Bravely Default - Out now in stores and on the eShop! (Demo available)

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
Bravely Default (Based on the Bravely Default: For the Sequel re-release)
US: February 7th, 2014
EU: December 6th, 2013

Amazon

Standard Edition - $39.99

Collector's Edition - $49.99

Launch Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnWbboMkA-g

US Collector's Edition
knzLwia.jpg

They've also announced the Collector's Edition releasing the same day, which contains an Art Book, Soundtrack CD, and 34 AR Cards.

The European CE is pretty much the same, except it also includes an statue/figure of Agnes.

What is Bravely Default: Flying Fairy and Bravely Default For the Sequel?
Bravely Default Flying Fairy is a turn-based RPG that was released in Japan on October 11th, 2012, published by Square-Enix and developed by Silicon Studios (3D Dot Game Heroes). Its localization was confirmed back in March, with a 2014 release window and Nintendo publishing I believe. Import impressions are tough to find but mostly positive, as Japanator's Elliot Gay posted a detailed glowing review of it (much of the info in this OP comes from this review).

A few months ago, Square-Enix announced an enhanced re-release titled "Bravely Default For the Sequel," releasing in Japan on December 5th, 2013. The close proximity to the Western release led some to theorize that this re-release would be the basis for the Western release, a point that was strongly bolstered when it was revealed that two of the enhancements were dual-audio (En/Jp) and a multi-language (Jp/En/Fr/It/De/Sp) script. It was finally confirmed on Twitter that the West would indeed be receiving the improved "For the Sequel" version instead of the original, and that the Dual-audio option would still be there. The US release date was finally confirmed at the 11/13 Nintendo Direct.

The beginning of the story in Bravely Default sounds like a visit to a TVTropes page. The land is in danger, and you start off as Agnes, a Crystal Priestess who is journeying to figure out why the wind and ocean are messed up, accompanied by the fairy Airy. Along the way, Agnes and Airy run into Tiz (a young man whose hometown was recently destroyed), Ringabel (an amnesiac with a mysterious journal), and Edea (an Ex-Soldier from the invading Eternian Empire). Although it seems like a generic setting in the beginning, the story apparently goes into some interesting and unexpected directions, according to the import impressions.

Bravely Default has a few major systems to help differentiate itself from other RPGs: the Brave/Default System, a Job system, and some wireless features.

Brave/Default System
Yes, the silly title of this game is actually based on its core system. As I said earlier, the combat is turn-based, and this system pertains to those turns. During battle, you have the Brave command, which allows you to add up to three extra turns to your current one. "Great," you're thinking, "with four turns in a row,  I can charge through anything that stands in my way!" Wrong. You see, Brave uses up Brave Points (BP), of which you start the battle with 0. If you use the Brave option then, you'd have -1, -2, or -3 BP depending on how many times you used it. When you have negative BP, your character enters an exhausted state, unable to act until your BP recovers to 0. Braving yourself into exhaustion is  something you only want to use when you deliver the final blow, or when you want to pull off a last-ditch effort.

So how do you raise your BP?

The answer lies in the Default command, which essentially lets you defend and change your current turn into a BP. Up to 3 BP can be stored at once, once again giving you four turns in a row when you Brave. Only this time, there's no penalty as long as you don't go into negatives. Here's a small text flow chart illustrating a 1v1 battle situation:
Default (1BP) -> Enemy Attacks -> Default (2BP) -> Enemy Attacks -> Brave x2: Heal, Attack, Firaga

Ah yes, one more thing: Be aware that enemies can Default and Brave too.

Job System
The Job system in this game is pretty much the Job system from Final Fantasy V. If you've played FFV before, then you'll know what to expect, as it still involves building up your skills in one Job to use in others.

Essentially, each character has a Primary Job and a Secondary Job, both of which you can freely change. There is a slight twist to this set-up: Support Abilities (Passive skills; e.g. auto-heal, MP Leech, Weapon Mastery, etc.), which are equipped in a separate menu. When you win a battle, you gain some Job Points for the Primary Job, allowing it to eventually level up and unlock new abilities. When you equip a Secondary Job, you gain access to that job's unlocked skills to use in tandem with your Primary Job, though the Secondary Job does not gain Job Points. If you want to know more, Gamers Geographic and Siliconera have good descriptions of the Job system and some of the jobs.

