Photo
* * * * - 59 votes

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked: $120 for 2 years ($30 for current/recent members), 20% off new games, extends to current members!

• Please log in to reply
4532 replies to this topic

#61 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:16 AM

at the end of the day i think we can all agree that if the current option isnt done away with then this news wont be a big deal to us
Currently playing
:ps4: blacklight retribution, mlb 14, lego marvel, the transistor, contrast, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: new super mario bros u, zelda ww hd

games recently beaten: :ps4: watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, murdered soul suspect :vita: final fantasy x hd, :wiiu: donkey kong tropical freeze

#62 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:16 AM

Sorry that none of you can find a way to benefit from this but I certainly will.

Also a little disappointed at how poor the reading comprehension is in this thread. Nowhere did it say the 20% only applied to new releases. I do see where it says "new games".

I buy enough "new games" from BB where I will most likely save $120 by April of next year.

Now the $15 doesn't sound so bad does it bottom feeders?

We are not all resellers.

Posted Image

#63 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:17 AM

Why are you only factoring in $60 games? Why not $40 games? Why not $150 CE's? How much would I save off the $250 Titanfall CE?

Do you think they are going to never offer a promotion ever again? What if the 20% stacks with the advertised promotions?

Because it doesn't matter what the game's price is, all that matters is the price you pay with the discount vs the cheapest price you could have purchased it elsewhere.  Think about it, the total you pay to break even isn't at all relevant to the cost of the game.  6 games at $10 each is still $60 except you'll save $2 off of each for a total of $12 savings or 1 game for $60 that will give you $12 savings.  20% is 20% is 20%.

edit:

As to your second question, Best Buy is far too YMMV for anything that involves stacking discounts.

#64 Silent Hell

Silent Hell

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:17 AM

Sorry that none of you can find a way to benefit from this but I certainly will.

Also a little disappointed at how poor the reading comprehension is in this thread. Nowhere did it say the 20% only applied to new releases. I do see where it says "new games".

I buy enough "new games" from BB where I will most likely save $120 by April of next year.

Now the $15 doesn't sound so bad does it bottom feeders?

Why are you only factoring in $60 games? Why not $40 games? Why not $150 CE's? How much would I save off the $250 Titanfall CE?

Do you think they are going to never offer a promotion ever again? What if the 20% stacks with the advertised promotions?

This a real person, or some kind of bot?

#65 ThatOneGuyWho

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:20 AM

It's so easy to get a game for 20% off at launch its not even funny. Fuck BestBuy. I will not be renewing my membership at all. My membership ends in October though. Am I out of luck when May comes around?

#66 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

I'm sorry but it is semi entertaining to see the same people who bitched about the $15 for GCU memberships, whom would then beg for coupons, now bitch about a program that they don't even know all the details about who ALSO can't distinguish between the different meanings of "new games" and new releases.

At least you're consistent.

#67 Statix

Statix

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

I'm in Cali, and sales tax kills most new game deals anyway. I almost never buy any new game local and/or retail, unless it's a really good sale.

#68 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

That guy with the creepy signature

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:23 AM

Really want to see what they do with those of us that already have a sub. Im good till sep 2014 atm.

And I'm good until Sept 2015 (supposedly). We'll see...

Well if anyone plans on biting, feel free to PM me your phone number, i'll use it for the 20% off, and you can get the points. 

This! In fact, share it will all of CAG.

Would a CAG get permabanned by Best Buy after he shares his phone number with all of CAG? They need to make $120 subscription holders show a driver's license or "$120 Gamer's Unlocked Reward card" or something in-store. Imagine if suddenly thousands of people started saving 20% off of games from one person's account. This person would have more than $120 in rewardzone certificates in no time.

just kidding guys

Open spoiler at your own risk.

You have been Warned!

Spoiler

#69 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:23 AM

I'm in Cali, and sales tax kills most new game deals anyway. I almost never buy any new game local and/or retail, unless it's a really good sale.

But Amazon charges tax so tax is inevitable when buying launch titles. 20% is nice nut the cost of admission is simply too high! unless there are epic money making coupons like the golden age of GCU.

Mathematically Correct.
Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#70 Hemi

Hemi

One with the never-ending backlog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:25 AM

This doesn't seem all that great at first but just maybe after you do the math, it's got some long term returns....

