FREE for NA/US PS+ in Jan; PS4: Don't Starve; PS3: DmC, Bioshock Infinite, Brothers; Vita: Smart as, Worms Battle Islands

Electroplasm

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Playstation Plus Instant Game Collection (Jan 2014):

Vita: Smart as (1.4GB), Worms Battle Islands (89.6MB)

PS4: Don't Starve
PS3: Devil May Cry (6.5GB), Bioshock Infinite (6.4GB), Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (625MB)

The January 2013 Instant Games Collection promo is in the ps store. I put the titles in the thread title to give everyone a heads up. Good thing I didn't re-buy Bioshock or purchase the other games yet. Brothers is currently on sale on xbox, steam, and eu psn but now I can get it for free.

Amazon Android App Store (Live NOW):

Sonic 2 & Angry Birds Star Wars 2 are among the free apps @ Amazon

Last edited by a moderator:
I have such a love/hate relationship with ps+, considering I recently bought DmC for $10 through GMG and Steam respectively and have been waiting for a flash on Don't Starve and Brothers. So, win some lose some. But in the end, I suppose it does give me a reason to revisit some titles that I've want to replay.

thanks for the heads up!!!

Question, if I  have a ps3/ps4 but not yet a vita

I can still "buy" free vita games on my account, and when I own a vita be able to play them for free right?

Also if I let my psn plus lapse, then renew it, ill still be able to play any "free" psn plus games that I previously owned right?

Or do you lose them?

Wow! Amazing month! I wanted to buy all of these but for one reason or anotherddecided not to or it was sold out. This is the first month in a while I didn't own at least one of the games.

thats awesome i was just about to buy brothers! and seeing that i can play dmc for free i'll be grabbing that as well. very good.

The January 2013 Instant Games Collection promo is in the ps store:

PS3: Devil May Cry (6.5GB), Bioshock Infinite (6.4GB), Brothers (625MB)

I put the titles in the thread title to give everyone a heads up. Good thing I didn't re-buy Bioshock or purchase the other games yet. Brothers is currently on sale on xbox, steam, and eu psn but now I can get it for free.
You know this is just a rumor, right? Even if it's 99% chance of happening, that doesn't mean it will.

Wow. Pretty awesome month. 

Wish I didn't buy DMC on 360 now. Oh well. No way I'll play both versions, so I guess I'll be playing the 360 one since I paid for it (and I think I read it ran slightly better). 

Glad I passed on Bioshock Infinite for $13 on last weeks XBL sale. I was holding out for $9.99 digital or $15 retail. But now it's free.  :D/

Does the digital version of Infinite include the original bioshock? ... I mean, I think I already might have it somewhere on psn but I'm just curious ;)

Question, if I have a ps3/ps4 but not yet a vita

I can still "buy" free vita games on my account, and when I own a vita be able to play them for free right?

Also if I let my psn plus lapse, then renew it, ill still be able to play any "free" psn plus games that I previously owned right?

Or do you lose them?
Yes you can "buy" the vita games and play them when you get a vita.

Also you can replay all the psn games that you "bought" when you renew your plus.

Playstation Plus Instant Game Collection (Jan 2014):

PS3: Devil May Cry (6.5GB), Bioshock Infinite (6.4GB), Brothers (625MB)

The January 2013 Instant Games Collection promo is in the ps store. I put the titles in the thread title to give everyone a heads up. Good thing I didn't re-buy Bioshock or purchase the other games yet. Brothers is currently on sale on xbox, steam, and eu psn but now I can get it for free.

Amazon Android App Store (Live NOW):

Sonic 2 & Angry Birds Star Wars 2 are among the free apps @ Amazon Android Appstore
Good thing I waited on DmC and Bioshock! =D They will be mine. Oh, yes...they WILL be mine...

Question, if I have a ps3/ps4 but not yet a vita

Or do you lose them?
you can"buy" the vita games to the ps3 without a vita but i think if you let it laps your out of luck ..