There are 24 Jobs available, ranging from the standard FF fare (Knight, Monk, White Mage, Black Mage, Thief) to somewhat newer jobs (Superstar, Swordmaster, Pirate, Vampire), with a bunch of them locked behind optional boss battles where you're fighting for the Job's Asterisk (mini-crystal).

Wireless/Other Features
The online functionality is fairly basic. If any of the people on your Friends List owns Bravely Default, you can call in their character during battle to perform one attack. Likewise, you can "Record" your one attack and submit it to the web so all your friends can use it.

The Streetpass functionality is more complex. As I mentioned earlier, a character's hometown is destroyed, and it's up to you to (optionally) rebuild it. The game gives you one villager to start off with, and you get more villagers through Streetpassing. You can build shops, upgrade said shops, and have them craft free items for you. These tasks take real time to complete, and more villagers means that less time is needed to finish tasks.

Other features:
- AR card support
- Music orchestrated by Revo
- Multiple Endings

So what are the differences between the original and For the Sequel?
According to the FTS website, there were a total of 100 improvements made to Bravely Default (Siliconera has more details):
- Dual-audio voice tracks (Japanese/English)
- Multiple text languages (Japanese/English/French/Italian/German/Spanish)
- 3 save slots (The original only had 1)
- Improved UI
- Battle Speed (Faster fast-forward and Auto-Battle option)
- Battle enhancements from the currently-in-development sequel.
- Event Viewer
- Japanese players will be able to transfer save data from the original to For the Sequel.
- Difficulty settings (Easy, Medium, Hard)

- A slider that allows you to change the Encounter rate
- Updated town artwork; towns are more colorful and detailed (Original Upper-right, FTS Lower-left).
- The Party Chat function was improved, with more conversations between party members.
- Chapters 7 and 8 have been reworked.
- Bonus mega bosses, three monsters from Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light: Lucifer, Mammon, and Beelzebub. To fight them, just keep tapping the ominous Black Dragon that randomly appears on the map screen after some sort of wireless communication (Not sure if its affected by both Wi-Fi and Streetpass, or just Streetpass). Fourth "nemesis" revealed: Asmodeus.
- Bravely Second allows players to stop time during battle to squeeze in more attacks. It's being described as a "trump card" that uses a form of SP collected by putting the 3DS into Sleep Mode for a period of time. There is a microtransaction, an "SP Drink" DLC item that instantly replinishes Bravely Second's SP, but like I said, this is more of a trump card, to make the game easier, rather than a necessary system.
And many more (for now)... At the Famitsu TGS event, they revealed the list of fan feedback that they used to develop FTS. Here's a translation, with the things that they didn't use crossed out.

Media
The first footage of For the Sequel was revealed at the Famitsu TGS event, a 33 minute playthrough, starting off with comparisons between the Original and FTS (Battle Scene: Left-Original Right-FTS, Town/Menu Scene: Left-FTS Right-Original), and ending with footage of the other languages.

The first trailer from Europe, with Japanese voices and English subtitles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TfwL79euvg

The first trailer with English voices, but the audio mixing seems off compared to the others:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MiF1IMAsEc

Keep in mind that since BDFTS was announced more recently, most of this media is related to the original Bravely Default.
Zedamex has a 30 minute gameplay video up which shows many of the systems in action without being too spoilery, check it out:

Japanator Import Review
1UP Import Preview
GameSpot Import Preview

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh thank god, we're returning to a traditional job leveling system, instead of the crap from the first game... I mean I LOVED THE FIRST GAME'S JOB LEVELING SYSTEM, LET'S HAVE IT FOREVER (don't hurt me Squeenix)

Wow, this looks nice. I might have to toughen it out and pre-order at Gamestop.  They want $54.99 for the limited edition!  Glad I have some more time to save up for it.

It feels like I've been waiting for this forever. I remember feeling so excited when I saw trailers for the original release. I'm happy it is finally coming over here.