• B2G1: @ 3x$50 = $50 return
  • Extra 10% on Trades = $15-30/yr in returns for an avg flip/trader
  • 20% off new games = $12/unit * ~4-6 purchases yr for an avg buyer

$50 + $20 + $48 = $116

Will you use the B2G1 on newer tities (ps4/xbone?), trade about $200 worth over a calendar yr and buy 4 more games new? There's your break even. The rest is money back in your pocket.

Actually, here is the thing... the b2g1 is not considered $50, because that would imply that the two other games are WORTH $50 each, that would cost you $100 to use the coupon and "get" a $50 game for "free" if you were to try and sell the two games and break even well good job, you broke even, at best you usually can only get $40 for a game on trade in, under ideal circumstances. (so at BEST you "make" $20. Plus you fail to realize that right now FREE members, are getting $10 in RZ points, per preorder/purchase for most games coming out, amazon offers that all the time as well for FREE. The 20% off only is better by $2... TWO DOLLARS. Arguably it wouldnt be that bad if the two stacked but this is BB and I can't see them offering new games for $38.

This is just a blatent move to profit. It would take over $1200 in games at BASE value to break even when trading games.

Pretty much any way you look at it this is worse than the current offer, the "20% off new games" offer they have, does not justify the $120 (THAT IS the cost alone for TWO BRAND NEW MSRP GAMES!)...

#71 Saix_XIII

Saix_XIII

Video Game Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:27 AM

And I'm good until Sept 2015 (supposedly). We'll see...

This! In fact, share it will all of CAG.

Would a CAG get permabanned by Best Buy after he shares his phone number with all of CAG? They need to make $120 subscription holders show a driver's license or "$120 Gamer's Unlocked Reward card" or something in-store. Imagine if suddenly thousands of people started saving 20% off of games from one person's account. This person would have more than $120 in rewardzone certificates in no time.

just kidding guys

It is impossible the share a RZ account for trade-ins. Due to needing to sign for it and show ID, the name will not match the records.

532919.pngsig.gif

Repetition in a game is NOT a bad thing, almost all games are repetitive. What matters is if YOU enjoy the game, then the repetition becomes enjoyable and doesn't feel monotonous or boring.
My Trade List

#72 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:27 AM

But Amazon charges tax so tax is inevitable when buying launch titles. 20% is nice nut the cost of admission is simply too high! unless there are epic money making coupons like the golden age of GCU.

The price is way too high.  At that price point very few people are going to sign up.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see discounts on this program in a few months because they get so few subscribers.  Then if they still can't get people to do it, they'll probably just cancel it.  They're trying to find a way to get people into their store without losing money.

#73 Whinterfell

Whinterfell

Games are Coming.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:28 AM

Because it doesn't matter what the game's price is, all that matters is the price you pay with the discount vs the cheapest price you could have purchased it elsewhere.  Think about it, the total you pay to break even isn't at all relevant to the cost of the game.  6 games at $10 each is still $60 except you'll save $2 off of each for a total of $12 savings or 1 game for $60 that will give you $12 savings.  20% is 20% is 20%.

That is exactly what I was thinking when reading this thread.  No matter the cost of your games that you buy, $1 to $60 to $250 CE you will still have to spend $600 more at Best Buy to break even.  If they offered this for 1 year at $60 I can see a lot of people that buy new games getting this.  Hell I just bought Pokemon Y, Batman, GTA V, and soon to be getting BF4 and CoD Ghosts.  That right there is worth it to get to me alone because of all the random smaller games I buy.  But not for the two year price.

Best Buy has been dropping trade in prices, forgoing a lot of new sales, and hoping people buy from then.  Everything thing they are doing now is moving normal customers away and building up their elite customers that spend tons of money.  But that isn't going to last them for long.  I even worked for them for a while before moving on.  And this was exactly what they wanted, for people to be hooked on buying from just them with their cards, and now this.  When in reality, most people don't go out and spend $400 or $600 on games a year.  

