Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Megathread (PS3/PS4)

koalak

CAGiversary!
6W5gxKV.jpg

The year is 1715. Pirates rule the Caribbean and have established their own lawless Republic where corruption, greediness and cruelty are commonplace.

Among these outlaws is a brash young captain named Edward Kenway. His fight for glory has earned him the respect of legends like Blackbeard, but also drawn him into the ancient war between Assassins and Templars, a war that may destroy everything the pirates have built.

Welcome to the Golden Age of Piracy.

RESOURCES

Official Site

101 Traier

Ubisoft Blog

Wiki

Metacritic

Treasure Mao Tool

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm catching up on AC3 and Jesus Christ, I've been playing for hours and I haven't even gotten to the main character yet. I'm still the Indian teenager or whatever. When the hell do I get to ram into ships and shit?

I'm catching up on AC3 and Jesus Christ, I've been playing for hours and I haven't even gotten to the main character yet. I'm still the Indian teenager or whatever. When the hell do I get to ram into ships and shit?
AC3 starts out pretty slow, you're probably a couple hours away.

To anyone that has played it.  How's the story so far?  Better than 3 I hope.  Also, if you've played multiplayer..how's that?  I actually enjoy playing that.  I think I got to prestige 5/6 before I stopped playing.

I was hesitant at first... after Revelations I told myself I wouldn't take part in the tepid annual grind, but then I decided to give 3 a shot since it was supposed to be a re-tooled sequel. When that naturally didn't work out, I flat-out said no to Black Flag, but after hearing reviews I finally rented it late last week. I think it's pretty good, definitely second-best behind AC2. I think they've finally managed to make the stealth work well, the world feels more designed for fun and exploration, the ship battles are solid, and generally the repetitious feel is gone. The pirate story is brisk and fun, and even though the modern day story was always kinda dumb, it's weird to see them just skim over it. There are still the same old AC issues: the parkour controls will get wonky and hand-to-hand combat is still lame, but overall its an improvement. The PS3 version doesn't feel like a crippled game meant for next-gen: big beautiful vistas, decent load times, not drenched in Fog like AC3.

I picked up AC3 a week ago to get AC series another shot (could not get into AC1 or AC2, did not try the others). I really liked AC3 and finished it this morning. I'm really looking forward to playing AC4 on PS4

I may have to get AC2 another shot as it appears to be well liked. Not sure why I couldn't get into it last time.

I picked up AC3 a week ago to get AC series another shot (could not get into AC1 or AC2, did not try the others). I really liked AC3 and finished it this morning. I'm really looking forward to playing AC4 on PS4

I may have to get AC2 another shot as it appears to be well liked. Not sure why I couldn't get into it last time.
I hated AC3 but AC2 was amazing I can't explain it but I loved that game and have beaten it about 4 times now.

Ive been playing multiplayer, its really nothing i enjoy. I just need two more trophies to get platinum. Does anyone know which is the mode to play to rank up the fastest?

I tried playing wolfpack, and its okay except you get people who just rush and kill. They take no time to gain more points before the kill. I havent even been able to complete all 25 rounds because of this. If anyone wants to join up and play, but once i hit 55 im done.

As far as the single player, i really liked it. I think sailing the seas, hearing shanty songs is what really makes it more enjoyable. I liked sailing around and finding new islands to explore, probably more than actually playing the story. I think i liked the main character more than any of the others too.

This game always scratches that collectible itch.  As soon as Havana opened up I went around and collected every single item on the map.    Sadly I skipped some stuff in the very first area, so hopefully I get to go back to there later (or it may be available on the fast travel already, I haven't checked).

*EDIT*

I can definitely see where the Farcry 3 people put in their work on the hunting stuff, I'm also loving the Re4 style harpoon missions.   My biggest complaint right now is that i haaaattteeee the tavern games other than regular checkers. 

I tried playing wolfpack, and its okay except you get people who just rush and kill. They take no time to gain more points before the kill. I havent even been able to complete all 25 rounds because of this. If anyone wants to join up and play, but once i hit 55 im done.
I haven't tried wolfpack yet but i know you could solo to 25 easy on AC:3. That's what I did when everyone wasn't patient.

Why do they spawn me right in front of the hunters when playing manhunt? As soon as i spawn i hear whispers and i have no chance to hide. Then sometimes when im the hunted, i will see a hunter and go to stun him and i succeed in the animation but i end up dead anyway. I have even had one guy stun my partner, and then me after, all while im hitting square to kill this dude while he is killing my partner. Like he is invincible during the animation, and somehow can hit square before me once he is done with that animation. Then he stuns us both and runs off.

