CAGcast #343: A Fan of Yours

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Wombat is a man of the people, CheapyD is right again, and Shipwreck brings us the latest PS4 developments from Target.
Download (72 minutes) - iTunes -
https://soundcloud.com/cheapyd/cagcast-343-a-fan-of-yours

GoDaddy Web Hosting & Domain Registration Coupon Codes!
Get a $2.49 GoDaddy domain registration with code CAG249
32% off for all customers with code 32off1
$4 .com registration with 1 year privacy with code FREE9

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro (Major Lazer: Playground) - Outro (Tokyo Disney Halloween Street)

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Valve's Steam Machine case would be classified either as a Mini-Tower or Media Center PC. You can buy the cases and build your own from Microcenter and there are Gaming PC Companies that sell similar machines. You can buy the "Revolt" from iBUYPOWERPC and Gamestop from $549-2000+ and the Alienware x51 for $699-1800. They're both console sized and the x51 in particular is about identical size to the original PS3.

I'm still unsure who the Steam Machine is for... To me it still seems better to just have a Multi-Media Center PC.

PS4/Xbox One sales I'm aware of from now until Black Friday

Next Week: Buy 2 Games, Get 1 Free @ Target 

Pre-Black Friday: Skylanders: Swap Force $37.49 on Thanksgiving 5-9pm @ Toys R Us (All platforms, including PS4/Xbox One)

Thanksgiving-Black Friday: Spend $75, get a $10 Gift Card @ Toys R US

Thanksgiving-Day After Black Friday: Buy 1 Video Game, Get 40% Off @ Toys R Us (All platforms, including PS4/Xbox One)

(I also suspect that Target will be doing a few of these buy 2, get 1 sales from now until Christmas. They do every year.)

I guess what always got me about Cheapy and Xbox One is that you hate the original Kinect more than I do. I actually have it out and I loved the hell out of those Dance Central games, but to me having it be a requirement to have an Xbox One is a deal breaker. Especially with there being no Dance Central for Xbox One. (What's the point of a Dance Camera without its keystone Dance Game?) I also mentioned it a few times during the period when the Kinect was a requirement to operate at all that you wouldn't be able to keep it in the closet this time and it seems to be something you've not really states as to why that didn't seem to play a part in your decision. My Kinect isn't in the closet, but it's also disconnected from my Xbox 360 since it's so damn annoying when trying to watch Netflix and it does stuff randomly that I don't want it to do.

It just seems like such a weird thing to require when they're not even supporting the stupid thing. In some regions the voice commands won't work on launch day, Just Dance 2014, Zumba Fitness World Party and Fighter Within will be the only games you can buy at launch. While the Playstation Camera's launch line-up isn't much better, it's not a requirement and it's cheaper. Not to mention that Fighter Within is the only game that's not a port for either device and it's probably going to be terrible. 

That and only thing I can think of when I think about Figher Within is this...

http://youtu.be/dAtr7LsenJ8

Wombat whining about not "being a chosen one" may have made me spit coffee all over my dashboard this morning.

As someone who has downloaded and played more fighting games than what I would imagine the average XBL user has, I too feel a bit let down.  With Europe getting FIFA for free - another game I purchase bi-yearly - and now Killer Instinct, it's hard not to feel left out.

I don't even know what game to buy day one, anymore.

Thanks for the fresh steaming pile of cagcast fellas!

@Wombat:  The feeling you experienced is best described as 'getting snubbed.'  Your sense of entitlement is off the charts.  And that's one of the things which makes you so special. :bow:    

Shipwreck's "Hey, you can play against me with your one character" crack made Wombat's first world problem nerd rage worthwhile.

I pulled the clip in case anyone wants to easily relive the compaints:

https://soundcloud.com/cheapyd/wombat-vs-xbox-one-loyalty

Great Show guise!

About the free xbox virtual goods...I understand that Wombat has a voice in this industry but to use it on something as frivolous as this seems wasteful.  Just because a dozen or so people complain about not getting free stuff doesn't mean you have to listen to them.

I guarantee some of the people that did win something are probably complaining they didn't win the "other" thing.

I have to agree with Wombat on the Xbox giveaways. I think he was wrong about them labeling it as a loyalty thing, but unless they're giving something away to everyone than it comes off as a them giving only specific loyal customers free stuff. They simply needed to say "We appreciate your support and you've won our drawing to win X" or something along those lines. I'm not upset I didn't get anything mind you, but as usual Microsoft doesn't communicate well.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that while I use adblock, I have it turned off for CAG. I've never found the ads here. I've never found them to be intrusive.

