Free Killzone Shadow Fall Season Pass at Best Buy - YMMV?

kannofan

CAGiversary!
The other day I went to Best Buy and in the PS4 section saw this Killzone Shadow Fall Season Pass for PS4 marked down to FREE.

1ZXbFQFl.jpg

Cashier tried to ring it up but it kept charging the $19.99. 20 minutes later or so, a manager came over and did an override.

Now, I just have to get the game.

Receipt proof.

u6eudTRl.jpg

Hope this helps someone else!

I tried getting it and was denied. Anyone feel like being generous and giving me your code? I know, not likely. Still maybe I'll try another BB

Unfortunately the Gears Judgement season pass/1600 pt code cards like those ring up as not able to be sold.

I still have my free $25 Ouya credit :/

Gonna try and see if this is at my Best Buy tomorrow. I seriously doubt it though. My Best Buy never has anything remotely as good as this.

If anyone happens to not use their code, or manages to grab an extra, then PM me and we might be able to work something out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw New Super Luigi U marked for free like this a few months ago but already had the game and didn't really feel like going through the hassle of trying to get it again for free. I wonder what causes it to print a free tag though..

Honestly I dont think I'd have the balls to even try. Like the target tomb raider thing. I didnt have the guts to try.
One thing that really helped was taking a picture of the Free tag with my phone and showing that to the cashier. Once the manager saw that, he overrode the price.

Went to my best buy in Nampa ID and they essentially told me to screw off. One associate went to get a manager only to find out that he wasn't a manager and he took me to another dude who apparently was a manager. They all said feel free to take the cards they wont do anything but they were free. Naturally I should have known better as this best buy is total horse **** in customer service. Any who if you happen to be in the Washington, Idaho, and Oregon areas and need to talk to a general manager he's on linkedin. 

Went to my best buy in Nampa ID and they essentially told me to screw off. One associate went to get a manager only to find out that he wasn't a manager and he took me to another dude who apparently was a manager. They all said feel free to take the cards they wont do anything but they were free. Naturally I should have known better as this best buy is total horse **** in customer service. Any who if you happen to be in the Washington, Idaho, and Oregon areas and need to talk to a general manager he's on linkedin.
Not that they will honor it, but the law usually is that if there is a price mistake but the price mistake is believable (say, a $99.99 for $89.99) and reasonable that they must honor it.

In this case, it's a download code. The paper is worthless without going through a transaction -- so buy saying "Free" they are really implying that they are giving away the DLC.

I was just super polite and acted a little clueless and a lot grateful.

I remember something similar happening at best buy 1 or 2 years ago with the AC3 Season Pass. That time everyone got one with no questions asked.

Not that they will honor it, but the law usually is that if there is a price mistake but the price mistake is believable (say, a $99.99 for $89.99) and reasonable that they must honor it.
There is no such law and hate when people say this. It's just good customer service for stores to honor the price if it's within reason.

There is no such law and hate when people say this. It's just good customer service for stores to honor the price if it's within reason.
There is in certain states, its just not a federal law. I know here in MA stores actually have to have the law posted somewhere in the store. The posting part is loosely enforced but there are quite a few places that have it.

Honestly I dont think I'd have the balls to even try. Like the target tomb raider thing. I didnt have the guts to try.
there is no try, only do.

whats the worst that could happen?

and for all of yinz begging for one, do yer own damn legwork and go get it yourself.

There is in certain states, its just not a federal law. I know here in MA stores actually have to have the law posted somewhere in the store. The posting part is loosely enforced but there are quite a few places that have it.
In MA it only refers to stores that sell food. You may be able to make the argument that the specific paragraph in MGL Ch 24 Section 184 referring to correct pricing does not specify food stores, but the introductory paragraph to the Section defines that the law is only applicable to food stores.

I tried at the BB near work and the guy working in the game section was a complete fucking retard. When I found out how stupid he was, I didn't even try. Seriously, he was THAT moronic. Good luck for anyone checking their BBs.

so for everyone trying to get it free, was it marked free in your store like the OP's? Or did you just take it up and tell them it was supposed to be free?

Just went to best buy and it had no price tag on the rack. I asked 2 guys who told me those "never" go on sale. But then one of the 2 employees also was explaining that the original xbox 360 slims didn't have wifi until the "matte" finish came out. So that was the "calibur" of quality I was dealing with. No luck.

I checked 2 best buys. First one didn't even have the season pass displayed. Second one had them but no price tag so I didn't bother trying my luck.

Just went to best buy and it had no price tag on the rack. I asked 2 guys who told me those "never" go on sale. But then one of the 2 employees also was explaining that the original xbox 360 slims didn't have wifi until the "matte" finish came out. So that was the "calibur" of quality I was dealing with. No luck.
I don't see why you're mocking these people. Generally speaking, cards like that "never" do go on sale and back when Target cleared out Kindle cards, MANY people on CAG said the same thing. In all honesty, they have no reason to put those things on sale and I imagine it would be more worthwhile to just throw them away than sell at a discounted rate.

