CAGcast #345: Xbox One of Us Doesn’t Have A PS4

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang discuss their first week with the PS4 and launch titles, the Xbox One, and so much more!
Download (84 minutes) - iTunes -
https://soundcloud.com/cheapyd/cagcast-345-xbox-one-of-us

GoDaddy Web Hosting & Domain Registration Coupon Codes!
Get a $2.49 GoDaddy domain registration with code CAG249
32% off for all customers with code 32off1
$4 .com registration with 1 year privacy with code FREE9

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro (Somebody's Watching Me, BeatFreakz) - Outro (Shipwreck PSA)

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for brightening my sleepy morning.

The PC version of Need for Speed is well... 

Let me leave this video here by TotalBiscuit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDA37BmvNwM

Holy shit...you guys think I complain a lot?  I couldn't watch more than 30 seconds.  He makes Annoyed Gamer seem like a friendly grandma.

I think the Japanese kids learned it from this:

boonga5.jpg

Holy shit...you guys think I complain a lot? I couldn't watch more than 30 seconds. He makes Annoyed Gamer seem like a friendly grandma.
You should watch the whole thing though. to see what happens when you unlock the frames lock on the pc port. It breaks the game in all places xD

I don't get the love for NBA 2K14's graphics, just doesn't look like much of a jump to me.

Did they at least strip out the Jay Z stuff this time around?

Thanks as usual for what is sure to be an epic podcast, the name says it all man! I don't care what people say about all of the complaining, its half the fun of the show!

After a week of getting my gaming news from neogaf, a new cagcast is a great way to cleanse the pallet.  Fantastic job as always Wombat, Cheapy and Ship!

Great impressions and kudos to Wombat for keeping the PS4 discussion focused on the things that matter.  I have a day one forza bundle getting shipped to me from gamestop and a PS4 waiting for me at best buy pick-up, so I look forward to hearing more impressions over the next several weeks. Super Mario 3D World is still getting played first though!

The last of us who doesn't have a PS4!

Note: I listened to the whole show and can't remember a damn thing that was said.  So great show fellas!

Wombat hit it on the head.  There is an incredibly large market of middle aged adults with kids that want something that can do more than games.  My friends and I fit that demographic to a tee.  We all have cable and watch live television.  the XBOX One is a perfect fit.  As a real world example, I wanted to watch Supernatural and continue playing a rather engrossing session of XCOM:  Enemy Within.  I ended up turning on a television in and adjacent room so I could play and watch.  With the XBOX One, I could have done picture in picture.  I hear people talk about remote play as a way to play and watch tv at the same time.  Not sure why people write off the mulitmedia functions of the XBOX One as fluff. 

Speaking about Polygon praising the Kinect and Xbox One interface, I wonder if they will lower their review score after all of the problems that happened during their livestream yesterday.

Right?

Holy shit...you guys think I complain a lot? I couldn't watch more than 30 seconds. He makes Annoyed Gamer seem like a friendly grandma.

He's a spoiled, entitled twat. He can make a good point on occasion, but he takes PCPCPC to a whole other level. He likes to act critical of things to make himself feel above others, but to any non gamer he really sounds like a whiny biotch.

Pretty much every one of his reviews of launch games are going to be like this. Console games were rushed enough even on the consoles themselves. He knows perfectly well that they're not going to be any better on PC.

Really disappointed to find that the knockout game is a real game

Highly recommend buying a grip for playing the Vita. I got the $3 one off newegg and it's great. My hands don't get as cramped

Cheapy, based on your mention of X-Rebirth you should look into Star Citizen.  It is by the creator of Wing Commander and will have a full single player campaign and a MMO-ish persistent universe.  There will be no monthly fee for the multiplayer part.  

Still in the crowdfunding stage (almost $30 million raised) and not out until Late 2014/Early 2015.   However, they already have a hangar module in the CryEngine that let's you walk around/in your ships. The dogfighting alpha comes next month.  Early next year the planetside FPS portion will come out.  Eventually, all the modules will be stitched together for the final game.  You can get alpha/beta access, full single & multiplayer, and starter ship for $40.  Of course, some people have spent several thousand buying every ship available.