Oh thank god, we're returning to a traditional job leveling system, instead of the crap from the first game... I mean I LOVED THE FIRST GAME'S JOB LEVELING SYSTEM, LET'S HAVE IT FOREVER (don't hurt me Squeenix)
My body is ready. This better not be shit like 4 Heroes of Light.
Well, it does have a few things that differentiate it from/puts it above 4HoL:

- Different developer. 4HoL was made by Matrix Software (FFIII and IV remakes, Nostalgia), while Bravely Default was developed by Silicon Studios (3D Dot Game Heroes).

- Different inspiration. Matrix seemed to intent to recreate aspects really old FF games like FF and FFIII when making 4HoL. Silicon Studios has admitted to being huge fans of FFV, a much better game than FFIII. They want to recreate FFV's far-superior job system, while modernizing it and other systems. They aren't just throwing in archaic or counter-intuitive systems just for the sake of being "old-school" or to fix what isn't broken.

- For those on the fence, they released a very comprehensive demo in Europe two weeks before the game came out. It's a simple scenario (Your characters dropped in the middle of a desert kingdom with a small set of jobs available and the initial task of rebuilding Norende Village). After some quick tutorial screens, you're pretty much given free rein to explore the small area, take on side quests, fight monsters on the world map and in two dungeons, and fight bosses. You can try out the job system to find effective combinations, Streetpass, and use the AR functionality. You're even able to save in the demo, which allows you to transfer certain things over to the full game like your Streetpass data and up to 7 "play bonuses," item packs unlocked by completing tasks in the demo (defeating bosses, finishing side-quests, etc.).

So anyone know if Amazon is doing the special edition? I am a whore for 3DS LE's.
I've been waiting on Amazon as well, but they don't even have the regular version up for preorder yet @_@
They finally added entries for the regular edition and the collector's edition, though for some reason they're listed as "Ships within 3 to 5 weeks":

Standard Edition - $39.99

Collector's Edition - $49.99

They just announced the sequel in this week's Jump magazine:

http://gematsu.com/2013/12/bravely-default-sequel-announced-for-3ds

Not much info outside of a few screenshots, artwork, and basic details. It's titled Bravely Second, it's for 3DS, and the protagonist is a new character named Magnolia.

This week’s Jump reveals Bravely Second, a sequel to Bravely Default, for 3DS.
Bravely Second is set in the same world as the original game. Players will embark once again on a great adventure of swords and magic.

Jump introduces Magnolia, a new silver-haired character “clad in the moon.”

A release date was not announced.

bravely-second-announmfica.jpg

A side story demo is being released on Jan. 2nd! Supposedly this is a side story that isn't a part of the actual game release. Pretty cool!

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/12/18/bravely-default-flying-fairy-to-get-side-story-demo-on-january/
Definitely the demo that they released in Europe, though I'm surprised that they're releasing it a full month before the game's release. Like I said before the "exclusive side-story" is pretty basic (1 or 2 scenes), but the demo itself is definitely comprehensive. You're given a set of jobs to mix and experiment with, a town, an enclosed area of the world map, and a few dungeons and bosses. You can save your progress, not only because you'll need to level up to become strong enough to face the demo bosses, but also to eventually transfer your Streetpass data and your item bonuses (gained by completing certain tasks in the demo) to the full game.

Holy crap. Read the preview on RPGFan. I couldn't be more excited for this game. Screw Christmas-- give me Feb. 7!

Definitely the demo that they released in Europe, though I'm surprised that they're releasing it a full month before the game's release. Like I said before the "exclusive side-story" is pretty basic (1 or 2 scenes), but the demo itself is definitely comprehensive. You're given a set of jobs to mix and experiment with, a town, an enclosed area of the world map, and a few dungeons and bosses. You can save your progress, not only because you'll need to level up to become strong enough to face the demo bosses, but also to eventually transfer your Streetpass data and your item bonuses (gained by completing certain tasks in the demo) to the full game.
Oh fuck , my body is really ready now. Here I thought this was just a small intro not a decent sized intro to the game.

Very cool that they put the demo out.  Downloading now, though I probably won't play it until I finish A Link Between Worlds.

I'm finding the demo difficult. The fighting system isn't explained; selecting brave doesn't do anything, and I'm supposed to go east but there's nothing there.