CAGSigsmall.png

#74 kickrockz713

kickrockz713

Adult Swim. August 7th. 11/10c

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:29 AM

Employee: Would you like to save 20% on your new game purchase?
Customer: Sure!
Employee: Well, if you sign up for our Gamers Club Unlocked program, you can do just that!
Customer: Okay, how much is it?
Employee: Only $120 for 2 years.
Customer: peter-cosby.gif

Fuck ing awesome! Lol

rsz_3james_harden_jh.png677547.pngrsz_jj_watt_texans_2012.jpg

Playing: :xb1: UFC   :ps4: Nothing   :wiiu: Pikmin 3   :360: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   :ps3: Beyond Two Souls   :3ds: Pokemon Y   :vita: J&D TPL

#75 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:30 AM

at the end of the day i think we can all agree that if the current option isnt done away with then this news wont be a big deal to us

Agreed. I like the $15 program. It's amazing how much that extra 10% in trade in value has benefited me and several other CAGs in 2013...

I couldn't give less of a Fuck about magazines or coupons or 10% off preowned games.

#flippers :error:

This a real person, or some kind of bot?

Head of marketing at Best Buy.

You have been Warned!

Spoiler

#76 mark_IV

mark_IV

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Here's the important question. With all of the problems with trades, getting the GCU discounts + bonuses and difficulties with the GCU coupons in combination with uneducated employees would you want to put up $120.00 hoping the program will change? The way it stands right now unless updates are make to their computer system this is still the same broken program. Every time Best Buy takes a step forward it seems they take two steps back. I understand why they do it from a business standpoint but it sucks for the customer when they have to work for their discounts.

I can't wait to see all the hate on the unboxed forums and how the community connectors sell a $120.00 program if this is in fact the case.

#77 247

We are not all resellers.

^

#78 mgford11

mgford11

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:31 AM

Actually, here is the thing... the b2g1 is not considered $50, because that would imply that the two other games are WORTH $50 each, that would cost you $100 to use the coupon and "get" a $50 game for "free" if you were to try and sell the two games and break even well good job, you broke even, at best you usually can only get $40 for a game on trade in, under ideal circumstances. (so at BEST you "make" $20. Plus you fail to realize that right now FREE members, are getting $10 in RZ points, per preorder/purchase for most games coming out, amazon offers that all the time as well for FREE. The 20% off only is better by $2... TWO DOLLARS. Arguably it wouldnt be that bad if the two stacked but this is BB and I can't see them offering new games for $38.

This is just a blatent move to profit. It would take over $1200 in games at BASE value to break even when trading games.

Pretty much any way you look at it this is worse than the current offer, the "20% off new games" offer they have, does not justify the $120 (THAT IS the cost alone for TWO BRAND NEW MSRP GAMES!)...

tumblr_inline_mq5ikqLMTN1qz4rgp.gif

#79 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:32 AM

It is impossible the share a RZ account for trade-ins. Due to needing to sign for it and show ID, the name will not match the records.

I have no fucking clue what you are talking about. I was joking about everyone on CAG saving 20% off of new game purchases using only a small number of accounts.

(a very implausible circumstance, i agree...)

You have been Warned!

Spoiler

#80 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:32 AM

That is exactly what I was thinking when reading this thread.  No matter the cost of your games that you buy, $1 to $60 to $250 CE you will still have to spend $600 more at Best Buy to break even.  If they offered this for 1 year at $60 I can see a lot of people that buy new games getting this.  Hell I just bought Pokemon Y, Batman, GTA V, and soon to be getting BF4 and CoD Ghosts.  That right there is worth it to get to me alone because of all the random smaller games I buy.  But not for the two year price.

Best Buy has been dropping trade in prices, forgoing a lot of new sales, and hoping people buy from then.  Everything thing they are doing now is moving normal customers away and building up their elite customers that spend tons of money.  But that isn't going to last them for long.  I even worked for them for a while before moving on.  And this was exactly what they wanted, for people to be hooked on buying from just them with their cards, and now this.  When in reality, most people don't go out and spend $400 or $600 on games a year.  

Exactly, and when you take into consideration the prices you could have paid WITHOUT a membership by shopping at the cheapest store and suddenly you're paying a lot more to break even.

#81 Lord Hamm

Lord Hamm

Give me a Dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:33 AM

What a joke. You would have to spend 600 dollars in new games to just break even

I don't even think the white knight Best Buy apologizers can damage control this bullshit

Posted Image
Posted Image

#82 jr1016

jr1016

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:35 AM

This is a great deal if you can have 10 CAGs put $12 each and use 1 phone number that we can all use then it wouldn't be too bad. ;)

Dariel16.png

#83 Statix

Statix

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:37 AM

Which is why I haven't bought a game from Amazon since 2011. Although I do have Call of Duty: Ghosts (PS4) on preorder from them, but that's because I had $15 in promo coupons that were expiring.