Thanks Wombat. Now I'm part of the $1 Shave Club too. I only wish I had your referral link before checking out. 

Wombat has always hated Batman Beyond because of Terry McGinnis, I'm not sure why he tempered his response more this time compared to previous times the show has come up on the CAGcast.

So, I watch hardly any live TV, the occasional sports event, but all my scripted television I DVR and watch it later. As I understand it after reading some reviews, xbox commands only work when in live TV mode? To set recordings, play recorded programs, and access cable on-demand, etc I have to use the cable box remote, so probably 90% of the time I wouldn't get much value from the added xbox interface. If they were really after the TV room they should have positioned the Xbox one to replace the cable box, not piggyback on it.

Cheapy did a good job of explaining it, but AnandTech has some more information on why the PS4 finds it easier to output games in 1080p.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7528/the-xbox-one-mini-review-hardware-analysis/2

Basically, Microsoft always planned to use 8GB of DDR3 RAM because they always wanted their next console to be able to run games and media applications at the same time. Because DDR3 RAM is kind of slow they had to use ESRAM to compensate, and ESRAM takes up space on-die.  So there was less room for compute and ROP partitions in their GPU.

Sony succesfully gambled on there being enough GDDR5 RAM available for them to put 8 GB of it in the PS4.  Back in February a lot of people thought they were only going to be able to have 4 GB.  The speed of GDDR5 RAM meant there was no need for ESRAM, and so they were able to have a signifcantly stronger GPU.  The comparison most often used is that the PS4 has the equivalent of a Radeon HD7850 and the X1 has the equivalent of a Radeon HD 7770.

Cheapy, I hope you are planning to send Wombat a ps4 as a Hannukah present, because he'll probably need some games that run in 1080p once he gets his new television.

Plus, it would be no fun hearing him be silent for a large part of the podcast for the next eight or so years. Let's make this happen.

I definitely think Wombat is on to something in regards to the 30 something market.  The 80s babies that have been playing since NES are still gaming, and probably make a sizable portion of the market, but have spouses and children to contend with now.  

He already mentioned some of the features that make it easier for adults to game on xbox one like being able to split the screen and integrate TV, kid friendly kinect titles. But PS4 has some good features for the 'dad' market too:

-all audio through the controller headphone jack

-remote play (although I'm disappointed to hear Shipwreck was frustrated with the controls). 

Basically this feature set allows us 30 somethings to keep playing gory, violent games without disturbing others.

Cheapy in response to the little boy's hilarious prank he got you with...I would have laughed harder then him when I would shove my foot up his ass and my blank up his mom's blank:)

*real violence is not condoned by me but hexing them is ;)

I wouldn't say the xbox uses a slower memory necessarily, they just do different things.

GDDR5 is better for graphics while DDR3 is better at doing a bunch of different things at once.

I think this is evidenced by the fact that the Xbox can run multiple games and apps at the same time, while the PS4 needs to close one game before starting another.

I imagine eventually they will swing it so that you you can remote play to the vita with the option to blutooth connect a DS4 to the vita to serve as the controller, similar to how you could pair a DS3 with a PSP Go.

I wouldn't say the xbox uses a slower memory necessarily, they just do different things.

GDDR5 is better for graphics while DDR3 is better at doing a bunch of different things at once.

I think this is evidenced by the fact that the Xbox can run multiple games and apps at the same time, while the PS4 needs to close one game before starting another.
The PS4 can keep apps running while you play a game. So can the Vita.

DDR3 isn't just slower, it's a lot slower.

The way you guys are talking about the PS4, its tearing away my defenses about waiting to get into the new systems. I'm still going to hold strong. These games released really sound like the best launch titles for any system released in the past generations.