I don't see why you're mocking these people. Generally speaking, cards like that "never" do go on sale and back when Target cleared out Kindle cards, MANY people on CAG said the same thing. In all honesty, they have no reason to put those things on sale and I imagine it would be more worthwhile to just throw them away than sell at a discounted rate.
So when people don't bother to help you AT their retail store, let alone even check a price for you AND lie to customers and me stating what happened is now "mocking" them? I've worked retail for MANY years and believe me I know what these people go through. I'm extremely courteous to retail employees and give them the benefit of the doubt. But attitudes like this are unnecessary and really rub me the wrong way. So no, I'm not mocking anybody just relaying my unsatisfying experience at Best Buy.

Just tried my best buy. Had no price tag on the shelf. Took one to the cashier and tried to buy, rang up at full price. I then casually mentioned "hey, i saw online that these were marked down to free", showed her the picture. Called over the manager and he confirmed, they are not free. 

The only explanation other than user error he had was that maybe that store was clearing out its digital cards, and it was a local thing. 

So when people don't bother to help you AT their retail store, let alone even check a price for you AND lie to customers and me stating what happened is now "mocking" them? I've worked retail for MANY years and believe me I know what these people go through. I'm extremely courteous to retail employees and give them the benefit of the doubt. But attitudes like this really rub me the wrong way. So no, I'm not mocking anybody just relaying my experience at Best Buy.
1) Odds are (99.99999%) it would have rang up $19.99, not free. Even the OP notes that it rang up for $19.99, but they got the manager to match the price because the sticker said free. You could show them the image on your phone and make a claim, but I sincerely doubt you would have got the match. The post above mine also notes this.

2) First off, it's only lying if you know that they know the information is incorrect. "to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive" <- Thats what a lie is. Odds are they're just uninformed, inaccurate or unaware of what they're talking about. I do think they should know if they work in the gaming department, but it's wrong to expect that the employees in the gaming department know anything/everything. There are a good number of employees that can't even get their policies right, much less know what features an Xbox has.

3) Intended or not, you were mocking them and are continuing to do so.

A) They did help you, they told you those things don't go on sale, which is generally true. Others have noted that the price rings up for $19.99 as they said. I agree they should have rang it up, though I suppose this relies more on how you asked the question and what you expected them to do. If you just said "are these on sale" and they said "No. They never go on sale", then you're 99.99% in the wrong. If you asked them to ring it up and they said no, then I will agree they're wrong in that instance.

B) The second you say they're lying, you're trying to paint them in a nasty light. You can't prove they're lying, so you shouldn't automatically default on malicious accusations.

C) You can give your reactions and you can give them whatever way you want, but remember that you open yourself up whenever you reply. I think it is wrong to imply you were dealing with low caliber employees, when most of your stance is based off implied information.

1) Odds are (99.99999%) it would have rang up $19.99, not free. Even the OP notes that it rang up for $19.99, but they got the manager to match the price because the sticker said free. You could show them the image on your phone and make a claim, but I sincerely doubt you would have got the match. The post above mine also notes this.

2) First off, it's only lying if you know that they know the information is incorrect. "to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive" <- Thats what a lie is. Odds are they're just uninformed, inaccurate or unaware of what they're talking about. I do think they should know if they work in the gaming department, but it's wrong to expect that the employees in the gaming department know anything/everything. There are a good number of employees that can't even get their policies right, much less know what features an Xbox has.

3) Intended or not, you were mocking them and are continuing to do so.

A) They did help you, they told you those things don't go on sale, which is generally true. Others have noted that the price rings up for $19.99 as they said. I agree they should have rang it up, though I suppose this relies more on how you asked the question and what you expected them to do. If you just said "are these on sale" and they said "No. They never go on sale", then you're 99.99% in the wrong. If you asked them to ring it up and they said no, then I will agree they're wrong in that instance.

B) The second you say they're lying, you're trying to paint them in a nasty light. You can't prove they're lying, so you shouldn't automatically default on malicious accusations.

C) You can give your reactions and you can give them whatever way you want, but remember that you open yourself up whenever you reply. I think it is wrong to imply you were dealing with low caliber employees, when most of your stance is based off implied information.
So I guess I reached that part of CAG. But if "implied information" is what I personally went through is your argument along with other things you mentioned POINTING me in a "bad light" then I have no reason to further argue with you.

A) I don't think you are an incompetent person but B) you must have some gripe against something retail related as an experience which I've had many horrible ones as a retail employee. If anything I am 100% on the retail workers side. THAT being said, only telling me that something never goes on sale and not wanting to help me further IS NOT HELPING SOMEONE. As subjunctive as you may seem to think it be, they were very unhelpful and didn't want to help me. End of story. If someone would have JUST taken a moment to check for me I would have had no problem. But if you want to continue to say that I am mocking them, fine, but then you are mocking me even more so by telling me what I experienced when you weren't there.

I had a similar experience with this during the BF weekend sales.  I was browsing and saw about 5 COD 1600 points cards among newer cards. The tag said FREE so i grabbed the whole stash (new/old).  A mgr. was up when I brought them, and just stated that the ring up $0.00 until the $20 blah blah was activated.  I didn't press, the guy was price-matching me on a i5-3570k from $229 to $149.

But man, dat CAG in me had to try.

Just wanted to let people know I tried but the manager said it was only free if you bought the game itself with it. I was tempted to try a buy + return but knew I would run into problems so I declined. My roommate already has Shadow Fall.

bread's done
Back