so i sunk about 20 hours into this game and im full on addicted. its so much fun sailing around the world. i love the setting and characters. theres about 2 million things to collect and it seems like there all just within reach. i like how the ship itself is basically a character, the ship combat is awesome, i love the looting and boarding other ships. just got into the whole hunting stuff and harpooning is some good fun. the one thing that i dont like is the  running. more times than not i'll be running down the street and edward will start running up the side of the wall if you cut a little to close when i want him to continue straight. besides that its a must have PS4 game for sure

so i sunk about 20 hours into this game and im full on addicted. its so much fun sailing around the world. i love the setting and characters. theres about 2 million things to collect and it seems like there all just within reach. i like how the ship itself is basically a character, the ship combat is awesome, i love the looting and boarding other ships. just got into the whole hunting stuff and harpooning is some good fun. the one thing that i dont like is the running. more times than not i'll be running down the street and edward will start running up the side of the wall if you cut a little to close when i want him to continue straight. besides that its a must have PS4 game for sure
Yeah this games single player is a blast. I know what you mean about running. One thing i hated was when i found those ships already blown up and you have so much time to loot the crates before they sink. Whenever i tried to hurry my character would end up jumping and grabbing on stuff while im just trying to run to the next crate. Because walking is too slow, but running makes him grab onto things. It kind of gets annoying. Not to mention i couldnt tell which side i had to be on to open the crate half the time lol.

I have this game but debating where to bring it back or not. My biggest question is, is it as much fun as 2 or more like 3. I loved 2 but hated 3.

I have this game but debating where to bring it back or not. My biggest question is, is it as much fun as 2 or more like 3. I loved 2 but hated 3.
I've only started memory/sequence 3 but I'm liking it more than 3 so far. I didn't mind part 3...just didn't like Connor's character..whiny bleh.

I just finished this game yesterday on PS3 and thought it was terrible.  The story, both present day and in the animus, makes no sense and is completely ridiculous. The main missions are some of the worst I've seen in an assassins creed game and most consist of just tailing a target. I can see people enjoying this game for the pirate aspects but I got my fill of the naval gameplay in Assassin Creed 3. I was really looking forward to seeing what happens next after the end of Assassins Creed 3 but this game barely touches on that.  This game would have been so much better if they didn't have to try to make this game both a pirate sim and an assassins creed game. 

The modern day storyline for AC was retarded to begin with. I play for the setting and historical crap, as well as that open-world gameplay.

I had one of the best fail states to a mission i've seen since Red Dead Redemption.  I was doing a tailing mission for one of the side quests and the target was walking up to a temple when out of nowhere a jaguar jumps out and kills him and I get desynchronized.   I immediately hit the share button and while the video screenshot showed the exact date & time it happened, when I uploaded the video to facebook the video was unfortunately from a playthrough that wasnt even on the same day. 

I wish they'd put out the companion app for the Kindle Fire or maybe do a web version.  I've basically been using my vita to manage my fleet, but it requires me to turn on my PS4 each time I want to do remote play to manage it.

How do you setup the vita as a companion app?  I've played it as a controller but when I set it as a second screen. Nothing happens for me?  

How do you setup the vita as a companion app? I've played it as a controller but when I set it as a second screen. Nothing happens for me?
I have to play it as a controller. There unfortunately is no other way to do it unless you have an Android/ios tablet. Sadly the Kindle Fire is left in the dust again. You'd think with the ACinitiates website they could throw in access to your fleet, but apparently they don't even have the PS4 version attached to the program since they don't consider the game as out until the 29th.

If anyone wants to add me so we can get some faster fleet missions (every friend that plays online speeds up the missions). My GT is in my sig.

I have to play it as a controller. There unfortunately is no other way to do it unless you have an Android/ios tablet. Sadly the Kindle Fire is left in the dust again. You'd think with the ACinitiates website they could throw in access to your fleet, but apparently they don't even have the PS4 version attached to the program since they don't consider the game as out until the 29th.

If anyone wants to add me so we can get some faster fleet missions (every friend that plays online speeds up the missions). My GT is in my sig.
Thanks. I did go to that site but unfortunately my tablet isn't supported either. You'd expect my galaxy note 8 would work too.

I've gotta say, I was ready to be done with AC since they keep milking this franchise but the innovation this game brings is a breath of fresh air (if a bit salty ;)).  The controls still suck beyond belief yet the sandbox gameplay and core mechanics just suck me in.  Some of the scenery that is actually tuned for PS4 (and not just ported from PS3) looks downright photo-realistic.  The ocean swelling and waves crashing against the hull have to be seen to be believed.  There is a particular mission I just did that takes you through a jungle and opens up to a waterfall, one that absolutely nails the spray careening down the cliff.  It was the first screenshot I've taken with the share button so far, it was incredible.

Still, graphics are nothing without immersion and the world they've crafted this time sells a pirate's life is for you.  I can't find a single fault in any of the systems they've managed this time; in a word it's a masterpiece.  That said, if all this is awash for you then the main story and missions will fall flat.  I'm not very far in but the AI is still completely clueless, the missions are bland (same old kill, tail, or pillage), and so far the story is just another chapter in assassins vs templars blah blah blah (complimented at least by great VO/mocap work that we've come to expect from Ubisoft).  Still, I can think of worse ways to herald in the new generation, like playing Killzone.

