I need an Android Tablet. Any generic brands ok?

Tablets are like tvs. You get what you pay for. Can you get a Element TV for cheap? Sure. Should you? Probably not. Should you get a Polaroid tablet? Eh probably not.

Get a Kindle fire HD or a samsung tab 2. $140 or less now adays. Try craigslist. People trying to get newer ones will discount the older ones.

i will just say that I purchased a zenithink tablet thinking anything would work. well, there is a stripe down the center of the screen that doesn't respond to touch, the wifi has about a 2 foot range, and i had to take it apart to reseat all the buttons.

i don't think its worth the risk when what you get can end up potentially useless

Pretty much what a lot of people are saying. My dad got my mom a cheapie 7-8 inch tablet, she dropped it once and now it doesn't power on/off properly. Majority of the name brand tablets are android 4+.  If looking used, also check Best Buy...I've seen a few tablets for sale as opened or clearance. 

I had someone at work with a CHEAP tablet, and you could not install the PLAY store on it (easily).  Since it was not my tablet, I did not want to unlock it.  Samsung and Dell have some cheap tablets these days.

I don't klnow what they go for these days but seeing as they are old by teck terms, if you can get a hold of a cheap motorolla xoom, I say go for it. I got one a few months after it came out and I use the thing every day. They did a great job supporting it over the years, in fact it even got an ipdate a few months ago that it shouldn't have and many other android user were looking for that update and baffled the zoom got it first.

It still holds up really, does everything I need it to do, etc. The only issues it has is that its really heavy. You may be able to find something newer and cheaper and if that's the case go for it but you come across a xoom and you like the price, don't worry about grabbing it. They are durable as all hell and really I just got my moneys worth for this sucker. This is the first gen xoom I can't attest to how reliable the newer version it.

I don't klnow what they go for these days but seeing as they are old by teck terms, if you can get a hold of a cheap motorolla xoom, I say go for it. I got one a few months after it came out and I use the thing every day. They did a great job supporting it over the years, in fact it even got an ipdate a few months ago that it shouldn't have and many other android user were looking for that update and baffled the zoom got it first.

It still holds up really, does everything I need it to do, etc. The only issues it has is that its really heavy. You may be able to find something newer and cheaper and if that's the case go for it but you come across a xoom and you like the price, don't worry about grabbing it. They are durable as all hell and really I just got my moneys worth for this sucker. This is the first gen xoom I can't attest to how reliable the newer version it.
Thanks

Been searching extensively the past few days for my wife, who just decided Sat she wanted a tablet for Christmas - but I've been looking the past few years when I first bought an iPod Touch 4th gen then traded it in for a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" last year - we narrowed it down to the new Nexus 7 on sale for $199 (can't Google come up w/ a better name?) and the Kindle Fire HDX for $179 with Amazon Visa card and Kindle Fire HD for $139 (to save a few books).  And while I've been typing this she called and the winner is:

Nook HD for $99 at Target. 

If you want a low cost tablet, that's my bets option. And no, B&N isn't getting out of the Nook business, they changed their mind in Aug. And the Nook HD was considered a good device for $139 back then. For $99 I think its the best low cost tablet. 1440 x 900 screen, full Google store, SD slot, Anrdoid dual boo form SD slot, no need to removed B&N.

I do realize $99 isn't technically cheap but I wouldnt buy anything advertised for less. 

Does nook use google play store? I dont wanna pay for my apps again.
Yes, they added it back in May or June. I would never recommend an Android tablet w/o it. Which is one of the reasons those cheaper Android tablets always make me hesitant. I have the Samsung Tab 2 and even their store is lacking. And I don't like the amazon store app on my Tab, that black background and layout, it's almost not worth looking at for the free daily games, was a factor in picking the Nook HD over the Fire HD.

Though I honestly don't know about paying for apps again from the store as I've only had 1 Apple Touch and 1 Android tablet so I repurchased a couple.

I'd recommend the Hisense Sero 7 Pro. I bought it in October for $130, and I haven't had a problem yet. It has a 1.3 GHz quad-core processor, 10 hours of battery life, Android 4.2 (Hisense is promising an upgrade to 4.3 very soon), NFC, and a mini HDMI port. Every professional review I've read is positive, and the user reviews are much more so.

