OTT Down the Toilet: What Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We use the bucket. Didn't Chris Rock teach you guys anything?

Getting cold feet about keeping my PS4 pre-order. Just don't know if it is worth laying down 500 plus dollars on a system with one exclusive game I want to play. I might just wait and get it after Christmas.

Getting cold feet about keeping my PS4 pre-order. Just don't know if it is worth laying down 500 plus dollars on a system with one exclusive game I want to play. I might just wait and get it after Christmas.
I'd lay low on both of them for a year or so to see how it shakes out. I don't see a good reason to jump on either.

The new Dual Shock feels really good in the hands.  The triggers have a nice response to them and the touch pad is very comfortably placed.  The analog sticks are a little lower than I'm used to but it's not uncomfortable, just different.

I'm on the fence about my PS4 preorder as welll.  On one hand, I enough Amazon credit for it, but on the other, the launch lineup is pretty weak with Watch Dogs getting delayed.  I might wait until next summer for Destiny and Watch Dogs instead.

Supposedly the new dual shock is really nice.
The new Dual Shock feels really good in the hands. The triggers have a nice response to them and the touch pad is very comfortably placed. The analog sticks are a little lower than I'm used to but it's not uncomfortable, just different.
For me it's the position of the sticks. I really hate how they are on the same line.. I much prefer the staggered xbox controller.

i need at least a year just to finish off my ps3 plus content. in the meantime im gathering ps4 stuff i cant touch.

I've thought about going PC, but the initial price to get a decent enough computer to last me the next few years of games is just way too high.

The one time i can afford to buy myself a console at launch and I'm not even interested at all. Might have something to do with college wasting all my time.

So, to build a Steam machine that would play something like Batman: Arkham Origins, and that would not go obsolete in a year...how much you looking at?

They haven't announced costs for Steambox yet, so it's all conjecture.  To get a blazing PC that will only go to mid-range in a few years you're probably looking at around $1500.

For me it's the position of the sticks. I really hate how they are on the same line.. I much prefer the staggered xbox controller.
+1 - symmetric analog sticks ruin the game play experience or me. I think I am sitting consoles out until maybe 2nd quarter of next year- this video editing rig I am building should double as a nice gaming rig until then.

Why, 'ello, 'ello...

Solid plan. For me, since I only have a passing interest in Killzone: Shadowfall, the biggest draw is the idea that I can use my Vita like a WiiU controller. But even that's not really a selling point if the PS4 library doesn't have titles that interest me. I'm planning on waiting at least a year, but even more likely I'll be waiting until a hardware revision or price cut this time around. Let the library get large (and cheaper too) while piling up the PS+ PS4 freebies and make sure the HW is stable. After 2 RRODs and 2 dying PS3s, I am no longer in the console beta testing business.

I'd lay low on both of them for a year or so to see how it shakes out. I don't see a good reason to jump on either.
Sage advice. :)

I've thought about going PC, but the initial price to get a decent enough computer to last me the next few years of games is just way too high.
This is where I'm headed... just need the mobo/RAM/gfx card. If you pick up pieces here and there, it's not that bad.

And when you figure, if your processor is decent enough that you can probably just upgrade some parts as they need it when games come out and you want to keep pushing max settings, you're still ahead of the game. The best part is everything is upgradeable/replaceable. So even if you end up buying a new graphics card a few years down the line, you can likely get a really swanky one for less than the cost of a new console at launch.

I'm currently looking at a geForce 770 -- which comes with 3 brand new games that I can likely sell for about $80 and then re-buy the ones I want on Steam during a sale a year down the line. I could be wrong, but it seems to run most of the recent PC titles at highest settings without breaking a sweat -- not bad for $250.

I could be wrong here, but a lot of times, the games that are coming to PC are also tied to consoles, with the lead platform (for this gen, at least) being x360. That should also mitigate your experience on PC to at least be equivalent to the worst console port for a good window.

I think my current build will come in around $1000... but it probably could've been cheaper if I had waited for Black Friday deals instead of just taking the best of the sales as components hit prices I was comfortable with.

+1 - symmetric analog sticks ruin the game play experience or me. I think I am sitting consoles out until maybe 2nd quarter of next year- this video editing rig I am building should double as a nice gaming rig until then.
Do you have bigger hands?

I think a lot of the complaints I've ever seen about the symmetrical sticks revolve around people with bigger hands not having enough thumb clearance, if that makes sense.

At least with PC gaming, it looks like there are a LOT of options you can use to get your preferred controller running. I really wanted to use my DS3 on my PC, but it sounds like a pain in the ass to get up and running... so I just ordered a DS4, since that seems to work well as a "wireless" controller... but if you stick with PC, then you can use a 360 (or presumably Xbone) controller too.

The 770 is a 680 right? If you are going 1080p it shouldn't be too bad, but any res higher and you will need to SLI. My 670's run at 1200mhz at full load and Batman probably still dips from time to time for me.