I also agree with Wombat's point on the Giveaway.  As someone who's had an XBox and 360 from day one and a Gold member/paid Live member since the original XBox, what's the cutoff that says "Oh, but you're not a fan..."?  No, my gamerscore isn't high because of lack of time, but if that's the criteria make it clearer from the start ("Gold members with a gamerscore over XXX"), or call it a contest.

Not a huge deal, but after all the other fiascos Microsoft has had of late you'd think they'd be extra careful in risking alienating potential customers this close to launch.

I was really put off by Wombat's whining about not getting free stuff on Twitter, so I'm glad you guys addressed it.  He's trying to play it off as semantics and they should have called it something else, blah blah blah, but he's really just mad he didn't get something free, which has been a recurring theme since the CAGcast started.  And that is super gross.

There are multiple threads on GAF where people are going off against games media for getting free stuff for review and getting special treatment and stuff, and then Wombat goes on Twitter to try to leverage his position as a semi sort of popular maybe industry guy (whether this was his intention or not, this is absolutely what people will think) to publicly beg for free stuff.  You're supposed to be better than this, dude.  

Few points:

Wombat is right about the Killer Instinct giveaway. If they don't give a clear reason as to why these people are chosen, it seems kind of shitty. One of their reasons was gamerscore, but what if they don't play as many games as other people? What if it's the COD or Madden gamer who is on every day, has had Live since Day 1, but just doesn't have a high gamerscore because they only play a couple games a year and aren't achievement hunters. It's shitty. But at the same time Wombat, this isn't anything new, so I don't know why you complain now and not the past several years that Microsoft (and other companies) have done the exact same thing.

Cheapy, the reason you probably don't get as much hate from Xbox fans is because you guys really are pro-Xbox. I think Ship said it as a joke, but as posts from your listeners have showed for years, there seems to be a clear preference or bias towards them. I don't see many PS gamers getting upset about talking trash on Move just like Xbox gamers don't get mad about talking trash on Kinect. And if you think you really dug into Microsoft after E3? No. You really didn't. You expected them to change policies regarding DRM, and when they didn't, you shrugged it off. You gave Sony more shit for not bundling headsets in with the PS3. You bring up the dickheads on Twitter who are all pro-Sony and bring up every small issue, but don't realize that Ship always seems to reiterate how his Target doesn't carry PS4 stuff/how the no-mp3 thing from last week (or 2) was 6 tweets worthy/or how when Sony says they have over a million pre-orders he has to bring up how some schmucks in a locker room are buying an Xbox One almost defensively. There are things you guys do that come off overly Xbox, and that's why people have given you guys a hard time about it for so long.

Ship, with the 2 PS4's, why don't you pick up the Wal Mart one at midnight. When you get the Amazon order in, take it back to Wal Mart. Wouldn't that work?

Here's the problem Cheapy, you get called a MS shill because of things you have said in the past do not match up what you and Shipwreck say now.  You guys would clearly state how the CoD's of the past were "superior" on the 360 over the PS3 when those differences were less than the differences than the resolution debate, yet now even though the differences are greater all of a sudden the visual differences mean nothing.

You guys have done this multiple times where you'll state things on MS and touch on negative issues but if its on the PS3 then all hell broke loose (hyperbole).  I don't haves the time to listen to past cagcast's but the "proof" is there, the way you guys also spoke about MS trying to screw the consumer was no help either.  NO, you guy were not "hard" on MS during their E3 announcements and yes everyone hates Kinect that's why you don't get anything on that.  The point of view you guys expressed was the complete opposite of the vast majority of sites reporting the announcements to the point that Major Nelson acknowledged your letter.  

I think Wombat is the most neutral and honestly found it disappointing that he was buying an X1 over a PS4 when he was the one that actually saw how MS was trying to "screw" us (consumers) over.  They changed their policies but it wasn't because of them listening to their drones, it was because people started waking up and realized that MS was trying to screw them over and switched sides.

Calling you guys MS shills has been going on for years, I would think by now you would be able to see why you keep being labeled as such.  Warranted or not people expect their sites to be "neutral" unless clearly stated a site is pro-product x, the assumption here is we listen to hear talk about games and systems and not an uneven handedness towards one company.  

You guys complain and are defensive about being called MS shills, but once again for years many have written well thought out responses on your site about your views and have never invited someone to explain why this is a pervasive perception.  State all you want the you don't get it but not everyone that sees your bias towards MS is a nut, in the end its your past actions and statements that you refuse to see as the reason.