There is a particular mission I just did that takes you through a jungle and opens up to a waterfall, one that absolutely nails the spray careening down the cliff. It was the first screenshot I've taken with the share button so far, it was incredible.
Care to share that photo? Can you post it in these forums?

Care to share that photo? Can you post it in these forums?
Here's the thing: I think photos can only be shared via twitter/facebook. I have neither and AFAIK you can't transfer them via USB or email it to yourself as an attachment. I could take a pic of it on my shitty phone camera but that's just disingenuous. I really, really hope they release a patch to save these things on a thumb drive. Also, developers need to be more aware they're on a PC now and let us disable UI for screens. Even Dragon's Dogma took screens sans the UI without any user input required, and that's on PS3.

In short, would love to but can't due to limitations.

Anybody getting in on the multiplayer on PS4? I guess spreading the game across 4 platforms doesn't do any favors for the player-base.
I havent read up on the multiplayer but did they add pirate ship battles to AC IV or is it pretty much like the last ones?

I've been loving this on the Playstation 4. Playing as a pirate is a blast, I enjoy building my fleet of pirate ships, the world is ridiculously gorgeous and I think the main thing they need to work on in Assassin's Creed 2015 is character animations. You can still tell the character models and animals are still made with the last generation in mind, but once they get past that it should look even better.

Think I just broke the game lol.  There was a level 60 man-o-war (the Santa Ana!) taking heavy fire from a bunch of ships, so I just waited like a shark circling prey and closed in for the kill.  Ended up having to canon it twice before boarding and now I have a ship in my fleet that just one-shots everything rofl.  Now I'm wondering if I could bait a legendary ship into following me and getting it shot to hell by nearby fleets to do the same thing.  :lol:

Think I just broke the game lol. There was a level 60 man-o-war (the Santa Ana!) taking heavy fire from a bunch of ships, so I just waited like a shark circling prey and closed in for the kill. Ended up having to canon it twice before boarding and now I have a ship in my fleet that just one-shots everything rofl. Now I'm wondering if I could bait a legendary ship into following me and getting it shot to hell by nearby fleets to do the same thing. :lol:
Haha nice. I need to find the ships to try it.

I dont think you can lure legendary ships into regular waters. Those battles are pretty fun, and its nice that each one is different.

Im 13,000 xp away from getting my platinum, then ill finish it off by playing the extra hour of content that PS3 versions get. After that i will probably try to sell or trade it.

Just beat my first legendary ship that had armor plating (unless they all do) and DAMN that was fun.  Basically if you know enough about warships/galleons, you'd know that the aft is super vulnerable and the same applied here.  Super challenging fight though to outwit the AI and baiting all mortars/cannon fire then just pulling the sails while everything whiffs past.  My ship isn't even fully upgraded, so I'm sure it's entirely possible to beat them with bare bones if you're super skilled at it.  At any rate, I hope they do more stuff like this in the future for AC to really test your skills.  I died probably a dozen times before I got that one perfect run of barely getting hit.  Getting caught in a broadside volley is pretty much death versus them, so it takes a bit of practice to perfect.

I'll have to remember to record the next ship I fight, because it's epic!

Just finished the extra 60 min Aveline DLC that the PS3 gets exclusive. Lets just say xbox 360 fans arent missing much.

Guess its time to start Batman Origins now.

I think exclusive content is stupid TBH.  It doesn't influence my purchase at all, ever.

Pre-order bonuses such as $10 credits however, definitely do. ;)

Is it my imagination or are the 100% completion constraints tougher this time around?  Is everything a little bit harder?  I've found myself failing extra objectives and dying considerably more frequently than in AC3.

Tougher?  No.  At least in this game you can just kill yourself if you fail an objective to reset it.  In all of the others if you failed, you had to start allllllllllllllllll over again.

im curious if any of you have been messing around on the acinitiates.com  site. it was broke for a little while but it finally synched PS4 data. its kind of fun doing missions and leveling up so you can get little things like an extra in game mission or some jackdaw upgrades. and by the way im pretty bad at MP im always toward the bottom but i still havent tried wolfpack mode.

I haven't.  I saw it in the little blog roll of a menu they have for this game but didn't care to check it out.  Is that what speeds up the ship missions?  I keep being told by the game to play with friends to speed up trading missions since some of them literally take a day and a half to do IRL hours, but can't be fussed to check it out.  I'm in the top 5000 players now for most booty, so it's not like I care about the money from them anyway lol.

Yeah i never signed up for the acinitiates. I did do ship missions every day, but never really had a problem with not having enough money. My biggest problem was finding enough metal from other ships. But that all rolled in once i progressed enough to get into the hard waters, and my ship was capable of handling harder ships. The naval mini game was pretty fun.

A bit late to the party just started playing it on PS3, its a ton of fun so far, I even do not mind the tutorial scenes this time, I think they really did a great job to make this franchise/series even better and get rid of all/most annoyances the best they could. Absolutely love the whales. Really hope this sells/sold well so far. 

bread's done
Back