Reminder: Gamefly "Keep It" Option

demiveeman

CAG Newbie
Just wanted to remind everyone that Gamefly is offering $49.99 to buy used Xbox One games with their "Keep It" option.  I was notified they shipped out Forza Motorsport today for my rental and that the option was there to "Keep It".  I did it and applied a $5 coupon to get it for $46.79 (tax included).  Knowing that I'm the first one to get the game (since they haven't sent it out before), essentially means that I've gotten it brand new (only removed from packaging to put it in a sleeve). They are now sending me the case and booklet, etc.

You can use the "Keep It" option as soon as they schedule your game for shipment, you don't have to have received it yet or have had it for a period of time.  In actuality, I had cancelled my Gamefly account and they offered me a free month pre-paid to stay on...so lucky for that, I guess.  Might even be worth getting on a free Gamefly trial just to get some of these games early (essentially mint) for the discount. 

Just thought this might be a useful reminder to some of our Gamefly users that get an Xbox One game in the first batch of rentals.  Not sure if the same applies for PS4 games, but I assume it would.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is this, Reddit?

Sure, it may be in the wrong forum to post this but don't be a dick replying to the OP.

Hey, sorry guys. 

Didn't mean to break any rules.  I realize that this isn't technically a "deal".  I'm a long-time lurker of the site and just wanted to jump in and remind people about this in case they were going to pay full price for a game they were thinking about renting to begin with. 

What is the appropriate thread for these sorts of things?  I'll be sure to post these sorts of things there (if there are any more) in the future

Thanks!

This is actually a pretty good deal.

You're getting a disc that's perhaps totally new w/ mint packaging for $10 off MSRP, and if you're a Gamefly member, you might have coupons. That's win-win.

Thanks, OP!

Good idea, but it's a false discount. Unless you're getting tons of coupons, you have to remember to factor in the cost of the membership. As it stands, you paid retail price for a gutted game. If you get at least 3 "new" games with the keep it option per month (this might also send up red flags on an invisible limit for keeping games) you might save a little money, but not enough to make a huge difference. Plus you have to deal with the pain of the waiting system if you are unable to fanagle your way into getting a launch date copy. So if you want to deal with that, then awesome. Go nuts.

Good idea, but it's a false discount. Unless you're getting tons of coupons, you have to remember to factor in the cost of the membership. As it stands, you paid retail price for a gutted game. If you get at least 3 "new" games with the keep it option per month (this might also send up red flags on an invisible limit for keeping games) you might save a little money, but not enough to make a huge difference. Plus you have to deal with the pain of the waiting system if you are unable to fanagle your way into getting a launch date copy. So if you want to deal with that, then awesome. Go nuts.
How is it gutted? They send the case with all inserts. But this thread is clutter, as its for deals, and there are/have been much better options for deals on Xbox One Games.

How is it gutted? They send the case with all inserts.
I use the term gutted for any games that are opened without my knowledge. Who knows what else could've been inside? Now it's their standard policy to send everything that was in the box, but what if one day, one of the employees was like, "Hey I can sell these codes online before anybody requests for them, and noone will be the wiser because it's 'used'." I'd rather not take that chance.

Granted, it's not a proper use of the word "gutted", but that's how I choose to use it. Because the not knowing if it's complete would drive me insane.

I use the term gutted for any games that are opened without my knowledge. Who knows what else could've been inside? Now it's their standard policy to send everything that was in the box, but what if one day, one of the employees was like, "Hey I can sell these codes online before anybody requests for them, and noone will be the wiser because it's 'used'." I'd rather not take that chance.

Granted, it's not a proper use of the word "gutted", but that's how I choose to use it. Because the not knowing if it's complete would drive me insane.
Every Gamefly game I ever kept or ordered has come complete with unredeemed codes. This included a Growlanser game for the PS2 that came with all of the extras. Your paranoia is unjustified.

Gamefly's own used game policy even states it comes with everything from the manual to the codes. If your game is missing something, you would just call customer service.

"Our used games are 100% guaranteed, and come packaged with the original game case, manuals, and codes."

I've purchased several used games from Gamefly and have never received anything short of incredible condition.

Every game I've bought from them has had unused codes and been in perfect condition surprisingly.

That said, I don't know what's going on with their rental service.  Twice now in the last two months I have not received games - Last of Us and Batman Origins.  Sure, they sent another copy but that's 7 days of nothing.  Now, they haven't received Sonic Heroes after sending it over a week ago.  Not sure if someone at the post office is stealing games or there's some kind of shenanigans going on at Gamefly.  :whistle2:?  I'm worried they'll think I'm taking them.

That's like saying being a club member and shopping at the store is a false discount. Sure you actually have to use it, but if you weren't going to use it, then why sign up?

Good idea, but it's a false discount. Unless you're getting tons of coupons, you have to remember to factor in the cost of the membership.
I'm technically not paying for this month's membership. You must not have read my initial post entirely. I'm on a free membership from them (as would somebody if they signed up for a free one-month membership).

Even if you are paying for Gamefly, the paying is for "rentals", and as soon as you make a purchase, they will send you the next game in your queue for rental. So it really is a bonus to what you actually pay for - which is the ability to rent games.

Again, I didn't mean to post a false deal, I was just trying to be helpful as I totally didn't realize until this morning that that would save me some money and thought some others may be in the same position.

I'm technically not paying for this month's membership. You must not have read my initial post entirely. I'm on a free membership from them (as would somebody if they signed up for a free one-month membership).

Even if you are paying for Gamefly, the paying is for "rentals", and as soon as you make a purchase, they will send you the next game in your queue for rental. So it really is a bonus to what you actually pay for - which is the ability to rent games.

Again, I didn't mean to post a false deal, I was just trying to be helpful as I totally didn't realize until this morning that that would save me some money and thought some others may be in the same position.
It isn't a false deal. Pretty good deal IMO. They just sent me NFS Rivals on XboxOne and I may just have to purchase it. Your logic is sound too.

bread's done
Back