I listened to this on my 4:30 am dog walk in the dry Colorado cold, and I think that added to my rage as I listened to Wombat complain about how he wasn't loyal enough to get a free game. Who cares? It's a free game. A free game of which most people will put a few hours in and be done with; a game few people will actually really get into. I understand it's the principle of the matter, but Wombat is a part of the gaming industry. The amount of free stuff he gets from various outlets is above average. on top of everything, the fact that was touting himself as the mouthpiece for the unfortunate gamers is laughable.

Wombat, I usually side with you on a lot of stuff, but this was just idiotic. You are a figure in the community, and whining like this does not do a lot for your image. Sometimes you need to just let it go.

Bottom line Cag Crew...no matter what you say or do on your show people are going to label you something and bitch and complain about you.  So it is always best to just be yourself and let the chips fall where they may and ignore all of the crap.

Do you think the guys @Giant Bomb give 2 shits what the internet says about them?  I mean they were playing Wind Jammers over the weekend for a live stream, lol.  They shit all almost everything and it is funny as hell to me but some people cal them idiots.

Just keep doing what your doing..its working right?

CAG #343

1:30 Xbox appreciation giveaway
10:00 Feedback
10:00 - House of Ship update
12:30 Disney Japan / Star Tours
16:15 Wal-mart pricing error
17:00 Marvel/Netflix shows
19:45 New Releases
19:45 - Call of Duty MCXXVII
24:00 - Guided Fate Paradox
24:30 - Typing of the Dead Overkill
27:15 Cag and ads
30:45 Xbox employee that made the 'deal with it' comment
34:30 Lego Marvel
35:30 CoD resolution, 8-4play, Neogaf trolls, overzealous fans
41:00 Next gen presence in stores
44:15 Xbox music service
46:30 Game Informer Ryse preview
47:30 Dead Rising 3
49:30 Steam Machine prototype
51:15 New apple stuff
52:45 PS4 controller light
53:30 Cagbag
53:30 - After thanksgiving deals on next-gen stuff?
55:30 - Game patches
56:45 - Extended warrantees
58:30 - Sales on digital downloads
1:00:15 - Waiting on the new consoles
1:06:00 - Which one: Ryse/Forza 5/Dead Rising
1:06:45 - Abandoning 360/PS3

Dam, Wombat needed a whambulance.

Whoa.. Really Cheapy... Saying it must be Sony fans?

Both sets of fans have shares of assholes, he'll even pc has its share of elite assholes.

Actually you sound a little elite yourself judging a set of fans by a small sample of idiots. There are fanboys in everything and for everything. Peek outside of the Xbox tower every now and then and take look at your fellow xbox fanboys "it's not all about the resolution". Funny how if the Xbox had the advantage it would be just fine.

Yes Cheapy you are very heavy towards the Xbox side of things and you have been for years and you know what, that's fine.

And everyone arguing about launch software on launch systems is just plain dumb. Xbots are dumb and ps fanboys are dumb, and the pc zealots can be the most annoying.

We pray for wii fans.

Too much complaining by Wombat over the whole KI/Xbox email, that discussion could have been about 15min shorter

I totally agree with wombat regarding the giveaway. When I saw the picture, my first thought was wtf do I have to do to be "appreciated."

HotD Overkill wasn't made in Japan, it was made in London.

Resolutiongate was a term coined by Digital Foundry. It applies not just to Call of Duty, but also to Battlefield 4 which runs at a higher resolution on the PS4 and a higher average framerate.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-pc-face-off-preview

Having moved ahead in terms of image quality, there's no doubt that Sony's new platform comes out on top overall in the performance metrics too. This is best demonstrated in matching sequences, such as a cut-scene on a Shanghai river where it commands a constant 2-4fps lead, and likewise during the tearing apart of a battleship. In terms of gameplay, the gap widens further during the cannister explosion on the Fishing in Baku stage, with a disparity at well above these numbers - the PS4 regaining 60fps much faster than the fluctuating Xbox One code. We see occasional XO wins in like-for-like testing too, but in our single-player tests, it is clearly the PS4 code that is in the ascendant.

Pretty funny that right when you talk about wanting more feature videos, Microsoft releases a 12 minute demo of the UI and a list of all the entertainment apps available at launch.

Also had a thought - music.xbox.com lets you stream ad-supported music for free (as well as your matched collection) so I'm wondering if the site will work snapped in IE.

Calling you guys MS shills has been going on for years, I would think by now you would be able to see why you keep being labeled as such. Warranted or not people expect their sites to be "neutral" unless clearly stated a site is pro-product x, the assumption here is we listen to hear talk about games and systems and not an uneven handedness towards one company.

