My PS4 Came DOA

iwannadie

CAGiversary!
I got my Amazon pre order ps4 today and rushed home, plugged it all in and turned it on... No video source and the blue light just pulses. Tried different HDMI cables, wiggle the cables, different Tv entirely and no dice Tried powering down and going into safe mode, it just shuts off. Tried removing the HD and turning it on without and then putting the HD back in and turning it back on and nothing. Just blue light of death.... sigh.

I thought mine was too I would leave it on for 5min on the input just to be safe it took mine some time to boot up but it has been a beast ever since.

There are reports of a bunch of units being shipped with bad HDMI ports, OP might've gotten one of those.  Sorry to hear it.  Hit up Amazon support ASAP and they should take care of you.

edit: Sony CS wait times are crazy long because of the PSN 'irregulaties.'

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having the same problem, blinking blue light and no output to the TV. Took 2hrs to get a rep @ Sony. It will boot into Safe Mode (keep touching the power button till it beeps a 2nd time), but it restarts with the blue light.

Was told it would have to be sent back for repairs.

I am, just going to send mine back to amazon, they will do a refund but no exchange since it is out of stock.

In all seriousness, I'm sorry about your PS4 and I hope you can get a new one that works.
I appreciate it, I just hope it isn't widespread... Sucks I have to wait now until restock happens to get another one. I am glad it happened now out of the box I guess and not a few months from now and caused me to loose all my game saves or something.

I'm in the same boat. Sony said it will take 20 business days turnaround time from the day I send it in to the day I get it back. I am just going to send it back to Amazon for a refund and try to grab one when they get them back in stock. I paid with credit so I am locked into getting it from Amazon.

No way would I send it back for repairs. Just return it, get a refund, and try to get another one. I had a terrible experience with returning a PS3 to them. They told me 20 day turnaround time as well, turned into 3 months.

If you're within return period, return and rebuy. Sony said they're currently experiencing something like 0.4% units sold with reported issues, which is extremely low if true. I expect this number to go up to 1-2% once the full initial shipments are out.

Believe this story or not because even I almost didn't believe it. I have had both consoles pre-ordered. I got my midnight PS4 at Best Buy this morning (last night?) only to come home and have it boot to safe mode and tell me it can't find the hard drive. I contacted the Sony store in MA (an hour away from me) who said they had one put aside for me. I drive an hour, drive back aaaand it's bricked with the blue light of death. Awesome. I called the Sony store and the dude was super awesome about it, I must say. Even he couldn't believe it. He said he put another aside for me and he was going to test it in the store but honestly I think I'm just going to return this one at Best Buy and get my money back to put towards some Xbox One games (which hopefully this won't happen to me). So yes, I received two bricked  PS4 consoles within 24 hours. 

reading various Sony slanted forums and the anger on there, I believe every word you said. The other thing I find strange is that people with the HDMI troubles seem happy if they can do a little trick to then get their system to work.

WHY THE HELL ARE THESE BRICKED OUT OF THE BOX? 

I would be screaming THAT question to Sony all day.

Mine was DOA too.  Flashing blue light, won't go to safe mode, won't display anything.

Anyway, I got a voice mail from a Sony rep today to let me know that they are sending me a box via FedEx overnight to return my broken 'PS3' in.  Yes, you read that correctly...the Sony rep is so incompetent that he said it's for my PS3.  This is after I spoke to them on the phone Thursday and submitted all of my info, including the serial # to my 'PS4'.  Just from the serial # alone the rep should have been able to tell it was a PS4 that is being returned.

They better not even try sending the same unit back.  The original rep I spoke with on Thursday, said most likely they will just ship a new unit.

Best Buys in NYC are being bombarded with consumer wanting new units or their money back.

I took a look before I plugged in the HDMI cable, but nothing looked out of the ordinary and it worked fine.

reading various Sony slanted forums and the anger on there, I believe every word you said. The other thing I find strange is that people with the HDMI troubles seem happy if they can do a little trick to then get their system to work.

WHY THE HELL ARE THESE BRICKED OUT OF THE BOX?

I would be screaming THAT question to Sony all day.

I am still a bit numb to the idea my brand new console was a brick right out of the box, the packing was pristine and I work for UPS so I picked it up at work, it saw very little in transit time. We have a massive amazon warehouse local and get trailers directly from amazon to our building and it came off the trailer to my hands basically.

