* * * * * 2 votes

Best Buy WD 1TB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive for Laptops/PS4/PS3 64.99

ps4 harddrive 1tb hardrive bestbuy ps3

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 Tacosss

Tacosss

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

Can someone tell me the max HDD or HDSD(Hybrid)  physical size- 7mm or 9mm  and space 500GB or 1TB that the ps3 will allow? 

I wanted to get the 2.5in HDSD 1TB for my PS3 during black friday but I'm worried about getting the wrong type. I've also heard that I should avoid 7200rpm because of the extra heat produced. Average temp of my room is 60F during winter,  90F during summer

Any help is appreciated.

#32 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

I don't believe there is any upward limit on the storage space. 1 TB shouldn't be a problem at all. As far as physical space, 2.5 laptop drive is what you're shooting for. The vast majority of 2.5 laptop drives will work with the PS3 just fine. Getting a slower speed HDD might be a good idea, especially if you're rocking an older-model PS3. The earlier PS3 releases had a bit of trouble with heating, so a cooler-running drive is advisable. The latest, super-slim model has more efficient cooling, so you could get away with a speedier drive without having your PS3 sounding like a jet engine.

#33 AndrewCounty

AndrewCounty

Alligator F**khouse

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

A little bit under $60 if you check out via Google Wallet. Good deal.

How do you get the extra discount with Google Wallet?  I'm getting ready to place order and the price isn't any different.

#34 Tacosss

Tacosss

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:16 PM

I don't believe there is any upward limit on the storage space. 1 TB shouldn't be a problem at all. As far as physical space, 2.5 laptop drive is what you're shooting for. The vast majority of 2.5 laptop drives will work with the PS3 just fine. Getting a slower speed HDD might be a good idea, especially if you're rocking an older-model PS3. The earlier PS3 releases had a bit of trouble with heating, so a cooler-running drive is advisable. The latest, super-slim model has more efficient cooling, so you could get away with a speedier drive without having your PS3 sounding like a jet engine.

thank you. :) I'm thinking of this drive. I'm using the 160GB PS3 slim model.

http://www.amazon.co...ster_B00BCD2XPY

#35 twztid13

twztid13

Infinite backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

I honestly think it's 1Tb. I could be wrong though...

That's what I thought, too. That's the biggest I have ever known anyone to put in there, as well.

EDIT: Talking about PS3.

#36 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:31 PM

Can someone tell me the max HDD or HDSD(Hybrid)  physical size- 7mm or 9mm  and space 500GB or 1TB that the ps3 will allow? 

I wanted to get the 2.5in HDSD 1TB for my PS3 during black friday but I'm worried about getting the wrong type. I've also heard that I should avoid 7200rpm because of the extra heat produced. Average temp of my room is 60F during winter,  90F during summer

Any help is appreciated.

Most modern 7200 RPM drives don't make any more heat than a 5400 RPM drive do.   That's an old myth.

I have a 750GB Scorpio Black 7200RPM drive in my PS3 Slim and it's not any warmer than when it had the 320GB drive in it.

#37 twztid13

twztid13

Infinite backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:39 PM

BTW, I have a 80GB PS3 phat, and put a 160GB, then a 500GB Hybrid @ 7200 rpms. I put the 500GB hybrid in a little over 2 years ago & it does not overheat, nor does it make a bit of difference in 99% of games if you have a hybrid vs HDD. SSD vs HDD doesn't make that big of a difference, and they only have a small advantage in games with crazy long load times (GT5 is only one i have that I hadto time to see it was 1-2 seconds faster loading), so it's really not worth the extra cost unless you don't have anything else to spend money on.

#38 Investor9872

Investor9872

CAG Supremo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:05 PM

It's really too bad that video comparison didn't use a 7200 rpm drive as well.  I would love to see how close it is to the hybrid drive.  The hybrid drive is only 4 seconds slower than the SSD.  Now if the 7200 rpm drive is around 6 seconds slower than the SSD, and at about $40 - $60 cheaper than the hybrid drive, then the 7200 rpm drive may be the better alternative.

While this is not a great price, it's not bad either, especially for Best Buy. I purchased a 1 Terabyte Western Digital laptop 2.5 drive a few weeks ago at Fry's Electronics for $50. There will probably be even better deals on Amazon and Newegg over Black Friday/Cyber Monday, if you are willing to wait a little while.

The PS3 and PS4 are both designed with replaceable hard drives in mind. You can replace the hard drives for both with generic 2.5 inch laptop drives fairly easily. There don't seem to be any real restrictions for the PS3, but for the PS4 you must have a minimum size of 160 GB. Given the price of HDDs these days, that's pretty reasonable.

Your best bet for pairing performance with price is to get a hybrid drive. SSDs will give you faster loading, but are still prohibitively expensive. If all you care about is getting lots of extra space, stick to a basic HDD. For around $100 you can usually get between 2 and 3 Terabytes.

I'm hoping they update the PS4 with media playback at some point. Using my PS3's hard drive as a library for music and video storage and playback was one of my favorite features. I love that they are still letting me upgrade as I see fit, but those extra terabytes would be more meaningful with my collection of MP3s and MP4s copied to them.

<p>Gamefly PS3 chipped discs. Click on more pictures below to enlarge them.
Investor9872.png

#39 foxycleo

foxycleo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

Linked hard drive is SATA2 :oldman: and only has 8MB buffer

#40 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

Saw this drive for $63. http://www.bhphotovi...o_Blue_2_5.html

Batsugunner.png

#41 MIX_MASTER_ICE

MIX_MASTER_ICE

The Night Stalker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:29 AM

I had a Seagate 1TB external, which once opened was actually a Samsung Spinpoint. Anyway, went through the whole process and when the system is supposed to reboot, nothing but a black screen and the blue pulse light. Tried it three times, no dice I've read up on it and apparently several other people have experienced the same problem.

1.pngdefault.png IMAG0005.jpg

#42 srac84

srac84

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:37 AM

How do u get the discount using google wallet? Thanks

#43 fmills15

fmills15

Silent Professional

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:03 AM

For people who may not know, there is no 2tb hard drive for retail right now that exist to be used internally for PS4. Seagate will release the first one one that meets the specs for the system sometime early next year.
Its called the Spinpoint M9T.

#44 Timenice

Timenice

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:45 AM

So this will work with ps4?
But it's not a great deal?

#45 Investor9872

Investor9872

CAG Supremo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:06 AM

I would wait for the 2 TB Spinpoint M9T instead.  It retails for $129, but will probably be had for less than $100.

So this will work with ps4?
But it's not a great deal?

<p>Gamefly PS3 chipped discs. Click on more pictures below to enlarge them.
Investor9872.png

#46 Timenice

Timenice

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:42 AM

I'm kinda with some other people I don't wanna transfer and re download the stuff.

#47 the_ENEMY_

the_ENEMY_

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:04 AM

I have a feeling that in under a year 1tb wont be enough.

Posted Image

#48 Leftylikesgames

Leftylikesgames

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:02 AM

I have a feeling that in under a year 1tb wont be enough.

My thoughts exactly. I think I'll wait

#49 MIX_MASTER_ICE

MIX_MASTER_ICE

The Night Stalker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:33 AM

Fro what it's worth to anybody looking to upgrade their hard drive. I tried a Samsung Spinpoint 1TB and it didn't work. I tried a WD Scorpio Blue 1TB and it did work. Both drives 5400RPM.

1.pngdefault.png IMAG0005.jpg