2phantoms will now become what I believe 1 resell/1phantom. So for a 60 bucks game 2 resells contributing 20/20 and 2 phantoms 10/10 dollar will now be split to 40/20. It remains to be seen if gamesharing with this split will remain attractive in this community.

So how would this work? The same as always, the phantom logs into the account, downloads the games and the account is deactivated through the website in which the resell makes the account primary on his own console.

First things first...

Till we know exactly how it works, we're always going to be on square one. I doubt there were people during the announcement of the current system going "Yes, but obviously I can deactivate shares via the website and get 2 more shares without anyone losing anything". With that being said, we might see "reverse" gamesharing or people who don't care still doing it. The former would be people who want trophies, so the primary would go to the other person. Since I share with a friend, it would make sense for us to use the accounts that way. I only play on Admiralvic and he only plays on his account, so the secondary on our end makes little difference. The latter would be people who don't want trophies / care what account they play on, but there are endless factors. 

Long story short, there will be a market if its possible, but there might be workarounds. 

I don't see why it would end, even if you can't split the cost as much as you can now, you will still be buying the same game for a cheaper price... Plus it's the only method you can use atm to sell and resell digital content, even if you can't split the costs when you buy the game, you can always sell it later when you are done, or making timeshares... It may not be as good as it is on ps3, doesn't mean it won't stil be good.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back