And then comes busy season... and we can't play games. Hell, I can't play games now.
Be like me and get a job with a non profit with a 6/30 year end and no o/t. :lol:

Finished the demo except for building the goddamn town, which is a requirement for one of the 7 bonus sets. Just gonna have to leave my 3DS on sleep for the next few days with this game running to get that done. Enjoyed the demo a fair bit and will definitely be preordering. PS: The town bullshit is only really bad in the demo; they don't require streetpasses at all in the full version, instead you just connect once a day and get free villagers. Another protip for the demo town: talk to the dude on the stairs in between the magic and weapon shops multiple times to get another dude to help build the town. Cuts the shitty times in half, better than nothing.

The key to not getting your shit wrecked in random battles is to brave x4 with everyone. That kills nearly all random encounters dead in one turn, except for the ones near the end of the demo. The real strategy is in the boss fights. I had to look this up myself and ask around to find this out. The actual demo does a shit job of telling you what to do. Once you learn this, the demo is a million times more enjoyable.

Also fucking LOVE being able to change the encounter rate on the fly. AMAZING. Max encounter rate for grindan/loot quests, no encounters when trying to find secret places/going to a boss.

I started the demo too.  The battle system is very confusing and I've played a lot of RPG's  As 2D said, the battle system is not explained at all.  Maybe I need a guide....  

I'm having a lot of trouble with the demo.  Anyone have any tips for starting or a faq/guide I can look at?

Fail #1: Only 30 demo uses.

Fail #2: You can't use the analog stick to answer conversation questions and navigate menus.

Another protip for the demo town: talk to the dude on the stairs in between the magic and weapon shops multiple times to get another dude to help build the town. Cuts the shitty times in half, better than nothing.
There's also apparently a way to exploit this and get the demo's maximum 20 villagers without needing to StreetPass. Basically, it just involves saving before you talk with the guy, talking with him to get the extra villager, then going back to the Title Screen (via the Adventurer's menu) to reload the save, and talking with him again to get another villager; repeat as needed without saving until you hit the max. The Village progress is saved automatically, separate from the demo's progress.

Why did nintento put use limits on demos anyway? Im down to 18 uses now.
I have never played a demo more than a few times. By then I know whether I will purchase the game or not. Apparently with this game though, some of your progress carries over to the full release which is a nice touch.

It is pretty stupid to put a limit on this demo considering it's a different scenario from the main game.  Oh well, I completed the goddamn town and now am ready for the full version.

Added everyone on the list and added myself.

Is adding people in the game via the Internet only in the full game?  It's greyed out for me- it is only allowing local wireless.  Am I doing it wrong?

Added everyone on the list and added myself.

Is adding people in the game via the Internet only in the full game? It's greyed out for me- it is only allowing local wireless. Am I doing it wrong?
It's greyed out for me too, so it must be a feature that's in the full game only.

Is it just me or do enemies have so much fucking HP?

I ended up completing the demo, but I also found a game breaking combo by doing so.
Have a party of 4 Valkyrie's each leveled up to level 1 of the Knight class for the two handed ability. All you do is equip a polearm (with the two handed ability for everyone) and use jump to do huge damage. I mean it does more damage then a weakness with a *ara black magic. Just make sure to have one white mage for healing

I really like this game though.

There's more than one gamebreaking combo, at least in the demo.  Utsusemi+ turntables and the level 3 ninja ability means you hardly get hit by the bosses and get BP in the process.

Ooooh...it's a beautiful game.  Amazing graphics for the 3DS.  But it's HARD.  My first monster was a pair of snakes that wiped out my party.  “Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?”

Definitely glad I pre-ordered this.

Since the deal thread is getting quite a few posts about friend codes. I went ahead and created a Google Doc for everyone to add their friend codes to:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj8xz3nsn9dtdFZMSE5IMHdFQmQ4cmJYV0J5VnFTY2c&usp=sharing
I added myself to the list. I'd appreciate if people would add me. And if you do, if you could PM me, I'll make sure I'll add you as well. I will be adding everyone on this list, but I will make sure that I have added people who PM me. Thanks!

I've added everyone's FC's on the Google doc. I'm very excited to try out the other classes and see what the story consists of in this game. One month away!

FC: 0173-1292-4635

bread's done
Back