Monitor suggestions?

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (100%)
Finally upgrading from my old monitor and feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. Everything I google about monitors and TVs tI see seem to find 10 people arguing and name calling over refresh rates vs FPS and other such nonsense.

Id like to buy something that will take me through this gen. Nothing smaller then 23 inches.  Under $200 is what im hoping for with a set aside $300 budget. Id spend a bit more if there was a real reason to(crazy image quality or a size upgrade). I dont play tons of online games nor do I need a bunch of bells and whistles like a million USB ports/3.0 ports. I just want to get the best image I can afford  :bouncy:

Any help or suggestions is appreciated! I would also be willing to buy a used monitor or a TV if it makes a dif.

That's the thing though, you're never going to get a definitive answer about which one works best. I personally just pick whatever is in a budget I can afford. I usually just chose name brand 1080p type monitors, but I know this isn't enough info for you as I have no idea about other specs out there like refresh rate and so on. 

I usually just chose name brand 1080p type monitors
This would be my recommendation as well because, while 4K gaming may be a great thing to future-proof for in the PC space, we're still going to have another 5-8 years of major games where consoles are a large focus = 1080p.

comes down to two choices for me. this is in the 27 in. category.

Benq XL2720T (for your budget, the 24 inch version)

a TN panel and all the benefits and drawbacks associated with it. doesn't get much better than this and it doesn't get better than this for the price.

or 

ASUS VN279Q

amva+ panel.

again, the benefits and drawbacks associated with it. however unlike most in the ips category this one is within acceptable lag range for me personally. not the best ips picture, not as lag free as a tn, but a suitable compromise given my own standards.

both come in at around 300$

if i could have my pick of a perfect monitor? a 120hz 27 inch lag free ips panel with a 16:10 aspect ratio and a minimum 1920x1200 resolution. sadly this will probably never exist as there is practically no market for it so no matter what i get, it'll always be settling for less than i want.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your budget?  I think that's the most important question you need to answer before you start getting good suggestions.  For example, when I was monitor shopping myself, I set myself a budget of about 700 bucks or so for 2 monitors, so 350 a pop.  Then I just settled on an ultra wide for about 600 (video of my monitor).  And it's amazing for gaming (and working on excel sheets, but I find this reason to be secondary :D) for the games that support 2560x1080.

Honestly, I'd hold off for now. Wait and get one with G-sync when it comes out.
This is why I hadnt checked back in to the topic. Iv just seen so many positive previews for gsync now that its made me think its probably smart to wait a few months and see what happens. I read one preview where the guy was talking about being a guy that always is happy to give up resolution quality to have a bigger TV, yet he was so impressed with the 21' Demo unit they sent him that he said he had stopped playing on his 47" all together. As a fellow size ummmmm queen, anyways yeah screen size means a lot but this has me intrigued.

Yeah, it's worth at least waiting and seeing how G-sync works out.  Unless you NEED a monitor right now.  Even if G-sync is released and turns out to be just "meh", then it'll probably still drive down the price of older monitors without G-sync a little. 

You could always just buy one of the monitors out there now that will be G-Sync compatible. I just got myself the Asus VG248QE 144Hz and it's fantastic and will be G-Sync compatible. Doesn't match my 1440p Shimian IPS in terms of color and black levels (obviously since the Asus is a TN) but for gaming it's amazing. 

You could always just buy one of the monitors out there now that will be G-Sync compatible. I just got myself the Asus VG248QE 144Hz and it's fantastic and will be G-Sync compatible. Doesn't match my 1440p Shimian IPS in terms of color and black levels (obviously since the Asus is a TN) but for gaming it's amazing.
How does upgrading work? I actually looked at the monitor you recommended multiple times before ever creating this topic. So if upgrading is cheap and easy, id def consider this.

It's just going to be a chip that you put in the monitor yourself.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/introducing-nvidia-g-sync-revolutionary-ultra-smooth-stutter-free-gaming

Alternatively, if you’re a dab hand with a Philips screwdriver, you can purchase the kit itself and mod an ASUS VG248QE monitor at home. A complete installation instruction manual will be available to view online when the module becomes available, giving you a good idea of the skill level required for the DIY solution; assuming proficiency with modding, our technical gurus believe installation should take approximately 30 minutes.
The kits will supposedly be available to order this month. Not sure what they'll cost.

Bumping this for information pertaining to the previous subject.

G-Sync kits are now available for the Asus VG248QE. They're $200, with the total cost of the monitor and the kit combined you're looking at roughly $470. This leads me to believe that monitors that will be coming with G-Sync right out of the box are probably going to be anywhere from $500-$550, possibly more.

I'll probably hold off on getting a G-Sync kit for the time being.

Well I have a BENQ XL2720T and I'm happy with it, however as other users already mentioned before G-Sync is around the corner and might be worth waiting for, even if you don't want it the prices for other displays might drop.

bread's done
Back