:whee: Couldn't believe you guys read my comment! Hope it was received in the spirit it was intended... accurate critical judgement. I'm kidding of course, and can't stop with the dry sarcasm. Seriously stoked hearing it on air.  ;)

Really looking forward to getting all of your Xbox Onesses impressions. I'll be checking all of your twitters since the podcast lands almost a whole week after launch.

Xbox One can't run multiple games. It goes up to one game and four apps.

That's actually a bit of a problem when you switch games with prospect of losing progress in what you're playing. There isn't a warning message like on the PS4 that it will quit out.

Thanks for reading my comment on air this time. I got a big kick out of that.

I found Wombat particularly funny this week and was glad to hear him clearly again. 

Dollar Shave Club sponsors some podcasts, if Wombat likes them you should consider reaching out to them for some on-air ads. I will stick to wet-shaving and double-edge safety razors but have heard good things about DSC.

This week? F that, Wombat is funny every week. The guy has it so good as a comedian he can make bad jokes and he busts me up. I don't know anyone else on TV or podcasts that does that for me.

EDIT: Now I'm getting paranoid I'm not coming across right, but I don't think his jokes are bad. It's that even his decent ones are treated poorly. Bah, you guys know what I mean. I'll just stick to saying "great show" next time.  :whistle2: 

Wombat nailed it. I'm a 35 year old dad and I love sports as well as gaming.   X1 spoke to that part of me in a way that PS4 didn't.  I think the internet forum gaming community tends to put too much stock in what the NeoGaf crowd has to say and not enough into the market Wombat spoke of that I am proudly a part of.

Hah - the talking PS4 controller surprised me as well when I played Resogun. My 3 year-old daughter asked me "Why is that remote talking?". :lol:

And hey, I'll play some NBA 2K14 with you guys. I had never played anything other than NBA Jam before so I totally suck but over the course of a coop game with my 10 year-old son (who is much better at it) I learned a bit. Towards the end of the game I stopped firing off full-court shots after getting rebounds. (I had been trying to steal and the same button shoots).

Why has no one asked the most important question about the Xbox one?

Will my Xbox 360 HD DVD player work on it?

Wombat nailed it. I'm a 35 year old dad and I love sports as well as gaming. X1 spoke to that part of me in a way that PS4 didn't. I think the internet forum gaming community tends to put too much stock in what the NeoGaf crowd has to say and not enough into the market Wombat spoke of that I am proudly a part of.
There is definitely a market out there. But the market of 30+ gaming dudes is just a piece of the gaming pie. So the question is, does the casual-non gaming market make up for the fans that have no interest in a media box and just want a gaming device? We will see. But that crowd only wants the media functions, not the gaming part. And $500 is a bit...steep for that.

I just wanted to say I thought this was a great episode and loved the first impressions of the PS4. I'm really anxious to see what you guys think of the xbox one as well and how they compare to one another.

It's pretty funny how worked up everyone gets over the console wars especially when you add the PC to the mix. At this point everything is playing a good percentage of the same games and despite hardware power I find it difficult for anyone to really be upset with whatever they buy. Everyone will get some great games to play.

There will always be exclusives and services that will be different but at the end of the day everyone should complain less and game more. Gotta love the internet.

There is definitely a market out there. But the market of 30+ gaming dudes is just a piece of the gaming pie. So the question is, does the casual-non gaming market make up for the fans that have no interest in a media box and just want a gaming device? We will see. But that crowd only wants the media functions, not the gaming part. And $500 is a bit...steep for that.
None of know the exact subsection of the total audiences and neither do the manufacturers. I think we just put to much stock in a vocal but increasingly smaller pieces of that gaming consumer pie. I just think we all need to accept that these systems are for the "hardcore", but to thrive in todays market they also have to cater to others to survive.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I remember when, I think it was when Arkham Origins was rumored but was mostly unknown so the subject matter of the next Batman game was a mystery, and Wombat totally lambasted Batman Beyond. And Cheapy mostly agreed with him, IIRC. And now Cheapy likes it?! Wombat didn't even bat an eye at Cheapy saying Batman Beyond is decent, too. And I totally remember one of you claiming that no one liked it. But, see! Give things a chance!