Nowadays, I get the my games from either Gamefly or GoHastings used. No sales tax, and super cheap.

#84 MRW2276

MRW2276

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Another aspect they better fix (if charging $120). Is they need to stop the banning BS on trades. If I'm paying this much and am suppose to get an extra 10% in trade as a perk I damn well better 1) be able to trade without fear of ban, and 2) not have to remind the cashier 20 times to apply the 10% bonus.

#85 Gregtastic

Gregtastic

What I don't get:

This deal sucks. OK, that's one thing. Companies always try and get one over on people. But I feel this would sell SO much better if it was $60 for one year and not $120/2 years. A lot of uniformed people will bite on a $60 price but I doubt anyone will jump on $120/2 years. It is about $60 more than people would be willing to spend an an extra year over what people would want.

EDIT: I'm more commenting on the confusion with Best Buy's potential marketing on this vs. the membership making any sense (because it doesnt)

Follow @num1greg
TrueAchievements
XBL: Gregtastic

#86 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:38 AM

This is a great deal if you can have 10 CAGs put $12 each and use 1 phone number that we can all use then it wouldn't be too bad. ;)

;)  Ok, we got two. Now we just need 8 more... ;)

;)  Verified paypal accounts only please... ;)

edit: man I'm tired.

You have been Warned!

Spoiler

#87 BiggyP2P

BiggyP2P

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:39 AM

I'll look in to this tomorrow when I'm at work.

#88 Whinterfell

Whinterfell

Games are Coming.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:40 AM

Exactly, and when you take into consideration the prices you could have paid WITHOUT a membership by shopping at the cheapest store and suddenly you're paying a lot more to break even.

Not just that.  Most games now have sales and savings not long after launch.  Most stores like Gamestop (I know everyone thinks they are evil and ruin the gaming world but hell they have some of the best deals at times), TRU, Kmart, and hell even Target at times all have better and lower priced deals.

On release of Pokemon X and Y I bought them at TRU when they had the buy 1 get 1 40% off.  And if you pre ordered them you got $10 gift cards.  So I got both games for about $60 and got $20 in gift cards.  Means I got a good price, I am spending more money then I would have there normally, and I will be back to buy stuff again.  Same thing with Gamestop and BF4 and Ghosts.  Have old pokemon games that are years old but they are offering a trade in two games get a new one for $9.99.  So I getting both of them for $20.

Best Buy is a store where the online market as well as more traversed stores are passing them in sales and in customer support.  They say they are their for the knowledge as well as the experience.  But half the time I go in their and know more then the employees that work there.  Even when I did work for them I prided myself in knowing what I was saying and giving people the best advice and deals.

CAGSigsmall.png

#89 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:43 AM

Not just that.  Most games now have sales and savings not long after launch.  Most stores like Gamestop (I know everyone thinks they are evil and ruin the gaming world but hell they have some of the best deals at times), TRU, Kmart, and hell even Target at times all have better and lower priced deals.

On release of Pokemon X and Y I bought them at TRU when they had the buy 1 get 1 40% off.  And if you pre ordered them you got $10 gift cards.  So I got both games for about $60 and got $20 in gift cards.  Means I got a good price, I am spending more money then I would have there normally, and I will be back to buy stuff again.  Same thing with Gamestop and BF4 and Ghosts.  Have old pokemon games that are years old but they are offering a trade in two games get a new one for $9.99.  So I getting both of them for $20.

Best Buy is a store where the online market as well as more traversed stores are passing them in sales and in customer support.  They say they are their for the knowledge as well as the experience.  But half the time I go in their and know more then the employees that work there.  Even when I did work for them I prided myself in knowing what I was saying and giving people the best advice and deals.

You got $10 Gift Cards for preordering Pokemon X/Y from TRU?

#90 mitch079

mitch079

Microsoft, trollin' like Doink on Crush.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:44 AM

What a joke. You would have to spend 600 dollars in new games to just break even

I don't even think the white knight Best Buy apologizers can damage control this bullshit

How hard is it to do that?  I've spent over $300 on new games this year online at Best Buy on 25 games and it's just been on Deals of the Day and good sales.  We haven't hit Black Friday yet either.  That doesn't include anything I may have picked up B&M.  

the_it_crowd_moss.jpgdefault.png