Here's the link, but it isn't available online anymore for some reason.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-Sero-7-Pro-7-Tablet-Quad-Core-Processor-with-8GB-Memory-M470BSA/24805142#Specifications

This tablet at Gamestop is pretty cheap. And has a few decent reviews. And it's only 70 bucks.

http://www.gamestop.com/android/tablets/sophix-7-inch-tablet-tab-740g/111457
It's only $70 due to the 4 hour battery life and 800 x 480 screen resolution. My Tab 2 is 1024 x 600, same as the new Tab 3, which is why it was never in the discussion w/ my wife, and even that isn't great. It's ok, but I couldn't recommend it in 2013.

Sophix 7" tablet (Tab-740G)

Specifications:
  • Android OS 4.2 (Jelly Bean)
  • 7" Capacitive Touch Panel: 800 x 480
  • CPU: Dual Core - Cortex A9 - 1.2 GHz
  • Wireless - WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
  • 1GB Ram
  • Memory: 8GB
  • 4 Hours Battery Life to watch Video
  • 5.5 Battery Life regular use

I'd recommend the Hisense Sero 7 Pro. I bought it in October for $130, and I haven't had a problem yet. It has a 1.3 GHz quad-core processor, 10 hours of battery life, Android 4.2 (Hisense is promising an upgrade to 4.3 very soon), NFC, and a mini HDMI port. Every professional review I've read is positive, and the user reviews are much more so.

Here's the link, but it isn't available online anymore for some reason.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-Sero-7-Pro-7-Tablet-Quad-Core-Processor-with-8GB-Memory-M470BSA/24805142#Specifications
That sound pretty good. May have to stop by Walyworld tomorrow after the snow lets up before going to Target to purchase the Nook. Not sure my wife would accept an off-name brand though, she has snob issues.

I just recommended that tablet because I didn't know if the op had gamestop credit. Plus I'd recommend a Nexus 7 before a Galaxy Tab. Then the op will always have the newest version of android. Since most tablets rarely get updates after a year.

Tablets are like tvs. You get what you pay for. Can you get a Element TV for cheap? Sure. Should you? Probably not. Should you get a Polaroid tablet? Eh probably not.
Just b/c I like when my universe has a sense of humor, TRU has a $40 off coupon for the Polaroid for Wed. making it $89.99 rather than $129.99. I'm not researching a Polaroid tablet today - the $99 Nook is pretty much a done deal if I can find one at Target or Best Buy, but the Polaroid is cheaper and it's available online. Coupon code for WED only - 964782

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=21830296&cp=&parentPage=search

I just recommended that tablet because I didn't know if the op had gamestop credit. Plus I'd recommend a Nexus 7 before a Galaxy Tab. Then the op will always have the newest version of android. Since most tablets rarely get updates after a year.
I worded that poorly, I would NOT recommend the Tab 3 in 2013, nor the Tab 2, due to screen resolution, I didn't mean I wouldnt recommend the Sophix. Though I wouldn't, but that wasn't what I meant originally.

The Nook sounds like the best deal for a 7 inch. It's also the #1 rated tablet in Consumer Reports magazine.

Were you looking for any particular specs? I have an Asus Memopad Smart 10 which I love. It has a quad core processor, 16 GB memory, and a mini HDMI port (not many tablets have this port). It was $300 at Office Depot when I got it [as a birthday gift in September]. It's now half the price at Gamestop. http://www.gamestop.com/android/tablets/asus-me301t-a1-bl-tablet-nvidia-tegra-3-120ghz-101-1gb-ddr3-memory-16gb-black/108085

I'll admit I'm keeping an eye on the 7 inch Kindle Fire HDX . Not only does it work with the PS4, but you can watch Amazon Prime Instant video movies OFFLINE. I heard the selection for this feature isn't great right now, but I'm sure it will be improved upon next year.     

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the Hisense Sero Pro 7 they sell at Walmart. It is basically a clone of last year's Nexus 7 except this one has a microSD slot. They go for about $120 right now.

Anybody have any experience with the Hisense Sero 7 (Non pro version?)  It can be had as cheap as around $50 refurb and I was wondering if it was any good.  I've heard good things about the pro.