I am sitting here with 3 games and an extra controller and eager to play but this has me hesitant to go buy another one. I mean, I can hassle amazon to return all my games, controller and console then just wait, sit on my games and by the time I play them accept the prices will be much lower or rush to get a new ps4 and hope for the best. If these things are bricks out of the box what will they be doing 6-12 months from now?

I am a playstation fan and I am seriously doubting my ps4 future right now and I don't want to doubt it, I just want to play my games.

I am still a bit numb to the idea my brand new console was a brick right out of the box, the packing was pristine and I work for UPS so I picked it up at work, it saw very little in transit time. We have a massive amazon warehouse local and get trailers directly from amazon to our building and it came off the trailer to my hands basically.

I am sitting here with 3 games and an extra controller and eager to play but this has me hesitant to go buy another one. I mean, I can hassle amazon to return all my games, controller and console then just wait, sit on my games and by the time I play them accept the prices will be much lower or rush to get a new ps4 and hope for the best. If these things are bricks out of the box what will they be doing 6-12 months from now?

I am a playstation fan and I am seriously doubting my ps4 future right now and I don't want to doubt it, I just want to play my games.
Send it back for a refund and wait for the hardware revision. It's the obvious solution and one I wish I had done with the Xbox 360. After seeing these problems I'm not buying a PS4 until the slim is out. I did get a controller for $30 credit from Amazon but that will probably still be a good price in 2-3 years for an accessory like that. I'll just make due with current gen.

I had some issues with my PS4 that came from Amazon late today.  I had some popping sounds coming out of my TV at times and really sounded off inside.  I had it completely lock up and freeze on my twice while trying to play Battlefield 4 and when it would there was a really loud annoying buzzing sound coming out my speakers and then other times it just plain shut off.  I had numerous issues getting video to display trying 2 different TVs and different HDMI cables.  I got fed up with trying to boot into safe mode and it not working that I got on customer service chat with Amazon and am going to return my BF4 bundle.  

I got $5 credit coming for my troubles but I just want a working system if I paid this much.  Sure enough I was able to boot into safe mode and repair it somehow after I got off of chat but I'm not risking it.  I was able to deactivate the system as my primary account and then initialize it to clear everything else off.  It was definitely something HDMI related and maybe something else since the system just plain shut down with BF4 at times.  I was able to play Killzone for awhile earlier.

I waited until around 7:00pm for it to come today and had this happen.  It's disappointing.  I'll get another one at some point but I want to make sure it doesn't have problems.  I shouldn't have to troubleshoot that much on Day 1.  When it worked it seems awesome and I can't wait to get a working one and start doing all the new stuff.

Mine had a slightly different issue. It pretended to be fine, loaded up menus and everything as soon as i set it up. Internet connected, patch downloaded, and as soon as it tried to install, it requested that i restart. After restarting, the display just never came back. At that point, I only got the pulsing blue light, no safe mode, etc. The fact that it worked wonderfully until i downloaded the patch makes it hard to believe that it's a hardware issue, but it looks like i'm sending it to sony anyway. I would send it back to Amazon, but i applied a chunk of my employee discount to it that i won't be able to get back. *sigh* 

Apparently, alot of people are having the DOA PS4 issue. Just look at all the 1 star reviews on Amazon. Looks like Sony may have made a pretty big blunder on their Launch PS4s. I'm glad mine came out of the box working, but I will definitely be investing in the extended warranty over the PS Store just in case I have issues later down the line.

Carefule about sending them in to Sony. From Kotaku:

Later in the day, I got a call from Sony. They'd examined our unit and they figured out the problem. A piece of metal in the system's HDMI port was supposed to have been flush with the bottom of the port but instead had been bent upward, obstructing some of the pins in the port. It had been hard to see, though I imagine we would have noticed if we'd examined the unit more closely and not given it back. Nevertheless, we were told that that PS4 had been fixed. The Sony employee testing our unit used a pin to push the small piece of metal back down. They then plugged an HDMI wire into the unit and it worked. They even brought the unit to our office so we could see for ourselves.
Wonder if that's a fix they do and send units back out.