What part is a rumor?
All? The information comes from a video on the PlayStation Store under the free games section I guess. The video mentions those games, but this information has not been confirmed by Sony and could change at any point. For this reason alone, SCEA moved to the weekly format, since people were pissed at things changing between the announcement and the day it happened. They went back to the old format after a while, but they've always said this stuff is subject to change. We've also seen previously announced free games get replaced, like Orc Attack Flatulent Rebellion was changed to God Eater Burst over a delay and Drive Club was replaced with Contrast over a delay.

So while the information is most likely correct and will most likely be what is mentioned in the OP, the information is still uncertain.

Wow at ps+. Sure you don't really own the games, but great for games you'd never really buy of try unless it was free.
So true. Reminds me of the $50 for 12 weeks of game rentals during summer many years ago at blockbusters. Only difference, you never return any of the games you rent on PS+.

Just bought Bishock for my brother's xmas present. He doesn't have Plus, but I leave my account on his PS3 so he can grab what he wants. 

Plus is like that old school sega channel, that's how I describe it.

With people transferring over to the ps4, free top tier ps3 games ftw!

Donte? Ugh...

PSN+ codes (like I got from Amazon) don't expire right? I can wait another month to input it (didn't put it in at the start of December as I had all the games)

yeah im waiting on 2 of my amazon ps+ codes in case they do the 'add a year, get 3 months promo' they did last january or so.

also im ps+ til 2019. i know i don't 'own' these games, but really, 2019, that's insane. My oldest daughter will be 20. insane.

Umm, *double checks for EU*. . .wow!  It has taken two years but my PS+ sub has finally paid off.  Don't Starve, Brothers, and DMC: all games I've wanted to try but wouldn't buy.  Glad my PS4 will be getting some more use next month lol.

ritchardf said:
good month, but there is a megathread for ps plus deals
Yes, there is - but without having seen this heads up with the games in the title, I would have bought Brothers on the 360. Seriously, I was just about to do it. I'm so glad I didn't as not only would I get it for free, but I prefer playing stuff on the PS3. So, yeah, thanks OP!

Thanks, indeed. I wouldn't consider paying anything for DmC since I dislike the character design and crass direction (much prefer older Dante), but free is worth checking out.

Yeah, I just recently bought Guacamelee and Spelunky when they were on sale. The former is certainly a good candidate to go free at some point. Because of that I made sure to play both of those games as soon as possible. I'm nearly done with both. If they go free in 6-12 months I won't mind. It only gets me when I buy something and never get around to playing it first before it is free ;). So I try to be pretty selective about what I buy that's for sure.

Donte? Ugh...

PSN+ codes (like I got from Amazon) don't expire right? I can wait another month to input it (didn't put it in at the start of December as I had all the games)
They should not expire AFAIK. If u put it in now, it just extends ur PS+ sub or starts a new sub now. If u have the patience you can wait till they have a buy 12 months PS+ get 3 free promo like others here have said and put it in at that time.

If nothing in the PS+ store is worth getting for ur taste, and u dont have a subscription yet, I would wait until the day a game you like is added or worst case the day before a game u like is being taken off PS+ to join. That way ur sub ends 12 months from that day.

Another feature worth mentioning is cloud save. Sometimes when my PS3 crashed, I lost all my save data. I wish I had PS+ then.

yeah im waiting on 2 of my amazon ps+ codes in case they do the 'add a year, get 3 months promo' they did last january or so.

also im ps+ til 2019. i know i don't 'own' these games, but really, 2019, that's insane. My oldest daughter will be 20. insane.
I thought that promo only worked if you buy 1-year of Plus using your PSN wallet funds

I liked Bioshock Infinite but I didn't think it was as good as a lot of other people.
It wasn't. The gameplay was flat and its only saving grace was story/presentation.

The best shooter of this year was Metro Last Light and nobody even talks about the game. This generation of kids smh. . .

FML. I need to stop buying PS3 games. Digital or Physical. Seriously.

Got DmC and Bioshock Infinite when the PS Plus discounted prices were low enough for me. And now, it's part of the IGC.

bread's done
Back