You guys complain and are defensive about being called MS shills, but once again for years many have written well thought out responses on your site about your views and have never invited someone to explain why this is a pervasive perception. State all you want the you don't get it but not everyone that sees your bias towards MS is a nut, in the end its your past actions and statements that you refuse to see as the reason.
shill
SHil/

1. 1.

an accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others.

• a person who pretends to give an impartial endorsement of something in which they themselves have an interest.

We are not in business with Microsoft, nor do we have a financial interest. We have opinions that differ from yours. That doesn't make us shills, it makes us people.

Cheapy, the reason you probably don't get as much hate from Xbox fans is because you guys really are pro-Xbox. I think Ship said it as a joke, but as posts from your listeners have showed for years, there seems to be a clear preference or bias towards them. I don't see many PS gamers getting upset about talking trash on Move just like Xbox gamers don't get mad about talking trash on Kinect. And if you think you really dug into Microsoft after E3? No. You really didn't. You expected them to change policies regarding DRM, and when they didn't, you shrugged it off. You gave Sony more shit for not bundling headsets in with the PS3. You bring up the dickheads on Twitter who are all pro-Sony and bring up every small issue, but don't realize that Ship always seems to reiterate how his Target doesn't carry PS4 stuff/how the no-mp3 thing from last week (or 2) was 6 tweets worthy/or how when Sony says they have over a million pre-orders he has to bring up how some schmucks in a locker room are buying an Xbox One almost defensively. There are things you guys do that come off overly Xbox, and that's why people have given you guys a hard time about it for so long.
Wombat has some self-awareness of how they have talked about Sony and Microsoft over the past seven years. Cheapy and Shipwreck have none.

Felt bad for Wombat, yet on the plus side it was the most fun and favorite part of the podcast. Thanks for the show guys. Should be interesting couple weeks with the console launches, even if the Target situation puts the whole PS4 launch looking iffy. ;)

Just a tip on the extended warranty thing. Don't buy it from the retailer.

Check your credit cards and see if any of them offer extended warranty coverage. Most cards these days do. Typically, they will double the original warranty on the product, up to one additional year.

Earlier this year, the speaker died on my wife's iPhone 4S, which was out of warranty by 4 or 5 months. I had purchased it with my AMEX card. Apple replaced the phone for $200. I submitted the claim to AMEX and they credited me the entire original cost of the device ($400+) within two days.

Great show as usual (except wombat went a little long about the Live thing).

I don't think you guys need to address people calling you guys xbox fanboys. I think it's obvious that all of you prefer Xbox over Playstation/Nintendo and there isn't anything wrong with that. Throughout the generation I had biased towards different consoles, started with wii, then 360, then wii, then ended with PS3 (because of PS plus). Right now I am in the WiiU camp but I still love listening to the CAGcast. Between the two, I would say the PS4 is a more appealing console, but there are more games coming out on Xbox one that I am interested in. If you guys address the xbox comments just say you guys prefer the xbox brand more and move on, don't feed the sony trolls.

No one would care if you brought back ads, Cheapy.  Stick a couple of banner ads at the top and bottom, and put in a few more for people who aren't members, and you'll be all set.  Take advantage of the holiday traffic.

Today I learned that Japanese wackiness is good, but Japanese wonkiness is bad.

(I just thought it was funny how Cheapy summed it up as that and the words are so close to each other.)

Holy cow that Killer Instinct discussion was horrendous.

"It's a matter of nomenclature, they shouldn't call it a loyalty program"

"But they didn't use the word loyalty"

"Give me my free shit dammit!!!"

Best Buy gives out "random" reward certs all the time and I don't see Wombat calling Best Buy to ask why he wasn't one of the chosen few to receive them. The only difference is that in this case Wombat feels entitled to something so he whined and whined and whined about it. If this were the first time Wombat whined about not getting free stuff I'd ignore it, but honestly it's a bit ridiculous. Kazoo!

Is it just me, or does the intro music sound like a rapping muppet?

I agree Wombat, I also get annoyed when random people get "good customer" things and I don't, like the $5 Best Buy certificates that are sent out to random customers.

Daredevil Director's cut is good, in the theatrical he is all daredevil with very little matt murdock, the DC adds back in the Murdock. If we're playing editor, I would have not added back in the scene with bullseye acting like a toddler (because its stupid) at the airport and kingpin randomly killing his own henchmen (because it is out of character with what we have seen of him from the rest of the film).