Got mine from Amazon and all I get is a flashing blue light. I switched out 3 HDMI cables I know work and two different TVs. Called Amazon and will be returning it and the games for a refund since they don't have any in stock to replace my POS. I will not be picking one up for awhile now. 

Why not contact Amazon first for a replacement?

Free return shipping and just order another one when they come back instock.

Will be faster then having to call, and wait days and days for sony to get your DOA console and eventually send you another one, or fix the DOA and send it back to it.

Amazon reviews almost have a 50% DOA rate..... That can't be a good sign.....

As someone who has a bad console I wouldn't put too much stock in that. It's a lot easier to write a bad review if something doesn't work. Most people that have working consoles are probably too busy playing to write a review. If it doesn't work you quickly go online and complain about it.

• mine is scheduled to arrive from Gamestop on Monday.... it was going to be a Christmas present for the family, but now I'm thinking I'd better check it out as that would be a really sad Christmas gift if it's a brick! 
  • question - can I return the bundle to gamestop brick and mortar if it doesn't work?

Amazon reviews almost have a 50% DOA rate..... That can't be a good sign.....
It wouldn't surprise me a lot of those negs were due to MS fanboys. Sony fanboys will do the same for the X1 launch.

• mine is scheduled to arrive from Gamestop on Monday.... it was going to be a Christmas present for the family, but now I'm thinking I'd better check it out as that would be a really sad Christmas gift if it's a brick!
  • question - can I return the bundle to gamestop brick and mortar if it doesn't work?
Yes, you can return online purchases to a store.

I was able to play for 2 hours before my PS4 shut off on its own.  I turned it back on and couldn't get a video signal on two different tvs and two other HDMI cables that I know work.  I am returning mine to Amazon.  Amazon shipped it pretty awful as well.  My wife said the box was half open and there was barely any packing material.  It must have sloshed around in the box.  The PS4 is nice but unfortunately I got a broken one.  I would get a replacement from Amazon but they are sold out and they don't offer the option to replace  the system with a new one.

Actually, Amazon is sold out and doesn't offere a replacement as an option.

Why not contact Amazon first for a replacement?

Free return shipping and just order another one when they come back instock.

Will be faster then having to call, and wait days and days for sony to get your DOA console and eventually send you another one, or fix the DOA and send it back to it.

Sucks to hear the stories from those that have had issues with their launch system. The advantage of ponying up the dough at launch is to enjoy that special feeling that only comes once every 5-7 years. And that has been taken away from you. Good luck to those that have been affected.

Get a refund from amazon.

Then order another one as soon as it comes instock... or go out to a retail store and buy another one.

Either way it will be much faster then calling sony and sending it out to them.

I'm glad I waited on purchasing my ps4 on launch. A family member of mine was bragging about getting his day one and sure enough his came bricked from best buy. He bought the best buy extended warranty but they are sold out and he had to send his in to get a replacement. I can't understand how QC can let all these systems slip through, I know faulty units are apart of launches and acceptable losses but man this is tarnish the Sony brand.

Sure I got a RROD xbox360 but it lasted me a year until it finally died and Microsoft customer support was awesome. I didn't get a refurbished system, they sent me a new model jasper chipset. I think I'll hold off on any "next gen" consoles until after the holidays and holiday return period passes and may consider building a new rig instead of the hassle.

I just hope they report the cause of the blue light issue. I am just curious what is causing it and how they intend to fix it and make sure future consoles don't have the same problem. 

Something of a side note, I noticed when making one last attempt to get it to work that my surge protector is showing its not grounded. My surge protector has a little ground indicator and once I plug the ps4 in the surge protector indicates bad ground. I tried on multiple surge protectors and different outlets all with the same results but maybe there is something power related going on with the ps4 causing these blue light of death issues...

I really feel bad for anyone who is having any problems with their new PS4. My last PS was a PS2 then I switched teams to Xbox but I don't plan on getting the Xbox one anytime soon, my 360 does all I need for now. I wouldn't wish a bricked launch console on anyone. Hopefully Sony will get it back on track and get everyone gaming ASAP. Good luck to everyone.

So I got the blue light of death went into safe mode put it back to factory settings and it works fine. Debating if I should take it back or not.

So I got the blue light of death went into safe mode put it back to factory settings and it works fine. Debating if I should take it back or not.
See, that is what worries me, we need to know what is causing these issues.

I would return it honestly.

bread's done
Back