I can chime in and say the Nook HD is a great value.  My wife got one for $80 I think on Black Friday and it's working pretty good.  It took a while to get it updated all the way so that the Google Play Store would show up and it is a bit annoying you can't install the Amazon app store on it, but otherwise it's a really good deal if you can get it for $80.  

I recommend the Sero Pro as well. I have a Note 10.1 from work, and actually prefer the Hisense for games and light apps. It has less lag in starting apps, holds its charge well, and has a good looking screen.

The Hisense Sero non-pro screen is not that great and the battery life is significantly shorter. I would just go with the Pro model.

I'll admit I'm keeping an eye on the 7 inch Kindle Fire HDX . Not only does it work with the PS4, but you can watch Amazon Prime Instant video movies OFFLINE. I heard the selection for this feature isn't great right now, but I'm sure it will be improved upon next year.
Does the HDX run on Android or is it that pseudo-Android crap? When my (1st Gen) Kindle Fire was lost/stolen I replaced it with a Nexus rather than another Kindle because I got tired of the lack of compatibility with most of the Android apps. ("This application is not compatible with your device.")

I picked up a Xelio tablet at Walmart.com, for my 10 year old. $39 and he loves it.
And I bought my 17 year old, a Nook color for $30 from Radio Shack. I used a micro sd card and booted Android to it. Much better deal.
A old Kindle would work. But, it is a very restricted Android experience.

just a heads up if anyone out there is looking for a tablet, some Targets have the 8GB Nook HD on clearance for $64.50.  Its YMMV but worth checking out if you have a Target close by.  I picked one up but haven't messed around with it yet.

Does the HDX run on Android or is it that pseudo-Android crap? When my (1st Gen) Kindle Fire was lost/stolen I replaced it with a Nexus rather than another Kindle because I got tired of the lack of compatibility with most of the Android apps. ("This application is not compatible with your device.")
I believe it's "pseudo-Android". There is a separate Amazon app from the Google Play store that you can download on Android devices to get their App of the Day and some of Amazon's deals.

Just discovered (the hard way) that there's a flaw in the Nexus 7 where allowing the tablet battery to drain (either from use prompting an auto shutdown or lack of use for several days on a low battery) can "brick" the tablet. Thankfully mine is still under warranty but I'm a little miffed that Asus insists that I pay for the shipping (which they won't refund). When I get it back I'll have to make sure that I put it on the charger every few days for a little bit even if I don't plan on using it.

Just discovered (the hard way) that there's a flaw in the Nexus 7 where allowing the tablet battery to drain (either from use prompting an auto shutdown or lack of use for several days on a low battery) can "brick" the tablet. Thankfully mine is still under warranty but I'm a little miffed that Asus insists that I pay for the shipping (which they won't refund). When I get it back I'll have to make sure that I put it on the charger every few days for a little bit even if I don't plan on using it.
It's funny to read this just now, as that's what happened with mine. I got a 32GB 2012 Nexus 7 last December refurbished from NewEgg. It worked pretty well until early January when I let the battery drain because I hadn't used it in a few days. Upon trying to turn it back on it got stuck at the Google screen. I tried a wide variety of restore options utilizing the bootloader to no avail. I'm annoyed, but I didn't pay a lot for it and mainly just wanted it for watching videos while flying home for the Holidays.

Still it makes me nervous as hell about the prospect of getting another Asus tablet. If anyone is considering a 1st gen Nexus 7, keep this in mind.

I advise against generic ones. My gf got one for Christmas a year ago, and it is garbage. No memory, no SD slot, slow as shit, and the charger is a piece of garbage to boot. Avoid Avoid Avoid.

Anyone check out the refreshed Hisense line at Walmart? My last year model still works great but at this price I wouldn't mind upgrading every year if the improvements are there.

+1 on the Hisense... pretty good tablet.
The Hisense 7 Pro I got refurbished from Newegg for my son last Christmas has a hard time charging now. The usb socket seems loose and sometimes it says its charging but nothing happens. Other times it doesn't recognize anything is plugged in at all. Sucks because the tablet is fast and the screen is nice. He's gone back to using a hacked Nook color when he wants to watch Minecraft videos. Lol.

bread's done
Back