The time change has really killed our sleep habits. Not that these kids were good sleepers to begin with, but dear god....

The 770 is a 680 right? If you are going 1080p it shouldn't be too bad, but any res higher and you will need to SLI. My 670's run at 1200mhz at full load and Batman probably still dips from time to time for me.
1080p is fine -- my main goal is to have it act like superconsole -- so as long as it looks good on my 42" LED TV, I'm happy. 1080p should be adequate, I think.

Worst case, I can add a second 770 and do SLI down the road.

Do you have bigger hands?

I think a lot of the complaints I've ever seen about the symmetrical sticks revolve around people with bigger hands not having enough thumb clearance, if that makes sense.

At least with PC gaming, it looks like there are a LOT of options you can use to get your preferred controller running. I really wanted to use my DS3 on my PC, but it sounds like a pain in the ass to get up and running... so I just ordered a DS4, since that seems to work well as a "wireless" controller... but if you stick with PC, then you can use a 360 (or presumably Xbone) controller too.
That is a big part of it. My hands are large, but not giant. Indeed, I do bump thumb tips circle-strafing (and even during other motions if the analog sticks have convex tops and I am pressing them more toward the middle of my thumb pad) and an asymmetric layout is just more comfortable and intuitive for me- I know many left-handers that hate it though.

I've always played much more competitively with a mouse and keyboard anyways- with a controller I am mediocre at best. I was actually stunned when Nintendo regressed with a symmetric layout last then and again this gen with the popularity the wavebird had- I've ranted about this before but it seems to be a step backwards in terms of ergonomics for the grown-up gamer demographic.

I feel like I missed out on the PC resurgences, so I am hoping to take advantage of this build and jump back in. The problem is finding the time and getting it built.

Anyone watching OitNB? I was losing interest until I watched the finale-

Last edited by a moderator:
Metal Gear in the Spring is making the decision to cancel my PS4 pre-order harder.

Is there anything special to the first edition? If not, then wait.
Pretty much.

Even so, it's not out for another what... 5-6 months?
Is there any reason to believe that a ps4/xbone console won't be available the day it releases?

I've always played much more competitively with a mouse and keyboard anyways- with a controller I am mediocre at best. I was actually stunned when Nintendo regressed with a symmetric layout last then and again this gen with the popularity the wavebird had- I've ranted about this before but it seems to be a step backwards in terms of ergonomics for the grown-up gamer demographic.
Regressed for you, maybe. Luckily, not so for me... while I don't have a huge preference with the stick placement so much as button quality/button placement/trigger design, etc.

That said, you've got to remember, on the average, I think the average Japanese gamer has smaller hands than an American gamer* (like 96% of all statistics, I'm pulling this out of left field... however, I think there's some truth to it).
Think about it. Sony? Japanese company. Nintendo? Japanese company. Microsoft? American company.
It's no surprise that Microsoft previously captured the American gamer demographic by trying to cater specifically to them.

I need to get a new PS3 Dualshock. Mine's had far too many throws and drops. L2 button doesnt work any more. I've never had any problem with the thumb stick placement. And I have big hands. (Large to XL gloves, usually). Of course, I don't play too many FPS.

My couch to 5k training is going pretty shitty. Wife will probably blow me away when we do our 5k fun run in December.

Having not used Android since an entry level phone with 2.2, I played with a newer Nexus or Galaxy at Best Buy the other day and really liked it.  Split screen is excellent.

Having not used Android since an entry level phone with 2.2, I played with a newer Nexus or Galaxy at Best Buy the other day and really liked it. Split screen is excellent.
Yeah, it's come a long way -- I have a galaxy S3 and like it a lot (but split screen isn't that useful on it... not a lot of my apps support it and the 4.8" screen is pretty small for that).

COD slipped under the radar for me. I might get it if I decide to impulsively buy an xbone or PS4 at launch. Only reason to buy a console for me is killer instinct, and even then that's not much of a reason.

COD slipped under the radar for me. I might get it if I decide to impulsively buy an xbone or PS4 at launch. Only reason to buy a console for me is killer instinct, and even then that's not much of a reason.
I agree about KI. And even if it was somehow a more convincing reason, there's always the worry about some of the rumours (CBOAT stuff) and the 180s they pulled on DRM and the like... I always thought the series should be revived, but it's really not looking like it's for me any more. :(

A Rare Frosty appears!!!!

:wave:

__

I too am undecided as to whether or not Im keeping my XB1/PS4 pre-orders, and just getting a 27" 1440P monitor, since I just did the whole PC upgrade: 

Windows 7 (Hooray!)

i7-4930K Extreme Edition - Ivy Bridge

16Gb RAM

2 - GTX 760's (SLI)

4TB HD (Raid0) - I probably went on the cheap here.  Needed the space, not the speed of a SSD.

Blu-Ray Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back