In reading some of the COD reviews it seems the scores are lower because it is a step back feature-wise. Some of the refinements featured in the previous game were dropped. The replacement of the pick 10 system with an alledgely inferior perk system was something that I saw repeated in a lot of reviews.

Also, Dead Rising 3 is locked at 720P...and 30 FPS... :whistle2:

Wombat didn't deliver the facts correctly (what's new? :) )  but I mostly agree with him about the Xbox Killer Instinct giveaway.  I think one reason it makes you feel slighted is because you're an Xbox supporter (not a fanboy) and all you hear lately is the shit storm Sony fanboys are spewing (resolution, drm, price, kinect).  And you are spending your hard earned money as an early adopter (and long time supporter) only to see others rewarded with no clear reason as to why.

Shipwreck you sounded a little douchey during the whole KI discussion, I'll chock it up to you being tired with a newborn.  But you came off a little hateful and not joking, not cool.  Cheapy always sounds douchey so... ;)  Either way the bit was funny and entertaining.

About half way through but so far so good. 

Best Buy gives out "random" reward certs all the time and I don't see Wombat calling Best Buy to ask why he wasn't one of the chosen few to receive them. The only difference is that in this case Wombat feels entitled to something so he whined and whined and whined about it. If this were the first time Wombat whined about not getting free stuff I'd ignore it, but honestly it's a bit ridiculous. Kazoo!
I don't know about Best Buy, but that's some rewards program where I assume everyone gets something. This is an uncommon gesture by MS to offer some members something and leave other fairly hardcore members with nothing.

It's also amplified when their direct competition is Sony who is giving away a month of PS+ that comes with access to two new PS4 games and a $10 credit for all the new PS4 buyers. Just bad timing to make a bunch of Xbox One buyers feel left out of the freebies

• We are not in business with Microsoft, nor do we have a financial interest. We have opinions that differ from yours. That doesn't make us shills, it makes us people.

not quite there, mooch. Just because you are not being paid by MS (nor are you above calling a vagina clown a vagina clown) doesn't mean you don't have a bias, clearly you all do - towards Xbox/ MS. Quite frankly for Cheapy to act like all these "Sony People" are the problem is perhaps the height of myopia and rather insulting.

That said. I don’t really care that you prefer a company. (Even though it limits the range of topics on the CAGcast, you still manage to fill an hour). Just be honest. It’s weird, Cheapy and Shipwreck have no problem telling everyone they like Apple consumer products more. But suggest they like MS products more for gaming and they can’t play the “you’re a fanboy” card fast enough.

my•o•pi•a (maɪˈoʊ pi ə)

n.

1. a condition of the eye in which parallel rays are focused in front of the retina, objects being seen distinctly only when near to the eye; nearsightedness (opposed to hyperopia).
2. lack of foresight or discernment.
3. narrow-mindedness.

Come on, usickenme, no need for name calling. Having a preference doesn't make someone a shill, especially when Wombat is pointing out faults in this move by MS. Cheapy almost seems uninterested in consoles and is just PC PC PC these days anyway.

After Shipwreck's flacking last week, it would have been deeply wrong for him to not receive Killer Instinct. Meanwhile Wombat's on the fast road to the PS4, so why should Microsoft bother with him?

I'd much rather see some ads than the same Deadpool and Saint Row IV banners that have been up for months now.

Great show guys. Some of the comments in here are pretty comical. I hope that the people making them realize they are the exact folks that Cheapy was talking about.

edit: Put the ads back as well. As long as they aren't super intrusive, no one should care.

Cheapy your announcement of putting ads on CAG means I'm done with the site.  It's been fun.

*antonio_banderas.gif

tis ok cheapy, we love you.

Cheapy, I don't think it's Sony fans being passionate about the PS4 that you're seeing. Starting with the Adam Orth incident, the vocal contingent of annoying internet gamers assumed that Microsoft was taking away gamers' rights and that Sony was the champion of personal liberty. Once the systems were announced and especially at E3, their assumptions were proved to be true so they became even louder and more obnoxious about it. Anything on Reddit bashing the Xbox One for any reason was immediately upvoted to the front page. There was a post with thousands of upvotes about how evil Microsoft was for not adjusting the European price based on the Euro/USD exchange rate, even though every single electronics manufacturer including Sony uses the same pricing structure.

I wish people would realize that Sony is only humble and catering to gamers because Microsoft embarrassed them so badly last generation. I am interested to see how Microsoft behaves with the roles seeming to be reversed this time.

bread's done
Back