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I remember when, I think it was when Arkham Origins was rumored but was mostly unknown so the subject matter of the next Batman game was a mystery, and Wombat totally lambasted Batman Beyond. And Cheapy mostly agreed with him, IIRC. And now Cheapy likes it?! Wombat didn't even bat an eye at Cheapy saying Batman Beyond is decent, too. And I totally remember one of you claiming that no one liked it. But, see! Give things a chance!
Think it was this one based on my comment in the show thread with a little follow-up in the one after that

I was a little afraid at first that Cheapy was going to bash the PS4 the whole time, which didn't happen! Thanks for renewing my faith in your unbiasedness Cheapy.

Question for Shipwreck and Cheapy: you guys seemed pretty impressed by the graphics of the PS4, despite each of you owning a pretty hardcore gaming PC. How does the PS4 stack up to your PC's? And do you see yourselves still buying multiplatform games on your PC, or on a console?

I'm mostly asking because I've considered going straight PC for this gen, but now I'm a little excited for the consoles. Although I would imagine (as it has always happened in the past) PC graphics will eventually surpass consoles in the not so distant future...

Great CAGcast! Also good to hear you that cheapy didn't get bashed on Neogaf this time for his appearance on 8-4 play. I hope you and scott do more guest spots on 8-4.

Hey guys, great show as always.I first started listening in 2007 while living in rural Japan. I'm now in Seoul and have returned to your site and your podcast after a couple year hiatus when news of the next generation broke. My interest in gaming has returned and I listen to all your podcast and think it's as great as ever. 

One thing that drew me to comment after not having commented in a long time is to say that, yes, Scott Popular was great. He'd be a great guest on your show. 

Keep the shows coming. I can't wait to hear what Wombat has to say about Xbox one. 

I don't see someone buying a $500 box because they are more interested in tv than in games not when they can already watch all the tv they want and probably have a DVR to watch it when they want.

I think anyone interested in tv more than games would be better off buying a Tivo which actually replaces your cable box and saves you money over time.  And maybe down the road buy a next-gen console when they get closer to $200-$300 and there are true next-gen games out for them.

The Xbox One should have been  a cable box/dvr. That would be a selling point. Edit: MS could still allow the hookup of an external USB cable card tuner.  And turn the Xbox One into a cable box/DVR that way.

btw the Wii U is the only console that does remote play and controls your cable box. :rofl:

The reason why the Wii U doesn't have a DS slot or a download solution for playing DS games has nothing to do with horsepower. The architecture of the two systems is completely different, so it's just not as easy as you might think.

The DS family uses the ARM family of processors (the regular DS actually has two processors - one for each screen); the Wii family uses the PowerPC family of processors.

It's the same reason why PS3 games can't carry over to the PS4. The only solution would be an emulator, which the Wii U might not be powerful enough to do reliably. It would also be a lot of work - not only making the emulator in the first-place, but maintaining little tweaks for each game.

Since Cheapy's such a fan of DC animated superheroes I'm surprised he didn't watch Young Justice. It was a great show. A better version of the DC Universe and continuity than modern DC Comics themselves. It took until the fourth episode, with Batman giving them an assignment, for it to take off. But once it did, it was compelling.

Great show, guys. Just to reaffirm what Shipwreck said, AC4 without the patch really doesn't look great. My friend and I came back from the PS4 midnight launch, threw in AC4 while PSN servers were being bombarded (ignored the patch), and were completely disappointed by what we saw. The scenes with rain, especially, looked awful. Needless to say we were much happier when the patch was installed.

Glad to hear you guys are mostly satisfied with the PS4 and Wombat's mic issues are taken care of. Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the XB1 next week; a lot of people seem impressed, though most of the streams I've seen of it are kind of underwhelming.

I just started listening and paused it to post this. Right after introducing Wombat as "point five better than you", you introduce Shipwreck as "a lot better than you". That's gotta be great for Wombat's self-esteem.

bread's done
Back