Boston retro vintage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 destro4eva

destro4eva

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

Any decent retro/vintage/independent Video game stores in and around Boston worth checking out? 

I've got a cousin going up there and wanted him to do some scouting around for me. 

Figured you CAGs would be able to help him out. 

Thanks all

#2 yobaburp

yobaburp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:54 PM

There is Sudden Impact in Winthrop,MA. Dom is the owner he's a pretty nice guy to deal with give's a lot in store credit compared to other's and he carries a ton of retro stuff. I need to hit the place one more time before winter comes, I sill have over $200 in store credit i need to use up.

#3 Punisher138

Punisher138

Cthulhu Fhtagn!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

There is also Game Underground in on Route 9 in Framingham, MA.  Cool little place.

Link

Posted Image

#4 kit352

kit352

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:09 AM

I like Game Underground personally.  They have a good selection of older games and systems.

#5 Dokstarr

Dokstarr

Tap, Snap or Nap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:10 AM

Have any new places opened the last year or so? There use to be lots of fighting on craigslist between the stores that was pretty fun to watch.

I think I will have to check out Game Underground in Framingham. According to their site they have some arcade machines there. To get me to go to a retro store they need to have something to hook me. 99% of retro stores have bad prices, so they need something to get me in there. There was one down in Warwick that was pretty cool looking about 2 years ago, but it never seemed to get going and closed up shop.

A few machines set up (pay machines are fine) would be enough to get me to go somewhere pretty regularly just to check out stuff and drop some money in the machines. Especially since Good Times and Tokyo Game Action are long long gone and sadly the drive to Funspot is just so long.

As for Sudden Impact - in my opinion it is okay or meh. It suffers from the same problems a lot of the stores do, there is just tons of junk everywhere (and no space). Tubs full of systems, etc. You can't even walk around the place. I also don't think the guy really knows much about games (I'm sure he's learned a bit by selling them now) because his ads use to always read like someone just reading off titles. I gots all the marios, final fantasies, zeldas, earthbounds, etc. Also toss in all the other stuff and just becomes like a junk store - zuzu pets, silly bands, etc.

I haven't been in there for a year since I moved out of town though - so my review is a little dated. I actually thought he might've been gone because I didn't see them at Anime Boston this year, but they were at PAX.

#6 DOMEWF

DOMEWF

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:29 AM

Sudden Impact has been in business for over 6 years. People frequent the store from all over the world. Check out the stores facebook page regarding all the places folks travel from to visit! The best testament to a store front is repeat business,and Sudden Impact has a huge and loyal following of people who know a LOT about gaming.

Dokstarr,I find your comments pathetic,untrue and insulting.I gots all the marios and junk store??? The guy doesnt know much about games?Tons of junk everywhere?

Just in yesterday from a collector over 350 more nes games=no sports titles in this lot. Some really rare Turbo Grafx games came in yesterday as well. Tuesday some new/sealed Ps1 games came in...Final Fantasy 7-Parasite Eve...more. Also a huge lot from a former Irrational games employee just arrived.Lots of Rare developer related stuff here!  New/sealed Sega Dreamcasts, Brand new R.O.B. boxed. New & used Snes-Nes-N64 consoles & games.Sega Saturns boxed & loose.

check us out at  http://www.suddenimp...comcastbiz.net/

At this time I would like to thank everyone who frequents the store and our booth at Pax East every year. And Many thanx to all the educated gamers who make Sudden Impact a regular stop on thier hunt for Retro greatness!

Dom Cerulli owner Sudden Impact Winthrop Mass