Target credit/debit breach, Black Friday to Dec. 15

Dammit... I used it a bunch of times during that period. 

I hate how long it takes Target debit card purchases to show up on my bank account. I hope I don't have to deal with this shit. 

I have a credit card through Target, I don't think I have too much too worry about but would still be trouble if they make a copy of my card and sell it to someone, I guess I will have to keep an eye on the transactions I make.

nothing going on with my bank card... hope no cags get hit with anything

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name="MetalSlugger" post="11363836" timestamp="1387423834"]I know this isn't a deal or the right subforum, but it's relevant/important to CAG BF sales: if you used a credit/debit card at Target from Black Friday through Dec. 15, you might want to call your bank:http://m.startribune.com/?id=236443001[/quote]

Thanks for the hopefully unwarranted paranoia; another Target Debit card owner here. At least my bank account is an online one so I get emails everytime there's a charge/withdrawal. Haven't noticed anything crazy yet, just he usual two-day delays from Target. Crossiiiiiiing finnnngers.... NOW.

That's awesome. I went to a Target store opening in NH at 8pm Thanksgiving and a 1am opening here in MA. Twice the chance of a potential breach.

just send me your credit card numbers and pins and i'll double check everything for you guys and make sure everythings on the level

My dad-in-law had suspicious activity before Black Friday, I think like 2 to 3 weeks before. He has a Target card but hasn't used it for awhile when he got a call from them to confirm some purchases. He didn't purchase anything. Good thing they froze the account. I'm not sure what he did next though.

Glad i used cash for my purchases there. But my parents I know for sure used their CCs. Gotta help them monitor. Help your family and spread this news! Thanks fellow CAG for this info!

thanks for the info op, gonna check my statement tomorrow and over the weekend.

would people who made a pre-order at target be affected by this? more specifically, those who preordered with a debit card? because I know target holds a charge forever in if a debit card is used

I actually appreciate the heads up on this. A lot of  people shop Target regularly for groceries and what not so kind of a big deal. This may sound weird but this is actually why I use a credit card. A buffer basically between what is being charged and my bank. The fact I get money back to spend on Amazon is just a nice bonus.

Hmmm....

Odds are good we'll see a Slidecage thread about this. I'm willing to guess he is a victim of this regardless if he shopped at Target or not.

I... think I've only paid cash? I can't remember anything I bought besides a random can of biscuits a few days ago. And the B2G1, but that was before Black Friday.

This is interesting though, thanks for the notice.

Assuming the breach is as extensive as the article says, the likelyhood of finding any sort of suspicious activity this early after the breach would probably be minimal. Think about the number of transactions that take place every minute across the nation, and where your 1 or 2 account's (or however many accounts you may have used) worth of transactions fit in. I imagine whoever breached their system would hold on to the card information until this story peaks and then becomes forgotten.

"Check your statements for suspicious activity," isn't the advice I would give in this case...If one made a purchase at a Target store between 11/29/13-12/15/13 with the use of a Debit/Credit card, it'd be in that individual's best interest to request a new card and account number for that Debit/Credit account. This is very inconvenient, if you're like me, because I have utilized one of the cards that I made a purchase with, at Target on Black Friday, for many years. Simply thinking about the amount of time I'll have to invest in updating accounts that utilize that card makes my head spin.

However, it's a "better safe than sorry" situation that I'll have to deal with. I'm willing to bet a majority of individuals that come across the story will do one of two things:

1) Blow it off and assume nothing could happen to their money.
2) Take a second to look over their statements, find nothing wrong, and keep their current Cards/Account Numbers.

Meanwhile, this story comes and goes, and 6 months from now, a rash of fraudulent transactions take place and suddenly hundreds or thousands of individuals are now stuck with an identity theft problem, which could've all been avoided by taking the precautionary measure of having your Card/Account Numbers changed to begin with.

Just my ฿฿

Oh joy just realized someone in my family who has access to my card used in that period. These types of idiots should be dragged into the street and beaten already so sick of all criminal trash.

Goddamn you, vacuity. That makes so much sense that I'm just gonna have to get a new card. I think there's only 3 things that come off my card automatically.

Does this apply to Target Red Cards as well?  I do not have the Target Visa Red Card, only the Target Red Card valid for in-store purchases and at Target.com.  I know I certainly used my Target Red Card in-store between 11/29/13 - 12/15/13.  Thanks in advance for any answers given.

Damn. My debit card was actually compromised this past weekend. I've used it numerous times at various targets since Black Friday. I have no clue if it is related to Target but I can't think of how else it would've been stolen. I started noticing suspicious $1 charges to my card, which turned to $125 when they were posted FYI.

If I made a payment online through PayPal am I still at risk?
No, read the article, it specifically says data was stolen from the magnetic card strips in-store.

I was just at Target this Tuesday, the 17th. Other than that I haven't bought anything there in a while but I'm sure others in my family have. I'll be sure to pass the info along to them and I hope this gets more coverage in the media. Goddamn it, Target.

Damn, I used my debit card twice, Guess gonna heed that dudes advice and make changes to my account. 

bread's done
Back